IGNORED

Time to Back the Manager

MarkRed!

A poor game tonight but one we should have won. Preston were very poor and it just shows what can be achieved by being well organised. The team look jaded, leggy and had nothing to give. Personally, I felt it was a mistake putting out a strong 11 at WBA. This was a must win game for me and the first 11 should have been rested even if we ended up playing kids.  We needed 4 points from this weeks 2 home games. I fear we will accrue 0. One crumb of comfort is that those around us are not picking up points. We cannot rely on others for much longer. 

Desperate situation but not SC's fault. It is silly to keep blaming the manager. We have a ridiculous list of managers and I am sure SC will not be sacked. The board are ultimately to blame as is the anonymous director of football. Spending 50 million + on a stadium before we get the team right on the pitch is laughable. 

I have said for some weeks we look short on players and needed 3 new faces tonight. We have not delivered any (A loan keeper is not what we need). The transfer policy of the club is a joke to allow the squad to be in this state - we need 6 players not 50k punts. We might just be lucky and bring in one at this rate...... We need to back SC and the team and try and pull them through. If we go down then there needs to be a thorough review at the end of the season.... That is the time to address the situation. COYR. 

If we cannot sign players this month to strengthen then we either keep the manager and go down or change the manager and possibly stay up.  I am now in the latter camp.  Cotterill has proven that he cannot keep this squad up.  That doesn't mean that another manager would not be able too albeit we would need to appoint someone with a championship pedigree. 

5 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

A poor game tonight but one we should have won. Preston were very poor and it just shows what can be achieved by being well organised. The team look jaded, leggy and had nothing to give. Personally, I felt it was a mistake putting out a strong 11 at WBA. This was a must win game for me and the first 11 should have been rested even if we ended up playing kids.  We needed 4 points from this weeks 2 home games. I fear we will accrue 0. One crumb of comfort is that those around us are not picking up points. We cannot rely on others for much longer. 

Desperate situation but not SC's fault. It is silly to keep blaming the manager. We have a ridiculous list of managers and I am sure SC will not be sacked. The board are ultimately to blame as is the anonymous director of football. Spending 50 million + on a stadium before we get the team right on the pitch is laughable. 

I have said for some weeks we look short on players and needed 3 new faces tonight. We have not delivered any (A loan keeper is not what we need). The transfer policy of the club is a joke to allow the squad to be in this state - we need 6 players not 50k punts. We might just be lucky and bring in one at this rate...... We need to back SC and the team and try and pull them through. If we go down then there needs to be a thorough review at the end of the season.... That is the time to address the situation. COYR. 

Fair point

Hes only the manager in charge of the football side 

you could only really blame him if he was responsible for assembling playing staff and ensuring we have a strong enough squad, coaching , tactics , use of substitutes and such like

I agree people are being very harsh and demanding of him

The fans have backed him all season. Its down to Cotts to get us out of this mess. Can he do it with these players then my honest answer is no. 

We keep managers to 4 months to long. There is now only one out come and that is SC getting the sack , why prolong the agony.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If we cannot sign players this month to strengthen then we either keep the manager and go down or change the manager and possibly stay up.  I am now in the latter camp.  Cotterill has proven that he cannot keep this squad up.  That doesn't mean that another manager would not be able too albeit we would need to appoint someone with a championship pedigree. 

Have we been relegated already then?

City fans are forever hounding out managers, sometimes justified and sometimes not. We also seem to be hounding prospective signings on twitter which is even more pathetic. BOTTOM LINE is that the board are responsible and they are anonymous by their silence. 

We have struggled this season but what did people expect. SL talks about push for PL next season but where is the evidence that that is realistic. The team is not good enough and needed reinforcing in the summer and now - fact. They have not done it and have allowed the playing squad to be decimated. Result - sack the manager. No, sorry, don't buy this when the manager is not in control and is working to a club structure. 

Sacking SC won't make a jot of difference and will simply lead to more instability. He must be given the season. If we get relegated then a considered appraisal of the season is required.  A poisonous atmosphere at the gate is the last thing we need, so if fans don't back SC and the team, don't go to games, because until they strengthen they will struggle to get points. The fans who abused SC, should be identified and banned.

15 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Lansdown needs to show him the door first thing tomorrow morning

Really ?

I think that will just add to Lansdown's problems - and add more misery for another manager with regards to his wage policy.

I would respect the club (as a whole) if they clearly stated that we can not compete at the top of Tier 2 and we will always be a Bottom Tier 2 and Top Tier 3 Football Club. I will then sleep better and not constantly dream of anything else. Thankfully I have the gift from Alan Dicks as a little boy watching 2/3 seasons in the top flight!

Keep Cotts!

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Preston were not poor. They won away by 2-1. They beat what was in front of them and now sit way above us with 13 points more.

They will still be in the Championship next year while we are back to the Third Division.

Not poor but average at best. We  were on a par with them but they benefitted from the fact that we always find a way to lose just as opposed to last season when we always found a way to win.

Ayling,who was poor tonight,kept looking up for someone to give the ball to.No one was looking for it and he ended up hoofing it into nowhere.When we were on the attack,the midfield was far too deep and the constant reliance on Wilbraham to give the knock downs to non existent midfielders following up was a waste of time.There is nothing in midfield.Nothing.Freeman doesn't know what he is supposed to be doing and Pack is not good enough for the Championship.Thats where our problem lies and all the Zach Cloughs in the world aren't going to rectify it.

Last thing we need is more upheaval.at this stage.

Just bring in some signings to improve the starting eleven. Not a lot, just 3 or 4. It cannot be that hard, surely?

Everyone's frustrated tonight, SC shouldn't have reacted to those fans but he's feeling it like the rest of us. I'm just begging the board to bring players in, the club needs help.

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

Have we been relegated already then?

Obviously not.  Stupid question.  Are we in relegation zone?  Yes.  Will we stay up on current form?  No.  Will we get another 25 points from next 20 games!p?  No.  

Should we wait until we are mathematically down before we change it, as you seem to suggest?  **** no. 

Just now, RedDave said:

Obviously not.  Stupid question.  Are we in relegation zone?  Yes.  Will we stay up on current form?  No.  Will we get another 25 points from next 20 games!p?  No.  

Should we wait until we are mathematically down before we change it, as you seem to suggest?  **** no. 

The stupid question was only made in response to your stupid statement.

If you are saying we are already down, then I'll just have to believe you.

1 minute ago, MarkRed! said:

City fans are forever hounding out managers, sometimes justified and sometimes not. We also seem to be hounding prospective signings on twitter which is even more pathetic. BOTTOM LINE is that the board are responsible and they are anonymous by their silence

We have struggled this season but what did people expect. SL talks about push for PL next season but where is the evidence that that is realistic. The team is not good enough and needed reinforcing in the summer and now - fact. They have not done it and have allowed the playing squad to be decimated. Result - sack the manager. No, sorry, don't buy this when the manager is not in control and is working to a club structure. 

Sacking SC won't make a jot of difference and will simply lead to more instability. He must be given the season. If we get relegated then a considered appraisal of the season is required.  A poisonous atmosphere at the gate is the last thing we need, so if fans don't back SC and the team, don't go to games, because until they strengthen they will struggle to get points. The fans who abused SC, should be identified and banned.

And your evidence .......

please explain - you obviously have the full story

This post even more bizarre than your opener IMO

As for banning the fans who 'abused' SC my understanding from

@Rob k

who witnessed it was he want abused but was the one who used four letter expletives - so what are you going to do about those fans now...,

And what would you do in respect of the managers behaviour ????

13 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

City fans are forever hounding out managers, sometimes justified and sometimes not. We also seem to be hounding prospective signings on twitter which is even more pathetic. BOTTOM LINE is that the board are responsible and they are anonymous by their silence. 

Quality post m8 - totally agree!

People say SC is to blame but whilst the players keep trying I feel that is not the case. A fag paper thin squad with any injuries preventing us from naming a full bench then the poor investment in the squad on the up last summer resulted us resting on our laurels thinking we could progress on the cheap.

Foottball is unique in that it doesn't work like that and constant investing and evolving is always required.

We may have fluked a good buy in Garita but we need to keep adding until there are options all over the playing squad.

Whether SC or the Board was to blame for a Summer of looking back with a fine cigar & cognac we'll never know...

3 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Whilst I agree the board should be held responsible for many problems at this Club...the problems on the pitch right now could be acted upon better.

We are in a situation that is dire...however you have to deal with what you have in front of you, regardless of who's fault our 'situation' is.

The style of play, substitutions in the past, resting players, trusting others, not having a plan B and refusing to change the system, and attracting players are all down to SC.

He's just admitted that it's not just money and our position in the league, that is failing to attract players here...but he can't find any suitable to fit in to his style of play.

Now who's fault is that?...not the boards in this matter.

Even with the small squad, we have enough talent here to be at least where Preston sit.

It's down to a system and tired players...how often are we conceding in the last minutes.

We can blame whoever...but right now, I believe SC could save us from relegation if he changed the system.

He refuses to...so in my mind flogging a dead horse doesn't work...so find someone who can work with these players using a more solid system....that is also less tiring to a small squad.

34 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Excellent post. Although I'd advise a thorough review before the end of the week and get rid of those who are to blame for this monumental cockup. In any other business there would be more than Pelling out of the door. 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And your evidence .......

please explain - you obviously have the full story

This post even more bizarre than your opener IMO

As for banning the fans who 'abused' SC my understanding from

@Rob k

who witnessed it was he want abused but was the one who used four letter expletives - so what are you going to do about those fans now...,

And what would you do in respect of the managers behaviour ????

The board are clearly responsible for the strategy and direction of the club. It is wrong to simply blame the manager time and time again. We have an appalling list of managerial casualties in the last decade. It is no way to run a football club. All fans want the best but how can SC (who was being lauded less than 6 months ago) now be sacked. The results are not good enough but the team is not good enough. Sacking manager is short termism which sums up how this club has been run... He has not lost the players and the team are doing their best but they are just not good enough... I genuinely don't believe any manager could get any more out of this team. 

I have not seen the incident, but if the manager is being abused then the fans are to blame... If SC reacts, well he is only human. I would tell them to do one as well. Ironic really as some posts ago I saw people calling for Nigel Pearson - didn't he tell a fan to F off and die.... Football is a passionate game. A hostility towards the manager is not going to help anyone or the team....

It's our 6th relegation battle in 7 seasons. Sacking the manager doesn't tend to get us far. Particularly when we have such a ridiculously small squad. Upheaval halfway through the month of January isn't going to do us any good. Just need to pray the board bring in signings, or if SC does end up leaving, we'll have to get very, very lucky,

1 minute ago, MarkRed! said:

The board are clearly responsible for the strategy and direction of the club. It is wrong to simply blame the manager time and time again. We have an appalling list of managerial casualties in the last decade. It is no way to run a football club. All fans want the best but how can SC (who was being lauded less than 6 months ago) now be sacked. The results are not good enough but the team is not good enough. Sacking manager is short termism which sums up how this club has been run... He has not lost the players and the team are doing their best but they are just not good enough... I genuinely don't believe any manager could get any more out of this team. 

I have not seen the incident, but if the manager is being abused then the fans are to blame... If SC reacts, well he is only human. I would tell them to do one as well. Ironic really as some posts ago I saw people calling for Nigel Pearson - didn't he tell a fan to F off and die.... Football is a passionate game. A hostility towards the manager is not going to help anyone or the team....

So you've not seen it but are calling for the fans to be banned but if SC reacts that's OK as he's only human....,

What a bizarre thought process and double standards in anyone's book

Archived