IGNORED

Rush a Managerial Appointment this week we'll go Down

JM91

1 minute ago, deadredfred said:

I fear you could be bang on @spudski.

To me, the thought that the board may decide to go with JP, recruit as you say and then re-assess in the summer perfectly illustrates just how far we've fallen from the wonderful days back in May.

If true, it shows that they're willing to take the risk of relegation.

To be making these decisions on the hoof and only half way through the season is absolutely mind boggling. 

What on earth was the point in last seasons efforts?

If true, which I agree it probably is, was it really worth paying SC a severance package to sit at home only to gamble on his assitant?

Hindsight will answer that question, but in my opinion it's completely unreasonable and a wholly unjustifiable gamble to take (whatever the outcome) considering JP is totally and wholly untested.

If we do stay up the board may well feel vindicated, but I'd say in either case it will highlight a very concerning and cavalier attitude totally regardless of the outcome. 

My feeling is we will keep JP until the end of the season then work from there. If we go down we look for a Div 1 manager. If we stay up, we look to get a big name who will have a year with 2 transfer windows to make his mark. (Rather than come in now with little room to work with). That's not what I want to see but its just my gut feeling. The board wont spend big now in case we go down. We've just left it too late.......again.

2 hours ago, JM91 said:

If we rush a managerial appointment in this week and get a panic buy manager we will go down. 

You should think that it's not a panic appointment,they must of had somebody in mind for the job when they sacked cotts(Pembo),but it's city,then you start loaning players without a manager(Pembo),but it's city.my club is a great club but it's run by complete arseholes who haven't got the foggiest 

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

How I see it, it's pretty straight forward.

JP left in place to try and keep us up.

Bring in loan players and possible signings....loans with possible intention of signing, depending what league we are in.

As soon as we know what league we will be playing in...then the board will act.

If we stay up...we will be more attractive.

If we go down...less attractive, and we will have to cut our cloth accordingly.

Players to be signed over summer...type dependent on what league we are in.

Can't see us signing players in this transfer window, who could be on big wages...then us go down and have a problem with budget.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So what was all that bollocks about Premier league ambition in the statement when they sacked Cotterill, then?

Plus Mark Ashton saying we'd be "surprised" by the names that had applied?

Are we really basing our whole strategy now on the fact that Pemberton won his very first game? Loads of caretaker managers do that...

If Pemberton is the answer why didn't they give him the job before, when they sacked O'Driscoll?

As for the 2 signings that have come as you say, they are only loans, they have made absolutely no long term commitment at all to us.

I think both of you are right, because I think the Club, Board, whoever sends mixed messages.  Doesn't help does it!

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

If true, which I agree it probably is, was it really worth paying SC a severance package to sit at home only to gamble on his assitant?

Hindsight will answer that question, but in my opinion it's completely unreasonable and a wholly unjustifiable gamble to take (whatever the outcome) considering JP is totally and wholly untested.

If we do stay up the board may well feel vindicated, but I'd say in either case it will highlight a very concerning and cavalier attitude totally regardless of the outcome. 

Of course it was worth it. We've got rid of Cotts, changed tactics to playing 4-3-3, and now only losing by one goal. 

Big improvement :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So what was all that bollocks about Premier league ambition in the statement when they sacked Cotterill, then?

Are we really basing our whole strategy now on the fact that Pemberton won his very first game? Loads of caretaker managers do that...

If Pemberton is the answer why didn't they give him the job before, when they sacked O'Driscoll?

As for the 2 signings that have come as you say, they are only loans, they have made absolutely no long term commitment at all to us.

Maybe they got to the point where they felt SC couldn't do any more...will chance JP keeping us up...and then appoint someone who they feel could lead us towards the Prem?

Appointing a better Coach/manager will come about if we aren't in a relegation battle and if we stay up they have a whole summer to recruit.

Getting a new Coach now still won't necessarily attract the type of players we need....or guarantee wins.

I think the strategy in this league is to see where we end up, then make a move.

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You should think that it's not a panic appointment,they must of had somebody in mind for the job when they sacked cotts(Pembo),but it's city,then you start loaning players without a manager(Pembo),but it's city.my club is a great club but it's run by complete arseholes who haven't got the foggiest 

Perhaps they did, thought they'd sounded him out, and then he looked at the situation, potential reputation damage, and thought better of it.  If it's difficult to recruit the likes of Clough (from Bolton's desperate state) or Dack (from a inferior club), are we really gonna get the manager we think we deserve.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Maybe they got to the point where they felt SC couldn't do any more...will chance JP keeping us up...and then appoint someone who they feel could lead us towards the Prem?

Appointing a better Coach/manager will come about if we aren't in a relegation battle and if we stay up they have a whole summer to recruit.

Getting a new Coach now still won't necessarily attract the type of players we need....or guarantee wins.

I think the strategy in this league is to see where we end up, then make a move.

No, it won't but I'm pretty convinced that what we have in charge now will take us down.

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

Why do people think we are going to bring in a manager soon?

Didn't our two loan signings say they came here only after assurances regarding JP?

Can see us going with JP til the end of the season or until it's mathematically impossible for us to go down.

Manager/Coach made official then.

At least we look more solid and have only conceded two goal in three games...tough games at that. Plus still making chances.

Hopefully a goal scorer is found. Feb's a big month with a couple '6 pointers'....think we'll know better at the end of feb.

A 'current' goal scorer and not somebody that managed one several years ago on MOTD, but who would want to come here?, luckily as BCFC fans we have been brought up on a diet of 'didn't take our chances' or 'didn't deserve that result' and this season has been no different and neither has today, but the same speech though.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No, it won't but I'm pretty convinced that what we have in charge now will take us down.

Think it all depends who we get in and what we get points wise in Feb...especially against Charlton and Dons.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

A 'current' goal scorer and not somebody that managed one several years ago on MOTD, but who would want to come here?, luckily as BCFC fans we have been brought up on a diet of 'didn't take our chances' or 'didn't deserve that result' and this season has been no different and neither has today, but the same speech though.

Agreed...we should have put away our chances...but I can already see improvements.

We have become more solid...not conceding loads of goals...not giving the opposition loads of chances...yet whilst becoming more solid...we are still creating chances.

If we can start to put those chances away...then at least we haven't got to score 3 every game to win right now.

Not saying it's perfect...but I really can't see a new coach making much difference in the small time frame we have.

If we had got rid of SC back in November, then it could have been different.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Think it all depends who we get in and what we get points wise in Feb...especially against Charlton and Dons.

Agreed...we should have put away our chances...but I can already see improvements.

We have become more solid...not conceding loads of goals...not giving the opposition loads of chances...yet whilst becoming more solid...we are still creating chances.

If we can start to put those chances away...then at least we haven't got to score 3 every game to win right now.

Not saying it's perfect...but I really can't see a new coach making much difference in the small time frame we have.

If we had got rid of SC back in November, then it could have been different.

Yes we could have been bottom of the league, that is a silly thing to say because nobody can predict what may have happened.

We got fed up with SC saying about not taking our chances and not deserving that result, it cannot go on.

i'm not advocating a new coach unless it's the right guy, but we need somebody who can organise, as I said on another post as hard as it might be to swallow, we need the sort of organisation that WBA showed on Tuesday night and that might have to be the dreaded Warnock, 4 games at QPR 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. Probably their best run all season.

Here comes my stupid comment assuming we get a new person in charge;

- if we pick the right one, we might be ok

- if we pick the wrong one, we will go down

we don't know whether Pembo / Wade combo is better or worse than who we bring in.

We will only know as each game passes whether the right decision has been made.

I think the combo who got it bang on we're Difford and Tilbrook.....look up the title of one if their best songs....it could've been written for us at this point in time!

{we certainly ain't ain't cool for cats]

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

we don't know whether Pembo / Wade combo is better or worse than who we bring in.

I think the combo who got it bang on we're Difford and Tilbrook.....look up the title of one if their best songs....it could've been written for us at this point in time!

it's not stupid, it's about as complicated as it has become, whether to stick or twist, we need some quality and we need it fast, but again I ask what 'quality' would want to come to BCFC given the past 8 months?.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Yes we could have been bottom of the league, that is a silly thing to say because nobody can predict what may have happened.

We got fed up with SC saying about not taking our chances and not deserving that result, it cannot go on.

i'm not advocating a new coach unless it's the right guy, but we need somebody who can organise, as I said on another post as hard as it might be to swallow, we need the sort of organisation that WBA showed on Tuesday night and that might have to be the dreaded Warnock, 4 games at QPR 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. Probably their best run all season.

You misunderstand me EMB...I meant the situation of appointing the right man, would be different if SC had gone in November.

In as much as a newly appointed manager back then, would have had more time to change things and appoint the right players.

Just like SC did when SoD left.

The timing is affecting what's happening right now.

The more Time rolls on I'm more and more convinced that we are going to have to rely on our 'original squad' to keep us up - We may get lucky and pull a rabbit out of the hat but I can't see us getting someone , for example who will get us 8-10 goals before May and help keep us up. we may add in numbers but quality ? Can't see it now - hope I'm wrong

(I know that's worrying if true)

If that is the case and on that basis does the choice of Coach / Manager until May then rest on the question , who can get the best out of these players between now and May

JP ?

Warnock ?

A new 'Head Coach' ?

Will a (perceived) better coach than JP have that impact ?

Will a (perceived) better motivator than JP have that impact ? 

JP clearly liked by the players which is a plus ( Isn't it ? !! Too nice ??)

If I'm honest I just don't know anymore - we are such a mess - guess that only those that know JP and the players better than I can accurately judge but I do think that SL isn't dreading relegation as much as the fans are

You misunderstand me EMB...I meant the situation of appointing the right man, would be different if SC had gone in November.

In as much as a newly appointed manager back then, would have had more time to change things and appoint the right players.

Just like SC did when SoD left.

The timing is affecting what's happening right now.

Fair enough, but maybe just maybe if the right person was brought in, an appointment showing 'intent' maybe some players might take the chance, IMO our viable striker options are severely limited to Matt Smith but having miserably to get him permanently over the past 12 months I ain't holding my breath, I fear we'll end up with the usual BCFC relegation threatened type striker.

I'm not 100% fussed that we lost today, it was a game I expected us to lose, however what it hopefully does is show that Pembo is not the man to see us through. He's a great bloke and I really want him to stay around. Iwas really worried the board would stick with him but after losing two games we could have won its just a continuation of the form we had under Cotts.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Fair enough, but maybe just maybe if the right person was brought in, an appointment showing 'intent' maybe some players might take the chance, IMO our viable striker options are severely limited to Matt Smith but having miserably to get him permanently over the past 12 months I ain't holding my breath, I fear we'll end up with the usual BCFC relegation threatened type striker.

It is what it is EMB...only the board will know why they chose to let SC go now...very odd timing.

There maybe many anomalies that we don't know about.

The appointment of Mr Ashton and Mr Pelling going imho, have a big impact in the decision.

3 minutes ago, Just Red said:

I'm not 100% fussed that we lost today, it was a game I expected us to lose, however what it hopefully does is show that Pembo is not the man to see us through. He's a great bloke and I really want him to stay around. Iwas really worried the board would stick with him but after losing two games we could have won its just a continuation of the form we had under Cotts.

Beating 'Boro and losing one nil to both WBA and Leeds is hardly a continuation of 'form' compared to SC's 'form' of conceding goals for fun.

We are more solid and heading in the right direction...give the bloke 10 games before you judge him...wouldn't you say that's fair?

4 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Out of interest, what was it about today's game that has informed your opinion?  If it was a game you expected us to lose, the fact that it was only one goal, shouldn't seem that bad.  I'm not trying to be clever either.  I get the bit that it's following similar firm to Cotts.

Did you go? I didn't, so only reliant on highlights.

What was your view after Middlesborough?

It is what it is EMB...only the board will know why they chose to let SC go now...very odd timing.

There maybe many anomalies that we don't know about.

The appointment of Mr Ashton and Mr Pelling going imho, have a big impact in the decision.

Beating 'Boro and losing one nil to both WBA and Leeds is hardly a continuation of 'form' compared to SC's 'form' of conceding goals for fun.

We are more solid and heading in the right direction...give the bloke 10 games before you judge him...wouldn't you say that's fair?

Sadly we ain't got 10 games and I think the loss to Leeds is actually a continuation of 'form', they were well beatable.

1 hour ago, wallaceboy said:

It's so frustrating.I was actually dreaming of the play offs in September when we were on about spending that sort of money.I actually hate being a city fan right now.whole weekend  messed up again.oh well guess we're just not getting the luck.Luke ayling should be burying that.if he's any good.for me we will be lucky to pick up 40 points.

I can't believe any City fan thought we could come into this league and get in the top 6 this season, you set your sights far to high mate!

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sadly we ain't got 10 games and I think the loss to Leeds is actually a continuation of 'form', they were well beatable.

Whoever is in charge...has only got the games in front of us.

Bringing in a new coach last week wouldn't have guaranteed a win at Leeds.

It's ridiculous to think any new coach will miraculously bring wins overnight in this league.

We don't have the players to become overnight sensations.

We do however, have the players and a better and stronger and more solid 'formation' to stop leaking goals and give ourselves a better chance of winning games.

Under SC we were leaking goals for fun...as the league table shows.

It's obvious that SC was too stubborn to change his system. Imho...he lost his job because of it. If he had changed, then maybe he would still be here...the table doesn't lie neither do stats.

SC leaves...and the players are consulted....and we change the system...funny that. All of a sudden we look solid, and aren't conceding lots of goals or giving that many chances.

Look at it this way...if SC was here...you would have likely expected us to lose to WBA and 'Boro....and maybe get some kind of result at Leeds.

The fact we beat Boro and drew at WBA speaks volumes to me.

Lets judge anyone in charge over 10 ish games shall we?

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

More "up the junction" I would say!

Whoever is in charge...has only got the games in front of us.

Bringing in a new coach last week wouldn't have guaranteed a win at Leeds.

It's ridiculous to think any new coach will miraculously bring wins overnight in this league.

We don't have the players to become overnight sensations.

We do however, have the players and a better and stronger and more solid 'formation' to stop leaking goals and give ourselves a better chance of winning games.

Under SC we were leaking goals for fun...as the league table shows.

It's obvious that SC was too stubborn to change his system. Imho...he lost his job because of it. If he had changed, then maybe he would still be here...the table doesn't lie neither do stats.

SC leaves...and the players are consulted....and we change the system...funny that. All of a sudden we look solid, and aren't conceding lots of goals or giving that many chances.

Look at it this way...if SC was here...you would have likely expected us to lose to WBA and 'Boro....and maybe get some kind of result at Leeds.

The fact we beat Boro and drew at WBA speaks volumes to me.

Lets judge anyone in charge over 10 ish games shall we?

All very interesting and maybe some or even most is true, but you missed out the most important fact, to win games and to escape relegation, we are going to need to start scoring goals, actually in most cases 'hitting' the target would be a start and where is that going to come from all of a sudden? and who apart from Smith is a viable striking option because even if we manage to sign Smith (which I doubt) we will IMO still need another striker, I don't see enough goals with what we have and I don't see viable signings.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

All very interesting and maybe some or even most is true, but you missed out the most important fact, to win games and to escape relegation, we are going to need to start scoring goals, actually in most cases 'hitting' the target would be a start and where is that going to come from all of a sudden? and who apart from Smith is a viable striking option because even if we manage to sign Smith (which I doubt) we will IMO still need another striker, I don't see enough goals with what we have and I don't see viable signings.

I agree...we have stopped teams creating chances against us...one shot on target today for Leeds.

We are still creating chances...just not converting.

I think it's down to extra pressure and less composure...players snatching and rushing at chances.

Maybe if we get a loan in who's playing to get a contract, then he would be more composed.

Like you say...who's going to come to us!

1 hour ago, marmite said:

My feeling is we will keep JP until the end of the season then work from there. If we go down we look for a Div 1 manager. If we stay up, we look to get a big name who will have a year with 2 transfer windows to make his mark. (Rather than come in now with little room to work with). That's not what I want to see but its just my gut feeling. The board wont spend big now in case we go down. We've just left it too late.......again.

No problem in SC we have a proven winner in div1 ..........................oh wait some bright spark thought it would be a good plan to sack him.....by phone and buy a suit :facepalm:

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

and both not match fit it seems jeez; :facepalm:

Archived