IGNORED

Frederico Machaeda, Keemar Roofe, Peter Whittingh and John Lundstram,Alex Pearce,

Fordy62

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

What is Norm doing these days? Imagine if he was in the management circus; he would be in the hotseat by now.

He was a manager (Barnsley, Rotherham, Leeds caretaker) for 7 or 8 years after retiring.

Not since 1988 though, and he's 72 now.

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

You forgot the aircraft carrier launch system Norm needed to get running as well! But he knew how to head the ball and where to be to head. 

Interestingly, in his autobiography there is a chapter on how he came to play for us. He was only on just over a hundred pounds a week. Leeds refused to pay him more, but we offered around 120 pw. In today's money we're talking about 1500 pw! Norman, after his first training session with us, asked where he should leave his training kit for washing. He then realised that just because Leeds washed their kits, his now had to be washed at home! 

On learning of City's laundry arrangements, Hunter went straight to Alan Dicks for a "quiet" word. Sure enough, by the following week City had installed washing machines for the players to use.

As told to me by Sir Tom Ritchie not long ago.

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good ole Norm. A legend in our lifetime.... Well not far off.

I once read an autobiography of the old football referee Gordon Hill - the guy from Bolton with the moustache who, despite that, looked like Spock. He said that he was refereeing a match at Loftus Road between QPR and Leeds when Norman clattered, I think, Stan Bowles - launching him into the enclosure terracing. Hill said that Norman walked straight up to him and said: "Norman Hunter, number 6" and ran off to take up his defensive position for the resulting free kick! Hill said that he'd intended to caution Hunter anyway, but Norman gave him no alternative!

Sir Tom Ritchie

...I still can't understand why the ref never gave a penalty in the dying moments of our FA cup match at Notts County. They were in old first division and we were bottom-ish of the fourth. Tom wriggled his way to the penalty box with the ball....the goal opened up....all the defenders were out of position...Tom had to score! He would've as well had it not been for a sything Norman Hunteresque tackle that missed the ball but brought Tom clattering to the brown, muddy surface. It was right in front of me. The ref ignored the appeals from the City faithful and players. If you ever see Tom again, please ask him about the penalty that got away.

We lost the home replay.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This ' Bristol ' nonsense should stop .

We are Bristol and equally Bristol City .

In the past the chant of Brrrriiisstol would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end .

No One ever said to the massed throngs , 'steady on we are City , not Bristol .'

There' s only one team in Bristol , don't be so precious people .

Spot on, was a no nonsense good chant, especially away from home, about time we bought it back :yes:

Archived