IGNORED

It's Not Appleton

BRISTOL86

What Ashton says in his interview, is that MA is not on the agenda at this moment in time, but he clearly goes on to say "  you can never say never, and Michael and I may well work together again in the future"

I just see it now, let Pembo stay in charge till the summer get us relegated and then bring in MA at his level.

For me if the board are not prepared to make the big ish name appointment that we prob need to save us, let alone this talk of premier league, then we should of stayed with Cotts if he is not going to be replaced properly.

25 minutes ago, Super said:

As Dopey Darrell says................. HAPPY DAYS!

4 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Phew... Dodged a bullet there thank christ!

So come on then you geniuses, how can you categorically say that we have 'dodged a bullet' by not hiring Appleton?  For all we know he will go on to be a successful manager at a higher level.  You can't always judge someone on past failures and their current positions.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Collis1 said:

So come on then you geniuses, how can you categorically say that we have 'dodged a bullet' by not hiring Appleton?  For all we know he will go on to be a successful manager at a higher level.  You can't always judge someone on past failures and their current positions.

Very true, but it's easier to base theories on things that have happened against things that may never happen

5 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Appreciate the sentiment, many just feel (myself included) that past experience at this level (as opposed to potential) is what's neeeed in our current predicament. 

6 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

No one has a crystal ball. However, we need a manager with experience at this level or higher. It really isn't the time to go experimental with someone who looks like a good coach but hasn't managed at this level. He is a coach of a league 2 side, I think that is dodging a bullet by not getting him in.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It must be Appleton 'cos @Scrumpty posted on Saturday that it was definitely going to be him - or does that just prove that no-one really knows anything and we are filling up huge threads with wild speculation....?!

Fun though innit?!!

I got my info whilst in the Landsdown Suite Saturday. I was told Ashton was joining (which made sense, as I bumped into him on the way in) and Appleton was coming with him. I assumed this to be true, as the first bit of info was obviously correct.

So to answer your mail, it seems that I really didn't know anything after all. Sorry!

ps. I can confirm that, unless heavily disguised, no potential managers were residing in the Lansdown suite and, to the best of my knowledge, they weren't in with the directors next door.

1 hour ago, Scrumpty said:

I got my info whilst in the Landsdown Suite Saturday. I was told Ashton was joining (which made sense, as I bumped into him on the way in) and Appleton was coming with him. I assumed this to be true, as the first bit of info was obviously correct.

So to answer your mail, it seems that I really didn't know anything after all. Sorry!

ps. I can confirm that, unless heavily disguised, no potential managers were residing in the Lansdown suite and, to the best of my knowledge, they weren't in with the directors next door.

My mail? I didn't send you an email?! Anyway, I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just highlighting the extent and variety of the speculation on here! No one really knows who is going in as the new manager and there's lots of people reporting snippets that they've picked up, I just used yours as an example.

Personally I love the times like this, everyone desperate for some news that even personalised number plates are topics for discussion!

It's brill and at least it has deflected people away from slagging off Marlon Pack for a few days! 

PS - for what it's worth, I think MP is having a good season and he's adapting well to the higher level as the season progresses...

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

My mail? I didn't send you an email?! Anyway, I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just highlighting the extent and variety of the speculation on here! No one really knows who is going in as the new manager and there's lots of people reporting snippets that they've picked up, I just used yours as an example.

Personally I love the times like this, everyone desperate for some news that even personalised number plates are topics for discussion!

It's brill and at least it has deflected people away from slagging off Marlon Pack for a few days! 

PS - for what it's worth, I think MP is having a good season and he's adapting well to the higher level as the season progresses...

Agreed. And if the rumours re new signings are true, it also shows that we overplay the importance of having a high profile manager. If we pay the right money, players will sign - regardless of who is (or isn't in our case) managing the team.

4 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Does anyone think that threads like this on here are read by the club and impacts their decision?

Reason I ask is that they have come out and denied the link with Appleton, yet there has been a number of managers linked which have not got a mention. Why did they feel the need to squash the Appleton rumour?

Perhaps because Alistair Durden asked him directly if Appleton was in the running.  It's unlikely that Ashton is going to make that statement uninitiated.

I just wonder if the Appleton story started  because someone misheard /misunderstood that former Oxford Utd Chief was joining Bristol City and thought Michael Appleton instead of Mark Ashton.

Archived