IGNORED

POLL: Directors of the Football Club - should they be sacked?

NickJ

Directors of Bristol City Football Club  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't believe we have the information to make an informed decision on this. There seems to be 2 different takes on the summer transfer window:

1. Cotts targets were over ambitious and never likely to sign for us. We wasted time pursuing them instead of doing what SL wanted which was considering the best of the rest from league 1. So Cotts mainly to blame.

2. Cotts identified 4 players (including McGuire but not Gayle or Gray) with championship experience he wanted and got verbal deals sorted. He went on holiday and 'the board' tried to negotiate down those verbal deals and all fell through. Only then did we switch to Gayle and Gray. So the board mainly to blame.

If it was option 2 then maybe Pelling's departure was the result already.

8 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Jesus, I think @NickJ has been clear. You obviously don't agree, but I'm sure you can work out what he's trying to say

I never said I don't agree and I'm not sure I can work it out if I'm honest. Just seems to say he wants "football people" involved. But I don't know if that means Gazza or Richard Scudamore.

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I never said I don't agree and I'm not sure I can work it out if I'm honest. Just seems to say he wants "football people" involved. But I don't know if that means Gazza or Richard Scudamore.

Cool - apologies!

Christ, neither of those, although Scudamore is a City fan....

Feel the third option is using loaded wording to avoid people voting for it. IF the story about trying to renegotiate summer transfers is true then by the sounds of it Pelling paid the price for it and members of the current board shouldn't be sacked if the person responsible has been highlighted. 

Yes lets sack the board, that should make it easier to get a new quality manager in quickly 

The fact we don't know who was at fault, well so what sack em any way.

That John Lansdown bloke, let sack him, after all it will save him taking over as chairman in the future and carrying on SL's legacy, on him why not get him to sling his hook and the millions of pounds investment, after all who needs a new ground and stability.

I did not want SC sacked, but it seems his failure to be able to get fresh quality players in this transfer window, even given the backing to do so created a situation that needed drastic action.

Very few directors of football clubs have experience in the sport before they take their posts. That is as true in big clubs as it is here. I'm not against the idea of having a senior player from the past, like Jordan, as a non-exec to give them a bit of practical advice, but does anyone think that Steve Lansdown is going to sack his son and his mates who he appointed to the job??

40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So how would you go about 'sacking the Board' ?

The process is that a shareholders meeting is held and the shareholders vote.

The question being asked is "should they be sacked", not "are we in a position to sack them".

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

The backgrounds of the current board are, I think, in order of as stated in the opening post, IT & recruitment, administration, property, and nothing in particular.

Replacing at least one with the considered appointment of somebody with direct football experience and contacts is more likely to be an improvement than not, I would say.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Very few directors of football clubs have experience in the sport before they take their posts. That is as true in big clubs as it is here. I'm not against the idea of having a senior player from the past, like Jordan, as a non-exec to give them a bit of practical advice, but does anyone think that Steve Lansdown is going to sack his son and his mates who he appointed to the job??

Indeed.  I'd be massively in favour of Joe Jordan having some sort of role at the club but fundamentally I'd rather we had a board who knew something about running  a football club as a business rather than a footballing figurehead with no business background.  Not to say our board don't make mistakes but I don't think appointing famous footballers is necessarily a recipe for running a club well.  Businessmen who are fans of the club is the best model to me.  And I would say that, for all that's gone wrong this season, I'd take Steve Lansdown over 90% of the owners in British football and I'd suggest anyone who wants Lansdown out looks at other clubs like Blackpool or Villa or indeed remembers this Aesop's fable...

http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?sel&TheFrogsDesiringaKing

I've voted to a board member going, however this has already happened with Pelling being the first to be sacrificed, followed by Cotts.

Need to move on straight away though - the last thing this club needs right now is division in the fan base.  Eternally grateful for what he managed to do over the last eighteen months, but sadly sacking the manager is, has and always will be part and parcel of the game.  We're Bristol City fans, not Steve Cotterill or Keith Dawe fans.  We were here before them and will be here after.  It's not like SarahB where we'll ditch the club as soon as SC gets another job!

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The process is that a shareholders meeting is held and the shareholders vote.

The question being asked is "should they be sacked", not "are we in a position to sack them".

The backgrounds of the current board are, I think, in order of as stated in the opening post, IT & recruitment, administration, property, and nothing in particular.

Replacing at least one with the considered appointment of somebody with direct football experience and contacts is more likely to be an improvement than not, I would say.

Replacing Jon Lansdown with Joe Jordan would be a massive step forward for this club.

Unfortunately, it would involve the nepotism that is rife throughout this club (as in, it is systemic) being abolished.

The directors are responsible for the day to day and long term management of the club. This excludes the day to day football activities as they are the responsibility of the manager. We don't know how well the directors have been in managing the non football activities. All we have visibility of is the football side - i e the results. Whether or not money is availability for new players is decided by Steve Lansdown and he has said that money was available in the summer for players Cotts wanted to sign. 

As the directors didn't try to pick the team and Steve Lansdown made money available then, IMO, the blame lies with Cotts. The fact that the directors don't make many, if any, public statements is irrelevant. Steve Lansdown makes regular statements to the press about the financial aspects and Cotts made regular, increasingly bad tempered, statements about the team. 

Just now, pongo88 said:

The directors are responsible for the day to day and long term management of the club. This excludes the day to day football activities as they are the responsibility of the manager. We don't know how well the directors have been in managing the non football activities. All we have visibility of is the football side - i e the results. Whether or not money is availability for new players is decided by Steve Lansdown and he has said that money was available in the summer for players Cotts wanted to sign. 

As the directors didn't try to pick the team and Steve Lansdown made money available then, IMO, the blame lies with Cotts. The fact that the directors don't make many, if any, public statements is irrelevant. Steve Lansdown makes regular statements to the press about the financial aspects and Cotts made regular, increasingly bad tempered, statements about the team. 

Correct. Let’s look at it another way, have the board and football management teams met they're objectives over the past two seasons.....

2014/2015

Board of Directors 

• Employ/maintain a football management structure that is capable of bringing success to the club........box ticked
  • Provide funds and a wage structure to enable the management to purchase the best players possible and produce a capable squad.....box ticked
  • Continue to run the club's business interests to ensure suitable training, player development, stadium and corporate facilities are available......box ticked
  • Continue to run the clubs finances to ensure the club remains in business, is financially viable and sustainable........box ticked

Football Management

• Source the best players within the budget available to produce a squad of players capable of competing in the division.........box ticked
  • Train the squad in all aspects of the game including inspiring, motivating, protecting, mentoring and developing the squad of players.......box ticked
  • Ensure the football management/coaching staff produce tactics, formations, game plans to compete in the division .......box ticked
  • Win games......box ticked  

Yay…….everyone’s happy!

2015/2016

Board of Directors 

• Employ/maintain a football management structure that is capable of bringing success to the club........failed (however, they have now acted on that)
  • Provide funds and a wage structure to enable the management to purchase the best players possible and produce a capable squad......box ticked (if you believe the board)
  • Continue to run the club's business interests to ensure suitable training, player development, stadium and corporate facilities are available......box ticked
  • Continue to run the clubs finances to ensure the club remains in business, is financially viable and sustainable........box ticked

Football Management

• Source the best players within the budget available to produce a squad of players capable of competing in the division.........failed
  • Train the squad in all aspects of the game including inspiring, motivating, protecting, mentoring and developing the squad of players.......box ticked (however, as much as the squad played for SC, it wasn't working)
  • Ensure the football management/coaching staff produce tactics, formations, game plans to compete in the division .......failed
  • Win games......failed

Booo……something has to give, who failed in their objectives?

6 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

True. But as SL owns over 50% of the shares, any such decisions are entirely down to him.

Correct....So all his lttle brown nosers are safe,none are accountable for all the lashups we have seen in the last 7 months,bring on the next fall guy.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The statement released last night was written by Lisa Knights !

Who is Lisa Knights anyway. I see her name mentioned more and more, isn't she the woman who stands infront of the redevelopment and tells us about it in videos. Before this season and maybe part of the last I've never heard of her.

Don't tell me, she used to be the tea lady and is on a similar career path to the bloke who used to cut the grass.

edit; sorry I see you answered this before, I missed it

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Who is Lisa Knights anyway. I see her name mentioned more and more, isn't she the woman who stands infront of the redevelopment and tells us about it in videos. Before this season and maybe part of the last I've never heard of her.

Don't tell me, she used to be the tea lady and is on a similar career path to the bloke who used to cut the grass.

TV & radio presenter - was with Sky.

The media team seem to have been very quiet this season compared to last.

13 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Correct....So all his lttle brown nosers are safe,none are accountable for all the lashups we have seen in the last 7 months,bring on the next fall guy.

Whatever may or may not have happened over the summer transfer window, Pelling was booted out. Whether that was directly to do with transfers nobody knows.

The following 7 months "lashups" (?) and our current predicament can only be placed at the door of SC......

Or do you want to blame the board for team selection, tactics, formations, lack of substitutions, lack of use of loan signings, lack of wins

44 minutes ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

How come the "organization" take the plaudits for last season's successes, but when it all goes pear shaped its **** all to do with them?

What an odd thing to say! 

Where has the organisation taken the plaudits? They were part of the success but ultimately SC and the players took the plaudits?

Where are the organisation now when "it all goes pear shaped"? Quite rightly making the decision to remove the mananger who has failed this season

What does Doug Harman do? I have only ever had one dealing with him which was prior to the Hull play off final. I stated to him that I was having difficulties getting a ticket for the game where I wanted to sit and that I was almost in tears, "yes it's great isn't it" he replied. He'd completely missed my point and hurried away having dealt with another customer. Now, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he'd misunderstood me, having said that, he's been there a long time and witnessed lots of abject failures during that time, while progressing upwards within the club personally. I don't mean this as a slur, I'm just curious as to whether he does a good job for the club.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

What does Doug Harman do? I have only ever had one dealing with him which was prior to the Hull play off final. I stated to him that I was having difficulties getting a ticket for the game where I wanted to sit and that I was almost in tears, "yes it's great isn't it" he replied. He'd completely missed my point and hurried away having dealt with another customer. Now, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he'd misunderstood me, having said that, he's been there a long time and witnessed lots of abject failures during that time, while progressing upwards within the club personally. I don't mean this as a slur, I'm just curious as to whether he does a good job for the club.

Well he cracked me up with that line. I like him already.

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

So it's

85% think at least one on the board should be sacked.

That settles it. If 85% of the forum thinks the board should be sacked, they must be doing a good job. 

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

What an odd thing to say! 

Where has the organisation taken the plaudits? They were part of the success but ultimately SC and the players took the plaudits?

Where are the organisation now when "it all goes pear shaped"? Quite rightly making the decision to remove the mananger who has failed this season

Should have said " in conjunction with" in their words. If they were part of the success last year, why aren't they part of the failure now?

Archived