IGNORED

Whatever we do, we can't sack Cotts.

LondonBristolian

I honestly wish I knew the answer now.

I get the logic that says mid transfer window is the wrong time to make a change but by the end of it three more league games will have been played and we are going to be into the last third of the season.

In truth I think everyone at the club is culpable, I feel the owner is less willing to spend sums than he has before (why even make the Gayle and Gray bids if he believed as he said that they weren't interested in coming to us?).

**** knows where the head of recruitment is and the board are nigh on invisible.

The manager has shown his inflexibility both with the formation and also in running with such a tiny squad, meaning we are always trying to squeeze performances out of the same 13 or 14.

That comment pre season that he could have signed two teams of players if he'd wanted will come back to haunt him, even three average players could have given the squad a lot more depth and some players a well deserved break.

As I posted a week ago by rights we should be adrift by now but Charlton are utterly hopeless, Bolton will probably enter administration soon, so we are fighting it out wth a team that lost 5-0 at home tonight and Rotherham.

What a ******* shambles it is that we are even in this position.

6 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. How anyone can think he is the right man for the job now is beyond me. It's pretty clear that SC can't attract the right type of player now so we may as well forget the transfer window. Even if he does it will be the same shite and same system. Our best chance is to get shot of him NOW and let someone else have a go and make use of the loan market to try and save us. He is completely out of his depth and you only had to hear his interview tonight to be reminded yet again just how deluded he is. (not helped by a spineless stuttering Ed Hadwin mind)

If it was my choice I would have got rid of him after the Derby game, but as the summer goes to show hindsight is a wonderful thing. Either way it's simply not working and there can't be room for sentiment anymore. There simply can't be an argument for him to stay any more. Regardless of him being able to get ANY transfers done he will take us down. Simple. He has to go now, this has gone on long enough.

I want to be clear that I'm not saying he's the right man for the job.  I too would have got rid of him after Derby and after Burnley I was hoping and expecting to hear he'd gone the following day.  I just think that, by wavering at the point when the decision had to be made, the board have left us in a position where sacking the manager is going to be even worse than not sacking the manager.  It's an absolute mess and no mistake.  Either route, we face a tough fight to stay up now.  If only the board acted when the warning signs were first there....

The only reason I would sack him now if I was SL, when asked about target players that we need and progress on them, if he was not able to give a better answer than he just gave on the radio. None of us know who was to blame for the summer lack of signings, but unless we get players in now we will be in L1.

As for the video, it only shows a reaction, but what was said to him? if it was something particularly nasty at least SC has the balls not to just take it on the chin, If it did not warrant a reaction and a normal comment said by a fan also frustrated by the loss, then he should of acted more professionally.  Perhaps they just caught him at a bad time, (I like the fact he does not like losing).

15 minutes ago, Flagon said:

I don't know who is to blame for the transfer situation but one thing I think all of us should be able to agree on is the squad is just extremely small but they truly give their all. Unfortunately, it's just they are not quite good enough collectively for the rigours of Championship football week in week out with such a small squad. However, with 3 or 4 additions I think they would be. If we had got the players we were strongly linked with in the last transfer window and we were still where we are then I think it would be fair to say Cotts could probably be on his way out if not already. But we didn't. We therefore essentially have the team we came up with. How on earth can we realistically judge his ability to manage at this level on this team? We may or may not have picked up a few more points with a couple of subs here or there, but I think it's pretty safe to assume we would be no more than just looking over our shoulder still.

Weirdly this is an area where I don't entirely agree.  Yes, the transition's been tough and I don't doubt that the players try hard but anyone can work hard and it's not necessarily evidence you're working hard at the right things.  We've seen games like Forest, WBA and Cardiff where the players have performed at a much better level than they have at Rotherham, tonight or against Fulham, Burnley or Reading.  Our squad is too thin and we'd struggle with the players we have but I feel we should be ahead of MK Dons and Rotherham at the very least, and it's ludicrous that we've lost so much ground to Preston who are, in effect, playing two of our 'rejects'.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I want to be clear that I'm not saying he's the right man for the job.  I too would have got rid of him after Derby and after Burnley I was hoping and expecting to hear he'd gone the following day.  I just think that, by wavering at the point when the decision had to be made, the board have left us in a position where sacking the manager is going to be even worse than not sacking the manager.  It's an absolute mess and no mistake.  Either route, we face a tough fight to stay up now.  If only the board acted when the warning signs were first there....

I do see where you are coming from. After the Burnley game my only argument for him staying could have been the need to get players in etc in the Jan transfer window but I just can't see how we can go on like this with him now. It's a very difficult situation and in most cases a club wouldn't sack a manager at this time as with such a depleted squad it makes little sense. However 4 wins from 28 is utterly ridiculous and I wouldn't trust him to sign players now. As you say, it really is an absolute mess. 

My argument would be to try and get in a manager who could try and save us with what with have plus a few loan additions (or 1 or 2 perm signings if appointed in time). SC is quite simply clueless and far too stubborn. Look at Preston tonight, far from spectacular but organised and adaptable. I think Grayson is a steady manager but he's clearly pretty streetwise, flexible and can get his side to grind out results. There is no way they should be 13 points ahead of us but having a manager with an ounce of tactical knowledge and know how has probably helped them get points when they shouldn't have.

56 minutes ago, cityshippers said:

well fed up!

seems to me the board and SL have accepted we are a yo yo club going between L1 and champ.

So I guess they well stick with SC and most of the squad and hope he brings us back up in the next couple of years!

been supporting now for about 35 years since I was a kid, and it kills me every time we end up where we are.....but we do it time and time again without learning any lessons.

for what its worth I think SC will now take us down, but a don't think there is a manager in the world that would keep this L1 squad in this div with the games and points we have left.

maybe I should accept what the board seem to have, then maybe it wouldn't hurt so much

ffs

coyr

I have said this many times on OTIB - the board have a wage policy that they will not break, hence "yo yo side" between Tier 2 and Tier 3 of English Football,

I would not sack Cotts!

From the day we were promoted I think the board believed it's own hype and their arrogance allowed players to leave without replacements. "we've got a shiny new stadium and they'll be flocking to play for us". Well it bit you on the arse, so it just proves you deserve to fall on your swords.

Had we done absolutely nothing in the transfer market since May we'd be better off. 

The board has been nothing short of ruinous for this club and the fans in this regard. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I do see where you are coming from. After the Burnley game my only argument for him staying could have been the need to get players in etc in the Jan transfer window but I just can't see how we can go on like this with him now. It's a very difficult situation and in most cases a club wouldn't sack a manager at this time as with such a depleted squad it makes little sense. However 4 wins from 28 is utterly ridiculous and I wouldn't trust him to sign players now. As you say, it really is an absolute mess. 

My argument would be to try and get in a manager who could try and save us with what with have plus a few loan additions (or 1 or 2 perm signings if appointed in time). SC is quite simply clueless and far too stubborn. Look at Preston tonight, far from spectacular but organised and adaptable. I think Grayson is a steady manager but he's clearly pretty streetwise, flexible and can get his side to grind out results. There is no way they should be 13 points ahead of us but having a manager with an ounce of tactical knowledge and know how has probably helped them get points when they shouldn't have.

Great post.  I've no idea what the Hell we should do but that's as good a plan as any I've heard.

3 minutes ago, tomo said:

I have said this many times on OTIB - the board have a wage policy that they will not break, hence "yo yo side" between Tier 2 and Tier 3 of English Football,

Once glance at the accounts from any of the last, say, 10 seasons will categorically prove that isn't true.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of sticking with Cotts at the end of December, it'd be absolute suicide to sack a manager during the transfer window.  However hard it is to get players, it'll be tougher with no manager in place at all.  And we need the board to focus on getting players in, not manager hunting.  Rightly or wrongly, the board have chosen to stick rather than twist and they've got to now back the manager to get players in and hope the players we sign get us out of this.  It's not the situation any of us want to be in but the board have chosen their path and I hope they follow it through as I fear steering from the course now will be worse than either sticking to the end of season or changing course in December...

SC as just said it is unlikely we will sign anyone in this window, if thats the case your argument is shot to pieces.  Could another manager come in a get better preformances and results with this group of players,  if you think that there is more than a 50% chance this could happen , then the only option is to sack SC.

He is now dead man walking. He can not turn this around and I am gutted for him and the club but we must face reality.

5 minutes ago, bs3 said:

SC as just said it is unlikely we will sign anyone in this window, if thats the case your argument is shot to pieces.  Could another manager come in a get better preformances and results with this group of players,  if you think that there is more than a 50% chance this could happen , then the only option is to sack SC.

He is now dead man walking. He can not turn this around and I am gutted for him and the club but we must face reality.

He doesn't believe we can stay up any more, deep down. That's my reading of his body language and voice.

2 minutes ago, tomo said:

I would not sack Cotts!

Well why would you have a policy only to break it? That sounds perfectly reasonable. And you know what, I'm all for that if I'm honest.

Where we are and our level of attractiveness, I'm not sure we are in a position to recruit players who actually are worthy of splashing the cash on (from a value for money perspective). Gayle I would've, but I don't think that was ever on the cards, Grey I would've but I think similar. Clough, no chance would I, although we do not know if financials is even what derailed that - I think probably not. 

The players we will be attractive to ought to be in budget, but that does not mean that we have to be shopping in 'bargain buys'. We need steady, systematic progress and I do not believe a 'marquee' would make the difference and certainly not to support sustainable progress. 

I think our problem lies in our vanity if I'm honest. Good, solid, steady pros, that's how SC got us out of a mess first time around and from there he built. I wish he'd remember that and be shopping in a very different market. Youth, flair, nah not the time for that in my opinion, not in this window. Someone with an old hat, steady performer and guile. That's what we need in my opinion to creep over the line. That shouldn't need us to break the bank, and neither should it be a noose around our neck financially. 

9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Had we done absolutely nothing in the transfer market since May we'd be better off.

Bad results/form and disagreements with tactics/player selection etc is always gonna happen but this is absolutely true and it's just so disappointing. We genuinely had a better squad throughout the whole of last season when we were a division lower. Makes no sense at all.

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Well why would you have a policy only to break it? That sounds perfectly reasonable. And you know what, I'm all for that if I'm honest.

Where we are and our level of attractiveness, I'm not sure we are in a position to recruit players who actually are worthy of splashing the cash on (from a value for money perspective). Gayle I would've, but I don't think that was ever on the cards, Grey I would've but I think similar. Clough, no chance would I, although we do not know if financials is even what derailed that - I think probably not. 

The players we will be attractive to ought to be in budget, but that does not mean that we have to be shopping in 'bargain buys'. We need steady, systematic progress and I do not believe a 'marquee' would make the difference and certainly not to support sustainable progress. 

I think our problem lies in our vanity if I'm honest. Good, solid, steady pros, that's how SC got us out of a mess first time around and from there he built. I wish he'd remember that and be shopping in a very different market. Youth, flair, nah not the time for that in my opinion, not in this window. Someone with an old hat, steady performer and guile. That's what we need in my opinion to creep over the line. That shouldn't need us to break the bank, and neither should it be a noose around our neck financially. 

Vanity and professional arrogance at board level. Spot on. 

8 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Why would SC say otherwise? He hasn't been able to get anyone in yet, why should (or even, how could) he expect a flurry of deals. Again, who is to blame? It's a big presumption that it's SC, although quite possibly it does sit at his door. 

Besides after our latest snubs of Bennett and Clough would you really fan the fire of expectation amongst supporters? Imagine if he said otherwise and didn't recruit! It's one of those questions he cannot give a safe answer to. If he said he's trying people would say not hard enough, if he said he did expect it that would seem unreasonable really the way things have gone. 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Why would SC say otherwise? He hasn't been able to get anyone in yet, why should (or even, how could) he expect a flurry of deals. Again, who is to blame? It's a big presumption that it's SC, although quite possibly it does sit at his door. 

Besides after our latest snubs of Bennett and Clough would you really fan the fire of expectation amongst supporters? Imagine if he said otherwise and didn't recruit! It's one of those questions he cannot give a safe answer to. If he said he's trying people would say not hard enough, if he said he did expect it that would seem unreasonable really the way things have gone. 

I think Cotts is being honest in his statement. And on the past 8 months I dont expect a flurry of transfere dealings. That is why a new manager is needed to try something different , to get more out of the players , because with this group of players SC has reached the end of the line. 

Keep Cotts without massive improvement in players this month then we are doomed. A new manager just maybe could save us .

Only two choices as far as I can see.  Stick with Cotterill and say goodbye at the end of the season.  Or spend a lot of money on a big name interim manager who has a slight chance of keeping us up.

Whatever happens, I'm afraid that the damage that has been done this season means that Steve Cotterill has taken us as far as he can.  Exactly the same as Gary Johnson and John Ward when the results started to go against them.

It's a real shame as I thought Cotterill was the perfect fit for this club at the end of last season.

1 hour ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

All is not lost. There are enough very poor teams around us for us to escape by default. Think how the MK Don's fans are feeling right now. We are in a fight we can win if we can get 2/3 good quality championship players on board.

Rotherham are becoming the surprise package as I thought at the start of the season they were doomed, but Bolton will go into admin, so relegated, Charlton are crap, which leaves us, MK and possibly Rotherham and Fulham.

still think we can do it if we keep our nerve and manager!

Where are those 2/3 players going to come from though?? They aint coming mate. The league table will put them off.

The board will sit on their hands and then sack cotts when its too late like they did with mcinnes the last time we were in this league. Niave buffoons.

We cannot lose Cotts at this time in the season.

After the success of last season, winning both the league and Cup my head was in the clouds and I was also expecting a season reminiscent of Gary Johnson's in 07/08 until I realized that our situation this year is very different. Last season we had the ambition to win the league as we should have, which is why we signed players that were at a good standard for league 1. Times are different now, we have a squad that are good for league one but are at most just scraping average for the champ and still people thought we could sail back into the prem. Give Cotts a season or two. This will give us time to improve the squad and improve our standards and become a top half team again. We need to go against the norm of football clubs and stand by our man, the only reason people weren't calling for his head last season was because we were winning. We cant blame him for our losses because he doesn't play, he is trying to turn things around! any one notice the change information back to 3-5-2? I'm not having a go at any people calling for his head, I'm just asking you to open your eyes and realize that just because we won a league and the lower league cup doesn't mean we're going to blitz our way to the prem.

28 minutes ago, TGards said:

We cannot lose Cotts at this time in the season.

After the success of last season, winning both the league and Cup my head was in the clouds and I was also expecting a season reminiscent of Gary Johnson's in 07/08 until I realized that our situation this year is very different. Last season we had the ambition to win the league as we should have, which is why we signed players that were at a good standard for league 1. Times are different now, we have a squad that are good for league one but are at most just scraping average for the champ and still people thought we could sail back into the prem. Give Cotts a season or two. This will give us time to improve the squad and improve our standards and become a top half team again. We need to go against the norm of football clubs and stand by our man, the only reason people weren't calling for his head last season was because we were winning. We cant blame him for our losses because he doesn't play, he is trying to turn things around! any one notice the change information back to 3-5-2? I'm not having a go at any people calling for his head, I'm just asking you to open your eyes and realize that just because we won a league and the lower league cup doesn't mean we're going to blitz our way to the prem.

Is this a serious post ???

4 hours ago, TGards said:

It is. If we lose Cotts now then we are destined for the drop but we're only two points from safety. Just back him.

For context; we're only one point from safety at the start of the game.

I'm not screaming for SC to go here, but I think it is important that those passionately advocating we keep the faith consider the wider scheme of things.

Our most direct rivals currently are MK, Charlton and Rotherham, with Fulham that little bit further from us and Bolton a bit deeper in trouble.  

The problem is that Rotherham are putting together an impressive run, and slowly pulling away, while Fulham's results are never quite bad enough to see then dip into the real fight, leaving a pool of four for three places (more likely three for two, considering Bolton's plight).

It highlights how much of impact the lack of obtainable full points in games against these fellow strugglers has cost us; no last minute equalisers against MK and Charlton, and not only are we four points better off, but each of them is that little bit further back too, but that is in the past.

Right now we have to essentially out score those two clubs on points, because though others may drop down as the season runs on, form or prior points totals doesn't suggest that anyone will be in real reach of us (other than those mentioned) anytime soon.

I am very worried, and cannot quite see where we will get the points to over take MK and put Charlton further behind us, based on our prior performances and results, but I hold out hope we can turn the corner, as I similarly cannot see where our opponents will do get points either, at least soon.

But make no mistake; we are only so close to being in touch with safety due to how terrible others are, as illustrated by tonight - and as Rotherham's revival has shown; it only takes one good run of form to escape.

Right now; I pray that we are the one-from-three who find that form, but fear the possibility we'll actually be one of those left behind.

Archived