IGNORED

Should the board act Now

KeepUpLino

Time for another Poll   

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the board need to do is pay the wages that championship players demand. Unfortunately this should have been done in the summer, in the Football January Sales everything goes up not down. Changing the manager will make no difference as the problem will still exist, it's not as if the players aren't playing for Cott's that was evidence at West Brom.

If it is true that we have "no signings imminent", how on earth is now the right time to sack SC. Makes no sense to me. We would be setting yet another manager to fail....

I also wanted to make some comments generally:

1. I find the issue of SC's use of formation amongst supporters confusing - last year we played 352 and were dominant. It has not quite worked this season but I think that has more to do with the step up in quality. I also dont think we have the players who can play different systems at this stage.  Do people really believe playing 442 or 433 would be better. We played a 433/451 formation at Derby and got murdered... Formation is a red herring. I have seen plenty of City teams playing 442 and they have been relegated with arguably better quality than this side. The need to change up though is a legitimate concern but why has this not been explored in the media with SC. I would ask him. 

2. Subs - it is puzzling why SC has not used his bench more. I agree with all concerns here and his use of the loan signings. Cannot understand it at all. However, most of the games have been close that I have seen and i suspect SC does not trust the players on the bench to come on and effect a game. He did this last year and his consistency of approach was praised in having a settled team.  Actually, changing it up yesterday made no difference as Reid went to sleep for the Preston winner. That being said - i do find it surprising that no journalists have probed SC on the issue. I for one was utterly staggered that we did not make changes for the FA Cup Tie. Last night the players were knackered and that could not have been any surprise. But again, why has this not been explored in the media with SC. I would ask him. Cant see how he can then use fatigue as an excuse for our worst first half for a long long time. 

3. Transfer policy. There is a general club policy here which has been on various threads. SC is not buying players IMO and he is restricted with what he can do. It makes no sense and the strategy is all over the show.  He is though defending the piss poor recruitment process we have seen at AG. He has not criticised the board at any stage and this is part of the overall collective responsibility which he has had to buy into. This is why SC wont be sacked.  I think he knows the team and recruitment has been poor and this accounts for his puzzling media comments. He has done it again today. However, where is his media suppor for him to stop walking into these situations, oh yes, that is the guy who said Garitta had no twitter account, when he did! Piss poor at all levels here. 

Sacking the manager has not proved to be fruitful for BCFC as a long term strategy and we have an embarrassing order of managers who have come and gone. For me, this is where this needs to be tackled head on with the board. The board are directing the operation of the club and it is they who should be accountable to the fans, not its manager, whether that be SC or anyone else. At the end of the day, if SC does not have the tools at his disposal there is only so much that can be done. My view is that the board underestimated the ability of our squad and the Championship and thought it would be plain sailing for a year followed by an ascent up the table. A pure pipe dream.

Time for SL and the board to hold a session with the Supporters' Trust so that our collective anger and frustration can be vented in a more proactive and useful way. COYR!

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

It 's too late now for 1 so the only sane choice for me is 2. Not because he deserves anything - just that the club have left it too late to make a change as others have said.

I still don't see this as an option, Surely we should at least try and make something happen? Whats the point in going down with a whimper once again?

5 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

I still don't see this as an option, Surely we should at least try and make something happen? Whats the point in going down with a whimper once again?

Sacking him now will almost guarantee no new players in this window. We will go down without a whimper unless we get some reinforcements.

the players are playing for him and he has a small squad.

if and I mean if he wasn't responsible for the transfer debarcle in the summer then he has been severely mugged off by our board....and tbh I'm not sure who else could de better with 14/15 half decent championship players.

I can't choose either option.  I don't think he deserves more time but I think it's the wrong time to change things.   As Robin_unreliant says it means going from almost certainly getting no new players to definitely getting no new players.  We should have done it much earlier.  The board chose to back the manager and I think we've now no choice but to see if he can buy the players to turn things round.  It's too late for anyone else to do so so we have to stikc for January..

I do believe we will stick with SC and rightly so HOWEVER to stop all these almost daily posts and undoubted fears it is TIME FOR;

You Steve l  to issue a rallying, calming, message to all fans at our/your club as soon as possible; SATURDAY 2.30PM WILL DO, CENTRE CIRCLE...GO FOR IT

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

Sacking him now will almost guarantee no new players in this window. We will go down with a whimper unless we get some reinforcements.

Can i just ask everyone who still support Cotts one simple question? Why do you think when he had almost 2 months before the January transfer window to prepare a list of Attainable targets and have them lined up to sign as soon as the window opened are we now 2 weeks into January with nothing in the pipeline? Surely this on its own is a sackable offence?

8 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Some have said i should have just had a simple YES or NO and your moaning about my options...

How does that make me a tit?

Well I could always put another link to the abusive comments you made when Cotterill was first appointed.

Personally I would have been ashamed and embarrassed to have made those comments, no matter how Cotterill subsequently performed.

Each to his own.

2 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

I still don't see this as an option, Surely we should at least try and make something happen? Whats the point in going down with a whimper once again?

It didn't work last time we changed at this level. With such a small squad I'm not sure what A N Other could do, and nor do I think suddenly we would become more attractive. 

Recruitment has been so abject and it is the root of the problem as I see it. I'm not sure the blame lies with SC, even in the main, for that. It simply has to be in some part at board level too. Perhaps miscommunication, perhaps more  

I wonder if the best thing for us could be for SC to walk and explain why he's walking if there are back room problems. Publicly out them. On the flip side for what he's achieved, and the circumstances within which I perceive him to be working in, pay off he deserves I'd say. 

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

Well I could always put another link to the abusive comments you made when Cotterill was first appointed.

Personally I would have been ashamed and embarrassed to have made those comments, no matter how Cotterill subsequently performed.

Each to his own.

Lets not make this personal!!

I didnt realise we had a board?! Thought we just had silent partners!

i chose stay and give more time. This is based on the insane notion of atleast 4 players coming in and SC ridding himself of stubbournness and changing the formation to anything other than 352. 

Fatchance of any of this iguess so Feb 1st when its too late i will change my mind!!

1 minute ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Can i just ask everyone who still support Cotts one simple question? Why do you think when he had almost 2 months before the January transfer window to prepare a list of Attainable targets and have them lined up to sign as soon as the window opened are we now 2 weeks into January with nothing in the pipeline? Surely this on its own is a sackable offence?

You don't know that we have "nothing in the pipeline" at all, you are guessing, wrongly I think. Do you also know that there are 14days in a week and its the 13th today, so wrong again, a bit closer though :shifty:

3 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Nothing in the pipeline, is that how we got down to speaking to Zack Clough, signed Garita, sorted a loan goalkeeper and got linked to various French players?

Far too simple. We are not attractive. It would be foolish to agree to sign for us pre window. Imagine how much more we'd be willing to offer post last night v pre given raising anxiety?

We are in absolutely no bargaining position and the reason I expect SL said don't expect anything early in the window is because we wouldn't be able to do a deal in any case. I know if I was a player I'd be seeing tough Jan games and thinking let's wait and see if they lose them. If they do I could get more money, if they don't they look a better placed side to join; and if they move on to someone else well it's Bristol city and as a hypothetical non-fan, I shall not kick myself  for missing out  

Fwiw I don't believe nothing lined up. I believe we are tempering expectations. 

1 minute ago, City169 said:

Nothing in the pipeline, is that how we got down to speaking to Zack Clough, signed Garita, sorted a loan goalkeeper and got linked to various French players?

I'm purely going off SC radio interview...

Zack clough, again an unattainable target? Garita, has he even signed yet? A loan goalkeeper to replace the injured FF is hardly progress in this transfer window is it considering we've already lost 4 players this month?

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Best not confuse facts with some fans take on reality.

7 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

I'm purely going off SC radio interview...

Zack clough, again an unattainable target? Garita, has he even signed yet? A loan goalkeeper to replace the injured FF is hardly progress in this transfer window is it considering we've already lost 4 players this month?

Clough wasn't unattainable though was he? Bolton were accepting the bid because they needed money, no one else put a bid in, and, if the rumours are right then he turned us down based on our league position, not wages, not because we aren't "big enough"

Garita, pretty sure he's signed given he was training with the team pre west brom, my guess is that as he is being fast tracked through the under 21s, he was technically signed for them and those signings aren't always announced.

The loan keeper was needed, but shows that players will come to us, which doesn't fit with what you were trying to spread last night.

I believe the goalkeeper loan was with a view to make it permanent. O'donnell was raved about by walsall fans last season, so this could well end up being very shrewd business that starts of being just a loan 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Far too simple. We are not attractive. It would be foolish to agree to sign for us pre window. Imagine how much more we'd be willing to offer post last night v pre given raising anxiety?

We are in absolutely no bargaining position and the reason I expect SL said don't expect anything early in the window is because we wouldn't be able to do a deal in any case. I know if I was a player I'd be seeing tough Jan games and thinking let's wait and see if they lose them. If they do I could get more money, if they don't they look a better placed side to join; and if they move on to someone else well it's Bristol city and as a hypothetical non-fan, I shall not kick myself  for missing out  

Fwiw I don't believe nothing lined up. I believe we are tempering expectations. 

On this basis the longer this months goes on and the more we slip into the mire the less chance we will have of signing anyone..

2 minutes ago, City169 said:

Clough wasn't unattainable though was he? Bolton were accepting the bid because they needed money, no one else put a bid in, and, if the rumours are right then he turned us down based on our league position, not wages, not because we aren't "big enough"

Garita, pretty sure he's signed given he was training with the team pre west brom, my guess is that as he is being fast tracked through the under 21s, he was technically signed for them and those signings aren't always announced.

The loan keeper was needed, but shows that players will come to us, which doesn't fit with what you were trying to spread last night.

Of course League 1 players will join us but the better players won't..

May I ask a question to the outers, lead so well by the linesman;

Who exactly will sign a contract that says I will save your season; hold on, don't bother;  I`ll answer there are NO MANAGERS on this planet, who can guarantee that, so sorry lino "stupid choice" :o

6 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

May I ask a question to the outers, lead so well by the linesman;

Who exactly will sign a contract that says I will save your season; hold on, don't bother;  I`ll answer there are NO MANAGERS on this planet, who can guarantee that, so sorry lino "stupid choice" :o

Exactly, I've seen one poster asking for Cotts out that gave their suggestions for replacements, one was Warnock and the other was redknapp, a manager who has regularly spent beyond clubs means and not achieved their targets. I'd rather stick with Cotts than have either of those.

a while back someone mentioned moyes, that's where I'd start to waver, but wouldnt sack cotts unless i knew for sure moyes would take the job, and even then I'd deliberate. Think moyes was unfairly treated at man yoo. Having said all that, Moyes oing here is about as likely as us signing Dwight Gayle

On this basis the longer this months goes on and the more we slip into the mire the less chance we will have of signing anyone..

I don't think so necessarily, I just think the more they'll cost in wages and more likely we will panic in to paying it.

Just seems like sound logic to me; wait for the lowest ebb and with MBoro, last nights game, a replay for a threadbare squad, Brum, and a tough Xmas period our targets hold/held all of the cards. Not to forget our hand and financial capabilities were shown with the level of bids we made in the summer - that's why I was so damning of them, it must have had agents salivating and even more so now. 

Further in the mire I agree though. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I don't think so necessarily, I just think the more they'll cost in wages and more likely we will panic in to paying it.

Just seems like sound logic to me; wait for the lowest ebb and with MBoro, last nights game, a replay for a threadbare squad, Brum, and a tough Xmas period our targets hold/held all of the cards. Not to forget our hand and financial capabilities were shown with the level of bids we made in the summer - that's why I was so damning of them, it must have had agents salivating and even more so now. 

Further in the mire I agree though. 

Yes i think thats one thing we can all agree on, We're in one hell of a mess!

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Exactly, I've seen one poster asking for Cotts out that gave their suggestions for replacements, one was Warnock and the other was redknapp, a manager who has regularly spent beyond clubs means and not achieved their targets. I'd rather stick with Cotts than have either of those.

Here's another one saying Cotts out and that I think Warnock would have a far better chance of saving us. Or Pearson. Both realistic. As long as we get the cheque book out which apparently is no problem.   

12 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Yes i think thats one thing we can all agree on, We're in one hell of a mess!

Absolutely. Fixing it is a minefield though and it's not as black and white as some portray it. I can absolutely appreciate why some people think SC out, or throw money at it or accept come what may - there's sound reasoning in each. 

Personally im between throw money and come what may. I'm so against 'at all costs' because it's a well trodden path and it will catch you in the end - a bit like supplementing wages with pay day loans in the real world. It was in very recent memories that we couldn't improve because we could not shift the crap we over paid for and it carried over into our relegation season too. If FFP was out of the equation then maybe I'd have a different stance. But I think we'll just defer the problem if we follow that path. 

The reason I'm half in the spend money camp is because I would pay high fees for a loan, or give someone like Nolan (although not necessarily him) a very good short term contract. But I think that's to the extent that I would be willing to overpay. I certainly wouldn't want to see us gamble with a marquee or two on longer term deals. I think that's only going to defer the problem ultimately. 

Archived