IGNORED

O'Donnell

man in the middle

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think he's enjoying it here because he's playing, first up; and because we are defending well; but also, because he is here, in the Championship, and not at Walsall, in L1. Or Stockport on loan. Or Chesterfield. Or Macclesfield on loan. Or Alfreton or Grimsby on loan. Or any of the other lower and non-league places he has been loaned out to. 

Do we need to ask why he has spent all this time at a lower level?

No obviously we should make a knee jerk reaction based off of 5 games and then moan at him as soon as he loses a bit of form.

That said it's certainly another +1 from me right now. The guy's attitude seems brilliant and his keeping is none too shabby as well. Very impressed so far.

The one downer worth noting is that he apparently lost all confidence at Wigan and then ultimately lost his place.

Has hardly had a save to make in recent games so his shot stopping MIGHT not be up to scratch, remember Elliott Parish? 

But on the basis of so far he looks excellent, assuming he can keep it up then signing him should be a no brainier.

11 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think he's enjoying it here because he's playing, first up; and because we are defending well; but also, because he is here, in the Championship, and not at Walsall, in L1. Or Stockport on loan. Or Chesterfield. Or Macclesfield on loan. Or Alfreton or Grimsby on loan. Or any of the other lower and non-league places he has been loaned out to. 

Sorry I forgot Ben Foster played for Tiverton, couldn't get a game with us and played for Wrexham too and England as well

12 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

All very good points.

I think the bottom line is that he's here, he's doing a great job, we need a steady GK be it first or second choice and unlike many of our targets- he clearly wants to be here and has bought in to BCFC.

Just because he's currently in the job does not mean that Frank is no longer first choice. How fantastic to have a situation where two players will be fiercely competing for the same spot. To the victor goes the spoils. Surely retaining his services long term is a no brainer?

I think the save yesterday confirmed that he is a good 'keeper, up until now he hasn't really had anything that testing, All the other parts of his game were there for all to see, now we know he is a shot stopper too.

I have always said my only real issue with Frank is his size, but that seems to affect key parts of his game such as coming for crosses. I thought the white kit was giving me a false impression of  ROD's (you do call him ROD don't you?) size until I saw him chatting to Flint and Baker and realised he wasn't being talked down to.

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

People don't seem to be understanding as to what 'view to a permanent deal' means in football. We have first dibs on him and a fee would've already been agreed, they must accept that fee, for them to accept from elsewhere O'Donnell has to reject us.

Well let's get it tied up tomorrow and freeing up space for another loan player in the match day squad. Complete no brainer for me. 

Strange isn't it but he has only been here 2 minutes and has won us all over -- keeper wise, personality wise, commitment to the cause etc. If he has overcome his tendency to lose confidence fantastic for him first of all and hopefully for us.

When Hamer came into the squad -- yes he did have a great game or two but I just felt nervous as the ball approached the area -- OD just seems to give confidence to the team and the crowd......and yes it is early days but he does look the real McCoy.

It has been a long time since we have had a gk we had confidence in. Hope it works for him and for us.

11 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

People don't seem to be understanding as to what 'view to a permanent deal' means in football. We have first dibs on him and a fee would've already been agreed, they must accept that fee, for them to accept from elsewhere O'Donnell has to reject us.

Sorry but it doesn't have to mean that whatsoever. It could simply mean come here so we can assess without anything like first dibs or a pre agreed fee. Even if we have there's no way Wigan wouldn't reserve the right to accept a higher offer. That would just be stupid on their part. 

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Sorry but it doesn't have to mean that whatsoever. It could simply mean come here so we can assess without anything like first dibs or a pre agreed fee. Even if we have there's no way Wigan wouldn't reserve the right to accept a higher offer. That would just be stupid on their part. 

You obviously must know more than me then. Do you have experience working within football at a football league level?

The man jumped into the South Stand and celebrated with the fans when we scored against Boro, which was his first game here. Seems like a top top bloke that has a real passion for the game, and actually wants to be here. Besides that, he's played faultlessly and has impressed everyone!

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

13 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Not disputing the view of what we usually expect 'view of a permanent deal' to mean....but is that applicable to ROD?

Here's what I saw on BEP (no laughing) quoting SC;

"He's joined us until the end of the season and we'll see where we go from there. In the meantime we need to get Frankie fit as soon as possible

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY-TRANSFER-LATEST-Robins-sign-Wigan/story-28510986-detail/story.html#ixzz3yrsoUwPG 
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

it only said '....we'll see where we go from here'.

has 'view to permanent deal' been mentioned anywhere else?

17 hours ago, 29AR said:

Looks like I was correct after all.

Archived