IGNORED

Has Marvin Elliott retired?

BCFC Jordan

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don't you think LB that this was because the manager at the time got the very best out of those players and kept the plan 'simple'

For example the much lauded DN basically had no career of any note at all, other than AG

Says a lot about the manager at the time for me (Despite what some may say)

Yeah - I'd completely agree with that.  I think what did Johnson did brilliantly was build up a closely-knit team that worked as a unit and were far greater than the sum of his parts.  Unfortunately where it went wrong was he wasn't able to build on that.  He fell out with Basso and Orr, spent too much on the wrong players and we ended up with an unbalanced team with 4 central midfielders who were individually decent but couldn't play together and a lack of quality in other positions.  But you absolutely cannot knock what he did with that team that season. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yes Pelé was decent but he wasn't great and has been totally inconsistent for a long time. Okay for the first twenty years he scored 1200 goals in 1300 games but he's done nothing for over thirty years since and you couldn't persuade me he is any better than Conference level now. Sir Stanley Matthews as well, what a ****. He had that one dribble, I mean hello, we know what you're going to do fella. Didn't rate him myself and he's another one who has done **** all for a long time. Conference player. Did I tell you who I had in the back of me cab minibus the other day?

Elliot had one half decent season and on the back of that got into the league team. As you say he didn't replicate that form which kinda reinforces my point......:facepalm:

He was injured and he still played on till the Championship play-off final despite carrying an injury.

You could say Johnson ruined him by continuing to play him but to say he lacked quality at Championship level is utter rubbish. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Factually you're incorrect.  He played 8 seasons in the Championship and played more than 50% of the games in every one of them.  Factually speaking,p therefore, he established himself as a Championship player.  Perhaps you meant to say that, first season with Bristol City aside, he didn't excel as a Championship player. That would be be a subjective opinion, and one that I'd probably agree with.  But to say that someone who played in the Championship for 8 seasons, appearing in at least 28 games in every single one, didn't 'establish' themselves in the Championship is just getting your facts wrong. 

Don't feed the troll!

City weren't as effective when Elliot wasn't playing for sure but that doesn't persuade me that he was a top Chmapionship player.  In my opinion he was decent enough but not top quality.

Of that midfield David Noble was the class act but as we all know he didn't get to play on a regular basis. "Too lazy"  according to Johnson.  :facepalm:

Re Noble. Yes he was a class act, but using him to knock Johnson yet again is poor, even by your standards. Noble could have been a Premier league/top end Championship player had he kept the weight off, 'refuelled' a little better and applied himself consistently. The fact that he's plying his trade intermittently at Exeter having played at such footballing hotspots as Yeovil and Oldham after he left AG suggests Johnson's judgement wasn't that bad. And I am a David Noble fan!

1 hour ago, Scrumpy said:

The match report, with a big :laugh: for Pulis' comments...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7054121.stm

I remember reading this at the time and it reinforced my hatred of the bloke. Basically it came accross as I am a Rogers fans and purposely set out to mess this club up as proven by all the sick notes he brought in on expensive contracts.

2 hours ago, JM91 said:

What an absolute load of rubbish.  You're usually wrong but this time you're so far off the mark.

Elliott's first season with us was one of the finest individual seasons of any player at this club, I still remember the radio phone-in in January when Wolves were said to be sniffing about for £4m and literally everyone saying we should reject it.  He finished the season in the Championship team of the year, i.e. his fellow professionals voted him as one of the two best central midfielders in the entire league. 

Granted he never replicated the form of that season but to say he wasnt an established Championship player would be to say David Beckham was never an established Premier League player. 

Well said.

While my lack of games should always count against me when i oppine on a player i do get to a few games each season; i can only recall Marvellous Marv being off colour for us in his final season. I loved watching the fella; the epitomy of hard graft, commitment and even some deft levels of skill. He scored a few important goals for us too.

Archived