IGNORED

"It could take weeks rather than days" - Sky

Kid in the Riot

Everyone still convinced we have someone lined up?

Bristol City have had "significant interest" in their vacant manager's job with at least 30 applications for the position, according to Sky sources.

The Robins are searching for a new boss following the departure of Steve Cotterill last week after two years in charge at Ashton Gate.

The Sky Bet Championship club plan to take their time with the decision and it could take weeks rather than days to appoint Cotterill's successor.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11726/10135171/bristol-city-have-had-significant-interest-in-managers-job-sky-sources

Doesn't fill me with joy, but a win over Boro has bought some time, I guess

Pretty much any other time of year I'd agree, take your time, but in the middle of a transfer window.....ridiculous. Makes me think something happened with SC for the bullet to come without anyone being lined up.....

If I remember rightly last time around we said we'd take time and SC was appointed very swiftly after that statement, which of itself caused uproar. Plus a full search for managers was promised and it transpired only SC was interviewed.

I would imagine it's tempering expectations in case we do need a wider search/ can't do a deal with preferred candidate.

Remember, no one lined up for transfers whilst O'Donnell and Garita were in the pipeline, and 2 more if SC stayed if some quarters are to be believed. I take most statements from the club with a pinch of salt and there's separate agendas at play. Perhaps now is a good time after the Boro win to temper the fans if the worst case arose, for instance.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Everyone still convinced we have someone lined up?

Surely of those 30 not all will be viable so chuck Robins, Tisdale, Clarke, Holloway in the bin straight away. Unless someon chucks their hat in the provberbial ring that we hadn't anticipated it shouldn't distract us from where we were anyway? 

Which also means a free hand for them to sign whoever MA or KB thinks we need. Not sure how a new man would feel about having no chance to recruit his own players though. If the plan is to just have a coach and others decide the recruits then I guess it doesn't matter. However can't see Pearson or Moyes fitting that so this sounds like bad news on that front to me.

As long as the use the time to choose someone who will unite all the City community 

We've had this before, Colin Sexton telling us there had been an outstanding field of candidates and then "the Board" i.e. SL choosing someone who was distinctly unoutstanding. Let's get someone who isn't associated with City or the West Country. Get out of the comfort zone and get someone PROPERLY QUALIFIED who can make BCFC a truly serious contender for the promised land.

Only one bloke in it for me.

There is one 

Can't see this.

Yes, 30 might apply but realistically the process to get that number down to those you interview (no more than 5) shouldn't take long at all.

Due diligence needs to be done then but that could be in conjunction with the interview process.

No reason at all why someone shouldn't be in post by Saturday.

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Surely of those 30 not all will be viable so chuck Robins, Tisdale, Clarke, Holloway in the bin straight away. Unless someon chucks their hat in the provberbial ring that we hadn't anticipated it shouldn't distract us from where we were anyway? 

Put Holloway's down the bog dump on it and flush. Not worthy of the bin

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I think Colin will be in help Pembo until the end of the season.

I'd take that for now.  Our only goal is to stay up, I think Warnock could do it.  He isn't going to want it full time, so lets take our time and push the boat out for the guy we want.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Can't see this.

Yes, 30 might apply but realistically the process to get that number down to those you interview (no more than 5) shouldn't take long at all.

Due diligence needs to be done then but that could be in conjunction with the interview process.

No reason at all why someone shouldn't be in post by Saturday.

You're not suggesting anyone was 'lined up' then?

It took 5 days between SOD getting the boot and SC being appointed. Just 2 days from memory between McInnes getting sacked and SOD appointed.

So, I guess we'll find out pretty soon. If no-one is in post by the Leeds game then safe to assume no-one was 'lined up' and SC's sacking was on impulse.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It took 5 days between SOD getting the boot and SC being appointed. Just 2 days from memory between McInnes getting sacked and SOD appointed.

So, I guess we'll find out pretty soon. If no-one is in post by the Leeds game then safe to assume no-one was 'lined up' and SC's sacking was on impulse.

I'm pretty sure discreet " sounding out " of potential candidates has been taking place for a while now .

Apparently , some on the board wanted a change of manager in November , it's not a huge surprise to the footballing world that Cotts has gone . 

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But the point is between SOD and SC we were promised a wide search for managers, warned it would take time etc. It didn't.  I wouldn't take this statement at face value at all.

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Impulse or specific incident, in big business the board always have their new boss lined up, the minute M & S realised their christmas figures were not going to match expectations, I bet they sounded out the exact man that they wanted to take over, it's a cut throat world out there and most football clubs have learned that.

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

But the point is between SOD and SC we were promised a wide search for managers, warned it would take time etc. It didn't.  I wouldn't take this statement at face value at all.

But the club haven't made a statement saying it'll take weeks so far as I can tell? This is just an opinion of Sky based on what we presume to be a discussion with a source at the club, or close to it.

I'm sure Twentyman will ask Ashton this evening how long he expects it to take.

Everything about the timing of SC's dismissal pointed to someone being lined up. If no-one is in post by Saturday maybe we can assume a knockback?

Archived