IGNORED

The Oscars

Shtanley

13 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I've seen Mad max and can fully understand why it's got so many nominations, Bridge of Spies also one I really enjoyed. Anyone seen the revenant?

Yes. I absolutely loved it.  Di Caprio nailed on for best actor after what he had to go through to film it.  

Strongly recommend this film.  Might even be a top 15 film for me!  

I really detest all the showbiz Oscar ceremonies. Tearful actresses/actors, all thanking and back patting, who wers what dress rubbish. I think they could be awarded an oscar for who can look the most surprised, for me that's the acting equilivent of diving in the penalty area. 

I just recover from Christmas and we're straight into this, awards season garbage.

On 14 January 2016 at 18:48, Cunnyfunt said:

An Oscar for LDC is long overdue. Top actor. 

I'm not a great fan of the self appreciation awards but.......DiCaprio is excellent in every film he makes and his performance in Blood Diamonds was jaw droppingly brilliant. Very impressive indeed.

He deserved an Oscar for that alone so I hope his talent gets recognised this time around.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Getting beyond a joke now,no black actor nominations and they kick up a fuss.everything is to do with race not ability,surprised John Barnes hasn't stuck his nose in yet

I don't know why they don't just name the black actors that should have been included. Unless I've missed it, there have been no names yet.

And, as EMB will testify, this is coming from a liberal guardian reader. 

The first thing I though with the boycott thing is , who should have been nominated?

Usually, if a critic or studio or who ever, thinks someone has been 'wronged' by missing out. They'll say why wasn't ' ******' nominated , I may be wrong but just coming out and saying no Black actors smacks of positive discrimination . I'll let you know if Sam Jackson's in the running , going to see the Hateful 8 later.   As for MadMax , I really don't get the love in. I thought it was poor, more a Charlize Theron film than a MM one, may have to watch it again to see what I've missed.   Agree with @Robbored  I thought Blood diamonds was very good, not a massive DiCaprio fan but he has put in several good performances.  The Bear scene in the Revenant is amazing.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

The first thing I though with the boycott thing is , who should have been nominated?

Usually, if a critic or studio or who ever, thinks someone has been 'wronged' by missing out. They'll say why wasn't ' ******' nominated , I may be wrong but just coming out and saying no Black actors smacks of positive discrimination . I'll let you know if Sam Jackson's in the running , going to see the Hateful 8 later.   As for MadMax , I really don't get the love in. I thought it was poor, more a Charlize Theron film than a MM one, may have to watch it again to see what I've missed.   Agree with @Robbored  I thought Blood diamonds was very good, not a massive DiCaprio fan but he has put in several good performances.  The Bear scene in the Revenant is amazing.

My thoughts exactly. There are some fine black actors around but the films they`ve been in lately just aren`t that good (not seen H8ful Eight yet). The likes of Idris Elba, Jamie Foxx, Morgan Freeman and Samuel L Jackson, good though they are just haven`t been in anything worthy of an Oscar last year.

On 23/01/2016 at 17:56, joe jordans teeth said:

Getting beyond a joke now,no black actor nominations and they kick up a fuss.everything is to do with race not ability,surprised John Barnes hasn't stuck his nose in yet

Waiting on Will Smith to answer every question regarding the boycott with "But I am Will Smith."

7 hours ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

The Revenant, I must be the only person who dont rate it so slow after the bear attack. LDC was ok but not worthy of a Oscar and Tom Hardy mumbled his way through the movie IMO. 

Mrs Robbo said pretty much the same thing. We saw it today at Hengrove. I actually liked it despite the fact it didn't give LDC much of a script to show his skills.

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 22:56, joe jordans teeth said:

.....seems to be over-represented in the MOBO's though, yet noone complains about that. 

18 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

On a flight this weekend I watched The Martian.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  Certainly worthy all of the critical acclaim.

Also watched The Walk after a random selection.  Great performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

If you haven't seen it already watch 'man on wire' , it's one of the best documentaries (if not movies overall) I have ever seen. It's the story that inspired the movie the walk. It's on telly pretty frequently and you can prob get on Netflix or something similar  also

3 hours ago, internetjef said:

If you haven't seen it already watch 'man on wire' , it's one of the best documentaries (if not movies overall) I have ever seen. It's the story that inspired the movie the walk. It's on telly pretty frequently and you can prob get on Netflix or something similar  also

Cheers for the recommendation, I will take a look for it.

On 24/01/2016 at 00:08, RedDave said:

I don't know why they don't just name the black actors that should have been included. Unless I've missed it, there have been no names yet.

And, as EMB will testify, this is coming from a liberal guardian reader. 

So...just off the top of my head:

Michael B Jordan for Creed

Idris Elba for Beasts of No Nation

F. Gary Gray for Straight Outta Compton (director)

Recently watched both the revenant and the big short. Very different types of movie but both excellent. Would strongly recommend both 

revenant is definitely one to get to the cinema for. Sit in the first couple of rows near the screen and you almost feel like you are in it with them. I don't think it would have anywhere near the same impact if viewed at home on dvd or on a dodgy stream/download (even if you have an epic home cinema set up)

On 27/01/2016 at 06:40, internetjef said:

Found it on YouTube and though it excellent, thanks for the recommendation.

Archived