IGNORED

New manager this week

forbespm

Why not? I've just looked at Sky Bet's odds. 

There are 18 unemployed (or employed by us) names on there. 

Only dithering will prevent an appointment this week. 

There's no point looking at a long term manager when our need is immediate. Plenty of time for a lengthy recruitment process in the summer, if we need it, when we'll know whether it's a second or third level job we've got to fill.  

2 minutes ago, Robbie_Turner said:

Why ? How have you come to that conclusion ?

It's obvious to start with they were looking at people like Pearson and Moyes but they would have been appointed by now if things had worked out. There isn't really anybody else outstanding (Warnock could possibly have a role but not yet), so if they announce shortly then I'm sure it will be Pembo, they might do this now to make it easier to get players in this week.

Basically, if what you've said is true (could well be) it's the same as our player recruitment. 

I wonder whether managers are wary? It's a small world and if Cotts had problems maybe everyone (inside the game) is aware? 

All conjecture and hopefully will be resolved in the next day or two. 

The whole situation and timing remains weird. 

I appreciate what you're saying but, could it be that Moyes, Pearson, Warnock, Harry and JJ are all interested and therefore they are deciding who they actually want ?

I'd be surprised if we get one of the above, the most likely is Warnock but would SL really employ him...I have my reservations, although I personally think he may be the man for the job right now, at least short term. 

If Pembo is appointed, it shows the club dont want to pay the money and have virtually accepted relegation already, IMO.

26 minutes ago, Robbie_Turner said:

I appreciate what you're saying but, could it be that Moyes, Pearson, Warnock, Harry and JJ are all interested and therefore they are deciding who they actually want ?

I'd be surprised if we get one of the above, the most likely is Warnock but would SL really employ him...I have my reservations, although I personally think he may be the man for the job right now, at least short term. 

If Pembo is appointed, it shows the club dont want to pay the money and have virtually accepted relegation already, IMO.

Or could it be that Moyes, Pearson, Warnock, Harry and JJ aren't interested at all and we are trying to find someone else or stick with Pembo?

Surely the big name option has gone.  A few more games have passed and the risk that said manager might have to serve his contract in League 1 begins to grow.

That being the case, the cost risk to us and attractiveness to the manager moves in the wrong direction.

We must have one eye on preparing for League 1.  

17 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Well according to Mr Ashton we would all be "surprised" who was interested in the job. Or words to that affect. Big statement to make, especially if Pembo gets the job. Not a way to get the fans on the side that's for sure.

Yes, but "surprises" can be shockingly unpleasant ones too can't they!

As for names on the betting odds list, well are any of them really likely to be snapped up by other clubs this week? Are there any other club's daft enough to put themselves in the situation of being managerless with only a week left of the transfer window???

So it's Pemberton then :blink:

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

As for names on the betting odds list, well are any of them really likely to be snapped up by other clubs this week? Are there any other club's daft enough to put themselves in the situation of being managerless with only a week left of the transfer window???

With us surprises tend to be unwelcome ones!

Ashton spoke very well & is clearly an intelligent bloke but I just think that's a very brave thing to say, IF it turns out Pemberton is given the job. In fairness he did make it clear they wouldn't be rushed & asked for patience from the fans which to me would be even more baffling should Pembo get the gig.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think it is becoming obvious that within the footballing fraternity, BCFC are not exactly a flavour of the month to other people in it, Mr Ashton may be a great fire fighter and PR man but that does not mean he really knows what he is doing. When I was in Sales in the 60's and 70's I came across many blokes who could talk the talk at interviews and went to a different employer on a regular basis and I wondered how they got the jobs, the penny dropped when I realised they were bullsh****rs and could convince potential employers that they had the 'gift' the employer wanted. Mr Ashton could well be one of these and we will judge him quite quickly here as we try and get out of the mire. Sometimes clubs forget who their supporters are and do so at their peril, for me all I can hope is that we dont go the pembo route ( might as well kept Cotts) and be daring but Hey Ho....this is Bristol City.

4 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

With us surprises tend to be unwelcome ones!

Ashton spoke very well & is clearly an intelligent bloke but I just think that's a very brave thing to say, IF it turns out Pemberton is given the job. In fairness he did make it clear they wouldn't be rushed & asked for patience from the fans which to me would be even more baffling should Pembo get the gig.

I will go on record as saying I'd be amazed if Pemberton becomes the permanent manager of City, Taylor. Being appointed until the end of the season looks highly likely now, but barring a spectacular run of form I'm sure we'll be looking for a new man in the summer.

It's great to have a forum like this to express our opinions.

I don't post too often but I can't help but read it every day because it's become a serious addiction (one that I probably ought to break) and because it makes me chuckle a lot and occasionally laugh out loud so, basically, it just helps cheers me up.

I've been reading all the posts about the potential new Manager/Coach and I was a bit concerned at the lack of respect for Pemberton by some on here ("if he gets the job, we're all doomed"!).

Just like every other City fan/supporter, I want to see the team do well but I think there needs to be a bit of perspective here.

A Board of Directors (whether of a business or a charity or a football club - whatever) just can't operate transparently at all times and especially when it comes to some of the fundamentally important stuff such as the recruitment of key/senior staff. The members of our Board will, like all other Boards, make errors of judgment along the way but, ultimately, the big questions to ask ourselves are;

Do we think that the Board wants the best for Bristol City in the long term?

Do we think that the Board has access to the necessary financial support but also the ability to manage the club wisely to both ensure that we never revert to the days of 1982 and that they can still ultimately take us forward?

If the answer to both of these questions is 'yes', don't we need to let them take their decisions and make their plans quietly before relaying them to the fans  and then see how it all plays out?

Pemberton may not be everyone's favourite but if he is deemed to be the answer for now, so be it and he'll get my full support.

If such an appointment means that we go down to L 1, so be it and whoever is our Manager/Coach next season will also get my full support.

Until such time as we fans/supporters can stump up enough money to buy the club (and then run it successfully), we surely have to have some faith in the people who are doing just that. It might well be a blind faith but what are the alternatives?

We might not like it but no interview panel charged with recruiting a new Manager/Coach  is ever going to have we ordinary fans/supporters on it and neither will an interview panel ever be influenced by a Forum with 500 or so registered Users and 100 or so active Posters of whom only 25 or so are potential dissenters against any personnel appointment that the Board makes.

It's great to debate it mind and, for the record, I think it will be Pemberton/Elliot till the end of the season at least.

Tin hat firmly on!!

2 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

It's great to have a forum like this to express our opinions.

I don't post too often but I can't help but read it every day because it's become a serious addiction (one that I probably ought to break) and because it makes me chuckle a lot and occasionally laugh out loud so, basically, it just helps cheers me up.

I've been reading all the posts about the potential new Manager/Coach and I was a bit concerned at the lack of respect for Pemberton by some on here ("if he gets the job, we're all doomed"!).

Just like every other City fan/supporter, I want to see the team do well but I think there needs to be a bit of perspective here.

A Board of Directors (whether of a business or a charity or a football club - whatever) just can't operate transparently at all times and especially when it comes to some of the fundamentally important stuff such as the recruitment of key/senior staff. The members of our Board will, like all other Boards, make errors of judgment along the way but, ultimately, the big questions to ask ourselves are;

Do we think that the Board wants the best for Bristol City in the long term?

Do we think that the Board has access to the necessary financial support but also the ability to manage the club wisely to both ensure that we never revert to the days of 1982 and that they can still ultimately take us forward?

If the answer to both of these questions is 'yes', don't we need to let them take their decisions and make their plans quietly before relaying them to the fans  and then see how it all plays out?

Pemberton may not be everyone's favourite but if he is deemed to be the answer for now, so be it and he'll get my full support.

If such an appointment means that we go down to L 1, so be it and whoever is our Manager/Coach next season will also get my full support.

Until such time as we fans/supporters can stump up enough money to buy the club (and then run it successfully), we surely have to have some faith in the people who are doing just that. It might well be a blind faith but what are the alternatives?

We might not like it but no interview panel charged with recruiting a new Manager/Coach  is ever going to have we ordinary fans/supporters on it and neither will an interview panel ever be influenced by a Forum with 500 or so registered Users and 100 or so active Posters of whom only 25 or so are potential dissenters against any personnel appointment that the Board makes.

It's great to debate it mind and, for the record, I think it will be Pemberton/Elliot till the end of the season at least.

Tin hat firmly on!!

I think a lot of people are underwhelmed with Pemberton because appointing internally has gone so well in the past...Lumsden, Osman, Tinnion, Millen. A pantheon of mediocrity, and I am sure I have missed some.

WHEN will we ever learn?

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I will go on record as saying I'd be amazed if Pemberton becomes the permanent manager of City, Taylor. Being appointed until the end of the season looks highly likely now, but barring a spectacular run of form I'm sure we'll be looking for a new man in the summer.

As would I kid, but even if he is given it until the end of the season which as you say seems likely, it certainly wouldn't do Ashton a lot of favours in terms of winning the fans trust. I personally don't have the issues some do with the board/SL but this is a major chance for them to win back some credibility. Pemberton, even until the end of the season would send out the wrong message.

2 hours ago, Robbie_Turner said:

Robbie - I'm pretty sure @Harry would take the job if offered! 

Archived