IGNORED

Disloyal

leylandsroad

Is it just me or does anyone else think pemberton should be going as well if cotts had to go? I was a semi pro manager and having a loyal assistant is one of the main aims. I honestly can't believe he is even considering he would take the job, if he applied for a league 2 job he wouldn't even get an interview. I feel monk at Swansea would be a perfect fit, great coach and wouldn't need the hassle of doing the buying and selling. You lot are in dreamland if you honestly think moyes or Pearson would operate under those terms. 

I see your point but I think that's kind've harsh, especially if SC had backed himself in to a corner which does seem likely. 

I suppose there's also a point in that JP should be loyal to the club not the manager; not dissimilar to Millen at Palace who's survived a few gaffers now and is integral to that club. 

Pemberton is employed by Bristol City and was SOD's assistant, before SC was appointed, I see no problem with him staying as interim manager or as a number 2 to a new manager, his team selection for the two games has already shown that he has different opinions to SC.

1 minute ago, COACH2 said:

Pemberton is employed by Bristol City and was SOD's assistant, before SC was appointed, I see no problem with him staying as interim manager or as a number 2 to a new manager, his team selection for the two games has already shown that he has different opinions to SC.

Comes across as a decent man must have been hard for him this season to work under cotts.

The only thing that worries me is that. When things were truly going tits up he didn't have the clout to make cotts change things

So do you think regardless if he's a good man he has what it takes?

4 minutes ago, leylandsroad said:

IT also shows he had no influence on cotterill as he changed the formation as soon as cotts left. I agree he could have stayed as a number 2 until he stated he was the job. What about Carl robinson? He'd be excellent

I'd say changing formation was a no lose situation. If it went wrong he wouldn't have been blamed by fans, many called for it and if it comes off many now give him plaudits. Arguably he'd have been silly not to. 

In respect of answering the question I think it's fine to have his own ambitions and he shouldn't shy away or be ashamed of them. If he wants it - long shot I agree, but looking shorter - good on him for not shying away. Going back to Millen he said he wanted the job here as we appointed Coppell but he graciously reverted to number 2 when Coppell got the gig. 

From the numerous stories I have been told, Cotts and Pembo didn't see eye to eye at all. The fact Pembo and completely adapted our formation instantly and his comment about the formation tell you that he totally didn't agree with Cotts. 

I for one like Pembo and hope it goes well for him, he looks ready for a scrap and certainly is very honest 

19 minutes ago, leylandsroad said:

IT also shows he had no influence on cotterill as he changed the formation as soon as cotts left. I agree he could have stayed as a number 2 until he stated he was the job. What about Carl robinson? He'd be excellent

What makes you say Carl Robinson would be excellent?  He has done an average job in America so I would like to know what you are basing your opinion on.

Can't see a lot of difference between how monk got the Swansea job & what pembo is doing now.Monk not for me inherited a good Swansea side & didn't cut the mustard.Also no real management experience to speak of.

I don't think anyone but SL has a  clue what's going on manager wise. Wishful thinking would be we've got someone in place & the delay is down too appointing  his assistants,especially if they're employed at the moment. Compo & notice being sorted out.The bristol city soap opera drags on.

I'm not itk but I dont think Cotts and Pembo were particularly close.

having sat closely behind the bench for many games last season, I was always surprised his little they interacted. JP sat the opposite end of the dug out where Cotts would stand, maybe once or twice in a match JP would say something to SC, which from where I was sat looked like SC usually ignored or just shouted angrily back at him.

Very different to other managers you see constantly chatting to assistants during matches. I get the feeling Pemberton was making a statement on Saturday with selection and formation, ideas he'd wanted to try for some time.

I don't get 'Monk didn't cut the mustard' at Swansea type comments.  I accept he's lost his job for poor run of results this season, but up til then he'd proved himself of being very capable.  Swansea aren't a top 8 side are they?

A big part of Swansea's decline was selling Bony to Man City....and whatever happened to Michu.  Gomis is a poor man's Bony.  Goals dried up, the return of  Sigurdsson didn't produce the same goals / assist as his pre-Spurs spell.  I accept he inherited a decent team.

Yes, you can therefore lay the blame that he hasn't replaced Bony well.  But replacing a player like that is bloody hard.

I think he did alright, and might fit Bristol City.  I think there are other options but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on our shortlist.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don't get 'Monk didn't cut the mustard' at Swansea type comments.  I accept he's lost his job for poor run of results this season, but up til then he'd proved himself of being very capable.  Swansea aren't a top 8 side are they?

A big part of Swansea's decline was selling Bony to Man City....and whatever happened to Michu.  Gomis is a poor man's Bony.  Goals dried up, the return of  Sigurdsson didn't produce the same goals / assist as his pre-Spurs spell.  I accept he inherited a decent team.

Yes, you can therefore lay the blame that he hasn't replaced Bony well.  But replacing a player like that is bloody hard.

I think he did alright, and might fit Bristol City.  I think there are other options but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on our shortlist.

Not for me personaly but wouldnt rule him out.He fits the bill for boards outlined requirement.Get feelIng SL playing the manager cards close to his chest at the mo.

I agree that Pemberton has made it clear how he was feeling about the Cotts regime by A. changing the formation and B. Using players that had been ignored and bringing academy products into the setup.

As others have said he is not Cotts man, he was part of the idea that we could have a coaching set up that would endure no matter who was "Head Coach"/ Manager, therefore I see no reason for him to leave.

How many more threads will we get trying to knock the guy before he's given a chance? I'm finding the stuff on here utterly pathetic, a guy takes over, we beat Boro, rest key players and lose closely against WBA, but they have to find petty reasons why we must appoint somebody else. If it all goes wrong, we can still change, but why rush and appoint the wrong man? Apart from continuity, 2 decent performances, good shape, players committed.., what have JP and WE achieved?

Disagree

Pemberton clearly has his own ideas, I am sure he has put them across to Cotts, for them to be ignored by the stubborn one.  Cotts fell on his own sword for petulance and stubbornness, not sure Pemberton should have to go for another mans mistakes,  on the face of it looks like Pemberton is more than willing to mix formations and bring youth into the first team fold.  

Its like chalk and cheese.

Disagree. In fact the reverse is more likely - Cotts being so pig headed could easily have cost Pembo his job. Where was Cotts loyalty to his No.2? And if you say he was not Cotts No.2 and only had the job because he was there already then even less reason for Pembo to be called disloyal.

End of the day - Cotts got himself sacked. There was no other option.

None of us know what the relationship between SC and Pemberton was. For all we know it could have been poisonous or that Pemberton simply showed loyalty to SC 

The relationship between a no 1 and a no 2 is often a difficult one, think Blair and Brown, but it does not follow a single path

I think Pemberton has started well and if he continues in that vein I see no reason on earth not to give him the job full time

On 21 January 2016 at 22:28, leylandsroad said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think pemberton should be going as well if cotts had to go? I was a semi pro manager and having a loyal assistant is one of the main aims. I honestly can't believe he is even considering he would take the job, if he applied for a league 2 job he wouldn't even get an interview. I feel monk at Swansea would be a perfect fit, great coach and wouldn't need the hassle of doing the buying and selling. You lot are in dreamland if you honestly think moyes or Pearson would operate under those terms. 

Zzzzzzzzzzz.    YAWN

I find this topic wholly ridiculous. Pemberton is employed by the club and any responsibility or loyalty he should have is to the club. The idea that an employee owes some sort of loyalty to another slightly more senior employee, even if it goes against the interests of the employer, other employees  or customers, is the kind of attitude that tolerates poor performance, promotes failure and - at its worst - leads to serious errors and mistakes being covered up. What absolute nonsense.

Archived