IGNORED

New manager this week

forbespm

2 hours ago, forbespm said:

What a shambles this club is in to have reached this point.sl said after clinching promotion that he had learnt from his mistakes last time in the championship.clearly he hasn't.

SL has learned one lesson from last time: if you're going to go down to L1, go down with a young, spirited squad on reasonable wages, rather than an older, demotivated one on crippling wages. Progress!

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Yes, but "surprises" can be shockingly unpleasant ones too can't they!

As for names on the betting odds list, well are any of them really likely to be snapped up by other clubs this week? Are there any other club's daft enough to put themselves in the situation of being managerless with only a week left of the transfer window???

So it's Pemberton then :blink:

The only club I know daft enough to do that, looking at the track record of the Board and Owner is the one we support unfortunately. How stupid do you have to be, in the first place, to sack a manager halfway through the transfer window with no prospect of an immediate replacement on the horizon? Perhaps the "plan" was to appoint Pemberton all along with the Board frantically trying to pick the right moment and come up with credible "excuses" to justify that decision?

But you never know, they might just surprise us....not holding my breath though.

If we do appoint Pemberton all we can do is get behind him and hope he does the job required. However if he is appointed and things go pear shaped we will have the "emptiest" stadium in League 1 next year (in terms of fans attending to capacity available).

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Surely the big name option has gone.  A few more games have passed and the risk that said manager might have to serve his contract in League 1 begins to grow.

That being the case, the cost risk to us and attractiveness to the manager moves in the wrong direction.

We must have one eye on preparing for League 1.  

11 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

SL has learned one lesson from last time: if you're going to go down to L1, go down with a young, spirited squad on reasonable wages, rather than an older, demotivated one on crippling wages. Progress!

So is this all part of the 5 year master plan to get in the premiership!

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I think a lot of people are underwhelmed with Pemberton because appointing internally has gone so well in the past...Lumsden, Osman, Tinnion, Millen. A pantheon of mediocrity, and I am sure I have missed some.

WHEN will we ever learn?

Never by the looks of it.

I think a lot of people are underwhelmed with Pemberton because appointing internally has gone so well in the past...Lumsden, Osman, Tinnion, Millen. A pantheon of mediocrity, and I am sure I have missed some.

WHEN will we ever learn?

Millen and Osman both saved us from relegation in the season they were appointed (around this time of year), Lumsden also did OK in his first season so your comment is a bit unfair.

Pembo has the advantage of knowing the squad and he's got a lot more coaching experience than all of the others mentioned above had when they were appointed, plus he's been through a relegation fight before (at Palace) as a coach. People are writing him off because we lost one game at Leeds, he has to be given a run of ten games or so before any sort of judgement can be given. I think everyone can see the defence has tightened up as a result of the formation change but our squad is devoid of experienced Championship forwards so we'll struggle unless we can strengthen there. When you look at the last time we escaped relegation (the McInnes period) he had Stead, Baldock, Pitman, Woods, Davies, Albert and Bolasie to choose from whereas Kodjia is the only player of that calibre in our squad (Albie would have been a few years ago but not at the age of 37). The lack of experienced players wouldn't change overnight with a new manager, this is the main problem and has been since the start of the season.

WHEN will we ever learn?

To be fair though, Millen (and I think, though I was extremely young at the time and don't entirely remember, Osman) actually did alright in terms of stablising us until the end of the season.  Tony Fawthrop too for that matter.  And in fact Millen did it twice - when GJ left and when Coppell did.  Our mistakes have been when we've given internal candidates the role on a permanent basis (though even that has to be balanced out by saying we've appointed a fair share of external managers that haven't worked out too!).  I can't actually think of a time when we've given someone internal a job until the end of the season and they've taken us down, even if we probably shouldn't have appointed Millen or Osman for any longer than that. 

46 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Yawn, same old, same old, and if we appoint JP the Daleks will be so upset that they exterminate all human life forms (Thus leaving Gasheads alive).

If SL and the board appoint him, just give JP a chance. 

Gone a bit John Lennon there Chappers...

36 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair though, Millen (and I think, though I was extremely young at the time and don't entirely remember, Osman) actually did alright in terms of stablising us until the end of the season.  Tony Fawthrop too for that matter.  And in fact Millen did it twice - when GJ left and when Coppell did.  Our mistakes have been when we've given internal candidates the role on a permanent basis (though even that has to be balanced out by saying we've appointed a fair share of external managers that haven't worked out too!).  I can't actually think of a time when we've given someone internal a job until the end of the season and they've taken us down, even if we probably shouldn't have appointed Millen or Osman for any longer than that. 

Exactly what I've been saying for a while now and glad to see finally one other person actually understands!

Caretaker no. 2's taking over until the end of the season has worked for us well in the past, simple as that...and it could well be our best option / chance of staying up this time around.

43 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To get some idea about what Osman was like, think of the West Brom game at home, with less than half the crowd (and less goals)

For me the problem is this.......

Once again we've been hyped up with the usual you won't believe who's applied type talk. If you then appoint Pemberton it all looks a bit odd because why would you if there were bigger better proven managers applying.

If JP is appointed be it til the end of the season or for longer I will support him and hope he does well. 

But this leads me to the main problem and the one that seriously grips my sh*t.

If this is what we are going to do STOP making false promises of Premier f*cking league football in the near future. We are never getting there without a proven manager like moves or Pearson or without the players they would attract.

If we hope to achieve mid table championship team then that's fine, but if you're going to keep mentioning the premiership you do not appoint an unproven assistant and treating the fans like idiots.

If we appoint Pemberton and get relegated I really think next season could be very embarrassing with a fabulous new 27,000 seater stadium and not many in it with plenty of fans deciding enough is enough and finding something else to do on a Saturday.

God I hope I'm wrong......

6 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

If we appoint Pemberton and get relegated I really think next season could be very embarrassing with a fabulous new 27,000 seater stadium and not many in it with plenty of fans deciding enough is enough and finding something else to do on a Saturday.

They're crafty mind, Bristol Sport. They might move our games to Sundays

6 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I would rather pull my brain out through my nose with a rusty coat hanger, than go through that dross again (Liverpool excepted).

However at the moment I think the only way we are going to survive is to play that type of football, ie kill games and win by the odd goal, we haven't got the calibre of players to do it any other way

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If anything noteworthy makes your final election manifesto, Mr Trump: please let it be this.

Always bear in mind, Kid, you can't be sure of the tone of things posted on here, and you can't see if there's a tongue in me cheek, or a twinkle in me eye (or a Mexican ironing me shirts...)

Archived