IGNORED

Frederico Machaeda, Keemar Roofe, Peter Whittingh and John Lundstram,Alex Pearce,

Fordy62

51 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Maybe there is confusion over him and Guy Pearce... or is it that other Pearce bloke who, according to someone on here, was the player manager for England a while back?

Good in LA confidential and memento, OK in Iron man but forms been a bit patchy lately.

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Didn't he throw one up 'Plain Jane Super-Brain'?

I think he may well have done (although it was never proved that Brad the mechanic banged one out in the corner of the room whilst watching them at "it") 

Wasn't she also Mrs Mangle's (sp?) grand-daughter? The apple fell quite a way from the tree there then. 

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I think he may well have done (although it was never proved that Brad the mechanic banged one out in the corner of the room whilst watching them at "it") 

Wasn't she also Mrs Mangle's (sp?) grand-daughter? The apple fell quite a way from the tree there then. 

You're not wrong. Mrs M was a right GILF.

17 minutes ago, Redtone said:

Funnily enough (?) I was talking to a Cardiff ST holder about Macheda and our interest and we were talking about their strikers.  I said that I though Alex Revell would be interesting as a replacement for Wilbs.  Good touch target man imho.  But didn't realise he was 32, assumed he was 26/27.  Thought Rotherham was where he came to prominence but forgot about him being at BHA a good while before that.  Shame.

I'd take Whittingham....would be our Wade imho.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Funnily enough (?) I was talking to a Cardiff ST holder about Macheda and our interest and we were talking about their strikers.  I said that I though Alex Revell would be interesting as a replacement for Wilbs.  Good touch target man imho.  But didn't realise he was 32, assumed he was 26/27.  Thought Rotherham was where he came to prominence but forgot about him being at BHA a good while before that.  Shame.

I'd take Whittingham....would be our Wade imho.

One of my work colleagues is Peter Whittinghhams biggest fan, always raving about him. When I mentioned that we might be interested in him he says that it might be time for him to move on.

However he did comment that he might struggle now due to his lack of pace, and said he looks more like a 34/35 year old not 31. He said he was never the quickest player but it's becoming more noticeable especially as he is not making up for it in his free kick goals etc. 

I would be very surprised if we managed to get Whittingham out of Cardiff, however if we did I think it would be a masterstroke and probably the signing of the season (depending on how much we would have to fork out). I have said previously that I think our biggest priority this season was to replace Wade with another experienced creative midfielder and he would fit that bracket very nicely. Fingers crossed from me, but I can't see it happening.

The Cardiff fans would not be happy!

35 minutes ago, Redtone said:

One of my work colleagues is Peter Whittinghhams biggest fan, always raving about him. When I mentioned that we might be interested in him he says that it might be time for him to move on.

However he did comment that he might struggle now due to his lack of pace, and said he looks more like a 34/35 year old not 31. He said he was never the quickest player but it's becoming more noticeable especially as he is not making up for it in his free kick goals etc. 

Can't be any slower at 31 than Wade was at 35/36.

29 minutes ago, Redtone said:

One of my work colleagues is Peter Whittinghhams biggest fan....

Mind you, Sir Bobby Moore wouldn't have won a hundred yard sprint race even if he'd been given a fifty yard head start. Almost the same for Sir Norman of Hunter who would've needed a seventy yard start and even then, he might not have won the race! But....you'd have both in the team!

Hopefully, Whittingham's footballing brain and skills are of the Sir Bobby/Norman variety and not the countless of other players we could mention who were slow and not very good at anything!

You forgot the aircraft carrier launch system Norm needed to get running as well! But he knew how to head the ball and where to be to head. 

Interestingly, in his autobiography there is a chapter on how he came to play for us. He was only on just over a hundred pounds a week. Leeds refused to pay him more, but we offered around 120 pw. In today's money we're talking about 1500 pw! Norman, after his first training session with us, asked where he should leave his training kit for washing. He then realised that just because Leeds washed their kits, his now had to be washed at home! 

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

You forgot the aircraft carrier launch system Norm needed to get running as well! But he knew how to head the ball and where to be to head. 

Interestingly, in his autobiography there is a chapter on how he came to play for us. He was only on just over a hundred pounds a week. Leeds refused to pay him more, but we offered around 120 pw. In today's money we're talking about 1500 pw! Norman, after his first training session with us, asked where he should leave his training kit for washing. He then realised that just because Leeds washed their kits, his now had to be washed at home! 

Think the actual figure was £240 a week, which he thought was a fortune, though as you say, we expected him to wash his own training kit.

Definitely a completely different world from today..

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

i have a vision,hopefully it was a memory. of his boot flying off behind the ball while scoring.

players just wouldnt be allowed to tackle the way he did these days, i used to feel for the opposition sometimes after his crunching tackles. 

At the Gate against Everton - Open End ?

George Wood in Goal I think

Edit

@GrahamC is about and will remember :) 

I went through a spell as a centre back and while watching City v Liverpool decided not to watch our corner at the covered end but to watch what Norman Hunter did. He was on the half way line and he suddenly kicked Kenny Dalglish, and I mean kicked. Dalglish quickly distanced himself from Hunter and rarely went near him, unless he couldn't help it, for the remainder of the game. The officials were obviously focused on the corner kick and were oblivious to it.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

i have a vision,hopefully it was a memory. of his boot flying off behind the ball while scoring.

players just wouldnt be allowed to tackle the way he did these days, i used to feel for the opposition sometimes after his crunching tackles. 

Was the boot coming off against Newcastle? He was taking a free kick at The East End? Memory a bit fuzzy though so I could be wrong!

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Was the boot coming off against Newcastle? He was taking a free kick at The East End? Memory a bit fuzzy though so I could be wrong!

That what I was about to post, that's the one I remember with Mick Mahoney (ex City)  in goal for them...

On 18 January 2016 at 14:21, Snufflelufagus said:

I'll save the bother with Whittingham. Would imagine wages too high!

A poster on here whose 'opinion' is usually spot on,said he was due for a medical at AG last week, but it didn't happen because SC was sacked. If this info was correct ( I've no reason to disbelieve) then I guess that wages aren't an issue.

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Thank you for confirming the fact that we were one of the top payers when we were in Division 1 .

i mentionned it in another post and was not believed by some who questioned my integrity .

Basically to bring in Division 1 players , even then , we needed to offer more than other clubs to get them in and also to keep our own players  happy who were chased by more established clubs .

The only difference to day Is that we can't compete with wages offered so we need to do things differently.

18 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

A poster on here whose 'opinion' is usually spot on,said he was due for a medical at AG last week, but it didn't happen because SC was sacked. If this info was correct ( I've no reason to disbelieve) then I guess that wages aren't an issue.

Not exactly true , he is having his medical but has n't finished the hundred meters time trial that he started Wednesday .

it's fair to say that he's lost a bit of   pace ...

perhaps .

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The one at the start of this clip? Funny how Malone calls us 'Bristol' too!!

This ' Bristol ' nonsense should stop .

We are Bristol and equally Bristol City .

In the past the chant of Brrrriiisstol would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end .

No One ever said to the massed throngs , 'steady on we are City , not Bristol .'

There' s only one team in Bristol , don't be so precious people .

Archived