IGNORED

Mark Robins

'Orns

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Absolutely agree, but was heavily linked before DMac, I think? Just thought I'd mention it as we have a position to fill....

Yeah I remember SL being a fan. Think this appointment will be influenced by potential fan reaction - hence why characters like Appleton, Holloway, Pemberton, Millen, Robins, Cooper etc aren't realistic. SL and co have many more seats to fill next summer, he will want a 'name' and I predict, if we stay up, more big bids for players this summer. We've got to find an extra few thousand people to fill AG and the board will be very mindful of that.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wouldn't match fans expectations, think it's not worth the uproar.

I'm not sure that fans' expectations are necessarily considered most of the time.

When we appointed Cotts he was the only one approached/interviewed. At the same time Sheff Wed appointed a new manager after considering 55 applications. 

At that time, my expectation as a fan was for the club to at least invite applications before letting the job fall into one person's lap with not much competition....

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm not sure that fans' expectations are necessarily considered most of the time.

When we appointed Cotts he was the only one approached/interviewed. At the same Sheff Wed appointed a new manager after considering 55 applications. 

At that time, my expectation as a fan was for the club to at least invite applications before letting the job fall into one person's lap with not much competition....

I think they will be this time. The board/fan relationship is strained this season. SL will want to make a statement to coincide with the new stand opening and a completed AG. He's got to fill the stadium 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think they will be this time. The board/fan relationship is strained this season. SL will want to make a statement to coincide with the new stand opening and a completed AG. He's got to fill the stadium 

I really hope you are right - i'd to see Pearson, Moyes, Davies and Warnock in an interview process - locking horns for the top job!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I really hope you are right - i'd to see Pearson, Moyes, Davies and Warnock in an interview process - locking horns for the top job!

The Pearson link is the most intriguing for me - think he'd be our best bet if the board let him do his job and are prepared to bring in some of his own staff. Reading between the lines of the gossip on here/twitter I'm reasonably sure we are interested in him.

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wouldn't match fans expectations, think it's not worth the uproar.

What difference would a fans uproar make?  Those in corporate "suits"  at City have complete disregard for the views of the faithful.

The Pearson link is the most intriguing for me - think he'd be our best bet if the board let him do his job and are prepared to bring in some of his own staff. Reading between the lines of the gossip on here/twitter I'm reasonably sure we are interested in him.

I think that is the key - whoever it is, let him do his job. Don't restrain him, don't impose unreasonable boundaries - just let a proven manager 'manage' the club, let him bring in proven coaches and people he can work with.

A lot to ask? Maybe, but the potential long term gains will more than pay back this initial bulky investment. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What difference would a fans uproar make?  Those in corporate "suits"  at City have complete disregard for the views of the faithful.

Debatable but I'm inclined to agree. There comes a point though where you have to think commercially, especially given our stage of 'evolution' to a more modern club with a larger stadium. Someone like Holloway for example would be dreadful pr, it's not worth the loss of attendees.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Someone like Holloway for example would be dreadful pr, it's not worth the loss of attendees.

Im not sure that the faithful would stop attendening just because they take umbridge over the appointment of a manager they don't like.

I'd continue to attend AG regardless of who is appointed as City manager - even if it was Holloway.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Im not sure that the faithful would stop attendening just because they take umbridge over the appointment of a manager they don't like.

I'd continue to attend AG regardless of who is appointed as City manager - even if it was Holloway.

Some would stay away, if Holloway was appointed that would cause a great deal of friction.

Do you want Ian Holloway as our manager? 

Some would stay away, if Holloway was appointed that would cause a great deal of friction.

Do you want Ian Holloway as our manager? 

No I wouldn't want him as City manager but not because of his long standing  association with the Gas but because I don't rate him much as a football manager.

There are far more suitable managers out there than Ian Holloway in my view.

That said if Holloway was appointed what would be the difference between him signing for City and various players that have played for both Bristol clubs? 

That's possibly true for around 10k of us who will go whatever.  However, the board have further consideration in that they need to attract another 10k supporters to attract to maximise the new capacity and revenue opportunities of the rebuilt AG.

If we are to move forward and progress, we to step up in terms of who manages/coaches our club and accept that our wage bill for players will need to rise

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

disagree, the only way we can compete is to redevelop that stadium and increase off pitch revenues, they ain't perfect but hardly as bad as some suggest

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think that is the key - whoever it is, let him do his job. Don't restrain him, don't impose unreasonable boundaries - just let a proven manager 'manage' the club, let him bring in proven coaches and people he can work with.

A lot to ask? Maybe, but the potential long term gains MAY more than pay back this initial bulky investment. 

Corrected slightly, if it was that simple every club would do it.

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Absolutely agree, but was heavily linked before DMac, I think? Just thought I'd mention it as we have a position to fill....

3 hours ago, extonsred said:

Why on earth should Robins even be in the frame astounds me!

I believe he is only in Woodsy's frame which, unless i am mistaken and with all due respect to him, thankfully counts for nout.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair to @Woodsy he's just throwing in another name that is contractually obliged to be mentioned on Otib every time there is a managerial vacancy. 

It's like Curbishley's "houses". It just has to be said, then we can all shake our heads and move on.

I think he actually likes the idea but i may have misread what he has said. :dunno:

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I believe he is only in Woodsy's frame which, unless i am mistaken and with all due respect to him, thankfully counts for nout.

I think he actually likes the idea but i may have misread what he has said. :dunno:

Just to be clear on this Havana - I think it's a ******* terrible idea, but SL has been quoted as being a fan of Robins when we have been in this situation before

Just putting it out there. Made a change from reading about Appleton

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Just to be clear on this Havana - I think it's a ******* terrible idea, but SL has been quoted as being a fan of Robins when we have been in this situation before

Just putting it out there. Made a change from reading about Appleton

'Aint that the truth. Glad you cleared that up for me Woodsy; for a moment there i was worried, for you, that maybe you had completely lost your marbles. :)

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

'Aint that the truth. Glad you cleared that up for me Woodsy; for a moment there i was worried, for you, that maybe you had completely lost your marbles. :)

That happened a long time ago, me old mucker. 29 years of watching City will do that to you!

14 minutes ago, hodge said:

Sacked for not doing well enough in the division below, hardly a sign of being able to cop in the division above.

Because a manager has been sacked at another club doesn't mean he wouldn't be successful here. Likewise a manager with a good track record doesn't guarantee him success here.

We need a manager who can work to the resources we can provide i.e. building a squad on a limited budget both transfer and wages, with an unfancied team. I'm not saying Robins should be considered nor at the other extreme should Moyes necessarily be seen as the answer. 

I have to say I'm glad I don't have to hire the new man. I just hope those that do give it thorough consideration.

6 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

That happened a long time ago, me old mucker. 29 years of watching City will do that to you!

Oh tis true indeed but not sufficiently to be espousing the, lost on most of us, virtues of the likes of Robins, Appleton, Tisdale, Monk, and whatever other bizarre options have been peddled out these past few fascinating days.

22 minutes ago, numbeast said:

Because a manager has been sacked at another club doesn't mean he wouldn't be successful here. Likewise a manager with a good track record doesn't guarantee him success here.

We need a manager who can work to the resources we can provide i.e. building a squad on a limited budget both transfer and wages, with an unfancied team. I'm not saying Robins should be considered nor at the other extreme should Moyes necessarily be seen as the answer. 

I have to say I'm glad I don't have to hire the new man. I just hope those that do give it thorough consideration.

The board created this situation themselves so no sympathy whatsoever for the task before them now..

They indeed had better give it due consideration and get it right, or risk the non renewal of thousands amongst the fanbase who were backing the manager and remain thoroughly pissed off by their actions.

Archived