IGNORED

Rhoys Wiggins

Negan

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

So if he's that good why are they letting him go at a loss after a few months? And why do the Wed fans have such negative opinions on him?

I don't know anything about him tbh so this isn't really about him in particular. Maybe it will turn out to be a bargain. All I am saying is this is an illustration of where the club really wants to go. Buy them in cheap and hope some turn out to be gems. As opposed to chasing quality and paying big bucks.

This is partly why we have struggled at this level. You pay peanuts.........

Didn't we let yannick bolasie go for peanuts and a lot of our fans thought he was shite, perceptions at one club doesn't tell the whole story!

45 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

Seeing as we have no out and out LBs at the club I'd suggest he would be a very good addition to the squad. Not sure all the negativity towards this tbh. 

On one hand people say we should be looking at bargains from lower leagues, well they will be 'cheap' so the chance to get someone in who's played this league before for 'cheap' should be explored shouldn't it?

What is or should be the going rate for a player? Should we go back to Wednesday and say actually we wanna give you £1m to appease the fans as that will automatically mean he's a better player? Perhaps 300k is what most players in our league should be going for and we're potentiallygetting a solid deal? I wonder if the Leicester fans were moaning on their forum when they only payed 500k for Myrez (sp?)

The squad is so depleted that if we had to spend 1m + for every squad place we need to improve we'd probably be looking at at least 15m 

I think it will depend on the length of contract and wages to deem it good business. Regardless...we need numbers and cover...but we don't need a player on a long contract that we aren't going to play in the future.

That happened with El Abd...long contract, massive wages, falls out with manager...hardly to feature again.

1 hour ago, Scrumpy said:

28 and never played for Wales, really?!

And we want/wanted this guy? Don't know a lot about him, but if he's half decent, then he must at least have caps for Wales if he's Welsh and deemed good enough for the Championship.

As mentioned, our transfer policy is bullshit, but is he the sort of guy we want to improve our squad?

He's around the same age as Neil Taylor and they also have Ben Davies too. It's a position Wales are pretty 'tidy' in and have been for some time. 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

He's around the same age as Neil Taylor and they also have Ben Davies too. It's a position Wales are pretty 'tidy' in and have been for one time. 

Can't say I've seen the guy play. Might have, but it's my own way of measuring the ability of those Taffs!

2 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

Hasn't really played a lot of games for a 28 year-old has he?

Similar comments were made about Wilbraham when we signed him/ 

Anyway I have decided to treat any thread that mentions twitter with the same disdain I reserve for Football Rumours. I don't get Twitter, never have never will, it seems to be the electronic version of the man in the pub..... 

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

That happened with El Abd...long contract, massive wages, falls out with manager...hardly to feature again.

I think we might actually see El Abd get a game in this interim period. He's fit, did well at Swindon by all accounts and plays better in a back 4. Maybe they will give Baker a rest against west  Brom and he'll step in?! We should try to use him for the money he's getting paid and his Championship experience.

3 minutes ago, Ray White said:

I think we might actually see El Abd get a game in this interim period. He's fit, did well at Swindon by all accounts and plays better in a back 4. Maybe they will give Baker a rest against west  Brom and he'll step in?! We should try to use him for the money he's getting paid and his Championship experience.

We won't. Cup tied.

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Re El Abd - with cotterill gone maybe the player will get a proper chance ?

Seems he was just chucked away after a bust up, time for him to be back in the fold (if he hasn't burnt his bridges with others) ?

100+ games at this level....often played out of position for us.  That's not to say he's the answer, but would bolster the squad.

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Similar comments were made about Wilbraham when we signed him/ 

Anyway I have decided to treat any thread that mentions twitter with the same disdain I reserve for Football Rumours. I don't get Twitter, never have never will, it seems to be the electronic version of the man in the pub..... 

It isn't. It's actually really good and can be really useful for current affairs breaking news in addition to sport. Where was the news about Cotts' sacking first reported? Journalist on Twitter.

It's like this forum - some posters/accounts have genuine inside knowledge, others are just time wasters. It's a common sense thing filtering out which posters/accounts to believe on either platform.

On Twitter, that attitude would be known as "your dad" ;)

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

Re El Abd - with cotterill gone maybe the player will get a proper chance ?

Seems he was just chucked away after a bust up, time for him to be back in the fold (if he hasn't burnt his bridges with others) ?

Not sure he's still got the quality at this level...but who knows...would rather let Zak Vyner have a go. He's been excellent everytime I've watched him.

He kept Macheda in his pocket most of the against Cardiff.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It isn't. It's actually really good and can be really useful for current affairs breaking news in addition to sport. Where was the news about Cotts' sacking first reported? Journalist on Twitter.

It's like this forum - some posters/accounts have genuine inside knowledge, others are just time wasters. It's a common sense thing filtering out which posters/accounts to believe.

Yes i saw the "useful" Twitter stuff that was posted on here when the Germany game was cancelled, none of it turned out to be true. It's no better than a red top gossip column in my opinion and I hate how all media is trying force people to only participate in the world through it. 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes i saw the "useful" Twitter stuff that was posted on here when the Germany game was cancelled, none of it turned out to be true. It's no better than a red top gossip column in my opinion and I hate how all media is trying force people to only participate in the world through it. 

That's the thing; it's about filtering it out. Same as "useful" stuff on here about Maynard's imminent return. 

The world and the media is changing and always will do - Twitter is instantaneous. If you spend a bit of time working out who to believe and who to dismiss, it's actually really useful. Shame to be close minded about it because it's a brilliant tool when used properly.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the thing; it's about filtering it out. Same as "useful" stuff on here about Maynard's imminent return. 

The world and the media is changing and always will do - Twitter is instantaneous. If you spend a bit of time working out who to believe and who to dismiss, it's actually really useful. Shame to be close minded about it because it's a brilliant tool when used properly.

What I don't understand is why it gets so much free publicity from the rest of the media world, especially the BBC which is supposed to be unbiased. If they mentioned a brand of washing powder they would have to say "other brands are available" or something, yet Twitter is giving completely free rein without question.

"Hi... Steve C here... in answer to your question about Greg... he was wanting first team football and it was adversely affecting him sitting in the reserves or on the bench. i could not guarantee him first team football so he asked if he could leave. What do I do? have a disgruntled player who may or may not play on a higher wage than most of the squad or do i let him go?"

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What I don't understand is why it gets so much free publicity from the rest of the media world, especially the BBC which is supposed to be unbiased. If they mentioned a brand of washing powder they would have to say "other brands are available" or something, yet Twitter is giving completely free rein without question.

Because there isn't a direct instantaneous comparison basically, all social media is different but Twitter remains the most instantaneous and easy to gather information quickly

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

"Hi... Steve C here... in answer to your question about Greg... he was wanting first team football and it was adversely affecting him sitting in the reserves or on the bench. i could not guarantee him first team football so he asked if he could leave. What do I do? have a disgruntled player who may or may not play on a higher wage than most of the squad or do i let him go?"

Plus the freeing up of his wages.  The logic behind Greg going was sound had we brought in a replacement ' cover.  Guessing Levi Ives wasn't that person.

5 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

As I say that may be the case with him. My point is more general. This is what SL has wanted all along - to aim at players in this price range. All the big bids were being driven by demands from SC. That was my feeling all along and if this transfer rumour is true it seems to support that feeling. That difference in view led to no signings. Just a bit disappointing if we settle for shopping in Aldi now there is no-one to argue against it.

And we have had so called quality players here before on 3 year contracts and high wages and look how that turned out!  Journey men!   Some posters on this Forum are never happy and should wait and see how this player and others that may be signed before a new manager takes over perform before shouting their mouths off.  FGS, as others have said, there are only a few more weeks before the window closes, so is it better to have our own players or loans who couldn't care less if we get relegated.  Have a bit of patience, it's only a few days since SC went!

1 hour ago, Ray White said:

That's a shame, I think the last time I saw him play for us was Oxford at home in the league cup last year. He was one of the only players who came out of that game with any credit.

Yes, agree; he's clearly been doing the business at Swindon, so hopefully has regained his confidence. I'm sure we'll see him again at some stage. If Baker keeps on throwing himself head first at anything that moves, not to mention the woodwork, he's bound to miss a game eventually!

31 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

We didn't give great reviews of Bolasie admittley but this is next level!! 

image.png

image.png

image.png

For the record I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, he has 2 legs and that is all that's required in our current situation!

They seem like a level headed bunch who's opinions ought to be respected... :) 

34 minutes ago, cynic said:

Like most of twitter, absolutely no sense of perspective.

What is the point of posting shite like that from a shite source - twitter, where bandwaggoners have a field day.

Bunch of brain dead arseholes who don't have an original thought between them.

I found it quite amusing.  Admittly I forgot that it's not the done thing on here to post stuff like that.  Can't delete it now.  My apologies.  

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

They seem like a level headed bunch who's opinions ought to be respected... :) 

Haha, I'm of the opion that he should be given a chance and it could be good business at a cut price, we haven't got anything to lose really.  He could just not like it up north and who could blame him, he is a Londoner after all!  The club must have thought highly of him 6 months ago to pay £750k for him.  

Perhaps we should all be saying he's sh*t tho so he turns out to be awesome for us ;)

Let's hope this rumor is true.. Got a feeling he will be a good asset to our squad, good age, championship experience. 

Get this deal over the line and a few more additions before the window closes were not going to be a million miles away.

Archived