IGNORED

The Official Charlton Athletic v Bristol City Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

I hope LJ does really well, but I could name to you now those who'll come out of the woodwork at his first defeat. Let's get behind him, eh?

Can anyone name one ,just one , coach who would be welcomed by EVERY City fan ?

As someone once said " you can please some of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time " .

It's a new start with a young promising coach let's give the fella a chance and in all probablility in two years time we'll be having this discussion over another new coach so don't sweat it .

• Like 2
Just now, Major Isewater said:

As someone once said " you can please some of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time " .

It's a new start with a young promising coach let's give the fella a chance and in all probablility in two years time we'll be having this discussion over another new coach so don't sweat it .

True, Major, but there are a few coaches for whom some fans really have the knife in. Colin, Hollowhead, P**is and both Johnsons, to name a few...

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

I thought Steve L sounded irritated by the tone of questioning from Hoskins suggesting he has been generally irked all week by the backlash from the Lee J rumours. Ashton actually came across better but in both cases they contradicted themselves vis a vis what they had both said in the recent past about possible candidates and/or different terms of contract.

That suggests that they have tended to make some decisions on the fly and strategy is something to be moved around like peas on a plate.

Good Luck Lee anyway.

You are right i think .

Ashton sidestepped the question as to if Lee Johnson was at the top of his list . He be one o' they politician type fellas an' make no mistake .

• Like 1

Johnson is the only name touted around for the last 3 weeks who has a proper connection with the club and really wanted the job. For those reasons I'm glad he got it, unfortunately it means Otib goes into overdrive. I've inly just got over all the bs on here from when he was playing! 

Edited by redfieldred
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Jesus, but since he posts on here you can ask him directly. Although, thinking about it, I am sure some fans are of a different faith so that would be a no, in fact, no such 100%'er would exist not even God.. the Bob Taylor type that is and had he been in the lottery of football management in the first place.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Exactly, so why even mention it, thanks for sorting that out once and for all.

Today should be a celebration of Pemberton and Elliott and not somebody sat in the stand not being able to believe his luck.

Today should be a celebration of winning against our arch relegation rivals in what could be an absolutely massive 3 points.  No one knows who had what influence on any of the players and it doesn't really matter does it?  We won. Enjoy!

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I thought Steve L sounded irritated by the tone of questioning from Hoskins suggesting he has been generally irked all week by the backlash from the Lee J rumours. Ashton actually came across better but in both cases they contradicted themselves vis a vis what they had both said in the recent past about possible candidates and/or different terms of contract.

That suggests that they have tended to make some decisions on the fly and strategy is something to be moved around like peas on a plate.

Good Luck Lee anyway.

Or they approached bigger names and they weren't interested so they went for the least bad option. 

If so, I personally would've kept Pembo and Wadey in charge,  but we shall just have to wait and see how Lee works out.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Or they approached bigger names and they weren't interested so they went for the least bad option. 

If so, I personally would've kept Pembo and Wadey in charge,  but we shall just have to wait and see how Lee works out.

Well under Pembo & Wade that's 7 pts from 4 games, maintain that ratio and we stay up, so agree a bit of a gamble to bring in LJ at this time. Just hope he doesn't feel the need to stamp his mark and make significant changes...

15 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Johnson is the only name touted around for the last 3 weeks who has a proper connection with the club and really wanted the job. For those reasons I'm glad he got it, unfortunately it means Otib goes into overdrive. I've inly just got over all the bs on here from when he was playing! 

Johnson's ability as a player and whether fans believe he was lucky his Dad was Manager (and many do) in order to have played so many games for the club has nothing to do with whether he has the ability as a Manager. Whichever side of the fence we are on in that regard we have to forget that and judge him as a Manager.....unless he starts picking himself in Centre Mid !!!!

Just now, old_eastender said:

Well under Pembo & Wade that's 7 pts from 4 games, maintain that ratio and we stay up, so agree a bit of a gamble to bring in LJ at this time. Just hope he doesn't feel the need to stamp his mark and make significant changes...

Hopefully in the early weeks he'll take loads of advice from JP and WE. The sad thing is I doubt Cotts ever did :shutup:

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

pretty sure everyone was happy with coppell, and look how that turned out!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There was maybe an element of that, sure.

But I also think it's entirely possible Pembo and Wade didn't want to stick in the role all season, which perhaps left the board in the position of having to make a move.

In that situation, I think our 'dance card' will have been limited; names such as Moyes were complete pie-in-the-sky, and though Pearson was polite about us on the radio he may have not wanted to tarnish what is currently a pretty decent reputation, that is being bolstered-by-proxy thanks to Leicester's incredible season.

I was also not one of those thinking Warnock or another 'old skool' candidate was ever an option; the Copplle debacle, and S'OD's uninspiring period in charge have put me off that, personally.

And when the likes of Appleton were actively ruling themselves out, I'm not sure we would have many options who'd have got people gasping, to be honest.

Many people clearly don't like Aston because he's a 'suit', but he made a point in his interview about appointing young coaches he believes have potential, and I think it is hard to argue LJ doesn't fit the bill for that.

Will be a risk, but I do think that the situation we are in, anyone would be, and if the alternative was not available (as in Pemberton not comfortable staying in charge), then we could have done far worse, and there is a real question as to how much better too.

Just hope LJ does a Cotterill and proved his doubters wrong. 

He has my full support.

Edited by samo II
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

this new platform really is irritating, sorry web masters. the + and quote buttons simply are not fit for purpose. look what happens when I try and quote Cynic and Red Robbo

Cynic - no you are right he did quote LJ as our first choice

RR - Maybe but per above LJ was 'always our first choice' .

Take that with a bit of a pinch of salt frankly. As some other poster mentioned a day or so ago Ashton reminds me of Alistair Campbell... spin.

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hopefully in the early weeks he'll take loads of advice from JP and WE. The sad thing is I doubt Cotts ever did :shutup:

I think he would be mad to do anything different. Until such times as we are more or less safe I cannot see him trying to put much of his own stamp on the side. That may well have to wait until next season when he can add his own players.

• Like 1

Little was absolutely immense today mind, wasn't sure about him at RB but he was perfect. Won loads of 50/50s and put in some great challenges. I thought Reid actually popped up in many dangerous positions. Should've been awarded a stonewall penalty and got the deflected pass that led to Tomlin being fouled. Smart passing as always and helped out the defence every now and then. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Little was absolutely immense today mind, wasn't sure about him at RB but he was perfect. Won loads of 50/50s and put in some great challenges. I thought Reid actually popped up in many dangerous positions. Should've been awarded a stonewall penalty and got the deflected pass that led to Tomlin being fouled. Smart passing as always and helped out the defence every now and then. 

Glad to read Little had a good game. He had a terrible injury towards end of last season and I felt he was unfairly written off by a lot of fans before he had a chance to play a run of games. Sometimes his positioning is out but he always looks a handful going forward and is always committed to the cause. So great to read defensively he was on it today too.

Edited by Flagon
Typo
  • Like 1

One thing of possible note; Wade did the post match interview today and Ashton said, of Pemberton, 'I hope he will be with us for the foreseeable future'.

Not a ringing endorsement of JP; however, perhaps he has said something to Ashton which might suggest he will wait and see how it goes under Lee before committing long term to working under him. 

4 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

When are Bolton gonna get there just deserts and go into admin?

The High Court adjourned the winding up order until 22 Feb, time to conclude a deal with a buyer or realise some assets. That was always going to happen with the transfer window open but patience may run thin having sold no-one. 

10 minutes ago, 29AR said:

The High Court adjourned the winding up order until 22 Feb, time to conclude a deal with a buyer or realise some assets. That was always going to happen with the transfer window open but patience may run thin having sold no-one. 

I wondered about this; they didn't sell anyone, so unless something dramatic has changed elsewhere, I wonder how on earth they are going to avoid administration.

They've been on a midtable run of form recently, and have given themselves a chance of getting out of the bottom three (some would argue this is in part thanks to them retaining their best players) so would certainty shake things up of they lost 12 points.

6 minutes ago, samo II said:

I wondered about this; they didn't sell anyone, so unless something dramatic has changed elsewhere, I wonder how on earth they are going to avoid administration.

They've been on a midtable run of form recently, and have given themselves a chance of getting out of the bottom three (some would argue this is in part thanks to them retaining their best players) so would certainty shake things up of they lost 12 points.

Thought Clough did go somewhere in the end or did I dream it?

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Thought Clough did go somewhere in the end or did I dream it?

Nope.

A couple of loans went home early, and they lent a couple of youngsters, but otherwise nothing happened.

The Vela transfer went belly up when Cardiff got slapped with an embargo, so they made nothing in fees.

20 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Think they have given themselves a chance. Hung on to most of their better players over the window, and have sold a car park it appears for a good few million. All comes down to how their main creditor acts, but should not bank on them going into admin.

The creditor putting them through the winding up is HMRC. Not a good place to be.