IGNORED

What a difference a month makes

BigAl&Toby

Was it a month ago we had SC? I wondered how he'd have approached today?

Different players. Different approach. Different tactics. Different all round.

We're a world apart now. And for the first time in weeks I genuinely think we will stay up.

Looking forward to trips to Charlton and MK Dons. Even if I've not yet broken the news to my better half :whistle:

4 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

We're a world apart now. And for the first time in weeks I genuinely think we will stay up.

Looking forward to trips to Charlton and MK Dons. Even if I've not yet broken the news to my better half :whistle:

Different result?

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Different result?

Little steps in the right direction...we aren't conceding for fun anymore.

Way more solid and still creating chances.

We aren't going to start winning games overnight. w1 d1 L1 since Pembo took over...conceded just 2 goals in the league. Compare that to 7 goals conceded in the last 3 league games under SC.

Even if we were doing well...you'd have taken 4 points from 9 against the last three teams we've played against.

We aren't going to come into 'Promotion' type form all of a sudden, lets be realistic here.

We are far better since SC left.

Without a striker who is capable of taking some of the chances we create game after game then we have no chance of staying up.At £2million I was hoping Kodjia would have settled in and be converting some of his chances but it clearly isn't going to happen.Let's hope for someone in by Monday night.

15 minutes ago, frenchred said:

No steps for me, same old same old

We have a goalkeeper who travels more than three yards off his line to claim a high ball....that's a step in the right direction.

We have tightened up massively at the back.....that's a step in the right direction.

Our midfield isn't getting pulled all over the shop....another step in the right direction.

We don't have anyone who is clinical in the box....same old, same old.

Seems obvious to me what we have to do.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

We aren't going to start winning games overnight. w1 d1 L1 since Pembo took over...conceded just 2 goals in the league. Compare that to 7 goals conceded in the last 3 league games under SC.

Even if we were doing well...you'd have taken 4 points from 9 against the last three teams we've played against.

We aren't going to come into 'Promotion' type form all of a sudden, lets be realistic here.

If we could take 1w, 1d, 1l for the remainder of the season, we'd get (including today because it makes the maths easier) 24 points from 18 games, and a total of 48 points.  That could well be enough.  That is low middle table form.  I think that is achievable.  Need to make sure that we don't lose to the sides around us.  Wins against those would feel like extra points though.

We also have a bit of depth to change games.

36 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

What? 

We aren't leaking goals. We look solid. We make the right substitutions at the right time.

Christ we've even made some decent signings.

Same old. Hardly.

Nah your right, are we back to the dreariness and parking the bus.

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

Point being we should have beat Leeds and Brum with a championship or even top 1st div goal-scorer we would have done these 2 games alone were 4 pts dropped not 2 gained. We are trying to stay up on the cheap.

We are not that far better until we until we start taking our chances, and we had better hurry up before they run out.

We will have to spend in the summer window so why delay it, its like us saying we aren't going to buy a st until we know what div we will be in; a small few may wait but most will buy regardless of the division we are in.

41 minutes ago, Super said:

I Thought defensively we were excellent today as we were against Boro, but unless we find a striker who can put the ball in the net we will go down.

Unless we find TWO strikers we are doomed. 

Should have been our top priority in the Summer, Autumn and start of January. Still waiting and watching all those missed chances and points sail by. The games are now starting to run out. 

Incompetence of the highest order. 

11 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Point being we should have beat Leeds and Brum with a championship or even top 1st div goal-scorer we would have done these 2 games alone were 4 pts dropped not 2 gained. We are trying to stay up on the cheap.

We are not that far better until we until we start taking our chances, and we had better hurry up before they run out.

We will have to spend in the summer window so why delay it, its like us saying we aren't going to buy a st until we know what div we will be in; a small few may wait but most will buy regardless of the division we are in.

With respect fella...I really do think you are living in the land of make believe.

You could throw all the money we have at a new striker...but who's going to come here? You name a Striker which you want, that would come here with the position we are in.

What Striker would sign a contract knowing he could be playing League 1 football for the next couple years?

Maybe we could get some loans in...but of the quality you are expecting is rubbish. We tried paying big bucks for Gayle and Grey...they didn't want to come....so saying we are doing it on the cheap is ridiculous.

You don't seem to fathom how difficult signing these type of players is...little ol' Bristol City in the bottom three isn't attractive....regardless of money.

As for your parking the bus and boring football....really?

SC's last three games

Preston Shots on target 5 City 2

Reading Shots on target 3 City 0

Burnley Shots on target 4 City 3

Under Pembo

Boro shots on target 2 City 5

Leeds Shots on target 1 City 3

Brum shots on target 2 City 5

Think you are seeing it totally different to what the facts show.

4 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Should have been our top priority in the Summer, Autumn and start of January. Still waiting and watching all those missed chances and points sail by. The games are now starting to run out. 

Spot on, we still search for that bargain :facepalm: 

12 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Point is, if you look at fan forum after fan forum in this league, they are all crying out for a striker. They are just not that easy to find.

50/50 for me if we stay up. Even if we play midtable football from here on in, it is going to be very tight, and might just come down to a point or two either way. New manager seems to have settled Charlton down, so nothing is going to be easy. If all this had happened at the start of the season, would be feeling pretty confident.

Played a mid premier side, two good and one average championship sides and conceeded two goals. Might be boring, but that is a start. Simply cannot go in to every game thinking we need three to win, however good our strikers. Of course goals have dried up, but they pretty much had anyway.

Given ourselves a chance in my book. Next week we play Charlton, Bolton play Rotherham. Going to be a key month coming up. Hope it goes our way, and there is hope.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

With respect fella...I really do think you are living in the land of make believe.

You could throw all the money we have at a new striker...but who's going to come here? You name a Striker which you want, that would come here with the position we are in.

What Striker would sign a contract knowing he could be playing League 1 football for the next couple years?

Maybe we could get some loans in...but of the quality you are expecting is rubbish. We tried paying big bucks for Gayle and Grey...they didn't want to come....so saying we are doing it on the cheap is ridiculous.

You don't seem to fathom how difficult signing these type of players is...little ol' Bristol City in the bottom three isn't attractive....regardless of money.

As for your parking the bus and boring football....really?

SC's last three games

Preston Shots on target 5 City 2

Reading Shots on target 3 City 0

Burnley Shots on target 4 City 3

Under Pembo

Boro shots on target 2 City 5

Leeds Shots on target 1 City 3

Brum shots on target 2 City 5

Think you are seeing it totally different to what the facts show.

We could get anyone but impose limits, which put players off; having a 100 shots is no good if none hit the back of the net; we need a proven goalscorer or we are going down

7 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Yep, agreed.at least two strikers is what's needed.

Kodjia has missed more chances in half a season than Ian Baird did in his entire career!

For all his skill and endeavour he's no left foot and makes the wrong options.

Both him and Burbs will come in the the long run, however we need a proven goal scorer who can hit the deck running and I can't see one coming in by the end of the window, unless we are working on a couple of £6m bids as we speak.

heres for hoping.

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

We could get anyone but impose limits, which put players off; having a 100 shots is no good if none hit the back of the net; we need a proven goalscorer or we are going down

Sorry mate...total bollox...you seriously think we could get anyone...regardless of wages?

Drives me mad this type of mentality...absolutely clueless...sorry if that sounds offensive, but I feel sorry for our Club when some of it's fans think it's that simple.

Agree with many comments on here.  

One striker unlikely to do it.  We need two

Still don't believe Smith is the messiah.  

Think we should be looking for hungry young strikers in leagues below us, who have no fear and carry no baggage. If Smith comes the expectations of him will be wildly beyond what he can deliver.  Not even match fit

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Sorry mate...total bollox...you seriously think we could get anyone...regardless of wages?

Drives me mad this type of mentality...absolutely clueless...sorry if that sounds offensive, but I feel sorry for our Club when some of it's fans think it's that simple.

It ain't simple. We've had since last April though to sort our goal scorer crisis. The sum total of our scouting effort  is a £2.5 million 'punt' on an equivalent to an English League 2 forward. 

Meanwhile our relegation rivals are scoring for fun. 

Bristol mentality I fear, no urgency to act until beyond crisis point. 

What a difference a month does make! Today was the first time this season I watched the lads and thought there was a slight, if only slight, hint at positivity around the three filled stands of Ashton Gate. We have new signings, Golbourne looked assured and Tomlin had that touch of lass our creative players have lacked this season. Long may the rejuvenated City continue. I'd also like to say how different a player Luke Freeman looks playing out wide, for me he was superb today.

15 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

It ain't simple. We've had since last April though to sort our goal scorer crisis. The sum total of our scouting effort  is a £2.5 million 'punt' on an equivalent to an English League 2 forward. 

Meanwhile our relegation rivals are scoring for fun. 

Bristol mentality I fear, no urgency to act until beyond crisis point. 

True...but it is what it is...you can only react to the circumstances we have right now...not what we should have done...it's been done to death how we bollocked up in the summer.

Right now, we are in the relegation zone with a limited amount of time to recruit.

You can only deal with the present...not the past.

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

We're the massive Bristol City don't you know...

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I just don't share your optimism. Now 1 goal in 4 games since SC left. We're at about the same level, although at least the Golbourne/Tomlin signings this week have provided a boost.

Still much more needs to be done, signings and a new manager is required, no time left to waste.

Archived