IGNORED

Whoever brought the smoke @ Charlton

Lordofthebling

17 minutes ago, Calculus said:

How can it be a moment of madness though? Must have gone out of his way to find a flare, buy it and take it to the ground. I'd say that's a premeditated act. Can't say that there was intent to hit someone but with half a second's thought should have realised it was possible.

Was talking about the throwing of the flare.

53 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The topic of smoke flares crops up on a regular basis on the forum, with some in favour and some against their use. My opinion is that whilst  they add to the atmosphere at a match, anyone buying and using them has little regard to the safety or health implications.  It's been mentioned numerous time on that forum that these types of flares are designed to be used in open spaces, and if used in a confined space such as a football stand, can adversely affect anyone with a breathing problem such as asthma. Yet there  is still an element who are happy to ignore this. As for safety, how many of the people who buy these flares know what the safety implications are? I can guarantee that the idiot who used the flare on Saturday doesn't .  The picture of the flare used, shown in this thread, clearly identifies the make and on the manufacturers website it clearly says:

"This smoke product is not designed to be hand held; if you decide to hold on to it for too long it will shoot a column of red smoke up your sleeve and out the neck of your shirt."

http://www.enolagaye.com/product/red-burst-smoke-grenade/

The Premier League and Football League have also issued numerous statements about the dangers - e.g.

“Flares are used for marine distress and are designed not to be extinguished easily or quickly,” said the Premier League. “They contain chemicals and burn at temperatures of 1600C, the melting point of steel. Smoke bombs are mainly used recreationally in paintballing and war games, but these also burn at high temperatures and are designed to be used in wide open spaces.

"They are dangerous for those with asthma or breathing difficulties and can cause panic in a tightly packed crowd. They are not designed for use in confined spaces and it is illegal to enter a football stadium with one and set it off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10490064/Campaign-starts-to-warn-of-dangers-of-fans-using-flares-and-smoke-bombs-in-grounds.html

As much as I like the smoke effect, it's not hard to see why they're illegal in the context of a packed football stadium. Difficult to argue against it when you read this.

3 hours ago, shelts said:

Unfortunately we have an element at our club that like to do anything they want and **** the rest of the decent fans, this can include vile chanting , standing when seats are provided so blocking the views of the young, elderly infirm and people who just follow the rules, throwing pyro canisters etc. It's just football though right?

Absolutely. It's these types who are the reason that football fans get treated like shit by the authorities, ruining it for everyone else. 

Disgusting actions, from the mindless kid who threw it and from people laughing at it,

Hope it doesn't put your daughter attending future games.

I love the flares and the atmosphere, but when people dispose of the left over like that, you can understand why they are banned.

19 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

I've tried to insert a pic of the smoke canister that hit my daughter today and the cut on her head but not great on here so dunno if it's showing up. 

From the videos I've seen this was let of towards the back of the stand, we were sat 5 rows from the front celebrating our goal so it was thrown quite a distance. It hit her clean on the top of her head leaving a small cut, she was completely shaken up and in tears. I tweeted this after not because I want someone to get in trouble of even find out who did it, I really don't care. I tweeted it in the hope that they might see it and realise what a completely ****ish thing they did.

Ive received a majority of msgs back from people condemning this, I've tried to thank them all individually, I really appreciated there concern. I also received a few not so nice tweets. One guy saw fit to blame me for tweeting instead of making sure my daughter was ok (as if as a father I wouldn't have done that first) he then felt the need to belittle the incident because it wasn't that serious, claim it was an accident. Well sorry but whilst I'm sure the intention wasn't to hurt anyone throwing a missile like that isn't an accident, this thing was solid and had it hit someone in the eye it would have done some real damage. 

From the Twitter response some people have clearly found this funny, some think I've been over dramatic, that's fine, I can say with certainty that anyone out there with a sense of decency will understand my upset at this incident. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is bad and I feel ashamed that one of us did this.

What I would like to know is if your Daughter is a season ticket holder.

If she is not I would like to purchase a ticket for her for the next home match, if she is perhaps I could get her something from the shop, this is our future right here and I would like her to know that not everyone is like the clown that caused this.

Let me know 

Thanks

Mark

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Absolutely. It's these types who are the reason that football fans get treated like shit by the authorities, ruining it for everyone else. 

No its not. Football hooligans in the 80s and early 90s are. What trouble occurs nowadays is playground stuff in comparison. 

Objects are thrown in large crowds by idiots at all sorts of events. I've been at a concert before where a thrown object hit a friend on the head and they had to have stiches as a result. But I dont see people attending gigs being frog marched in, searched on entry and being treated like criminals without doing anything. Likewise I've seen flares set off in bigger crowds at the likes of Glastonbury every time I've been (which are usually thrown after use) and I have never heard of anyone getting arrested or being banned for it.

I really do hope that the little girl is OK and I really hope that this doesn't put her off watching city again. I also think the person who threw it is an idiot who shouldn't of- but don't try and tell me that people swearing, standing rather than sitting and the odd idiot throwing something is the reason the authorities treat football fans like shit.

11 minutes ago, M_Porter said:

This is bad and I feel ashamed that one of us did this.

What I would like to know is if your Daughter is a season ticket holder.

If she is not I would like to purchase a ticket for her for the next home match, if she is perhaps I could get her something from the shop, this is our future right here and I would like her to know that not everyone is like the clown that caused this.

Let me know 

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

She has been a ST holder for 7 years and regularly goes to away games with me so she is pretty clued up on what it can be like. Nothing like this has ever happened before so whilst it was very distressing for her and shook her up I'm hopeful she won't let it put her off.

Youre offer is incredibly generous and I'm so grateful for it but it's really not necessary, you certainly shouldn't feel ashamed, I've shown Millie the msgs from everyone on here and she knows how great 99% of City fans are. 

The most important thing now is that this doesn't happen again because if it continues (This is the 2nd time) one of our own fans is going to get seriously hurt. 

Thanks again Mark and thank you to everyone else who have shown concern on here. 

I'll make my view entirely clear as I would have done on the thread that's now locked.

Whilst I'm all for atmosphere at games the  idiot who brought the flare needs to think long and hard about their actions and the consequences and potential consequences. Injury to others, legal action and a points deduction. 

Well done.

21 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I'll make my view entirely clear as I would have done on the thread that's now locked.

Whilst I'm all for atmosphere at games the  idiot who brought the flare needs to think long and hard about their actions and the consequences and potential consequences. Injury to others, legal action and a points deduction. 

Well done.

Remind me when a team has been deducted points in England for setting off a smoke bomb?

donkeebles,firstly,so sorry to hear that your daughter got hurt and hope she mends quickly.

im not for or against smoke but the way i see it is they are banned. that means they are not allowed,same as fighting,smoking,being drunk etc etc therefore anyone caught using them should be banned for breaking the rules. they are there for a reason and in the case of this girl,rightly so

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

That's not the point though is it?

Irrespective of the other implications do you want to be the first?

Christ almighty. Is it really that difficult to comprehend?

First and foremost, I'm deeply sorry to hear about this OP. This should not had happened and I hope your daughter isn't too shaken. 

You made an inaccurate statement, so it is the point. Do you honestly believe that setting off a single smoke bomb will get us a points deduction? 

43 minutes ago, Ecko said:

First and foremost, I'm deeply sorry to hear about this OP. This should not had happened and I hope your daughter isn't too shaken. 

You made an inaccurate statement, so it is the point. Do you honestly believe that setting off a single smoke bomb will get us a points deduction? 

Blackpool had a fine for failure to control their fans, which repeated incidents of people getting hurt because of a minority being utter arseholes being thoughtless morons and chucking a canister into a crowd would inevitably fall under. So not a points deduction there, but- and this part is me making a supposition- repeated incidents following a fine could well lead to a points deduction.

@Donkeeebles sorry to hear about what happened, hope your daughter isn't put off as a result and that she can enjoy games without worrying about a lump of metal hitting her in future

6 hours ago, Ecko said:

Can't see any inaccuracy in what I said. Whether I believe points will be deducted isn't the point. It might be a consequence. Equally it might not.

What's not in doubt is someone innocently watching her team has been injured because some brave big boy decided to take a flare into an enclosed space, let it off and then throw it.

Christ if you want to try and argue the merits of that then you are deluded.

For those who do not know me, I am the Head of Safety and Security at Ashton Gate.  This means your Safety as well as everyone else's Safety.  This is one incident of several that I have been informed about  since the start of this season and for those who are intent on this sort of thing and are quite  happy with this happening I will give you one clear warning - If you are found entering Ashton Gate or any other ground with any form of Pyro you will not be welcome at Ashton Gate again.  I am speaking to various police forces as well as Safety Officers and will do all I can to identify anyone responsible for these type of incidents. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or a ground is evacuated, spoiling it for large numbers of supporters.  Anything like this that results in a missile landing on the playing surface can result on a hefty fine for the Club.  We were reported by the match referee for a stone and seat back thrown from the Dolman at the home game against Charlton so I take this very seriously.  Enjoy yourselves but please be responsible and have respect for those around you,  There, soap box over !

@Donkeeebles Firstly, I hope your daughter is on the mend and there are no lasting effects. I am all for adding to the atmosphere, for example the streamers at Birmingham and the flags in the Atyeo they add to the atmosphere, I am also a fan of smoke bombs or whatever you choose to call them! I was right behind one at Charlton and I feel it does add to the atmosphere, although it lingers in the throat for longer than you'd think! BUT if you are going to use a smoke bomb, you have got a responsibility of disposing of it, don't be an arsehole when trying to rid yourself of the evidence that you used it.

40 minutes ago, Dave Storr said:

For those who do not know me, I am the Head of Safety and Security at Ashton Gate.  This means your Safety as well as everyone else's Safety.  This is one incident of several that I have been informed about  since the start of this season and for those who are intent on this sort of thing and are quite  happy with this happening I will give you one clear warning - If you are found entering Ashton Gate or any other ground with any form of Pyro you will not be welcome at Ashton Gate again.  I am speaking to various police forces as well as Safety Officers and will do all I can to identify anyone responsible for these type of incidents. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or a ground is evacuated, spoiling it for large numbers of supporters.  Anything like this that results in a missile landing on the playing surface can result on a hefty fine for the Club.  We were reported by the match referee for a stone and seat back thrown from the Dolman at the home game against Charlton so I take this very seriously.  Enjoy yourselves but please be responsible and have respect for those around you,  There, soap box over !

hey dave do you know keith lard?

2 hours ago, Kodjia 22 said:

@Donkeeebles Firstly, I hope your daughter is on the mend and there are no lasting effects. I am all for adding to the atmosphere, for example the streamers at Birmingham and the flags in the Atyeo they add to the atmosphere, I am also a fan of smoke bombs or whatever you choose to call them! I was right behind one at Charlton and I feel it does add to the atmosphere, although it lingers in the throat for longer than you'd think! BUT if you are going to use a smoke bomb, you have got a responsibility of disposing of it, don't be an arsehole when trying to rid yourself of the evidence that you used it.

Read the post before yours nob ed!

15 hours ago, Dave Storr said:

Spot on @Dave Storr thanks for taking the time to come on here and clarify the club's stance COYR 

Archived