IGNORED

"It could take weeks rather than days" - Sky

Kid in the Riot

5 minutes ago, HLR said:

Clip on twitter of Ashton stating Appleton isn't coming here, "not on his agenda at this moment in time" the exact wording used. Think that definitely rules him out

Not 'on his agenda at the moment'

if that's the words he used he's more of a c**k than I thought he was

' Agenda ' ?????????????????

weve also got an 'agenda'

We don't *********** want you here...... Tosspot

WTF

im chuffed - but what is football coming to  

Wiil our new manager be quoting 'blue sky thinking ' and suchlike B*******x  in his opening address !!!!

51 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Part of the reason was that Cotterill wasn't utilising the academy as much as the board would have wanted. Leaving an empty place on the bench during away games was not well received. Simply taking a young player to fill the place - even with no intention of using him- would have been applauded.

I agree! 

It must have pissed a few people off. We have spent millions on a cat2 academy and not putting one of them on the bench seemed churlish. It seemed (for what ever reason) SC was trying to make a point to the board and SL which appeared to be I don't have what I need and it is your fault. 

Keeping Wilbo on for so long seemed insane and having loaners in the U21s was odd. The loaned players were off as soon as possible and the Sack Cloth affair was the last straw

if I were to bet on what happened I would suggest that a falling out of sorts between SC and the board (and SL) occurred. I have read over transfers and would guess that's the most likely scenario, however SC was making some odd decisions. If he had lost the plot I would suggest those decisions would have been more erratic but they were not, it seemed he was intent on flogging the same dead horse with style (formations) and starters. 

Ok it can be argued that there was not to many options, but I would suggest there were, slightly limited, but there. Either way one win helps but we will see to what extent we can pull away from the bottom, but as the man says, the definition of madness is doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result and this does have resonance here!

either way SC gave us a fantastic season and created a brilliant base to push on and for that I will always be grateful 

7 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Isn't 30 quite low? I recall in the past us and other clubs saying something like 80/90 applicants have wanted the job.

As I understand it was only open to existing Bristol Sport Members 

Initially the offer to season ticket holders only yielded one application 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, as a matter of fact it has certainly done us no harm so far.

One win, not exactly time to get carried away. As I said in another thread, we were one set piece off beating a Premier League outfit last week. We beat Boro away with SC.

It's just a distraction from the fact that yet again we're not signing players.

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

That's the biggest load of spin going.  Doesn't mean it won't be on his agenda tonight or tomorrow morning......

Yep totally agree, just trying to be positive! :/ Sure somebody said on another thread that Watford fans thought he was a spin doctor of the highest order, so on second thoughts, lets not read too much into his comments!

17 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Any idea who posted it? Would like to hear that for myself!

twitter name is @wingcommander56 - tv presenter, journo etc etc.

15 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

One win, not exactly time to get carried away. As I said in another thread, we were one set piece off beating a Premier League outfit last week. We beat Boro away with SC.

It's just a distraction from the fact that yet again we're not signing players.

Well the rumour is we are to sign a player this afternoon.

We did beat a weakened Boro side back in August, you are correct. One of four wins in 28 matches. Let's see how PemboWade do before making sweeping statements that it was definitely a poor time to sack SC. It may turn out to be a good decision if we survive as there's only one way were we headed under SC.

7 minutes ago, HLR said:

Yep totally agree, just trying to be positive! :/ Sure somebody said on another thread that Watford fans thought he was a spin doctor of the highest order, so on second thoughts, lets not read too much into his comments!

twitter name is @wingcommander56 - tv presenter, journo etc etc.

Watched it, thanks mate!

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Assuming they interpret Premier League ambition as most of us would then the realistic options are Pearson and Monk maybe? If neither can commit 100% now then that would explain the delay. In such circumstances my money would certainly be on Pembowade until the end of the season. Then, assuming C'ship status a much better time to assess options in the summer.

Ooooh - a new portmanteau - I like it! 

Pembowade does sound a bit like an isotonic sports drink though. How about Waderton (sharing the "e" but sounds like a small town in Devon) or Pembelliott (a common surname in Kernow, praps?)

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We did beat a weakened Boro side back in August, you are correct. One of four wins in 28 matches. Let's see how PemboWade do before making sweeping statements that it was definitely a poor time to sack SC. It may turn out to be a good decision if we survive as there's only one way were we headed under SC.

As much as it may irk some we did have replacements lined up. Pemberton and Elliot. Not what even I was expecting but certainly the best placed people from the view of continuity. Let's see what they can do, hopefully enough to pick up points to keep us competitive. No manager has a divine right to win, so the best possible start, beating top of the league who hadn't lost in nine, has been made by Pemberton and Elliot

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was a poor time to sack any manager, in the middle of a transfer window. I don't see how you can question that? Unless there was a replacement ready to come in within days. If it was at the start of the month, fair enough (although I'd have still disagreed with the decision), at least the manager would still have time to bring in his own signings.

There wasn't only one way we were heading under SC, if he had been able to bring in his signings, we'd have been fine. The board let him down. That's just coming from someone who didn't like SC. I also don't see how the Boro team in August was weakened??

Sorry, I'm just not getting carried away with one win when bigger issues are still at large.

31 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

It was a poor time to sack any manager, in the middle of a transfer window. I don't see how you can question that? Unless there was a replacement ready to come in within days. If it was at the start of the month, fair enough (although I'd have still disagreed with the decision), at least the manager would still have time to bring in his own signings.

There wasn't only one way we were heading under SC, if he had been able to bring in his signings, we'd have been fine. The board let him down. That's just coming from someone who didn't like SC. I also don't see how the Boro team in August was weakened??

Sorry, I'm just not getting carried away with one win when bigger issues are still at large.

Excellent post Jordan

34 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Oh I agree it wasn't an ideal time to sack him, but I'm glad they finally did it. The board let him down? Quite possibly. But he also let himself down and that's why he's out of a job.

I think your view that a club can't sign players whilst it doesn't have a permanent manager in situ is misguided - it can and indeed it's not uncommon.

Life will go on after Cotterill, Jordan.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Oh I agree it wasn't an ideal time to sack him, but I'm glad they finally did it. The board let him down? Quite possibly. But he also let himself down and that's why he's out of a job.

I think your view that a club can't sign players whilst it doesn't have a permanent manager in situ is misguided - it can and indeed it's not uncommon.

Let's hope so. Like I always said under SC and now it's the same without him, we're not far off. Just in need of a few quality additions. If the board could actually finally try and amend that issue, it would be much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Assume this is coming from his interview for tonight's Radio Bristol - should be interesting 

Anyone fancy a game of Corporate B******T Bingo ??

;)

We ran MA up the flag post, but no one saluted
We're going to take a bath on MA

I will be seriously disappointed if they are in there

The "Weeks" comment does concern me tbh. Any manager worth his salt (the type we are looking for) will want to bring his own signings to the club in an attempt to get us out the bottom 3.

I know there is this talk going around about Pembo being given the go ahead to bring players in, however I'm sure those players are prob players that Cotts had already had conversations about with to Pembo or Burt.

So back to my original point, what a shambles our board is in, and the way our club is being run, if they do take there time over the appointment at such a crucial time in the season. And if it turns out they don't make a appointment in time for the new manager to have a chance in the transfer window, I for 1 would be believing the board let Cotts down theory.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I love the way that stubbornness and ego is being used as if it's something that is peculiar to SC, it's the reason a vast majority of managers are sacked, look no further than Jose and there is more than good argument to suggest that is what will get our future ex manager sacked in probably 2 years time, SC is no different to virtually any manager in this regard.

You are right it is not uncommon to sign players in a window and then appoint a new man, but it puts extra pressure on the new man to work with players that he might not want, players that aware of our position are going extract a higher wage and longer contract, any of that sound familiar?.

22 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I love the way that stubbornness and ego is being used as if it's something that is peculiar to SC, it's the reason a vast majority of managers are sacked, look no further than Jose and there is more than good argument to suggest that is what will get our future ex manager sacked in probably 2 years time, SC is no different to virtually any manager in this regard.

You are right it is not uncommon to sign players in a window and then appoint a new man, but it puts extra pressure on the new man to work with players that he might not want, players that aware of our position are going extract a higher wage and longer contract, any of that sound familiar?.

I'm under no illusions as to the difficult situation we find ourselves in, which is why the more you think about it giving Pembelliott the reins may just make the most sense under the regrettable circumstances we find ourselves in...results dependent of course.

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm under no illusions as to the difficult situation we find ourselves in, which is why the more you think about it giving Pembelliott the reins may just make the most sense under the regrettable circumstances we find ourselves in...results dependent of course.

Agree to disagree here, I know nothing is guaranteed in football but I don't think that we have time farting around with something that at BCFC has been an unmitigated disaster in the past promoting from within and regretting 12 months later, it very rarely lasts longer than 12 months, that is my opinion.

As I put in reply to another of your posts, I don't agree with your assessment that managers like Pearson might be put off by our position, the championship is running out of viable alternatives, wth a fully functioning redeveloped stadium our spending ability will increase, whilst many are going to have to seriously tighten their belts like Wolves since the parachute payments dried up, in some cases it's the only thing keeping some clubs from going into administration.

Who would want to work for Tan at Cardiff, Tigerman at Hull, the Indian KFC man at Blackburn, QPR where they are fast approaching more players than fans, Florest with the nutbars in charge of that club living hand to mouth like Birmingham, what can you say about Leeds and not forgetting Charlton and other clubs who hopefully soon won't be able to match our budget, as I say viable clubs in the championship are becoming less and less IMO.

I nearly forgot Bolton and I wouldn't mind a few quid saying all is not so rosy at PNE financially.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Agree to disagree here, I know nothing is guaranteed in football but I don't think that we have time farting around with something that at BCFC has been an unmitigated disaster in the past promoting from within and regretting 12 months later, it very rarely lasts longer than 12 months, that is my opinion.

As I put in reply to another of your posts, I don't agree with your assessment that managers like Pearson might be put off by our position, the championship is running out of viable alternatives, wth a fully functioning redeveloped stadium our spending ability will increase, whilst many are going to have to seriously tighten their belts like Wolves since the parachute payments dried up, in some cases it's the only thing keeping some clubs from going into administration.

Who would want to work for Tan at Cardiff, Tigerman at Hull, the Indian KFC man at Blackburn, QPR where they are fast approaching more players than fans, Florest with the nutbars in charge of that club living hand to mouth like Birmingham, what can you say about Leeds and not forgetting Charlton and other clubs who hopefully soon won't be able to match our budget, as I say viable clubs in the championship are becoming less and less IMO.

I nearly forgot Bolton and I wouldn't mind a few quid saying all is not so rosy at PNE financially.

Good Post.

I cant see why we couldn't attract a decent manager. Budget allowing of course :)

2 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Of the 30 applications received, one is Pemberton, one is Trevor from the Dog and Duck, 27 are OTIB members with a decent record on Fifa 16, and the other is mine.

As the chain has come off my bike, I can't get down the gate for my interview for at least a week so don't expect an imminent announcement. 

Saying that, do they do the CRB check before or after your interview?

:sunwon:    I don't like the ungentlemanly way you treat the other candidates . Other than that if it were down to me ...

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The highlighted bit is fine - I would only be advocating Pembelliott until the end of the season. The summer we 100% need a top manager to match our quality, new facilities. There will inevitably be much better options and more options come May.

Agreed, we are still attractive to prospective managers though I still think we lack that tradition and heritage that many other clubs at this level have and it is also proven time and time again that top managers will go to basket case clubs. You mention Blackburn, well they had no problems attracting Lambert it seems - widely regarded as a very good appointment at this level though perhaps not too surprisingly finding things tough.

In footballing terms I'm still not convinced we are that big a draw for managers - we managed to convince nutjob Coppell but other than that we've not got a manager on board that everyone has gone "wow". I think we are in agreement that the time is approaching for that box office kind of manager to be appointed - but given current options I am willing to wait until the sumemr if necessary.

Archived