IGNORED

Aden Flint

EmersonsRed

Flint is a "head it and kick it"  merchant and a typical League 1 defender. He, along with others has been found out at Championship level. 

Players,like managers have a level at which they perform best and Flints is League 1.

There was a thread recently about ball carrying defenders and neither Flint or Baker have the skills to do that. 

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Totally disagree. Of all our defenders this year he has been the least culpable and the most composed. Shame he's not such a threat at set pieces though.

I disagree with your disagreement. Definitely the defender most out of his depth (barring an overweight Mark Little and Derrick Williams played out of position)

35 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

The big man should have buried his header, that's for sure.

What else happened yesterday to warrant the post?

Was he at fault for the Leeds goal?

Certainly at fault for the west Brom goal the other night.

Strangely I was going to come on here today and asked where his multi page post was. After Tuesday night the whipping boys laid into Reid mercilessly yet the  mistake that led to the goal was Flints. yesterday he should have scored a completely free header and yet I thought he had got away with it again.

Now personally I think he has done very well for his 1st season at this level especially when Baker is along side him, but I was wondering what it would take for people to start doubting him, considering it usually only takes one incident for some to decide that someone shouldn't be a professional footballer.. 

While I agree to a point, I think Flint has done OK this year. His attitude has got him through this far and you can hardly say he's the worst by miles. Baker - liability at times. Williams - seemed ok at WB , lost at FB .LA - too gung ho offers little cover at the back. Little - still looks out of shape and 2 yards slower than last year , and he was facing Rondon when Flint missed the header, should have seen the danger.  At times this year AF has been the only defender staying back, Bobby Moore may have had an off day in that scenario !

He took time to settle at L1 level, and while I agree this may be a step too far , he is committed and whole hearted his mistakes will found out more this year, as they all will. Shame yesterday he didn't score the chance he would have notched in his sleep last year.

I thought Flinty was adapting well after a poor start, team was also very poor , the addition of Baker has helped the boy out. This season I have noticed he looks uncomfortable in our formation , opposite of last year . Yes he heads it kicks it that's his job , not to be cultured, hits too many long diags but that's the way we resort to when we've nowt on . Not the worst from last year. Will get better. If were relegated he will stay in the championship . 

Blame the board and all the suits that work for them.

The problem is we arnt getting quality into the club. I have been a big critic of Dereck Williams recently but in reality he is playing because we haven't brought anyone in.

Please don't turn Flinter into a Liam Fontaine just for the sake of a head lining thread.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Strangely I was going to come on here today and asked where his multi page post was. After Tuesday night the whipping boys laid into Reid mercilessly yet the  mistake that led to the goal was Flints. yesterday he should have scored a completely free header and yet I thought he had got away with it again.

Now personally I think he has done very well for his 1st season at this level especially when Baker is along side him, but I was wondering what it would take for people to start doubting him, considering it usually only takes one incident for some to decide that someone shouldn't be a professional footballer.. 

I think that's a tad unfair. Reid in the games before had a hand in Reading's goal against and in Preston's goal against. Then versus West Brom he did put in a very poor defensive header (granted, unlike Flint he connected) which went straight to their man and invited cross number 2. I think (most) were fair assessments of we are not in a position to 'carry' Reid at this moment, and given his age probably for much longer. 

As for Flint I too think he has adjusted to this level. A couple of mistakes too and culpable at times but his distribution has markedly improved, he has scored some good goals - people clearly forgot he did score a goal in the reverse fixture to play a big part in earning a point - and I don't think he looks a weak link whatsoever.

Maybe for the wba goal we should give some credit to the guy who put in the cross. Flint jumped but it was just high enough to clear him. Most games he eats up those crosses.

I think Aden has been pretty solid for his first season at this level. Ayling has made way more mistakes but doesn't get critcised. Williams imo has been quite poor.

16 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Blame the board and all the suits that work for them.

The problem is we arnt getting quality into the club. I have been a big critic of Dereck Williams recently but in reality he is playing because we haven't brought anyone in.

Please don't turn Flinter into a Liam Fontaine just for the sake of a head lining thread.

What did you want the "suits" to do? (Almost) Every player that Cotterill identified as a target had bids accepted (9 million for Dwight Gayle) but none of them were interested in coming to City unless they were paid ridiculous wages (in some cases, not even then).

It is my opinion,  based on little actual knowledge, that SC was sacked because his transfer targets were unrealistic, Zac Clough being the final straw. Obviously results were the real problem, but if we had reinforced in the summer with players like Dack, Clarke and Gladwin we might be looking safer.

All I saw Flint do wrong yesterday was to miss with a header that he really should have scored. Defensively he was fine: Leeds created nothing but the goal, which was caused by Joe Bryan (who is not a suitable left back) being caught out of position.

Baker, by contrast was a red card waiting to happen and was lucky to even make it to half time. It wasn't entirely has fault as the ref was hopeless but he needs to be able to adjust his game to the circumstances.

26 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I think that's a tad unfair. Reid in the games before had a hand in Reading's goal against and in Preston's goal against. Then versus West Brom he did put in a very poor defensive header (granted, unlike Flint he connected) which went straight to their man and invited cross number 2. I think (most) were fair assessments of we are not in a position to 'carry' Reid at this moment, and given his age probably for much longer. 

As for Flint I too think he has adjusted to this level. A couple of mistakes too and culpable at times but his distribution has markedly improved, he has scored some good goals - people clearly forgot he did score a goal in the reverse fixture to play a big part in earning a point - and I don't think he looks a weak link whatsoever.

Sorry, but that is bonkers.

For the record; I think people are being far too hash on Flint, who has actually done well stepping up, but to somehow blame Reid for goals he is two-to-three elements of play removed from, when Flint of far more involved, and who's job it is to remove danger in EXACTLY those circumstance stinks of trying to pass off blame.  Why bring Reid into it here anyway? 

You clearly were not at the game yesterday, as Reid was actually one of the few players taking the game by the stuff of the neck when he came on, and pushing us forward; you want to talk about 'passengers', well Freeman has been one time and time again this year, yet walks into the team, so let's stop this singling out of fringe players, please.

Flint wasn't helped yesterday by the fact Bryan was absolutely terrible; he wasn't even a passenger, but an active liability.  His timidity and inability to recognise when he had didn't have the time for a fancy pass, or to dwell on the ball, meant that Baker was coming out to disrupt the Leeds attacks that targeted his obvious weaknesses, but as is Baker's way, he did so too aggressively, got booked, and he then required replacing.  

This reorganisation left Bryan exploded as Pearce seemed less willing to step out, and meant the whole defence was disorganised, leading to the Leeds goal, not Flint.  You can't even see Bryan in the highlights of their goal as he's so far out of position.

Bryan is a winger, and I hope we NEVER play him in defence again.

12 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

All I saw Flint do wrong yesterday was to miss with a header that he really should have scored. Defensively he was fine: Leeds created nothing but the goal, which was caused by Joe Bryan (who is not a suitable left back) being caught out of position.

Baker, by contrast was a red card waiting to happen and was lucky to even make it to half time. It wasn't entirely has fault as the ref was hopeless but he needs to be able to adjust his game to the circumstances.

Agree completely; I posted at half time that Bryan was being targeted by Leeds' wingers (think it was their number 8, who I misidentified as Dallas at the time), and even though Baker's tackles were reckless, the reason he was stepping into the area in front of Bryan to make those kind of challenges (the first of which was booking-worthy, yet didn't get one, the second of which was absolutely fine, but saw him carded; the ref really was garbage) was because he was smart enough to recognise Bryan was not doing his job.

After the break, all Leeds needed to do was keep up the pressure on that area, and then scored before Pearce had settled in, then clammed up and held on, which is exactly what they did.

I pray that before Birmingham we get in a true left back, as this will be an area that team will target.

27 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Not sure if true (I haven't checked) but someone mentioned during the game that it was the same ref that sent him off against Blackburn...  So you have got to wonder what was going through bakers mind when he was flying into those tackles.

in fairness to Flint we should not be having to rely on a CB to put the ball in the net. We clearly need more goals from midfield it is so bad it is laughable, also Kodjia although our top scorer misses sitter after sitter and needs to convert more of his chances.

34 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Reminds me of Jamie Mccombe. Outstanding in league one and big factor in our promotion winning side but unable to make the step up.

McCombe was outstanding in our first season in the championship. Injury hampered his career, not ability. 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

in fairness to Flint we should not be having to rely on a CB to put the ball in the net. We clearly need more goals from midfield it is so bad it is laughable, also Kodjia although our top scorer misses sitter after sitter and needs to convert more of his chances.

Absolutely, and I wish that we'd thrown on Agard for Kodjia yesterday towards the end, as Kodjia's head dropped and energy went, meaning he was offside more than not.

Kodjia was a live wire and threat up until their goal/around 70 mins, but after that it was clear he was getting zero change out of their back line, but the fact we don't have a similar type of player (if you maybe consider Agard not to be that player) to replace him limits us.

A willing runner like Agard would likely have got more out of them in the last 20, but the need to replace Baker after his booking first half meant we didn't have that option.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Totally disagree. Of all our defenders this year he has been the least culpable and the most composed. Shame he's not such a threat at set pieces though.

Nutter! 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

The big man should have buried his header, that's for sure.

What else happened yesterday to warrant the post?

Was he at fault for the Leeds goal?

Watch the cross - a lanky bloke, about 6'6 comes flying across the box trying to header it and misses it completely.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Certainly at fault for the west Brom goal the other night.

This.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, he did give Rondon too much space in the box - but to be fair though, Rondon's chest control at such close quarters was outrageous.

It's not even about the space as much mate, it was his lack of awareness. I've said this in another thread but Rondon could see his name and number which is always a huge fault. There was also no West Brom attacker in front of him - surely he knew Rondon would then be behind him? He pretty much left Mark Little to mark three people. Lack of concentration, football knowledge and unfortunately, ability.

Archived