IGNORED

Rhoys Wiggins

Negan

30 minutes ago, Super said:

This is worrying if true. 

Why? We don't exactly have the luxury of being choosy at this stage after how badly things have been messed up. At 300k if he can help us out in a pinch when we're short on bodies then get him in. We probably wasted that on wages for Moore and Cox who played about 9 minutes between them!

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Why? We don't exactly have the luxury of being choosy at this stage after how badly things have been messed up. At 300k if he can help us out in a pinch when we're short on bodies then get him in. We probably wasted that on wages for Moore and Cox who played about 9 minutes between them!

Just that we are signing players who the new manager might not even want.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Rather have jb at left back and then freeman or a new winger on the left. 

Would be a real waste using Bryan in a defensive capacity - his strengths lie in attacking.

The reality is there's less than two weeks of the window left and we're in the drop zone - we're not going to get everything we want! We have no depth at all in the squad, and we need bodies. Unfortunately we've made a mess of recruitment now in two windows and I don't think we can afford to be too fussy.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Just that we are signing players who the new manager might not even want.

Trouble is though, even if a new manager is here within a week, that leaves almost no time to assess the squad and make signings. You could say that about any of the players we already have to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Would be a real waste using Bryan in a defensive capacity - his strengths lie in attacking.

The reality is there's less than two weeks of the window left and we're in the drop zone - we're not going to get everything we want! We have no depth at all in the squad, and we need bodies. Unfortunately we've made a mess of recruitment now in two windows and I don't think we can afford to be too fussy.

Ayling was playing RB yesterday. 

Mark Ashton said yesterday one of his main priorities was to get new players in before the window closed. He masterminded the players we bought before last season as a consultant so clearly knows what he's doing. I doubt whether we'll sign anyone over a million though until the new manager has been confirmed, the players we'll be adding now will just to give us more numbers so the squad can be rotated more.

our biggest problem has been squad size this season. Wade and JP can set the players up for now,sod the new manager,he can wait for a week or 2,the fa wont extend the transfer window while we look at managers.strengthening the squad has to be TOP priority. we know our boys are good enough ,just need a bit of help and experience on field. bringing wilbs on late was a good call yesterday,helping to secure a draw, the goal was a massive bonus

Wiggins was very good at Charlton, him and Chris Solly both good full backs. For whatever reason its just not worked out for him at Sheffield Wed. We need a left back and at 300k when they paid £750k in the summer for him. Could be a good piece of business if true.

1 minute ago, Gilts said:

Wiggins was very good at Charlton, him and Chris Solly both good full backs. For whatever reason its just not worked out for him at Sheffield Wed. We need a left back and at 300k when they paid £750k in the summer for him. Could be a good piece of business if true.

We'll have none of that positivity on here! ;) 

Says a lot to me. Back to the £200-300k price range that SL has always liked to operate around. SC was holding out for quality and now he's gone the club will go back to its comfort zone. 

Totally agree we need more bodies but we've had years of bringing in players at that price level that are good at L1 level but not up to the Championship. A bit depressing imho.

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Says a lot to me. Back to the £200-300k price range that SL has always liked to operate around. SC was holding out for quality and now he's gone the club will go back to its comfort zone. 

Totally agree we need more bodies but we've had years of bringing in players at that price level that are good at L1 level but not up to the Championship. A bit depressing imho.

Wednesday paid £750K for Wiggins, he's apparently a very good player but injury prone, if it wasn't for that he'd be worth a lot more. Our people must realise that but he won't be expected to play too many games we must be getting him as good cover when we need rotation.

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Bit harsh, there's a lot of factors that contribute to a fee paid, and more money does not instantly mean more quality. We paid £50k for Garita and what, £2m for Kodjia?

What were the fees agreed for Gayle and Gray, £6m and £9m? SL has clearly been willing to spend for the right players.

So if he's that good why are they letting him go at a loss after a few months? And why do the Wed fans have such negative opinions on him?

I don't know anything about him tbh so this isn't really about him in particular. Maybe it will turn out to be a bargain. All I am saying is this is an illustration of where the club really wants to go. Buy them in cheap and hope some turn out to be gems. As opposed to chasing quality and paying big bucks.

This is partly why we have struggled at this level. You pay peanuts.........

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

So if he's that good why are they letting him go at a loss after a few months? And why do the Wed fans have such negative opinions on him?

I don't know anything about him tbh so this isn't really about him in particular. Maybe it will turn out to be a bargain. All I am saying is this is an illustration of where the club really wants to go. Buy them in cheap and hope some turn out to be gems. As opposed to chasing quality and paying big bucks.

This is partly why we have struggled at this level. You pay peanuts.........

I don't understand this. Not every player we chase has to be worth millions.

For me after that match it is clear a solid LB and RB are priorities behind another Defensive Midfield (Smith is immense but we need back up for him and a challenger for Pack, plus someone we can rotate).

Ayling is still suspect positionally, would rather have Little there myself but thing neither are the long term answer.

Byran should look to develop into a left winger who can defend, as Burns showed wingers who track back are like golddust. I really like Williams but again he needs competition at LB and isn't the long term answer either. Cunningham is proving the worst decision of the summer imo

22 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Really? At the expense of a tiny knackered squad I would suggest.

Poor management in my book.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Fredericks shitte for us very decent for Fulham.

could be a similar situation here.

As I say that may be the case with him. My point is more general. This is what SL has wanted all along - to aim at players in this price range. All the big bids were being driven by demands from SC. That was my feeling all along and if this transfer rumour is true it seems to support that feeling. That difference in view led to no signings. Just a bit disappointing if we settle for shopping in Aldi now there is no-one to argue against it.

4 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

let him sign before we rule him out

And let's see him play before we write him off too. 

Not the OTIB way though is it? If it's not a £1m+ deal or Ronaldo then they're obviously not good enough for all the Otib Managers!

If this is true, then welcome to the mad house Wiggins but stay the hell away from OTIB. 

Archived