IGNORED

Welcome Lee Johnson

Dynamite Red

9 hours ago, City169 said:

LJ is a very highly rated coach by those in the game, and his first job was taking a team out of a relegation fight, seems a good enough option to me.

Ah but it's the opinions of those on here that really count.

Those in the game - what do they know?

If Lee Johnson is appointed, I'm going to sell my City season ticket and then throw my City scarf, hat, old programmes from the last 50 years and the remains of the pie i bought at the Birmingham game (put it in my jacket and forgot all about it) on to a ritual fire that i'll start in front of the Sports Bar & Grill before the Ipswich game.

And then, I'm going to boo not just Lee Johnson when he leads the team out against Ipswich but also the team, the Board, the stewards, the catering staff and everybody else in range including the know-nothing-about-football  'fans' sitting by me in the Dolman Stand.

And then, I'm going to start watching a proper football team like The Gas......

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Crikey, what's all this about?  I thought we all supported the same football club ? not some bizarre personal little tit for tat  on my favourite manager is better than yours. 

If anyone wants a BCFC team managed by LJ to lose then they are pathetic, the same goes for anyone who wanted this to happen under SC. 

Amen!

9 hours ago, bcfcmike said:

John why do you feel the need to get personal with any poster that does not agree with your pov ??

This is a forum a place for people to air there views and except they will be open for debate, but I don't personally see the need to start saying things like posters are gas and calling me stupid in a previous thread, I know I said it back but I was only mimicking you.

On here I have noticed for a long time you start getting personal and shitty with people if they don't share the views of little ol john from high Littleton.

God knows how you would keep a grip of the 6 residents if you were chair of the parish council meetings.

Ha ha, the irony of your post overwhelms me!

10 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Undoubtedly unverified cobblers. But a post on Barnsley Fans BB quoting someone on Twitter (I know, I know, ?I'm only passing on what I've seen) that LJ has turned us down

http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?239331-Johnson-rejects-Bristol-City

"According to some bloke on Twitter" :clapping:

6 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

If Lee Johnson is appointed, I'm going to sell my City season ticket and then throw my City scarf, hat, old programmes from the last 50 years and the remains of the pie i bought at the Birmingham game (put it in my jacket and forgot all about it) on to a ritual fire that i'll start in front of the Sports Bar & Grill before the Ipswich game.

And then, I'm going to boo not just Lee Johnson when he leads the team out against Ipswich but also the team, the Board, the stewards, the catering staff and everybody else in range including the know-nothing-about-football  'fans' sitting by me in the Dolman Stand.

And then, I'm going to start watching a proper football team like The Gas......

How much?

10 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

I'm one of Cotterill's biggest defenders and don't think he should ever have been sacked. I'm also pro-LJ. So I don't see the link.

Biggest defenders? Can you replace Mark Little? Or Aiden Flint?

Best decision Lansdown made was getting rid of Cotterill. Man was out of his depth - evidenced by improved football since he went.

Get LJ in and we'll see further improvements.

Up the City ;)

If Johnson is to be the man appointed, he should be given a completely fresh start. Forget what he was like as a player, he is now taking on an entirely different role at the club and should be judged accordingly. 

It is very common knowledge that LJ was regularly used unfairly as a scapegoat which doesn't bode well as I'm sure the same blame game will used when he is manager as it's all in people's heads.

I actually don't understand who people expect us to have got in? Talk of Moyes and Pearson in particular were absolutely far-fetched. Whoever believed stories that both of them would even bat an eyelid when they heard about the Ashton Gate vacancy are deluded more to the extent that Liverpool fans are when they convince themselves they will win the premier league of the back of one good result against Man CIty.

Moyes has managed Everton very successfully but then admittedly had a bad time at Man Utd and Real Sociedad. However, he is by no means going to be short of Premier League offers let alone be up for a relegation fight in the Championship. No chance.

The only reason Pearson lost his job at Leicester was because of the tensions with the board that were brought on by his son and the racist video that appeared online. His Leicester team are now 3 points clear at the top of the Prem. Again will definitely have Prem offers come the summer. Again, no chance.

The others in the mix like Pearce, Rosler, Appleton, Tisdale and Sherwood I really am not bothered about. The only name on that list I would consider over LJ and we could realistically get IMO is Monk and even that is pushing it because even only back in October he just gave Swansea their best ever start to a premier league season after achieving their highest ever points tally the season before. I think Monk is highly rated as a modern coach who could go far so even this option is unrealistic. I'm unsure about Southgate but he would also be someone I would consider and at least talk to especially given his links to the current England U21 players.

I am actually quite excited by LJ's appointment. I know its not ideal to bring in someone so inexperienced at this level when we are in the position we are in, however, he has played lots of games in this league in not too distant past, knows the club well and also has his Dad to ask for advice who as we know has had varying degrees of success in this league.

If 'Little Lee' is appointed he will get my support. 

Struggling with the (likely) appointment though. Where we are, we need a charismatic, motivational manager with tactical nouse and experience of handling massive pressure that will build day by day towards the end of the season. Somebody the team will rally around and give their last ounce of energy. We also need a 'name' with contacts that will attract a top quality striker in. Lee dosen't tick any of these boxes for me and is likely to get a shorter (45 minutes) period of grace with some of the fans. Indeed, I think he could be quite divisive at a time when we need unity. 

What he might bring is a knowledge of the Club (can't wait for our COO reference to 'our DNA' quote) so he will slot in quickly and he will no doubt be willing to work within the existing structure. He may also have a knowledge of lower league (cheap) talent. 

Looks like a long term appointment with one eye on League 1 to me and someone who won't rock the boat with the hierarchy. 

Can only hope for a couple of wins in his first two Matches. COYRs.

48 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ah but it's the opinions of those on here that really count.

Those in the game - what do they know?

10 hours ago, City169 said:

LJ is a very highly rated coach by those in the game, and his first job was taking a team out of a relegation fight, seems a good enough option to me.

Can you show me links to where anyone (in the game) has said LJ is a highly rated coach?

41 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Can you show me links to where anyone (in the game) has said LJ is a highly rated coach?

http://mobile.mkdons.com/news/article/karl-praises-managerial-pair-shaun-derry-lee-johnson-karl-robinson-mk-dons-2150240.aspx

There's one, I'd happily have a look for more, but on the move all day and about to run out of mobile data

13 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

This is exactly what people here said about Cotts when he was appointed, a few wins will soon change their opinions

A few wins! We have only 5 so far and we are in Feb. Now we bring in a League 1 Manager who was having the Barnsley fans calling for him to be sacked at Christmas! LJ will have 16 games to learn about our squad and our club and learn about the Championship and the opposition. Very tall order and not in any great mood to make that statement in to a lame joke.

3 hours ago, redmeanie said:

I like him. Always comes across well in interviews. Think he's smart and has the right attitude. That's half the battle.

And he cares about the club. We could so an awful lot worse

I like him. Not sure about the rest of it but just an opinion. Feeling very down right now more because of the board and that muppet Ashton. Best of luck LJ.

3 hours ago, Claude said:

Heard that LJ has rejected us. If he's seen the fans reaction then I don't blame him. I wouldn't want to manage a club knowing I'll be receiving abuse from the off! 

I wouldn't be too bothered about the reaction on here TBH. Whoever the board appoint there will be those who won't like it and they will voice their objections quite loudly, but they will be in the minority. We have around 15,000 fans for our home games and a few voices on here will soon be drowned out by the vast majority.

I will give the new manager my full backing whoever it is, it could be aunt Sally as far as I'm concerned, however, I think this will be a huge decision by the board and a bit of a gamble, reminds me of the Derek McInnes appointment, respected young manager with no Championship experience.

We'll just have to wait and see, but I do agree some posts on here are a bit over the top.

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

What's made Ashton a muppet, or do you just dislike him for wearing a suit?

The lack of a striker in the transfer window....

The lack of quality manager that he stated he wanted to appoint....

Bloke is a idiot.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

"According to some bloke on Twitter" :clapping:

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

What's made Ashton a muppet, or do you just dislike him for wearing a suit?

I wasn't going to reply but I will.

I don't give a toss if he wears a Mankini. What I do care about is him talking balls, spin, and treating the fans of the club I love as complete mugs. To be honest he hasn't said much so far and I hope that continues. Read back through his little speeches so far and if you still think he is not a muppet then you are entitled to your opinion like everyone else is.

25 minutes ago, Bowie said:

The lack of a striker in the transfer window....

The lack of quality manager that he stated he wanted to appoint....

Bloke is a idiot.

:facepalm:

In half a transfer window he has helped add a lot more depth to the squad, and you're calling him "a idiot" for not managing to get in a quality striker, something very few Championship clubs managed to do.

Again the manager thing will not solely be down to Ashton, the board will have looked through applicants, Ashton probably being part of the process. But if taking a few weeks means getting the right guy in, while we currently have Pemberton who is doing an alright job, then that is beneficial for the club rather than panicking and getting in someone like Warnock who would set the club back in its aims hugely even if he kept us up, which wouldn't be guarenteed.

So you made 2 points and got somewhere between 0 and 0.5 valid ones if we are generous on the striker thing.

Amazes me the extent to which there seems to be a view that sport, business, life is just a process and if we're competent, we'll be in complete control of everything and will never make mistakes. If it was that easy, every team would win the Champions League... every season... 

Is MA likely to be the best of the best at what he does? Probably not, given where we are, but not sure that having to failed to fix everything after a couple of weeks and having committed the ultimate sin of attending a half day media training workshop (at #massageyourmessage, run by Lisa Aziz in the Vacher's idyllic Clifton residence), is enough to deserve name calling. 

My feelings are so mixed on Lee Johnson coming in as manager (Can we please stop referring to him as "Little Lee") I feel like I'm suffering from bi-polar.  My initial reaction was one of anger.  How can the billionaire owner of this football club talk about his ambitions of being a Premier League team within 2 seasons and then sign a young inexperienced manager?  It's just a huge gamble. It's as simple as that. Of course, any manager is a gamble, but surely a manager with actual championship experience would be less of one? This management decision shouldn't be about maximising risk, it should have been about taking as little risk as possible to secure our future in the Championship.

Unless you've lived on Mars, Lee Johnson has and remains one of the most controversial characters at Ashton Gate in the last 8 or so years!! The fans, or a large section of them at least, will be straight on Mr Johnsons back as soon as we start losing games. Imagine if we lose 3 games in a row 3-0 from the start of Lee Johnsons tenure!! Do I need to continue?  Why would SL do that to himself? Why would he want that atmosphere surrounding the club? I can't answer that from the outside, but I know I wouldn't take the risk. 

The flipside of my thought process is, this could be a genius move! I'm fortunate enough to reside in the beautiful county of Dorset, so I've witnessed the rise of Eddie Howe as manager of Bournemouth.  Now, who would have thought that Bournemouth would have done what they've done? Yes, they may have money, but so have we, but the difference is Eddie Howe has spent it wisely. Could Lee Johnson be our Eddie Howe? Sometimes Managers (or coaches) click. Who knows? The answer is, none of us do.  All we can do is our job as supporters and support. God knows our club needs us more than ever at the moment. 

So, Lee Johnson wouldn't have been my first choice, but either was Steve Cotterill, and we all know how that turned out. We don't know what's going to happen now, none of us do, but one thing we can do is roar on the team and hope this gamble is one that pays off, not only for us fans, but for SL.  I can see things getting pretty nasty for him if Lee takes us down. But that's what happens when you roll the dice. 

It can't be proved, but I suspect LJ was the choice on potential and may prove to be an exceptionally foresightful appointment.

Fans' prejudices (many based on not appreciating his qualities as a player) are frankly irrelevant.

So is his win ratio at other clubs, because at Oldham, for example, there was no budget and he had to sell the best players.

I've no doubt he interviews well and the board may just well be genuine blokes who think they've made the right choice.

Thank heavens at least we didn't choose an unpleasant Neanderthal like Warnock or Pearson.

Archived