IGNORED

team for saturday

Healeyred96

O'Donnell

Little         Flint         Baker     Golbourne

Smith      Pack

Freeman            Gladwin        Tomlin

Kodjia      

Subs O'Leary Pearce Williams Reid   Bryan Wilbraham Agard

left out Burns  Wagstaff

4 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I'd personally like to see Bryan start. It will be good to see him in more of an attacking role with less of a defensively responsibility than he usually has.

dont know how long it takes but id rather JB gets time off to fully recover from that knee injury. much more effective when he is 100%.Golborne is more than good enough to cover for him

58 minutes ago, roe said:

Why would you drop Flint?

I'd consider it. Along with Little. I'm not convinced that either are good enough. 

Flint is reasonable in the air and a threat at set pieces but only seems to be able to use his right foot. 

He made a great run towards the corner flag in the first half on Saturday but with the ball in danger of going beyond the goal line tried some sort of cross between a karate kick and a bicycle kick to cross the ball with his right foot.

If we want a stopping centre back who can off load the ball with only one foot then Aden's your man.

Little wouldn't look out of place on The Downs. Too easily turned and seems slow to read the game.

My heart is in my mouth whenever either are put under pressure.

The back line is already written in stone, unless there is an injury.

Flint and Baker have developed a good partnership Goldbourne is a certain starter and all the time you have Tomlin its likely Little will play.

The rest of the team I'm confident will be as stated above, however Pembo likes Reid so that is the big doubt as to who starts. The subs well, we will see, but Wilbo, Agard, Williams if fit, O'leary and Pierce you gotta think will be there plus either Reid or Gladwin...

ROD

Little       Flint       Baker      Golbourne

Freeman    Reid     Smith    Pack    Tomlin

Kodjia

Can't see him changing the team from Saturday.

Tomlin has to play behind Kodjia.

I thought Tomlin looked excellent first half against B'ham, always looking for that killer pass that no one else in our team can see. Also had a great first touch and a couple of nice skills. A bit quicker than he looks too! Just think he's massively wasted out wide.

Freeman on the other hand showed glimpses of his old self out on the wing again Brum I think. Hope we see him start on the right again as he was looking quite effective cutting in on his stronger foot.

That leaves Gladwin and Bryan to fight it out for the left wing, either of which I'd be happy with. I think having Tomlin next to him would bring the best out of Joe again. 

Will this happen though? You can bet your ass it won't. We've got one of the best CAM's / strikers in the league in Tomlin so let's stick him on the wing again...

4 hours ago, Healeyred96 said:

O'Donnell

Smith      Pack

Kodjia      

left out Burns  Wagstaff

I would take this. Maybe swap burns for agard/wilbraham

ROD

Little   Pearce   Baker   Golbourne

Pack    Smith

Agard   Tomlin   Freeman

Kodjia

Don't trust Flints ability excluding his head, besides he needs a rest and we haven't seen Pearce's ability.

Agard has always been a right sided attacking player. RW/RF whatever you want to call it.

Freeman has always been a left sided midfielder. Excluding both players playing for us of course.

4 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

dont know how long it takes but id rather JB gets time off to fully recover from that knee injury. much more effective when he is 100%.Golborne is more than good enough to cover for him

JB is not going to be competing for the LB spot. He'll be in front of Golbourne.

14 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

ROD

Little Flint Baker Golbourne

Pack Smith

Freeman Tomlin Bryan

Kodjia

Which ever set up we go for, we need to start playing the ball on the floor much more. We saw glimpses of that against b'ham where Tomlin linked up with Reid on a couple of occasions. Kodjia Is no good in the air, pretty much every lofted pass to him on the weekend went way above his head (with the exception of the one from Tomlin which he managed to run on to. When the ball is played to Kodjia's feet he's generally very good at holding it up due to his strength. One thing that has griped me all season is our lack of movement for throw ins, 90% of the time we're far to slow to throw the ball in, and quite often lose it to the opposition, and what tipped this off for me was the foul throw in from Williams a couple of games back, I literally had my head in my hands with embarrassment. 

Having said that, I've been very pleased with how solid we now look, and i'm glad we've seemingly sorted out our defensive issues, bringing in SG is a big boost to the back four and I thought he had a very good second debut. I, like many, am disappointed that we didn't sign a midfielder or a striker yesterday, but fairly confident we can get in a striker on loan (possibly of a better pedigree than what we could have bought on a perm). That does leave an issue of having to risk the midfield situation, losing Korey would be a bigger blow than any right now. I am confident we can push on and out of the bottom three before the last game of the season (with a bit of luck). 

I think Shtanley's team suggestion is the one to go for (and If JB isn't going to be fit enough then have Gladwin in).

Going for a 1-2 City win, let's think positive! 

COYR

Freeman included in lots of these squad suggestions. I'm not starting anything,  I'm just assuming he must have had a good game v Brum? Glad to hear it.

I've not seen Tomlin play yet but we most certainly need support to the striker, assuming Kodjia to start. He's been so isolated, and expected to beat two centre backs every time he gets the ball. One up top is not the answer for me at all.

From what ive heard about Tomlin he doesn't have much of an engine. I'd give him a free role, with the other supporting midfielders ready and willing to push on and drop back accordingly. 

I think a bit of pace to support Kodjia on quick breakaways, with Tomlins eye for a quick ball would be perfect. Wes or Agard could do this.

There's a part of me that says swap Baker for Pearce, as Baker had a 30 minute spell on Saturday either side of half-time where his yellow card put our earlier endeavours at risk.

He really needs to curb the additional recklessness that has crept into his game of late.  He always played a bit on the edge, but he has gone too far of late.  In fairness for the last 25 mins he got his head back on it and dominated, but I feared we would be down to 10 men again before that.

So the eleven posted by the OP is what I'd go for:

5 hours ago, Healeyred96 said:

O'Donnell

Smith      Pack

Kodjia      

left out Burns  Wagstaff

With Baker / Pearce the only debate to start.

I think Tomlin might need another game on the left to get really sharp before coming into the slot behind Kodjia.  I thought Golbourne and him forged a good relationship down that side, as did Little and Freeman down the other.  I can see Gladwin and Tomlin mixing it up a bit as well.

I think it played out a bit 4141 on Saturday, Marlon wasn't totally holding was he?

After last Saturday I'd say 10 of the starting line up are certs.

Same keeper and back four (no way should we alter our CBs when we've finally stopped conceding goals and aren't playing two games a week).

In midfield Smith, Pack and Tomlin are nailed on whilst Freeman appears to be an automatic choice when available.

Not a fan of asking Kodjia to play the lone striker role but Wilbraham is not mobile enough to do so, so he will.

That leaves Reid, who in my opinion is too lightweight to play away from home, so I'd like to see Gladwin start, but it may well be Bryan instead.

Kodjia could well be up against Fanni (yes its a footballers name and one of 5 new recruits for them)  French international defender, played hundreds of games for French lique1 side Marseille winning cups etc in Europe.......at least he will have someone to talk to up front on his own and a hard day to look forward to :fear:

Archived