IGNORED

Time to STOP bashing the board

Alessandro

This isn't a happy clappy post. This isn't another, "come on, let's all be positive" thread.

But I've written a little list:

Pete Winkleman - relocated Wimbledon FC, thus destroying the clubs history.

George Reynolds - Built Darlington's new 25,000 seater stadium on high interest loans, crippling the club and sending them spiralling out the league and existence. 

Craig Whyte - Bought Rangers FC for £1 and vowed to clear their debt. But Whyte actually borrowed £26.7 million against season ticket sales rather than investing any of his own cash, essentially buying the club with the fans' money. We all know what happened to Rangers next.

Vincent Tan - How about a kit colour change from red to blue anyone?!

Massimo Cellino - After Risdale loaned £60 million on future gate receipts and the gamble of Champions league qualification, they didn't. So LUFC dropped like the proverbial stone. Now they have a serial manager sacker and convicted tax evader in charge. Much to the disgust of pretty much every fan, he still refuses to sell off his shares in the club.

Randy Lerner - The Villa owner who has been looking to sell for a year now, has slowly strangled this giant club financially with cut backs on spending and wages over the past 3 seasons, to the point at which they can no longer compete at the top level and look nailed on for relegation. 

And there are so many more examples, The Venky's, Mike Ashley, Portsmouth FC, Hicks and Gillett, the list goes on.......

I'm not advocating that the BCFC board should be free of criticism. It is clear they have made mistakes. But I think this witch hunt attitude since Cotterill left has to stop. I don't know anything about running a football club, but I know for sure it is not an exact science. There is no magic formula. We are one of 100 odd football clubs in the league, success is not a given. Under Landsdown we have seen this fantastic new stadium take shape, commercial improvements, investment on the field. Promotions and trophies. I don't think we could have a more committed man at the top of our club. Never once has SL disrespected our history or gambled the very existence of our club. Trust that he, and everyone else, is doing everything within their power to take us forward again, and in a way that keeps this club as it has been for well over 100 years. 

I disagree that it's a witch-hunt. Throughout this debacle of 6 months they have remained virtually silent and, as far as the football itself is concerned, achieved less than nothing. They have sanctioned the dismantling of last year's squad in favour of a pale shadow. 

In my view they were responsible for keeping SC in check at least. Add to that poor timing on every action and they only have themselves to blame. 

Perhaps a board with a modicum of sense might have said "Steve, (insert number)  players have already gone without replacement. Let's hang fire with the departures until someone agrees to sign and, therefore, replace them". 

I think I would also have a trawl through our recent history.... SL has invested money yes, but has he had a return? Has he got a legacy. He was going to walk away if he could not build at Ashton Vale and he did not. In fact, too much time and money was wasted on that project. The stadium looks great but no point have 27000 stadium in Lg 1.

SL no longer runs the club. Thus, the board has to answer for the approach that we are taking and for the decision making. It cannot all be levied at the manager. Where is the managerial appointment that will deliver PL football, which we have been told by the board is the plan. SL said next year he wanted a push for the PL!!!!! Thus, all is not well at the club and it needs a full root and branch review.....

Who's bashing the Board?

Here's the Board of Bristol City and I am entirely satisfied with all of them.  Every one of them has the club's best interests at heart.  I genuinely think this.

Chairman: Keith Dawe
Vice-Chairman: Jon Lansdown
Executive Director: Doug Harman
Non-Executive Director: Ernie Arathoon
Club President: Marina Dolman DL DStJ JP
Vice Presidents: Betty Rosemary Bennett (life), John Bennett (life), Brian Cook, Graham Cooper, Craig Purnell, Martin Hagen, Neil Trimble, Brian Millward, Jacqui Upcott, Mike Upcott
Honorary Vice President: Marcus Trescothick MBE

I am not however at all happy with the following list; not least its sheer length:

Bristol Sport Limited

Chairman: Martin Griffiths
Chief Executive: Andrew Billingham
Chief Stadium Operations Officer: Mark Kelly
Chief Communications Officer: Lisa Knights
Head of Communications (Bristol City FC): Adam Baker
Head of Operations: Craig Richardson
Head of Commercial Partnerships: Suzanne Roper  
Head of Marketing: Matthew Joy
Head of Retail: Luke Palmer
Head of Supporter Services: Kay McGinty

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Who's bashing the Board?

Here's the Board of Bristol City and I am entirely satisfied with all of them.  Every one of them has the club's best interests at heart.  I genuinely think this.

Vice Presidents: Betty Rosemary Bennett (life), John Bennett (life), Brian Cook, Graham Cooper, Craig Purnell, Martin Hagen, Neil Trimble, Brian Millward, Jacqui Upcott, Mike Upcott

I am not however at all happy with the following list; not least its sheer length:

Bristol Sport Limited

Probably cost as much as the playing staff. 

Instead of quoting the usual suspects, what about Barry Kilby (Burnley) Huw Jenkins (Swansea), Delia Smith (Norwich) and Marcus Evans (Ipswich Town)?

Not every chairman is a maniac, the truth is there are absolutely loads of them out there doing a far, far better job than ours.

Thanks for the new stadium, but what a shame everything is else is really no better than when dear old Les Kew was in charge, despite the fact that in comparison with the current lot, Les was penniless.

For our next game against Birmingham, the cheapest a thirteen year old fan without a membership and almost certainly no job can get in is £22! And if he wants to sit with his mate in the Dolman, it's £29!

A ten year old in the same scenario is £17 and £20...for a child.

A family of four made up of two adults a 15 and a 13 year old from Birmingham will pay over £100 just to get in, without travel, food or drink.

That is a reason to be really pi$$ed off with the board. 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Massimo Cellino - After Risdale loaned £60 million on future gate receipts and the gamble of Champions league qualification, they didn't.

Pretty good post mate but I think for balance it should be pointed out that Leeds did qualify for the Champions League, and they got to the semi final in 2000/2001 when Ridsdale was Chairman...

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Welcome To The Jungle I ddon't like modern prices either but it seems synonymous with the game. In this country especially unfortunately and exacerbated with FFP.

@Eddie Hitler Bristol Sport thing could pay off commercially maybe so while its not ideal it could be to a benefit in the med-long run.

None of us has the future-seeing ability of a Mystic Meg but to me the whole Bristol Sport set-up screams "Money Pit".

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pretty good post mate but I think for balance it should be pointed out that Leeds did qualify for the Champions League, and they got to the semi final in 2000/2001 when Ridsdale was Chairman...

Yes, that wasn't totally clear. I believe he took out the loan after they had some success in the champions league

M & S sacked their CEO and replaced him at the beginning of January and he made a profit but not deemed a large enough profit.

Not saying that should happen but stating that the business world is cut throat.

Having already pissed off Brentford and Hull earlier in the season, I see our latest target is Colchester.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Welcome To The Jungle I ddon't like modern prices either but it seems synonymous with the game. In this country especially unfortunately and exacerbated with FFP.

@Eddie Hitler Bristol Sport thing could pay off commercially maybe so while its not ideal it could be to a benefit in the med-long run.

No everyone else is not doing it

Below are all our rivals cheapest tickets for the highest price band.

Hull - Under 18: £15     Under 13: £9

Middlesborough - Under 18: £11 

Brighton - Under 18: £18    Under 10: £10

Derby - Under 18: £12      Under 12: £7.50

Burnley - Under 18: £12     Under 12: £7

Sheff Wed - Under 17: £25   Under 11: £21

Birmingham Under 18: £10    Under 13: £5      These prices are Category B as I couldn't find A.

Ipswich Town: Under 16: £10

Cardiff: Under 16: £5

Brentford: Under 18: £8 anywhere in the ground!

I'll stop at the top 10, of those 10, only Sheffield Wednesday are worse than us, but then they have 8 price categories so it is normally less than ours. Our games are always category A so I think you'll find on an average match day, we have higher children's prices than the top 10 of the championship and maybe the highest in the division. 

One more then.

Bristol Rovers: Under 16: £9

In other words a child can watch two Rovers matches and have change left over from a City game.

WELL DONE THE BCFC BOARD!

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

For our next game against Birmingham, the cheapest a thirteen year old fan without a membership and almost certainly no job can get in is £22! And if he wants to sit with his mate in the Dolman, it's £29!

A ten year old in the same scenario is £17 and £20...for a child.

A family of four made up of two adults a 15 and a 13 year old from Birmingham will pay over £100 just to get in, without travel, food or drink.

That is a reason to be really pi$$ed off with the board. 

Given we're 'selling out' every game the club knows it can up the rates on tickets this season as people will buy tickets more than likely. Will be interesting to see the pricing structure next season if we're in this division.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Given we're 'selling out' every game the club knows it can up the rates on tickets this season as people will buy tickets more than likely. Will be interesting to see the pricing structure next season if we're in this division.

It will be, but for now it is disgusting imo.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Instead of quoting the usual suspects, what about Barry Kilby (Burnley) Huw Jenkins (Swansea), Delia Smith (Norwich) and Marcus Evans (Ipswich Town)?

Not every chairman is a maniac, the truth is there are absolutely loads of them out there doing a far, far better job than ours.

Thanks for the new stadium, but what a shame everything is else is really no better than when dear old Les Kew was in charge, despite the fact that in comparison with the current lot, Les was penniless.

Plus we were able to sell the club and bring in players like Joe Jordan, Carl Shutt, Bob Taylor, etc. Etc. 

Now we can't attract anywhere/anyone near that calibre with swathes of money to boot...

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Who's bashing the Board?

Bristol Sport Limited

Oh, give over mate, the only reason this list is so long is because Bristol Sport have almagamated some aspects of every club under the Bristol Sport brand name to SAVE money. That's why BS has a Head of Marketing, Head of Retail etc and BCFC doesn't.

This is something the supporters trust should be highlighting. They were quick enough to shout loud about the non bubble for Cardiff! Would like to see them really get the bit between their teeth for something like this that could have a profound bearing I the game. Could even join forces with other clubs fans?

4 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

Oh, give over mate, the only reason this list is so long is because Bristol Sport have almagamated some aspects of every club under the Bristol Sport brand name to SAVE money. That's why BS has a Head of Marketing, Head of Retail etc and BCFC doesn't.

IM humble O I think SL is bleeding money upon these corporate non-jobs

Why does it benefit Bristol City FC that these people generate multiple valueless videos?

The old nonsense about BRANDING I suspect.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

IM humble O I think SL is bleeding money upon these corporate non-jobs

Why does it benefit Bristol City FC that these people generate multiple valueless videos?

The old nonsense about BRANDING I suspect.

Look at Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona and any other top European clubs. They have all these positions and more.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Who's bashing the Board?

The future of our football club is in the hands of the above.

Of course they have the club's best interests at heart.

The question is, is that enough.

10 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

Look at Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona and any other top European clubs. They have all these positions and more.

These are all massively successful clubs.

We are on the point of going down to the third tier of English football.

At this level they are a massive and pointless waste of money.

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The future of our football club is in the hands of the above.

Of course they have the club's best interests at heart.

The question is, is that enough.

Yes, IMO.

Really they want me there sorting out the Treasury side, but as I wasn't even granted the courtesy of a reply when I applied they can struggle on without me.

I deal with Bond issuance and private placements in the tens of millions, I'm no muppet, yet no interview. Drinking mates only then? 

16 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

There is nothing wrong with the club having  a structure at all, of course not. BUT you have to have the right people in the structure and you have to a plan that can be executed by all. Perhaps only 2 clubs on this list have a clear plan and overall structure which is being executed well- man city and barcelona. I would also add Bayern.  

BCFC have not got a coherent plan and whilst those in positions have the best intent, are they sufficiently knowledgeable about football to take us to the top. I would say not.  Despite SL's millions, only once have we come remotely close to the PL. Most of the time we have yo-yoed from Championship to Lg 1. I think we have had 16 managers since 1990 (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Appalling rate of managers.... We have had minimal success given the amount of money our owner has ploughed in and in my view the investment has not produced a return because of the poor management of the club, which is led by the board.

Why stop bashing the board and for that matter Lansdown the man who only cares about rugby these days why hasn't the board spent any money this January on signings instead we have more loans if you ask me they  should all have got there p45 buy now yes that includes Jon dosent have a clue Lansdown 

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

None of us has the future-seeing ability of a Mystic Meg but to me the whole Bristol Sport set-up screams "Money Pit".

Time will tell I suppose, as you say nobody can predict the future.

I think it has some viability as it's a unique opportunity Bristol Sport, to fully engage the local fan base to tap into it...some like football most of the potential target audience in fact, some like rugby, the next highest and so on.

Cross selling, cross marketing a good product especially the corporate side may make more for sports in Bristol to push on. That would be one of the hopes. Staff numbers, possibly too high, possibly not.

There was an interesting article in the Times around the time we got promoted. My computer is playing up so I can't link it but type in 'Bristol Lansdown Barcelona' and it's one of first search results.

Either way it's an interesting experiment, unsure it's ever been done in UK!

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

Why stop bashing the board and for that matter Lansdown the man who only cares about rugby these days why hasn't the board spent any money this January on signings instead we have more loans if you ask me they  should all have got there p45 buy now yes that includes Jon dosent have a clue Lansdown 

Well we've had at least £4m in bids turned down/players choosing not to come so it's not as if the club is opposed to spending money 

Archived