IGNORED

What's next for Nathan Baker?

allyolly

1 hour ago, tommy32 said:

Player of the season after Korey this year (not much competition I admit!).  Can be rash at times but great in the air, calm on the ball, committed and always gives 100%. Hope we sign him in the summer. 

He certainly looks assured at the back and that must have a calming influence on the whole team. Very solid most of the time.

As for calm on the ball -  Not sure I've seen him kick it all that many times! He's no nonsense, wins it and clears danger with his head 90% of the time, which is exactly what we need right now.

A few times vs Boro and WBA he had an age to bring it down and start something from the back, but headed it up and away instead. 

i wonder whether that's room for improvement or that's his tactical instruction?

45 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

He certainly looks assured at the back and that must have a calming influence on the whole team. Very solid most of the time.

As for calm on the ball -  Not sure I've seen him kick it all that many times! He's no nonsense, wins it and clears danger with his head 90% of the time, which is exactly what we need right now.

A few times vs Boro and WBA he had an age to bring it down and start something from the back, but headed it up and away instead. 

i wonder whether that's room for improvement or that's his tactical instruction?

That's true; in terms of calm on the ball I mean when he has the ball at his feet he never looks rushed or likely to panic and often plays a simple ball to a wing back or into midfield rather than trying anything too ambitious. 

I think he knows his game and doesn't try to over complicate things; more of a traditional centre back! 

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Saturday 5th December against Blackburn getting sent off after two yellow cards,I'll keep my thoughts in my head

He should have been sent off by half time!

He does look composed though and seems to have plenty of time on the ball, his injuries worry me the most. But I think I would sign him.

My new man crush (sorry Aden)

A proper defender as others have said, iv lost count the amount of times he's made a crunching tackle and reminded me of the days when 'tackling' was an art form, whereas now most can be deemed a foul. 

Yes he can be rash at times but a 100% committed Baker tackle/foul is 10x better than the powder puff attempted tackles I see Williams do most games, has more quality on the ball than Flint and probably more of a presence too. 

Would love it if we could sign him as he would be brilliant alongside a more agile ball playing defender 

I really can't understand how you can say will there be anymore game time for Baker? He is the best defender at the club, countless times he has put his body on the line, a great battler, strong in the air, loves a big challenge, and hardly makes any mistakes.

We'd be lucky to keep him in the summer.

The tackle that got him booked at Leeds was actually a fantastic challenge and he won the ball - plenty of Leeds fans I know thought that too, but sadly it's touch and go as to whether you get a booking for dynamic, fully committed tackling nowadays.  That turned the tide somewhat for him in that game, red did look inevitable and it was right to sub him at half time.  I wouldn't want him to curb the commitment he shows.

A decent defender in the Championship albeit with a hot head which he will do well to temper because opposing teams will exploit that weakness. What holds back his Prem potential, IMO is his distribution. In the Prem these days it's all about possession and his tendency to "just get rid of the ball" once he's won it will count against him at a higher level. It may be that he's merely playing to orders but I do feel it's his natural way of playing. However he has far more plusses than negatives where we are concerned, right now.

Very very good player, calm on the ball and deserves to be playing next to Flint, only problem is he can't help making silly tackles in non-dangerous situations and if he gets booked before half time you wouldn't trust him to stay on the pitch for 90 minutes

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Never a premiership player, he's just a head, hoof and clear player. 

So you've never looked at his positional sense then, which often sees him able to intercept danger, cover two attackers at the same time when others are badly out of position?

The number of times he heads clear and still marks two attackers isn't a coincidence.

He can be reckless at times but he is certainly the type of quality we need to stay up.

2 hours ago, YorksRed said:

The tackle that got him booked at Leeds was actually a fantastic challenge and he won the ball - plenty of Leeds fans I know thought that too, but sadly it's touch and go as to whether you get a booking for dynamic, fully committed tackling nowadays.  That turned the tide somewhat for him in that game, red did look inevitable and it was right to sub him at half time.  I wouldn't want him to curb the commitment he shows.

I might be wrong but wasn't the booking for the challenge on the half way line? The ref played advantage before then giving a foul for what I agree looked a fantastic tackle. The ref seemed to gesture back to the half way line when booking him.

Either way it was a matter of time as the ref had already given him a talking to prior to that.

2 hours ago, brad blit said:

My new man crush (sorry Aden)

A proper defender as others have said, iv lost count the amount of times he's made a crunching tackle and reminded me of the days when 'tackling' was an art form, whereas now most can be deemed a foul. 

Yes he can be rash at times but a 100% committed Baker tackle/foul is 10x better than the powder puff attempted tackles I see Williams do most games, has more quality on the ball than Flint and probably more of a presence too. 

Would love it if we could sign him as he would be brilliant alongside a more agile ball playing defender 

Brad, you have a new man crush every week!!!'

10 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I might be wrong but wasn't the booking for the challenge on the half way line? The ref played advantage before then giving a foul for what I agree looked a fantastic tackle. The ref seemed to gesture back to the half way line when booking him.

Either way it was a matter of time as the ref had already given him a talking to prior to that.

Ah, you're probably right about which of many tackles resulted in the caution and as you said it was only a matter of time!

Great ability, very talented defender. BUT have my doubts as to whether or not he is that focused on keeping us in the championship down to the fact that some of his challenges are downright irresponsible and also the fact he goes off injured too much (although maybe the last part is harsh).

10 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Great ability, very talented defender. BUT have my doubts as to whether or not he is that focused on keeping us in the championship down to the fact that some of his challenges are downright irresponsible and also the fact he goes off injured too much (although maybe the last part is harsh).

I hope your not referring to the Borough game on this one!

Yes he needs to watch his discipline but at least its shows a bit of passion and aggression. He is a quality defender imo and it is no coincidence that we have tightened up significantly as he has settled into the side. I would welcome him coming on board permanently if that was to happen at seasons end.

Archived