IGNORED

Seems like we're preparing for League 1

Major Isewater

As I've stated before, it's not the result that have sunk me, but the realisation that we don't have a ******* clue. I honestly believe there are people in the stands who could do a better job. The size of the balls up given our resources and and preparation are monumental. It was so ******* obvious it was painful. 

I cannot stand listening to people who keep saying that we will be alright because we almost drew or had more chances or should've won.

I love the club so much that this season has almost reduced my to tears by how sad it has made me feel. 

The very worst thing is that it has shaken my confidence in Lansdown and that despite all his pennies he has ****** up chance after chance.

What will change?

26 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Sam Clucas, Yasser Kasim, Bradley Dack, Nathan Byrne, Luongo, Gladwin. Any of those being with us since the start of the season would've helped. Instead we went for people like Gayle. 

Agree in some respects, but all of those bar Kasim and Dack went to bigger clubs (on paper) than us.  In fairness we might've been seriously interested in a few of them, but not interested.

I think there are others of that ilk out there, who also fit the city model (u24 and all that), and what I felt we needed were 3 or 4 of them coupled with 2 or 3 'no brainers' with Champ experience or players not gonna get regular games for Prem.  To some extent we did the second part of that with Fredericks / Bennett, Moore, Baker and Hamer, just didn't do the first bit.

That would have allowed Cotts to not have to worry about last year's fringe (Reid, Burns, Wagstaff etc) being called upon unless there was a real injury crisis.  We all know he has burned a few players by playing them too many minutes, e.g. Wilbs.

Having said all of that, if we are to believe the summer's events, had Cotts brought in Gray and Maguire on his return from holiday, things would have looked very different.

We can't live in the past, we are where we are.

I still think, one midfielder and one striker might be the difference in a season of fine lines.  That's not hiding behind some poor performances (weren't we always gonna have some of those this season), but we could easily have 5-8 more points this season.  We'd still be in a scrap, but it wouldn't look anywhere near as bad.

Coming up at 9.00pm is Made In Bristol TV's new game show 'BS3 hell' where footballers are lured to Ashton Gate and made to sign a contract in scenes reminiscent of Saw. 

Then at 10.00pm the interactive show 'The Vale' where viewers at home must try to point out a dog walker on Ashton Vale with a chance to win a jackpot, which currently stands at £3,256,000.

46 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Not read the above, but one win and where will we be? We are not cut adrift, and would the best of league one, join us to be in league one when they would clearly be aiming for at least a champioship move? Another pointless thread, relegation not on the agenda with SL I'm sure. 

Don't bother to read the above, its the same as every thread after we have lost a game! 

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

As I've stated before, it's not the result that have sunk me, but the realisation that we don't have a ******* clue. I honestly believe there are people in the stands who could do a better job. The size of the balls up given our resources and and preparation are monumental. It was so ******* obvious it was painful. 

I cannot stand listening to people who keep saying that we will be alright because we almost drew or had more chances or should've won.

I love the club so much that this season has almost reduced my to tears by how sad it has made me feel. 

The very worst thing is that it has shaken my confidence in Lansdown and that despite all his pennies he has ****** up chance after chance.

What will change?

They will all come around eventually. ..

Or maybe not  :thumbsup:

Cast you mind back a few years to when City were last in this position, 2012-13 and look at pages in the 680 - 690 range on this forum.

Some people were posting League 1 won't be that bad. Others urging the club not to use Academy players as it would ruin them to play in a first team lacking in confidence and ideas etc. Some suggested sacking the Manager, whilst others took a contrary view.

These views seem to surface every time the club's in a similar position to where it is now. 1979 I accepted relegation from the top flight as we weren't good enough. However losing relegation fight the following year (no internet then) had fans writing to the Green Un with similar views.

I agree with Thatch 35, one win and we'll climb one, possibly two places and things will look better which will or should have an effect on player's morale.

57 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Don't bother to read the above, its the same as every thread after we have lost a game! 

Better to read the ones about how we almost won, then In the summer we can read the ones about how we almost stayed up.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

League one is way more fun anyway. No 40 quid away tickets either. 

**** the championship it's seriously overrated 

League 1 is shit.

Only reason it may seem fun is we can win in league 1.

What makes it worse is that we will prob be in the same league as rovers next year :blink:

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

No thank you to League One. Chesterfield, Gillingham, Oldham etc, really rather not...whenever we drop down there it often isn't so easy to get out of...

Indeed.

That's whats so sad about our situation. Last season was a one of a kind, which makes it all the more gut wrenching that we f##### it up

29 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Indeed.

That's whats so sad about our situation. Last season was a one of a kind, which makes it all the more gut wrenching that we f##### it up

Definitely. An opportunity was wasted however it occured. Such momentum, amazing it was. Good manager, young talented squad...correct additions and who knows. We were back in Spring 2015 being lauded by all and sundry.

I doubt many neutrals would have predicted we would be struggling like this in those heady days, I remember in some places we had such momentum some bookies had us 20/1 to win this league. Or 30/1 something like, lower than the norm anyway!

Didn't realise you were relegated already!  Could of sworn there were 20 odd games left to overcome the mountainous 2 point deficit with MK  Dons etc.

Christ, you lot bang on enough about us 'celebrating promotion in November' yet here you are seemingly enjoying the prospect of relegation in January.

Man the **** up!

6 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

We are fighting to stay in this division. Look at the table, Rotherham, MK, Fulham and Blackburn. Its not Himalaya to climb. Always Believe. Coyr.

This is true.  But we never take advantage of other teams slip ups.  We are relying on other teams to perform badly to keep us up.  Which is why I believe we'll go down.

14 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

With our reported interest in Dack ,Gilbey ,and other top league 1 players does anyone think that Lansdown is preparing for a promotion push from League 1 next season ?

It does n't look like ,unless there are stupifying appointments next week,  that our owner is looking to push on to the Prem .

The only people planning for league 1 are some of our fans , who seem to have decided that we are already relegated. I don't think SL spending £50m on rebuilding Ashton Gate is an indication that he is planning for league 1, neither was him being prepared t give SC the funds to go after players who have cost £7m ( whether you think we were over ambitious is a different issue). 

Going back to the summer, many fans were hypercritical of our attempts to sign Gayle and/or Gray,on the basis that we were aiming to high, i.e. players that would never come here. Back then, before the season had started,  I kept reading that what we should have been doing was targeting the best of league 1 , such as Bradshaw. Now we are targeting the best of league 1, exactly the same strategy is interpreted as planning for league 1. 

Seems to me that the club is damned if it does and damned if it does't in the eyes of many fans

It seems to me that  SL's priority is cost control. That is a perfectly reasonable stance, especially as he bankrolls the operation. The focus is clearly on running costs - capital expenditure is an entirely different matter, especially if spent on developing the stadium so as to generate more income or paying fees for players with potential sell on value - wages being by far the biggest part. Hence we allegedly have one of the lowest budgets in the Championship.

So far so reasonable but  there is no financial bonanza from being in the Championship. The only bonanza comes from promotion to the PL, which, despite SL's laughable claims that we intend to challenge next season, is not going to happen as we cannot compete with clubs pocketing parachute payments. Consequently, relegation may not be a financial disaster as the wage bill will automatically fall commensurately thanks to relegation clauses, crowds will hold up to at least a 10,000 level if history is anything to go by and SL is confident the stadium will provide much more revenue than before.

Given that we  seem to be intensely relaxed about appointing a new manager - if we would be surprised who is interested why have we not snapped one of them up? - I conclude we would be equally relaxed about relegation, if not quite so openly enthusiastic about it as we were last time. Meanwhile the focus can be on getting Bristol to the Premiership, a far more likely and less expensive option than getting City to the PL.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

The only people planning for league 1 are some of our fans , who seem to have decided that we are already relegated. I don't think SL spending £50m on rebuilding Ashton Gate is an indication that he is planning for league 1, neither was him being prepared t give SC the funds to go after players who have cost £7m ( whether you think we were over ambitious is a different issue). 

Going back to the summer, many fans were hypercritical of our attempts to sign Gayle and/or Gray,on the basis that we were aiming to high, i.e. players that would never come here. Back then, before the season had started,  I kept reading that what we should have been doing was targeting the best of league 1 , such as Bradshaw. Now we are targeting the best of league 1, exactly the same strategy is interpreted as planning for league 1. 

Seems to me that the club is damned if it does and damned if it does't in the eyes of many fans

A stadium rebuild is n't decided overnight , i"m sure SL did n't anticipate a relegation to League 1 when plans were drawn up . Equally i'm not convinced that he thought we'd  be in the Championship before the new stadium was finished  !  I bang on about being promoted too soon and i was ridiculed by many but look what has happened since .

We have lost all momentum and face the very real prospect of being back where we started before last season's heroics.

Very few people know the truth of our failures in the transfer market this season but,  whatever,  this season has been very poorly managed ,a fact accepted by SL evidently view the appointment of Ashton .

My opinion on signings is that Cotts thought our current lot were better than what they actually are and gambled on one or two quality additions to move us forward.We should have been targeting those type of players ,in addition to lower league and foreign players . We put all our eggs in one basket and are now paying the price.

18 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If we're looking for positives it's the fact that we know our team can tear league one apart and that there is little risk of anyone wanting to sign anyone from us...

Can we? That was one special season. No guarantees we can do that again. 

The teams who came up with us are in better positions than us. 

So your statement is slightly rose tinted. 

I am sorry but do the research.

No, based on our transfer activity, our future lies in an aspiration to play in the French leagues. Players there don't speak the queen's and are still gullible enough to actually sign for us. 

Now, what ferry are we all getting?

17 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Coming up at 9.00pm is Made In Bristol TV's new game show 'BS3 hell' where footballers are lured to Ashton Gate and made to sign a contract in scenes reminiscent of Saw. 

Then at 10.00pm the interactive show 'The Vale' where viewers at home must try to point out a dog walker on Ashton Vale with a chance to win a jackpot, which currently stands at £3,256,000.

What a rollover !

19 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Can we? That was one special season. No guarantees we can do that again. 

The teams who came up with us are in better positions than us. 

So your statement is slightly rose tinted. 

Am sick to the back teeth of people blithely presuming we can just 'yoyo' back up to this level if relegated; I'm not convinced we'd have such an easy time of it.

We've a smaller permanent playing staff, no manager currently, and I've little doubt anyone of quality (including important players like Smith and Kodjia) will get snapped ups, just like they did last time we went down.

We need to focus on staying up; I only hope that this week we appoint someone who can help us so this, as well as bring in one or two more player on key positions to help keep us on this division, and kick on next year.

21 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

With our reported interest in Dack ,Gilbey ,and other top league 1 players does anyone think that Lansdown is preparing for a promotion push from League 1 next season ?

It does n't look like ,unless there are stupifying appointments next week,  that our owner is looking to push on to the Prem .

What top notch Championship players would want to come to us in the relegation fight. would be suicidal on their CV. the only hope is to attract up and coming League 1 or foreign

2 minutes ago, ontariored said:

What top notch Championship players would want to come to us in the relegation fight. would be suicidal on their CV. the only hope is to attract up and coming League 1 or foreign

Trouble is I don't think our scouting and negotiation skills are up to this task. 

Looking at past attempts to bring this sort of calibire of player in. 

Archived