IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Q&A at Forest

thatcham red

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

If ever the saying "there's no pleasing some" was ever more appropriate.

You know you could go to Nottingham and hear what he has to say for himself right? Heck even ask a question....

Some can't afford/can't commit to go to Nottingham. It would be nice for the locals or those who fork out for season tickets to be able to attend one of these meetings as personally, I would find it very interesting.

9 hours ago, ontariored said:

But not at Ashton Gate.

No , he got no balls. Don't take balls to pay for £45m stadium improvements out of his own pocket or to keep bankrolling the club, wiping off £50m of dept. 

People like you get right on my tits  .I expect to see you at forest then shall I to hear what he's got to say. 

9 hours ago, 29AR said:

There are practical reasons why. You can only have limited turnout otherwise it would be so bloody unorganised with questions being shouted from left right and centre - an away game suits that - and you probably would have people who would have had one or two many sherberts whereas on an away day people have generally travelled by car or on dry coaches so there'd be fewer who are inebriated and lose inhibitions/show themselves up.

He's put his head above the parapet. Well done to him. Yes he could have done it at AG, but there is really no need to. If he had held these at Ashton Gate last season when we were going great guns like last season I could probably see your point more clearly, but he didn't. Even when he could have basked in glory he still did these on away days, I see it quite unfair therefore to suggest he's shirking it.

One compromise could be to do it in a pub near AG. There's a few near the ground and could enable a wider range of people to access without the issues which you suggest.

Some people really do have issues with Lansdown.

I myself have certainly attended many q&a's at Ashton Gate in the DEH, think it started off as an AGM but then turned into a q&a over the years. I certainly remember these events happening quite frequently during the GJ era, One was held on an open day where Coppell also attended. At these events it was quite common to have the manager there and Sextone and other board members. I also remember first team players attending. Lansdown and co were always happy to stay behind afterwards and have a chat and a drink with fans. 

Ok these currently don't happen anymore but I suspect this is to do with the redevelopment and because SL is only allowed in the country for a limited amount of days per year. 

I also remember Sextone famously quoting at one of these events that the village green thing wasn't an issue and expected it to be sorted within the next few days.

Lansdown has always been open and honest with fans at these events, he often gave over sensitive information which he asked to be kept in the room.

With people like Burt, Ashton, Kelly now on board I would like to see more of these events at AG on a non match day with these people in attendance, maybe every 6 months or something?

These events really did make me feel closer to the club at the time.

I really do take offence to some of the comments about Lansdown, he is one of the most approachable down to earth people I have ever met which is quite surprising considering his status. If you ever saw him at say Cabot Circus he would happily stop and talk to you. 

43 minutes ago, Just Red said:

I really do take offence to some of the comments about Lansdown, he is one of the most approachable down to earth people I have ever met which is quite surprising considering his status. If you ever saw him at say Cabot Circus he would happily stop and talk to you. 

Couldn't talk to you though could he, because if he stopped walking you would disappear up his backside.

Steve would have done these at Huddersfield or Charlton but for practical considerations. I must have contacted 20+ pubs within 3 train stops of Charlton to find a suitable venue. The biggest I could find on a Saturday was around Tower Hill and only held 80. So I don't think you can say he isn't prepared to face fans and explain things.

What I think we have here at Bristol City is unique in this respect.

Not long after Cotts was appointed the football club held a "Supporters meeting" at Ashton Gate, which was a sort of replacement for not holding an AGM. All of the board attended. I remember it vividly because I challenged the board to talk about what each of them brought to the football club. The other notable thing about that meeting was that only 100 fans attended.

Assuming a manager has been appointed by the time this takes place there should be plenty to discuss!

Having been to a number of these I'd say we have to thank the Supporters Trust for keeping them running.

I shan't be at Forest. But having been at Crewe last season my observation would be that SL takes every question (including, at Crewe, why a billionaire would be spending his afternoon at a pub in Crewe…first question)….but can only answer the questions posed. At Crewe a number of people had had far too much to drink, quickly lost interest and made so much noise it was hard to hear anything that was said….which was a wasted opportunity. If you've got questions about club strategy this is a great chance to get answers.

On 4 February 2016 at 02:09, Just Red said:

So what? He can be the next Ghandi - that doesn't make him any good as Chairman (or whatever you want to call him) of a football club. 

Archived