IGNORED

A whole lotta questions answered soon

Marina's Rolls Royce

4 hours ago, citywest30 said:

A good read Spudski and like I said he talks a good game. For what it's worth, I don't think he was that far away and given more time may have done ok but I don't for one second regret the club's decision as last season was the season of a lifetime and I'll always be grateful to Cotts for that. SoD for me was possibly the right man at the wrong time - he just couldn't get rid of the losing mentality something that Cotts did with ease.

It certainly was a good read, so thank you to Spudski.

You know, I have no idea how SC and SO'D got on personally when they were together at Nottingham Forest, but it did occur to me on several occasions when SO'D was struggling with the team, but apparently making advances behind the scenes, that he might benefit from SC's, let's say, more positive and agressive assistance.

More recently, when there was talk (on OTIB, at least) of wanting to bring in Neil Warnock, I wondered whether there might have been some benefit in trying to convince SO'D to return in some advisory capacity behind the scenes, especially as he had just been dismissed from Liverpool. 

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It certainly was a good read, so thank you to Spudski.

You know, I have no idea how SC and SO'D got on personally when they were together at Nottingham Forest, but it did occur to me on several occasions when SO'D was struggling with the team, but apparently making advances behind the scenes, that he might benefit from SC's, let's say, more positive and agressive assistance.

More recently, when there was talk (on OTIB, at least) of wanting to bring in Neil Warnock, I wondered whether there might have been some benefit in trying to convince SO'D to return in some advisory capacity behind the scenes, especially as he had just been dismissed from Liverpool. 

No problem mate...nice to see something written in a none media way and from the heart.

If we are not as "fashionable" as most clubs in this league, then maybe we'd be better off not trying to sign the "fashionable" players in this league.

People keep saying you cannot expect L1 players to step-up (I'm no judge of individual prospects), but you can bet your life that there are young lads knocking around the three leagues below us that will be in the Championship next year or the year after. Someone will see something, take a punt, just like Eddie Howe did with Callum Wilson, like Brentford did with Gray. Like Big Mick did with Mings. And Posh did with Gayle. 

Are we capable of doing this? Does Cotts want to go down this route? Is this Cotts' strongpoint? Because if it isn't and the best young ones in this league won't come here, what then? And if not, is Cotts the right manager for us in this league facing the challenges that we do?

8 hours ago, spudski said:

I've spoken about this many times in the past on here Nick...perhaps you've not noticed.

But I agree with you on many of your points.

I touched on where we need to improve in my first post.

More money needs to be invested in bringing 'football people' onto the board.

Scouting, Academy, people running the club, analysts, Coach's...not a Director of football....but Directors of football....all need to be invested heavily in.

Don't let one man....the manager, change everything to 'his way'. Because when you do allow it, the next manager who comes in, has to start again.

The Directors of football should choose our coach's, staff, our players...then you get a manager to manage them, the 'Clubs way'....then if he can't motivate, you move him on and find someone who can.... it's seamless.

You mention SoD...you couldn't be further from the truth when it came to sorting this Club out.

All recent managers have come in and focussed on the first team and it's players, and what they can do...and purely focussed on that.

SoD came in, and went through the Club with a fine tooth comb. I agree he failed to get results....but he worked his socks off trying to get this Club working as it should be.

He actually looked at making a difference to this club long term, not just for the duration of his contract.

If we had the people in place to run this Club professionally to the standard of the Championship, then I'm sure he could have been more successful on the pitch.....but he was driven to try and make things run better 'behind the scenes' that I feel detracted short term...but we would have benefited long term.

I know it hasn't happened....but if we get relegated this year, what was the point of  winning league 1 last season if we can't compete at this level.

Like I've said over and over.....all managers struggle here....as SC is now.

Interesting, agree with many of your points, except your opinion on SOD is your opinion and I can't agree...............

Revell in it? Never mate....just total frustration.

With respect....you've seen SC helping the 'Development squads'....how so?

.........I have been told (by somebody who was there, every day) that SOD spent no more time with the development squads than SC does. And indeed SOD was dismissive of back room staff whereas SC tries to help where he can.

Apologies if that's how you see it...not intentional.I'm so gonna get slagged off for saying this...but if you have time and are interested...read this 3 page  interview to understand how a manager thinks when he see's the club and not just his self worth.... http://www.goalfood.com/fanzine/interviews/june-2009-sean-odriscoll-interview.html

I read all of that. There's a lot of narrative but it says very little. Yes it's very thoughtful, its different to what most managers come up with, and I sympathise with his antipathy towards the media asking stupid questions like "you lost, how do you feel".

But I see little substance in there. I know that SOD's philosophy is that you let players make mistakes and encourage them to work out what they did wrong themselves, that's it isn't it. Trouble is I do not believe that works with footballers.

I love this bit:

If you look at the two differing halves of your season can you tell what happened to make things go well?
"No".

IMO SOD did something at Doncaster that seemed to work, he didn't know exactly what it was - as the above would indicate - so he reflected on it and thought he had worked it out. But unfortunately the quiet thinker at Doncaster was just plain miserable  at Bristol City - didn't SL say he had to go as he put an aura of doom and gloom all over Ashton Gate?

And for me this passage sums up precisely why we were doomed under SOD:

"When we sat down and looked at performances we couldn’t score goals. So we thought we’ll either spend millions on a new striker or nurture the ones we’d got. We couldn’t buy one so we nurtured ours. We took the focus away from scoring goals. We create lots of chances and to create chances you’ve got to pass and move. To pass and move you’ve got to have an understanding of what you’re doing and your role and responsibilities. So although we didn’t have the end product we could say that we were doing the three things that lead up to the end product really well."

And that was Bristol City under SOD. Pass and move, but always sideways, never any goal threat. I literally used to fall asleep, and I don't even drink alcohol before games!

Anyway, I just know you aren't going to agree, but at least we do seem to agree on everything else.

17 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

It's disappointing nowadays that players pick clubs based on league position in the hope they get an easy ride to next level rather than assessing all aspects of a club and picking one in which they will a) get regular playing time and b) have the chance to become a cult hero at a club through hard work.

just hope clough has the smarts to see we are a club on the up, league position aside, and if he is to be a player of high quality in the future, he will get there regardless of where he is.

If he can't see that!   Then good, we don't want him!

Archived