IGNORED

Ashton tells it like it is .

Major Isewater

From the Post 

: "I like to plan ahead, to do my business early and to work in an organised and coordinated manner " 

Not like the amateurish way we worked before  .:punish:

I like the sound of that .

Go Mark ! 

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY-Goals-priority-loan-window-reopens/story-28653906-detail/story.html#ixzz3z5ZcKFMP 
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Good soundbite,, also a load of b.s.

The days of me believing any of the rubbish the board come out with are long gone. Useless idiot.

We have made more signings, both permanent and on loan in the short period he has been here than we managed in the 9 months before. You're right though, useless.........

1 minute ago, fatchers said:

So while we were waiting expecting a much needed Striker to be signed on transfer deadline day he signs a     Goalkeeper.  Where is the manager  he was supposed to be bringing in ? Looking for our Missing Striker ? Same old same old.

Yes, because as we are Bristol City and all we have to do is snap our fingers and things fall into place......it's as easy as that....isn't it? 

7 minutes ago, fatchers said:

So while we were waiting expecting a much needed Striker to be signed on transfer deadline day he signs a     Goalkeeper.  Where is the manager  he was supposed to be bringing in ? Looking for our Missing Striker ? Same old same old.

A good goalkeeper that has impressed everyone and gives us competition and cover. Also freed up what may be proved to be a vital loan slot.

29 minutes ago, simon uk said:

The days of me believing any of the rubbish the board come out with are long gone. Useless idiot.

a COO doesn't sit on the board, especially not in football.  

It's almost as if people make comments about organisational structure without the relevant knowledge of same.

13 minutes ago, fatchers said:

So while we were waiting expecting a much needed Striker to be signed on transfer deadline day he signs a     Goalkeeper.  Same old same old.

Should we not have signed O'Donnell then? I don't think signing a keeper who has played well for us in his few appearances so far prevented us from signing a striker tbh mate...

Two separate issues.

46 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Best they stay shtum then Simon , then fans can criticise the club for not communicating with fans!

19 minutes ago, JM91 said:

a COO doesn't sit on the board, especially not in football.  

It's almost as if people make comments about organisational structure without the relevant knowledge of same.

OTIB Rule 4(b)

Having knowledge about an issue is not a pre-requisite for commenting on it.

Not a fan of the modern corporate bull**** and yet to be convinced on MA or the new head coach ethos,  but time will tell

However IMO the massive hole that had been dug and we found ourselves in was NOT his making and considering he came in earlier than planned I think like many realistic others that he (And JP) have done pretty well.

The lack of a striker is dissapointing but we were one of many clubs chasing 'that striker' , most far more attractive moves than us and virtually no one managed a decent signing so what were we realistically expecting.

Back in Nov / Dec when many were predicting that the Jan window will be our saviour and SL would splash the cash - Always thought that was never going to happen in the way aimed seem to predict / hope

SL certainly appears to have tried and backed MA / JP (Anyone who thinks Darren Bent would rush to come here whether we paid his wages or not is naive IMO ) (Cue Bent to arrive in 10 days !) and the problems that exist are not because of the Jan window but poor recruitment strategy with any forward planning , since summer of 14

That has been done to death,  but it is those involved and at collective blame  for  the mess,  that was allowed to get increasingly worse, NOT Mark Ashton for not solving all the problems in a few January weeks.

As my opening , Corporate managers are not my thing but I have to be fair MA hasn't done too much wrong to date IMO and appears to have 'got busy'

I will continue to watch his actions and impact carefully , but ultimately as we all  are , a lover of my club , I will him to succeed , and have to be fair I quite like what he's said and more importantly done, to date

Think @spudski has a good point re KB and whether MA works with him or we see changes - will be interesting

51 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We have made more signings, both permanent and on loan in the short period he has been here than we managed in the 9 months before. You're right though, useless.........

I agree, but then there's the question of why? Was it down to Mr Ashton (very possibly it was/is that simple) or was it down to a fractured relationship between some people at the club (maybe it was, in part at least?) or was it something else.

It was only 9 months ago that Keith Burt could walk on water on this forum. Now he's useless in some quarters.

I think it's too early to judge/credit Mr Ashton. FWIW I like his soundbites. I like the actions so far, but I'm not convinced that they should be credited to him necessarily.

MA has recent history with the club as a consultant. He helped build the squad that won League 1 last term.

At the time I gave the credit to Cotts for what was a great summer of signings for our club. Now with hindsight I have to question how much Cotts had to do with it and how much was MA.

Without MA this summer we did nothing. Now he's back and he's made signings that have made an immediate impact. Imagine what it will be like when we stay up and have him for the summer window!

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Is that even true though?

Signings with Cotterill (8):
Kodjia, Fredericks (ugh), Hamer, Baker, Cox, Moore, Bennett, O'Donnell

Signings since he went (4):
Golbourne, Pearce, Gladwin, Tomlin

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

From the Post 

: "I like to plan ahead, to do my business early and to work in an organised and coordinated manner " 

Not like the amateurish way we worked before  .:punish:

I like the sound of that .

Go Mark ! 

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY-Goals-priority-loan-window-reopens/story-28653906-detail/story.html#ixzz3z5ZcKFMP 
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

When do you do your business, Major? And are you as coordinated in doing your business as you used to be?

"But we are not in the business of bringing in players for the sake of it or to merely bolster the squad. The requirement now is for Championship experience and a player who can come in and improve the starting eleven."

Pretty sure Cotterill said exactly that back in the summer.

1 minute ago, roe said:

Your point falls a bit flat when 6 of those 8 are no longer here, either because they have returned to their parent clubs, moved on permanently somewhere else, or in Fredericks case went running home back to London after 5 minutes.

On a separate point, people moaning about a decent striker not coming here, how many "decent" strikers of note actually moved at all? I'm looking at the list of players that moved, and not including the Prem, nobody really jumps out. Surely that tells you something?

As for people moaning about the O Donnell deal, if it wasn't for him signing then, we wouldn't even have a space for a loan striker now (if you include the loans in the first team). Him signing permanently frees up a loan space in the match day squad, without having to worry about juggling the loans around. No brainer to me.

5 minutes ago, roe said:

Kodjia and Baker are the only ones still here. O'Donnell might or might not have signed permanently if he had stayed, but I think it would be fairer to put him in the second camp along with Garita and two others (sorry names escape me) for the development squad.  One has to wonder whether Cox Moore and Robinson (who we had all forgotten and should go in the first list) were his signings judging by the way they were treated.

Even allowing for the fact that maybe the numbers favour Cotts, it's still a good return in a short time would you agree?

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

Your point falls a bit flat when 6 of those 8 are no longer here, either because they have returned to their parent clubs, moved on permanently somewhere else, or in Fredericks case went running home back to London after 5 minutes.

The only point he was making was numbers, and he was right.

4 minutes ago, roe said:

"But we are not in the business of bringing in players for the sake of it or to merely bolster the squad. The requirement now is for Championship experience and a player who can come in and improve the starting eleven."

Pretty sure Cotterill said exactly that back in the summer.

And Cotterill was right then as Ashton is now. The difference being Ashton doesn't have to rely on incompetent people to make it happen, he can do it himself.

27 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

At the time I gave the credit to Cotts for what was a great summer of signings for our club. Now with hindsight I have to question how much Cotts had to do with it and how much was MA.

Behave yourself. I'd suggest it was complete bollocks embellished by the club to help warm up the reception for Ashton. If you think Cotts had nothing to do with it then you're more than a little on the silly side. 

43 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

MA has recent history with the club as a consultant. He helped build the squad that won League 1 last term.

Without MA this summer we did nothing. Now he's back and he's made signings that have made an immediate impact. Imagine what it will be like when we stay up and have him for the summer window!

Hi Mark.... Welcome to the forum. Dont think you should be drinking for breakfast tho.

As @roe points out, the comments from Mark Ashton are quite contradictory both in of themselves and relative to the idea this is some new philosophy over Cotterill. The quote used at the start of this thread sounds promising but read the accompanying article, and Ashton's full remarks contradict themselves quite readily.

It's not clear to me why some of what he says didn't apply to achieving progress by Monday, (ie having options, control the market, vs pursuing Dack for weeks) particularly as he acknowledged the need to be short term. It's all soundbites to me - say what they want to hear and hope some of it will apply some of the time.

In practice there's much more we could have done, and need to do - however good his approach sounds in theory.

Blimey - were those his exact words?

I presume MA will take some of the blame for the 'amateurish' way we were before when he was here previously then? I think that is a completely unnecessary, pointless and pretty****-ish jab at SC. If I was MA I'd wait and see how I got on in the job before I started slating the previous people, 99% of whom still work with him

Stunning

8 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Blimey - were those his exact words?

I presume MA will take some of the blame for the 'amateurish' way we were before when he was here previously then? I think that is a completely unnecessary, pointless and pretty****-ish jab at SC. If I was MA I'd wait and see how I got on in the job before I started slating the previous people, 99% of whom still work with him

Stunning

He didn't say that.

Archived