IGNORED

POLL FOR NEW BOSS - THE SEARCH BEGINS

havanatopia

The New Manager  

458 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yes, which is why Lansdown will probably take it

Ouch.

6 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Oh dear. Even money current favourite with Sky Bet didn't even get on this list. Hope the OP knows better than the punters betting on Pearce.

Betting is hardly the oracle.

2 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

don't get why so many people would readily accept Monk

By usual yardsticks i would have to disagree that, on this poll at least, 3.64% is hardly 'many people'. 

I'm really not a fan of the guy, but I reckon wheelin' dealin' Happy Redknapp could be a viable option.

He's clearly holding out for the Bournemouth job, but Eddie Howe isn't going anywhere for at least a year. He's got a record of success, which Lansdown will like, and he likes to spend a bit, which is something the fans want to see right now.

Our more successful managers tend to be the gobby ones. Tacticians rarely get the best out of this club, so I don't see the point in hiring someone who is set in their ways of how to play football. Redknapp is a motivator, and I reckon he can get us mid-table by the end of the season, and a real push towards the playoffs next season. A season later, he might make the playoffs.

Sure, we'd be nothing but a stepping stone for him, but if it gets us stability in this league, and a chance for Lansdown to loosen the purse strings I say go for it.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just saw the same story on my Twitter timeline. 

Came out of nowhere 

I voted for Moyes because I think he is the best manager on the list. Do I think he will come to City - not a chance. This is a manager that has been in the premier league for years, as well as managed at a side that played champions league football not so long ago. The job he did at Everton on a shoe string budget, bringing in the players that he did, was incredible. I'm sure half of the clubs in the premier league would take him as manager, as well most of the championship. Why would he join a team in the relegation zone of the championship? Yes we have a great fan base, some good young players, a fantastic stadium about to be completed, but we could be in league one next season, and there's no way in a million years David Moyes will be there in league one. I think Nigel Pearson would be the next best - great job with Leicester, knows how to motivate a team to survive in a league, and most probably has numerous contacts from his past clubs. People like Warnock is a backwards step in terms of showing how ambitious we are and how serious we are about staying in the championship and progressing further thereafter. We need to go all out to get a big name in now who's got experience at higher levels and could encourage people to sign after the disappointments of Gray, Gayle, Clough and possibly Dack. 

What about joe Jordan til end of season:-

1. He has played for us

2. managed us twice

3. learnt from redknapp since

4. up to speed with modern football since last season

5. has a network of players and football in general

6. knows the technical side of game.

7. would leave strategic direction to ashton

8. would easily tell board they know FA about football

Curbishley gets featured in the odds every time a vacancy appears and rightly so.  The oddity is why nobody has appointed him - presumably because he is too selective or because he is asking too high a salary.

Talking of former players named Joe, one name that never gets a mention is Joe Royle.  I assume, perhaps wrongly, he is no longer pursuing a managerial career.  He has a more than solid 39% average win rate wiith the three clubs he managed - Everton, Manchester Cityand Oldham.  Perhaps too out of touch with the Championship and the modern game to do a fire fighting job here but there are plenty of worse options featuring high up in the betting odds.    I'd still go for Curbishley though.

Sorry but it's Colin for me. Not a long-term solution but hopefully keeps us up while buying time for a longer-term appointment. I see Colin has hardened a bit (sorry) to 9/4 in the betting so I'm not alone it seems. We need to get this sorted now though before the window closes. Colin will get us one or two decent players as his appointment will encourage them to come here based upon his reputation and also knowing he won't be here that long.

On 1/17/2016 at 15:17, havanatopia said:

You have mentioned this fella Lagerback, I don't know maybe 45 times over the past 12 months, so for once you deserve some sort of riposte.. the guy has only ever managed at national team level so has no experience, whatsoever, of club football. That does not mean he would be a failure but he sounds a scarier version of Benny if you ask me so, in short, he is way too risky as much as you obviously have shares in him. His PPG is not bad but not revolutionary given its relatively few games and, again, international matches only.

Sorry bud... he will not be managing our club anytime soon if ever.

Name in home country: Lars Edvin Lagerbäck
Date of birth: Jul 16, 1948
Place of birth: Katrineholm  Sweden
Nationality: Sweden  Sweden
ø term as coach: 4,73 Years
Points per match as manager: 1,52
Success rate as coach: 43,8 % Wins
21,1 % Draw
35,2 % Losses
Preferred formation: 4-4-2

To be honest, anyone who would turn down Lars Lagerback is a fool.  Massively experienced and respected manager who did well with Sweden has worked miracles with Iceland.  However firstly I'm sure he could do better than a Championship club, secondly I don't think he's going to turn his back on a final European Championship this Summer and thirdly it's a completely moot point as he's already announced his attention to retire.  However the fact that there are fans on here dismissing him just shows fans' ignorance of global football.

On 26 January 2016 at 04:43, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest, anyone who would turn down Lars Lagerback is a fool.  Massively experienced and respected manager who did well with Sweden has worked miracles with Iceland.  However firstly I'm sure he could do better than a Championship club, secondly I don't think he's going to turn his back on a final European Championship this Summer and thirdly it's a completely moot point as he's already announced his attention to retire.  However the fact that there are fans on here dismissing him just shows fans' ignorance of global football.

Calling one ignorant is a silly and condescending choice of words regardless of argument but set against the inconvenient truth, for you, that the man has no league experience whatsoever is perhaps the real definition of that very word. By copy and pasting my remarks you are responding to me directly yet you choose to state the obvious of his record, start with fool and then finish it off with ignorant and within your same context.

P.s. Nobody disputes his 'vast' experience but that is not the point.

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Calling one ignorant is a silly and condescending choice of words regardless of argument but set against the inconvenient truth, for you, that the man has no league experience whatsoever is perhaps the real definition of that very word. By copy and pasting my remarks you are responding to me directly yet you choose to state the obvious of his record, start with fool and then finish it off with ignorant and within your same context.

P.s. Nobody disputes his 'vast' experience but that is not the point.

In this case your 'inconvenient truth' is actually an 'inconvenient factual inaccuracy'. Not to let facts get in the way of a good rant but he's got 9 years of league experience over 12 year with three different clubs.  I apologise for calling you ignorant but, in this particular case, you do have your facts wrong.

On 15/01/2016 at 11:21, cynic said:

I would think that half of those on that list would be well out of reach !

I don't really care who it is personally as we're back to square one and, given time, I'm resigned to the probable fact that we'll be there again.

So I'll just accept who it is and go along with it as per usual.

More than half.

Surprised Mourihno wasn't included.

Unless a boatload of money is added the pile, Pearson will likely get the nod.

And he is crap, why he gets credit for Leicester having a great season is beyond me.

The guy is a bit like Cotterill, effective to a point at a given level...but limited when the level increases.

5 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Just saw Micky Mellon on TV and thought I'd have a look at his managerial record. He has a win ratio of over 50% from 319 games, albeit in the lower half of the league. 

Indeed.  I'd have thought he might be the kind of manager that the board are looking at and certainly I think we could do far worse.

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

In this case your 'inconvenient truth' is actually an 'inconvenient factual inaccuracy'. Not to let facts get in the way of a good rant but he's got 9 years of league experience over 12 year with three different clubs.  I apologise for calling you ignorant but, in this particular case, you do have your facts wrong.

I took my stat facts from www.transfermarkt.co.uk which only shows national teams he has managed; unless you wish to add on his time with Kilafors 33 years ago where he presided over zero matches. I am sure you are not so be happy to see where your stats came from. 

OK did a bit more digging and see he did manage two obscure Swedish (?) teams but that ended in 1989. So long ago that most stat sites don't even mention it. I can only base my views, and rightly so, on what the more respected stat sites show; if you are so adament that league management over a quarter century ago is justification for considering the guy that is your perogative but suggesting someone, anyone, would be a fool to discount him i would suggest is unreasonable. 

Edited by havanatopia

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I took my stat facts from www.transfermarkt.co.uk which only shows national teams he has managed; unless you wish to add on his time with Kilafors 33 years ago where he presided over zero matches. I am sure you are not so be happy to see where your stats came from. 

Transfermarkt lists his time with Kilafors from 1977 to 1983 (most profiles suggest he actually left in 1982) but leaves out two later spells managing Arbrå BK from 1983 to 1985 and from Hudiksvalls ABK from 1987 to 1989. Check any bio of him (the one on Uefa.com is an example and so too are the below from the bbc and the telegraph) and these spells are listed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8540420.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/nigeria/7767678/Lars-Lagerback-Nigeria-coach-at-World-Cup-2010.html

Even going with transfermarkt though, think for a second. They list him being there from 77 to 83. Do you really think he managed a football team for 5 or 6 years and didn't take charge of a single game? And, for that matter, then became Swedish u-21 manager and don't manage a single game there either? Or is it perhaps more logical to conclude transfermarkt does not actually stats from the Swedish lower leagues prior to the invention of the internet?

As for actual stats for how Lageback got on in those roles, I do not have those any more than transfemarkt do. All I can tell you is he was at his first club for five years so one presumes they weren't anxious to sack him, and he must have done enough in the two subsequent roles in order to get offered a job with the national set-up so I guess he did okay.

But how he did back then wasn't my point and nor is the fact that he has managed the likes of Henrik Larsson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and has most recently taken a country with three quarters the population of Bristol to their first ever European Championship and the brink of a World Cup. My point was merely that it is inaccurate to say he has never managed at club level based on one stats site when this is contradicted multiple times elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Transfermarkt lists his time with Kilafors from 1977 to 1983 (most profiles suggest he actually left in 1982) but leaves out two later spells managing Arbrå BK from 1983 to 1985 and from Hudiksvalls ABK from 1987 to 1989. Check any bio of him (the one on Uefa.com is an example and so too are the below from the bbc and the telegraph) and these spells are listed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8540420.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/nigeria/7767678/Lars-Lagerback-Nigeria-coach-at-World-Cup-2010.html

Even going with transfermarkt though, think for a second. They list him being there from 77 to 83. Do you really think he managed a football team for 5 or 6 years and didn't take charge of a single game? And, for that matter, then became Swedish u-21 manager and don't manage a single game there either? Or is it perhaps more logical to conclude transfermarkt does not actually stats from the Swedish lower leagues prior to the invention of the internet?

As for actual stats for how Lageback got on in those roles, I do not have those any more than transfemarkt do. All I can tell you is he was at his first club for five years so one presumes they weren't anxious to sack him, and he must have done enough in the two subsequent roles in order to get offered a job with the national set-up so I guess he did okay.

But how he did back then wasn't my point and nor is the fact that he has managed the likes of Henrik Larsson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and has most recently taken a country with three quarters the population of Bristol to their first ever European Championship and the brink of a World Cup. My point was merely that it is inaccurate to say he has never managed at club level based on one stats site when this is contradicted multiple times elsewhere.

That is what banter is all about; respectfully countering or agreeing with another view; you kinda lose my interest in how you started off. Anyway we move on... Always a risk you are right taking stats from one site as gospel.

However you do keep harping on about his international attributes which have never been in dispute here; the guy has done a fabulous job. Although my argument of him never managing at club level was wrong i still stand by him not being suitable because its in a totally different era, its in a different country and its with teams i doubt would be good enough in our 4th Division. 

And if you read back through your posts you also define his league experience as relevant and later say its not the point. So i will assume your later position that its not which means you think he is a good candidate based on his international experience. Fair enough but i disagree.

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

That is what banter is all about; respectfully countering or agreeing with another view; you kinda lose my interest in how you started off. Anyway we move on... Always a risk you are right taking stats from one site as gospel.

However you do keep harping on about his international attributes which have never been in dispute here; the guy has done a fabulous job. Although my argument of him never managing at club level was wrong i still stand by him not being suitable because its in a totally different era, its in a different country and its with teams i doubt would be good enough in our 4th Division. 

And if you read back through your posts you also define his league experience as relevant and later say its not the point. So i will assume your later position that its not which means you think he is a good candidate based on his international experience. Fair enough but i disagree.

First off, to be clear, I don't think he's a good candidate.  I think he's a completely unviable candidate because he's about to retire and, if he was looking for a new job, he'd quite rightly think he could do a lot better than a second tier club in England.   It just rankled with me that anyone would be so dismissive of the qualities of someone who has proven himself on stages far larger than Ashton Gate.

Secondly, of course 9 years of experience 30 years ago would be meaningless on its own but this is in the context of someone who moved from that experience to the international stage and has been in constant employment since.  I imagine Alan Sugar hasn't had direct experience as a salesman since the early 80s but, given he's only not worked in sales because he's worked himself into a higher position elsewhere, it'd be silly to use that as a reason why he wouldn't be suitable for a job as a salesman.

I don't necessarily think Lagerback is likely to come to Ashton Gate any time soon, and nor do I think it would necessarily be good for him or the club.  I just think your post was overly-dismissive of someone who deserves a lot more respect.

More generally - and this isn't particularly directed at you - I find it incredible how many people on here are so choosy and so dismissive about so many candidates.  Before my time as a City fan, the club appointed a 34 year old who had played 33 games in the top flight, 55 games in Division Three and then spent 5 years as an assistant manager in the second and third divisions.  Such a candidate would be derided today but Alan Dicks stayed for 13 years and took us into the top flight.  Our most successful manager since then had managed the Latvian national football team and a conference and League Two team prior to coming to us.  Meanwhile, of the two biggest names to be appointed in my time as a City fan, one spent a fortune but couldn't get us out of League One and the other stormed off after two matches.  I've no idea why so many people on here persist with the idea that past success is the best indicator of future success when there's so much first-hand evidence suggesting this is not the case.