IGNORED

SL to take charge of search for manager

CyderInACan

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

Still, fill it full of 4-star and as long as you go via Biaritz, Gibraltar, Marakesh, Luanda, Brazaville and a remote airstrip in the Cameroonian jungle, you could be back on Bristol from Namibia in under 4 days I reckon

If he was stopping in Cameroon perhaps he has persuaded Roger Milla to play for us, it worked with David James and they're about the same age and  cessna takes 2 people  :whistle:

32 minutes ago, hodge said:

People really think that if we had a few people highlighted earlier as the best options that SL couldn't have been contacted abroad and done initial skype interviews etc until he was back? For me the reason its taking as long as it has it that the club appreciates the need to make sure the appointment is the right one and not to rush it, regardless of the fact we're in January.

SL only has a pay as you go phone.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Personally, I'd rather have the stuffed hedgehog that Aizoon talks to in charge than Neil Warnock...

Not sure I like his enthusiasm for bringing the winter break into English football. I mean five, six, months? Come off it...

27 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

That's precisely what many are not doing. They're comparing what they they've said they want to do with the conspiracy theories about what they think is happening behind the scenes and what they believe might happen in the end. If the appointment is shit, questions should be asked, definitely 

There are no gaurentees in football and £10 million doesn't buy that much these days. Look how much Derby spent and they got beat 4-1 last night and are 5th

Okay. My point was that Redknapp was qualified to do what he said he would do and achieved it. The amount of money as i said was considerable at the time and that was the budget he set. So it's mainly about having a person with the will and requisite knowledge being backed up by the Club. That just doesn't happen at city. Derby County have spent a fortune and have Paul Clement in charge? Going back a bit Bryan Robson spent fortunes wherever he went but didn't have success because he wasn't a good manager despite playing at the highest level.

6 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

If he was stopping in Cameroon perhaps he has persuaded Roger Milla to play for us, it worked with David James and they're about the same age and  cessna takes 2 people  :whistle:

I think Roger Milla now has grandchildren who've retired from playing...

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Okay. My point was that Redknapp was qualified to do what he said he would do and achieved it. The amount of money as i said was considerable at the time and that was the budget he set. So it's mainly about having a person with the will and requisite knowledge being backed up by the Club. That just doesn't happen at city. Derby County have spent a fortune and have Paul Clement in charge? Going back a bit Bryan Robson spent fortunes wherever he went but didn't have success because he wasn't a good manager despite playing at the highest level.

The proof will be in the pudding really. Any  big transfer pot isn't really going to be of too much use until the summer now and if we're not in the championship it won't be available full stop. We'll just have to cross our fingers that the board get the appointment right and do it soon, but I maintain that taking their time was the right thing to do

Come back to me when we appoint some unemployed chancer who could have been in place 10 days ago and I may sing a different tune!

26 minutes ago, Linkedarm wall said:

Or....

1. Realise results aren't going our way.

2. Sound out replacement.

3. Agree deal with new manager, all lined up..........

4. Sack Manager

5. Appoint said new man nicely 2 weeks to go before the transfer deadline

Even less delays.

6. City fans  hate the manager that has been appointed and blames SL/the board or both for not  going through proper process by waiting for applications to see to see what managers are available.

As I often say the club is damnedif it does and damned if it doesn't.

43 minutes ago, hodge said:

People really think that if we had a few people highlighted earlier as the best options that SL couldn't have been contacted abroad and done initial skype interviews etc until he was back? For me the reason its taking as long as it has it that the club appreciates the need to make sure the appointment is the right one and not to rush it, regardless of the fact we're in January.

Ok you mean like all the other un rushed appointments :facepalm: and we need also to make sure any new man has another job waiting for him as he should only expect to be here for 12mths. He also will need to know which of his estimated 1/2 dozen bosses he will have to ask for money to conduct transfers, and if indeed that will be part of his remit

13 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

The proof will be in the pudding really. Any  big transfer pot isn't really going to be of too much use until the summer now and if we're not in the championship it won't be available full stop. We'll just have to cross our fingers that the board get the appointment right and do it soon, but I maintain that taking their time was the right thing to do

Come back to me when we appoint some unemployed chancer who could have been in place 10 days ago and I may sing a different tune!

missed the point again mate

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Now, I've never been to Namibia, so this is a massive assumption here......but can they not facetime or Skype down there?

But tired,lazy hacks from the Evil Post will by pass facts in order to make up their own half baked ideas . That also gives some on here ammunition to launch their own agendas. I doubt if SL went anywhere without the ability to contact anyone in Bristol,either his club or business at any time he needed. 

48 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Still, fill it full of 4-star and as long as you go via Biaritz, Gibraltar, Marakesh, Luanda, Brazaville and a remote airstrip in the Cameroonian jungle, you could be back on Bristol from Namibia in under 4 days I reckon

Preferably in reverse order though.

This is precisely the problem at the heart of our club.

Since when do shareholders - majority or not - take charge of executive decision making? 

Six - soon to be seven managers - in six years.   SL has been in charge of appointments throughout this period and not one of his decisions has lasted more than two seasons.

1 hour ago, shelts said:

It is getting rather tedious hearing nothing but I have faith the board by taking its time will end up with the right manager. We are definitely spoilt for choice as many good names are out of work so I would expect a similar calibre of candidate as when we got Steve Coppell

As Coppell's appointment set us back years I'd hope they'd have learned from the experience!

• Admin
24 minutes ago, fatchers said:

But tired,lazy hacks from the Evil Post will by pass facts in order to make up their own half baked ideas . That also gives some on here ammunition to launch their own agendas. I doubt if SL went anywhere without the ability to contact anyone in Bristol,either his club or business at any time he needed. 

But wouldn't any decent owner want to meet face to face with their new Manager?

Not very professional doing something like that over skype - but then sacking the manager by phone isn't either I guess!

• Admin
54 minutes ago, downendcity said:

6. City fans  hate the manager that has been appointed and blames SL/the board or both for not  going through proper process by waiting for applications to see to see what managers are available.

As I often say the club is damnedif it does and damned if it doesn't.

So we would have to assume that unless Pembo is the best applicant we are going to appoint someone externally - othewise this process has done nothing but waste time?

Or maybe he already knows he's going to get the job, which is why Gladwin was happy to sign when he mentioned he wanted assurances about our new manager before committing to us?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

But wouldn't any decent owner want to meet face to face with their new Manager?

Not very professional doing something like that over skype - but then sacking the manager by phone isn't either I guess!

To be clear, on my original post about Skype / facetime, I wasn't suggesting that SL was involved with the interview in that way, but 'touching base' with minnions back home seems like a fair assumption to make

Archived