IGNORED

Has Marvin Elliott retired?

BCFC Jordan

8 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Shame. Can you imagine a fully fit Marv now. What a useful player he would be for us! Exactly the type of player we need for our battle. 

Decent lower league player but lacking enough quality to become established at Championship level.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Decent lower league player but lacking enough quality to become established at Championship level.

What an absolute load of rubbish.  You're usually wrong but this time you're so far off the mark.

Elliott's first season with us was one of the finest individual seasons of any player at this club, I still remember the radio phone-in in January when Wolves were said to be sniffing about for £4m and literally everyone saying we should reject it.  He finished the season in the Championship team of the year, i.e. his fellow professionals voted him as one of the two best central midfielders in the entire league. 

Granted he never replicated the form of that season but to say he wasnt an established Championship player would be to say David Beckham was never an established Premier League player. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did well to play over 300 games at Championship level then, but I know you're not one to let facts get in the way of a nonsensical opinion as you see that as some sort of unique schtick. 

20 minutes ago, JM91 said:

What an absolute load of rubbish.  You're usually wrong but this time you're so far off the mark.

Elliott's first season with us was one of the finest individual seasons of any player at this club, I still remember the radio phone-in in January when Wolves were said to be sniffing about for £4m and literally everyone saying we should reject it.  He finished the season in the Championship team of the year, i.e. his fellow professionals voted him as one of the two best central midfielders in the entire league. 

Granted he never replicated the form of that season but to say he wasnt an established Championship player would be to say David Beckham was never an established Premier League player. 

Elliot had one half decent season and on the back of that got into the league team. As you say he didn't replicate that form which kinda reinforces my point......:facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Elliot had one half decent season and on the back of that got into the league team. As you say he didn't replicate that form which kinda reinforces my point......:facepalm:

Bit more than half decent, he was a revelation. This team's midfield could do with a few of those Gary Johnson signings picked up for low fees.. Noble, Elliot, McIndoe.. 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There's quite a big difference between not replicating the form that had him voted in the team of the year and not being an established Championship player. 

Your inexplicable and non-evidenced argument really is compelling (that's sarcasm, I know you have selective reading so I figured I would be direct in explaining this), but I think I'll stick by the professional coaches, players and the 99.999999% of Ciy fans who disagree with you on this. 

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Factually you're incorrect.  He played 8 seasons in the Championship and played more than 50% of the games in every one of them.  Factually speaking,p therefore, he established himself as a Championship player.  Perhaps you meant to say that, first season with Bristol City aside, he didn't excel as a Championship player. That would be be a subjective opinion, and one that I'd probably agree with.  But to say that someone who played in the Championship for 8 seasons, appearing in at least 28 games in every single one, didn't 'establish' themselves in the Championship is just getting your facts wrong. 

City weren't as effective when Elliot wasn't playing for sure but that doesn't persuade me that he was a top Chmapionship player.  In my opinion he was decent enough but not top quality.

Of that midfield David Noble was the class act but as we all know he didn't get to play on a regular basis. "Too lazy"  according to Johnson.  :facepalm:

City weren't as effective when Elliot wasn't playing for sure but that doesn't persuade me that he was a top Chmapionship player.  In my opinion he was decent enough but not top quality.

Of that midfield David Noble was the class act but as we all know he didn't get to play on a regular basis. "Too lazy"  according to Johnson.  :facepalm:

So an established Championship player but not a top one then?

And Johnson was proven correct in that Noble ending up playing all his football in the lower leagues where you can get away with enjoying the odd pint or three if you are decent on the ball.

Noble was a superb talent but rumours, fitness and subsequent court cases suggest there were problems off-the-pitch that went beyond laziness alone.  A superb talent for sure but a wasted one.

On a side note, it's weird how none of that 2007-2008 squad went onto better things but our squad when we were struggling contained Bolasie and Heaton (who've played in the Premier League), Adomah, Skuse, Gerken and Pitman (who've tended to be near or around the Promotion zone), and Baldock who's also currently up there...

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So ' decent enough' and we weren't effective without him - the heart of our midfield that took us within one kick of premier league (with the much criticised on here LJ ) but 'lacked the quality to establish himself at Championship Level'

As for Noble - undoubted ability but sadly lacked even basic fitness and consumed ridiculous amounts of alcohol which meant he was a passenger without the ball - a real luxury player (Great on the ball mind and added to the mix  at that time)

You seem to also miss e point that it was because of Marv and a couple of others that we could include Noble - ME career was probably cut short by the running and tackles he did on behalf of DN

All opinions of course but you spout some complete and utter tosh at times - I don't know whether it's because you have a worrying obsession or just spout tosh ( IMO)

Did Marvin call you out as well ?

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yeah Noble's really pushed on hasn't he?

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Noble was a superb talent but rumours, fitness and subsequent court cases suggest there were problems off-the-pitch that went beyond laziness alone.  A superb talent for sure but a wasted one.

On a side note, it's weird how none of that 2007-2008 squad went onto better things but our squad when we were struggling contained Bolasie and Heaton (who've played in the Premier League), Adomah, Skuse, Gerken and Pitman (who've tended to be near or around the Promotion zone), and Baldock who's also currently up there...

Don't you think LB that this was because the manager at the time got the very best out of those players and kept the plan 'simple'

For example the much lauded DN basically had no career of any note at all, other than AG

Says a lot about the manager at the time for me (Despite what some may say)

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So ' decent enough' and we weren't effective without him - the heart of our midfield that took us within one kick of premier league (with the much criticised on here LJ ) but 'lacked the quality to establish himself at Championship Level'

As for Noble - undoubted ability but sadly lacked even basic fitness and consumed ridiculous amounts of alcohol which meant he was a passenger without the ball - a real luxury player (Great on the ball mind and added to the mix  at that time)

You seem to also miss e point that it was because of Marv and a couple of others that we could include Noble - ME career was probably cut short by the running and tackles he did on behalf of DN

All opinions of course but you spout some complete and utter tosh at times - I don't know whether it's because you have a worrying obsession or just spout tosh ( IMO)

Agree - real shame about Noble. In my opinion he had the 'ability' to play in the premier league - sadly he lacked everything else required. I wish he'd had the work rate and endeavour of Agard who by all accounts is a model pro!

Obviously Marvin went off the boil after 07/08 but in that season he was fantastic. I remember a call into Radio Bristol when we were struggling for goals around Xmas calling for Marv to be played up front! The price we paid for him though made him excellent business.

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes mate if mar would have been in his normal midfield role we would have beaten Hull in the playoffs

After his apparently one "half decent" season he had another under Millen when without penalties or free kicks he scored 8.

We'd kill for a midfielder today who could do that at our current level.

One of the best City players of the last 25 years, IMO.

Archived