IGNORED

Gary Johnson ?

cottsciderarmy

Gay Johnson  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's been bugging me, we sacked Johnson because we felt he had taken us as far as he could, He led us to two top ten finishes in the Championship and was still comfortable in mid table when we sacked him. In the Johnson era I think the fans have been at their happiest (last season apart) and he created a bond between him and the fans which made us like a 12th man. His team of work horses (no stars and arguably weaker than the team we have now) punched well above their weight, and he definitely got the best out of players, and was able to put together a team good enough to compete in this league.

Did we sack him unfairly ? Thinking we were a Premier League team in waiting ? What I would give for a comfortable mid table Championship side now. 

He has Cheltenham top of the conference, but he has always had us close to his heart and him and SL are mates, and SL always supported him in the transfer market. I personally feel with Johnson in charge we would not go down and he would get more out of this group of players and certainly wouldn't let them get away with some of the poor performances that they are currently showing.

So my question is simple, if GJ rang up SL tomorrow morning and asked to come back and save us, what would you do if you were Lansdown?

30 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Options 1 and 3.

He should never have been sacked but it wont work twice. 

Anyone know the real reason why Johnson was sacked?  Anyone remember that night down in Plymouth?

It wasn't simply because his team were struggling.......it was far more serious than that.

32 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Options 1 and 3.

He should never have been sacked but it wont work twice. 

Many good managers are sacked . I think the problem is burn out .

They are generally under immense pressure from all angles and eventually this produces bizarre behaviour , strange decision making and a loss of control resulting in the inévitable sack .

i actually feel that we kept GJ a little too long .

The old days of managers running the club from top to bottom should be consigned to the past .The job has become too much .This is why ,IMHO, we should have stuck to our guns and appointed a first team coach and not let Cotts dictate his job description .

Who knows may be we'd be making a better fist of it if Cotts had only the first team to worry about ?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Anyone know the real reason why Johnson was sacked?  Anyone remember that night down in Plymouth?

It wasn't simply because his team were struggling.......it was far more serious than that.

No but maybe you could tell us, along with the time he called you into his office?

I must admit I'm quite surprised by the response, in my opinion Johnson is the best manager we've had here for a very long time. Like Cotts he came in when we were struggling in League One and sured things up and the following season won promotion. However in my opinion Johnson made shrewd additions to the club and had us competitive in this league twice being in the top ten and when relived of his duties we were 13th ! 

Now we have a man in charge who bettered Johnson's promotion by winning the league, but everything since has been a disaster, and we look a worse team now than when SOD took us into League One.

Maybe I'm blinded vision but when Johnson was in charge even when we went 1-0 down or 2-0 down against anyone in the league there was still a feeling we could and would turn it around. I remember many games going 2 own and coming back and drawing or even winning. Johnson's players never gave up, never shirked a tackle and over the course of his tenure was probably he most enjoyable time I have had as a City fan in my life.

When this team go 1-0 down, I just think oh well, another defeat !

Sometimes certain managers and chairman just click and they are a good fix. Johnson was never over ambitious in his signings but he was bloody shrewd and he did not waste Lansdowns money and him and Lansdown remained close, even when he left the club there was no bitterness, Johnson himself wanted to see BCFC in the Premier League and doubted if he was the man for the job and steppe aside to let someone carry on the mantle, instead this club has regressed and regressed rapidly and apart from a glorious season last year, we now look appalling and I fear if we go down this season which is looking more likely, we won't bounce back up in a year or two this time, I fear a long slog of lower league football and more worryingly probably being overtaken by the Rovers.

I reckon if Johnson came in now, there would not be a cat in hells chance of us going down even with our current squad, he simply wouldn't let it happen. To me Cotts comes across as he doesn't give a damn and will just blame everyone else and take any responsibility for his own mistakes and short comings.

Nope, wouldn't entertain the idea

Done a great job at the time, but he hit his City sell by date a long, long time ago

I'd be looking at a Justin Edinburgh type, young, ambitious - just the kind of person we need to carry on the great job that SC has started

9 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

I must admit I'm quite surprised by the response, in my opinion Johnson is the best manager we've had here for a very long time. Like Cotts he came in when we were struggling in League One and sured things up and the following season won promotion. However in my opinion Johnson made shrewd additions to the club and had us competitive in this league twice being in the top ten and when relived of his duties we were 13th ! 

Now we have a man in charge who bettered Johnson's promotion by winning the league, but everything since has been a disaster, and we look a worse team now than when SOD took us into League One.

Maybe I'm blinded vision but when Johnson was in charge even when we went 1-0 down or 2-0 down against anyone in the league there was still a feeling we could and would turn it around. I remember many games going 2 own and coming back and drawing or even winning. Johnson's players never gave up, never shirked a tackle and over the course of his tenure was probably he most enjoyable time I have had as a City fan in my life.

Sometimes certain managers and chairman just click and they are a good fix. Johnson was never over ambitious in his signings but he was bloody shrewd and he did not waste Lansdowns money and him and Lansdown remained close, even when he left the club there was no bitterness, Johnson himself wanted to see BCFC in the Premier League and doubted if he was the man for the job and steppe aside to let someone carry on the mantle, instead this club has regressed and regressed rapidly and apart from a glorious season last year, we now look appalling and I fear if we go down this season which is looking more likely, we won't bounce back up in a year or two this time, I fear a long slog of lower league football and more worryingly probably being overtaken by the Rovers.

I reckon if Johnson came in now, there would not be a cat in hells chance of us going down even with our current squad, he simply wouldn't let it happen. To me Cotts comes across as he doesn't give a damn and will just blame everyone else and take any responsibility for his own mistakes and short comings.

He took Cheltenham down and Yeovil . 

13 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

He took Cheltenham down and Yeovil . 

He also took Yeovil to the Championship which in my eyes is better than any achivement he did here. He actually picked them up from the lower parts of L1, saved them and then took them up. Having done it in two stages he pretty much took Yeovil from the Southern Conference to the Championship.   I don't think you can attribute too much blame to Cheltenham's relegation, they were in a mess when he got there. He's turned them around pretty well this season.

However his time has been and gone and I agree that a return wouldn't work.

Never go back.

Johnson was the best manager we've had in many years and Cotterill hasn't overtaken him yet. However, Johnson's team was made up of experienced players and was better suited to making the step up than Cotterill's. However, the young players in the current team have more potential than Johnson's because they still have time to improve.

Both managers are reasonably pragmatic and focussed on winning to the exclusion of everything else but for whatever reason, be it his own desires or the strategy laid down by the board, Cotterill's recruitment has been largely of young, inexperienced players whereas Johnson was allowed to go for old pros and did so.

What Johnson did do well, that Cotterill failed at, was recruitment after promotion. He signed (if I recall correctly) an experienced free transfer forward (Byfield), one of the best forwards in the division below (Trundle), an SPL player (Sproule), an experienced Championship player who'd just been relegated (Elliot) and an experienced mid-range Championship player (McIndoe). All except Trundle had good experience at at least Championship or SPL level but all were realistic signings who would come to a newly-promoted side. For whatever reason, Cotterill and co were unable to find players like these and the only offers we heard about were unrealistically ambitious ones for players at, or headed for, top sides.

30 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

How much was peter styvar?

No from me, his time here is done and we shouldn't go back. Will always be grateful for all he achieved at City but if rumours regarding him and Sproule at Plymouth are true then SL had no choice. As we stand, IMO, he stands ahead of Cotts in the list of City managers. Still hopeful that Cotts can overtake him though - he might be points behind but he still has games in hand.

14 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

He also took Yeovil to the Championship which in my eyes is better than any achivement he did here. He actually picked them up from the lower parts of L1, saved them and then took them up. Having done it in two stages he pretty much took Yeovil from the Southern Conference to the Championship.   I don't think you can attribute too much blame to Cheltenham's relegation, they were in a mess when he got there. He's turned them around pretty well this season.

However his time has been and gone and I agree that a return wouldn't work.

He also contributed greatly to where Yeovil are at this moment, he's a manager who does things in the short term but has no long term objective.

It can look good on his cv, but the manager/managers who follow him always find it hard to pick up the pieces with how he has left a club!

48 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

I think your memories are a bit selective, I also remember us letting 6 in at home to Cardiff and 5 at home to Doncaster when we were taken apart by a young JET. The early seasons were great but the players had lost confidence in him towards the end and it showed.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention his name…

We talk about the club repeating the same mistakes. His tenure might have been successful up to a point but if we are going to replace the manager we need someone to push onwards and upwards, not continuously selecting from the same lower division pool of management*. 

*I know SC has come from the lower league of management but he was recruited when we were in L1. 

Don't get me wrong, I love GJ and will always have fond memories of his time here BUT he wasted a lot of money and its that which has probably lead to our current reluctance to splash out on wages. 

Also, managers effectively resign what they punch their players in the dressing room!

Archived