IGNORED

POLL FOR NEW BOSS - THE SEARCH BEGINS

havanatopia

The New Manager  

458 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my humble opinion City need to appoint a high profile manager, who has a decent points per game ratio, preferably has a formation preference similar to what we have now but is flexible and intelligent enough to know we need to change it if need be and have the players to adapt. The new manager also has to have at the very least Championship, or higher level, experience but does not necessarily need to have experience of managing in England. A combination of all of the above and with the ability to give city that bounce usually experienced when a new manager comes in are, I would say pre-requisites.

That said, I do not believe in any way shape or form that Steve Cotterill lost the dressing room. I think he had a very tight knit unit and I am personally very sad to see him go. Why now? I can only assume something tilted the board in the last 48-72 hours otherwise why make the change half way through a transfer window; the powers that be had their hand played for them otherwise they would not have acted. My view.

I wish SC all the best and thank him for the fabulous work he did at the club; his legacy here is assured.

I would go with Moyes or a foreign coach, perhaps di Matteo, probably one who can demonstrate fast recruitment of players that will keep us up.

Tisdale's points record is poor and he has no experience at this level. Why Monk is being touted is a mystery to me; I included both here only to show their points tally and to see how many will vote for them; they are way too inexperienced. Redknapp and Warnock are omitted because they are past their best in my view. Both have an approximately 1.5 points average.. impressive given the number of games they have managed and they might just be short term options. I have also omitted Paulo di Canio because he might be a rather divisive figure. 

Some of the perhaps lesser known names on this list should in my view be considered.

I would just add that Rodgers is the only one with a preferred 3 at the back formation. di Matteo's stats are impressive and just edges it for me over Moyes but I would be happy with many of the names on this list.

Please note according to the source below only Paul Tisdale is currently in a manager's job. All others are apparently available, have been out of a job for less than 2 years and are all, with the exception of Monk, on higher than average points per game ratios.

Source for my stats:- www.transfermarkt.com so I am relying on that site for accuracy.

Edited by havanatopia

A well written piece in my opinion.

Not sure I agree with it but that's what a forum is for. I think we need to be brave and pick a real battle hardened manager. His remit is just to ensure we don't go down and give him a huge bonus / contract extension if he achieves it. I think and I hate myself for saying it but Warnock is an in the trenches sort who could just grind things out for us. Whats past is past and he has a house in the south west. Fancy football and formations is not what will keep us up. Giving away goals late in the game and a tiny tiring young squad will get us relegated whoever is in charge. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Supercidered, For your benefit and others i have added Warnock.

As I said in my OP, Warnock could be a short term solution but nothing more. That said I think Pembo/Wade can do that or we hit the ground running now with a long term appointment. .. what I would do.

I have to agree with that on both counts!

I'd obviously go for Moyes if he said yes.but don't believe he would.  Of more realistic options, I'd be happy with Garry Monk or Di Matteo.  Or indeed Chris Powell.  In terms of leftfield options that are showing up on the bookies' lists, I'm a bit intrigued by Jaap Stam and wonder if the board should interview him and see if they like what he has to say.  Pearson'd be interesting but it'd basically be signing the closest thing we could find to a carbon copy of Cotterill and it'd make me wonder about the logic of replacing him in the first place. 

I'm massively against Warnock for one reason alone, which is that I'm aware he doesn't sign or play young players for the future because he only wants players who'll make him look good in the short-term rather than building clubs for the long-term.  I also think we need someone who's more of a head coach than a conventional control-all manager.

I would love Moyes or Di Matteo, I don't have an issue with Pearson, I wouldn't want to go for a pint with him but that's neither here nor there. I think the win ratio is a little misleading, Moyes has never managed outside the Premier league and I would say on that basis his win ratio supersedes almost all the others. I really don't want a short term person whether it is Warnock or anyone else.

Edited by Port Said Red

Of course we would love Moyes to come here or Di Matteo and the other big names. They just won't come here. We can't attract a kid from Bolton ffs and we need to dig in and fight and we need someone who will squeeze every last point out this threadbare squad and bring in some tried and trusted experienced battlers.... even if it is for the short term.

Tony Mowbray and Steve Clarke are both names not mentioned in the poll. Mowbray has vast experience in the Championship and has had a good season so far with Coventry in League One. Clarke is well known to us having already managed at Fulham this season. I think both managers would have good contacts in order to bring in players during the remainder of the transfer window. As much as Moyes or Di Matteo would be superb appointments, I don't think either are realistic, and the club should be looking at managers such as Mowbray and Clarke. 

13 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Of course we would love Moyes to come here or Di Matteo and the other big names. They just won't come here. We can't attract a kid from Bolton ffs and we need to dig in and fight and we need someone who will squeeze every last point out this threadbare squad and bring in some tried and trusted experienced battlers.... even if it is for the short term.

Coppell came, why not Moyes? Clough did not come because of our lowly league position and perhaps the perception of Cotterill although i doubt that point. 

Why do many believe we cannot attract a big name? There are 92 clubs, 44 in the top two divisions and, right now, I believe we are about the only vacancy or perhaps one other. There are many top name manager's unemployed and always only a very few vacancies; they can rot away at home and, if they are out of a job too long, people will start to ask why. For them City is either a great opportunity or a stepping stone back into a bigger job. Either way we are, for sure, a big attraction to many top managers.

Edited by havanatopia

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I would love Moyes or Di Matteo, I don't have an issue with Pearson, I wouldn't want to go for a pint with him but that's neither here nor there. I think the win ratio is a little misleading, Moyes has never managed outside the Premier league and I would say on that basis his win ratio supersedes almost all the others. I really don't want a short term person whether it is Warnock or anyone else.

Moyes managed PNE for four years,  getting promotion before he went to Everton.

13 minutes ago, BCFC Josh said:

Tony Mowbray and Steve Clarke are both names not mentioned in the poll. Mowbray has vast experience in the Championship and has had a good season so far with Coventry in League One. Clarke is well known to us having already managed at Fulham this season. I think both managers would have good contacts in order to bring in players during the remainder of the transfer window. As much as Moyes or Di Matteo would be superb appointments, I don't think either are realistic, and the club should be looking at managers such as Mowbray and Clarke. 

Tony Mowbray is in a job and has a pointer per game figure of 1.47.. lower than my cut off; cannot put everyone up there. I put Tisdale and Monk, as I said, only because many people have talked about them. As for Steve Clarke?.. what exactly has he done? very inexperienced and not a big name which, in my opinion, we need. And....

His PPG is 1.25.. pretty abysmal.

Edited by havanatopia

The club will now be looking to recruit a new head coach.

Dawe added: “I thank Steve Cotterill for all his efforts over the last two seasons. Sadly we haven’t managed to push on from last season and the time has come for us to all move forward.

The club’s aspiration is to ultimately become a Premier League club and this decision has been made to achieve our overall strategy for growth and player development.”

Yes we hear you..now stop faffing about and give Moyes what he wants to sort this merry go round of mediocrity out.

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Initially I wanted McIness. He was shit. 

I wanted O'Driscoll. He was ultra shit. 

Initially I didn't want Cotts. He was immense. 

So, to conclude, I'd like someone I don't want. 

Go with City1984 then. points per game is immense..

Name in home country: Julen Lopetegui Argote
Date of birth: Sep 28, 1966
Place of birth: Asteasu  Spain
Nationality: Spain  Spain
ø term as coach: 1,60 Years
Points per match as manager: 2,37
Success rate as coach: 74,0 % Wins
15,4 % Draw
10,6 % Losses
Trainer licence : UEFA Pro licence
Preferred formation:

4-3-3 off.

IN CHARGE AT FC PORTO until a week ago. You don't ask you don't get.

Edited by havanatopia

41 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd obviously go for Moyes if he said yes.but don't believe he would.  Of more realistic options, I'd be happy with Garry Monk or Di Matteo.  Or indeed Chris Powell.  In terms of left field options that are showing up on the bookies' lists, I'm a bit intrigued by Jaap Stam and wonder if the board should interview him and see if they like what he has to say.  Pearson'd be interesting but it'd basically be signing the closest thing we could find to a carbon copy of Cotterill and it'd make me wonder about the logic of replacing him in the first place. 

I'm massively against Warnock for one reason alone, which is that I'm aware he doesn't sign or play young players for the future because he only wants players who'll make him look good in the short-term rather than building clubs for the long-term.  I also think we need someone who's more of a head coach than a conventional control-all manager.

Chris Powell - PPG = 1.41. he likes a 4-4-2

Jaap Stam - PPG = 1.85 - 4-3-3 - albeit with Ajax U21 team of which he is currently still doing. So he is in a job but not a bad possibility out of the left field as you say. There would be compensation I assume though.

I look at that list and ask why is Tisdale even on it. Poor PPG and if Cotterill couldn't attract them, what presence has Tisdale got? 

The only person I can see there that we could realistically get, and has the experience for the next level that we need to get to, is Pearson. If not, a short term Warnock to get us out of the cart.

3 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I look at that list and ask why is Tisdale even on it. Poor PPG and if Cotterill couldn't attract them, what presence has Tisdale got? 

The only person I can see there that we could realistically get, and has the experience for the next level that we need to get to, is Pearson. If not, a short term Warnock to get us out of the cart.

Please read my OP you lazy scalliwag !!

I understand the logic of a high profile manager but one of those usually expects a high profile budget and I do not believe that the club will provide that. Certainly not with a couple of weeks to go in the silly season.

Colin for me short term.If we stay up then the owner needs to look at the club top to bottom if he's really serious about the prem.

28 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Go with City1984 then. points per game is immense..

Name in home country: Julen Lopetegui Argote
Date of birth: Sep 28, 1966
Place of birth: Asteasu  Spain
Nationality: Spain  Spain
ø term as coach: 1,60 Years
Points per match as manager: 2,37
Success rate as coach: 74,0 % Wins
15,4 % Draw
10,6 % Losses
Trainer licence : UEFA Pro licence
Preferred formation:

4-3-3 off.

IN CHARGE AT FC PORTO until a week ago. You don't ask you don't get.

Does that points per match include his time as Spanish under 20something coach? I don't think he has a lot of experience as the top man.

Edited by Kingswood Robin

Could we add Glenn Hoddle? Maybe unrealistic, but might like our plan( if we still have one that is!). Also very tactically savvy, who I also believe has adopted a 3-5-2 formation in his career. Would easily attract players I would imagine. Would be the big name a lot seem to be craving. Has spent time in this part of the country. Would really be a show of intent. Anyone else with me? Or am I up in the clouds on my own!? Although I've not got a clue about win percentage.

Edited by Simon79