IGNORED

Why Must we all be happy?

frenchred

As the title says I for one am not happy with Little Lee's appointment for the following reasons:

1: Ashton can do one with his boardroom bullshit and corporate speak, absolute bullshit from the start to finish. You should see who has applied! Bristol City is the attraction! We will put processes in place! What absolute bollocks!

2: I'm in charge, no you aint! You are a Landsdown puppet the same as Little Lee. He will just be the latest whipping boy in this clubs Landsdown reign.

3: Best man for the job? Yeah right! Little Lee is the cheap option highlighting a lack of vision, forward planning and any ambition.

If you take Little Lee's appointment on face value its OK at the very best and he deserves our support, however Ashton and the rest of Landsdown's puppets on our so say board do not, just a lot of nodding donkeys afraid to upset their corporate days out (no doubt funded by the puppet aster himself). Time for a whole new broom throughout the club including Landsdown.

Key the happy ones, we cant get by without him? You sure? we never had one before and we aint no higher now, other clubs get by! Do you want a foreign owner? Most other clubs do and they are fine that's why the only ones highlighted are the bad guys! Fans liaison officer? Lets have a proper one please, not another mouthpiece of the club!

I was there yesterday, and lets be frank, Charlton were woeful! As they were at the gate, performances  like that against greater opposition will not yield too many points, as I fear will the latest cheap option appointment of Lee Johnson

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

As the title says I for one am not happy with Little Lee's appointment for the following reasons:

1: Ashton can do one with his boardroom bullshit and corporate speak, absolute bullshit from the start to finish. You should see who has applied! Bristol City is the attraction! We will put processes in place! What absolute bollocks!

2: I'm in charge, no you aint! You are a Landsdown puppet the same as Little Lee. He will just be the latest whipping boy in this clubs Landsdown reign.

3: Best man for the job? Yeah right! Little Lee is the cheap option highlighting a lack of vision, forward planning and any ambition.

If you take Little Lee's appointment on face value its OK at the very best and he deserves our support, however Ashton and the rest of Landsdown's puppets on our so say board do not, just a lot of nodding donkeys afraid to upset their corporate days out (no doubt funded by the puppet aster himself). Time for a whole new broom throughout the club including Landsdown.

Key the happy ones, we cant get by without him? You sure? we never had one before and we aint no higher now, other clubs get by! Do you want a foreign owner? Most other clubs do and they are fine that's why the only ones highlighted are the bad guys! Fans liaison officer? Lets have a proper one please, not another mouthpiece of the club!

I was there yesterday, and lets be frank, Charlton were woeful! As they were at the gate, performances  like that against greater opposition will not yield too many points, as I fear will the latest cheap option appointment of Lee Johnson

You WILL be happy, witch!

28 minutes ago, frenchred said:

If we are paying his £500,000 severance package to Barnsley to pay up his 3.5yr contract I doubt he's that cheap of a cheap option.

You don't have to be happy......but don't be so angry!!

(And, btw, no we never had a SL before, but (with the honourable exception of Des Williams) what we have had since Harry Dolman's days has been a whole lot worse! Plus, we now have no choice - we cant get by without him because he (separately) now owns our ground too. Fall out with him and we might not have a ground...!!

44 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

image.jpeg

ha ha ha, if you knew anything about me change is the last thing that worries me! Corporate bullshit, and change for change sake does fear me! Johnson better than Cottrill (and I wasn't his biggest fan, but respect what he did for us) I dont think so, just happier to bow down and say yes sir!

20 minutes ago, italian dave said:

You don't have to be happy......but don't be so angry!!

(And, btw, no we never had a SL before, but (with the honourable exception of Des Williams) what we have had since Harry Dolman's days has been a whole lot worse! Plus, we now have no choice - we cant get by without him because he (separately) now owns our ground too. Fall out with him and we might not have a ground...!!

Exactly my point he has us over a barrel, fan my ass!

All this anger towards the board, some of it justified, but I take a broader view.

Two years ago we were at the bottom of League One.

Last year we were top of League One.

This year we are 20th in the Championship with every chance of survival and a Premier League standard stadium near completion.

No question that plenty of mistakes have been made, but plenty of clubs would take that sort of progress over a three season period. Equally we can only judge the appointment of Johnson in hindsight; it could yet turn out to be a masterstroke - something we really ought to have learnt from our previous appointment.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

I'm pretty sure LJ wasn't in charge for yesterday's game & would of had no input whatsoever!!

So on your analogy of yesterday, keeping JP & WE in charge would have got us nowhere but relegation so the club have acted on that by giving the job to a "young, up & coming coach" who is supposedly well thought of because of his coaching techniques.

So why don't we at least give the bloke a chance?

He has given up the opportunity to manage a club at Wembley (something that not many managers actually get to do, same as playing there) & the opportunity to take that same club on a promotion push for the opportunity of managing a club that are in a relegation fight (which by your accounts we won't get out of).

For what it's worth, this appointment doesn't get me excited & LJ wouldn't of been in my top 5 of people to appoint but taking a step back it means we do have a bright, young (in coach / management terms) coach who doesn't need time to settle in to his new surroundings or to learn about the club & the area, which can only help us in our current predicament.

My guess is that the club want the next Eddie Howe, maybe it was something that was spotted in him from his time as a player here, so it was always an appointment that was going to be looked at at some point?

He has worked within very restricted budgets at both Oldham & Barnsley & that now won't be so restricted but on that side of things, I don't think he'll have to worry about player incomings as his title says, he's the head coach & I think the player signings will be down to Burt & Ashton (although I'm not sure what or why Burt should have anything to do with this after his recent failures in this procedure).

I'm also not overly happy about the fact of LJ being given a 3 & half year contract, that seems like a enormous risk to me but if LJ does come on like some expect then it just helps guards our investment in him but if he fails as you & a few others hope he does, it will cost us a fair bit to get rid of him!!

In general, I think this fits in with the direction the club wishes to go, no longer having a manager put in charge of all things football (coaching, team selection & player identification) but LJ will now coach & select the team & may help identify potential transfer targets but it will now be left to someone else who is responsible for the transfer / wage budgets to do the leg work & complete the player recruiting.

It tends to be a newer way that clubs are moving & to an extent it reduces the pressure on any one person to get the results that are required & for that reason, I think it's why the likes of Pearson / Moyes / Warnock were never going to get the job as they would of wanted 100% control over everything football related.

Ashton has shown he's able to sign players & given that he now has 4-5 months to put in place his player recruitment policy before we see what he's made of again, it gives LJ the opportunity to get on with what he's been brought here to do & that is to coach & get us out of the mess we're currently in!!

But I wouldn't be surprised to see both Alfie Mawson & Sam Winnall join us during the summer & maybe even one or two others from Barnsley because it would help LJ having more players onboard that he already knows.

I guess only time will tell but that's the same with any managerial appointment but the guy deserves to be given at least a chance to show what he can do.

56 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Nobody is saying you should be happy but  it might be good to give the new manager a chance before condemning him.

I'd also suggest that, if you can't be happy, you might at least choose to be logical. LJ is not the cheap option. An unemployed manager or an internal candidate is a cheap option. A manager under contract is not cheap. So let's dispel that nonsense if nothing else.

in terms of the other two points, it would have been better had Ashton not done the "you won't believe who applied" spiel BUT the simple fact is we don't know who applied. AND we have no idea how the internal power structure works so it's silly to speculate.

so do you have to be happy? No. Does you not being happy justify you making a series of statements which are either unverifiable or, where they are verifiable, clearly inaccurate? Of course not.

so be as happy  or unhappy as you want. But, either way, avoid clear inaccuracies or unsubstantiated speculation.

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I'm pretty sure LJ wasn't in charge for yesterday's game & would of had no input whatsoever!! And?

So on you analogy of yesterday, keeping JP & WE in charge would have got us nowhere but relegation (whys that? what reference did I make?) so the club have acted on that by giving the job to a "young, up & coming coach" who is supposedly well thought (by whom?) of because of his coaching techniques.

So why don't we at least give the bloke a chance( I wil)l?

He has given up the opportunity to manage a club at Wembley (something that not many managers actually get to do, same as playing there) & the opportunity to take that same club on a promotion push for the opportunity of managing a club that are in a relegation fight (which by your accounts we won't get out of). (Lets be brutally hones, Wembley has been diluted for players, mangers and fans for years since so many games are played there to make it pay!)

For what it's worth, this appointment doesn't get me excited & LJ wouldn't of been in my top 5 of people to appoint but taking a step back it means we do have a bright, young (in coach / management terms) coach who doesn't need time to settle in to his new surroundings or to learn about the club & the area, which can only help us in our current predicament.

My guess is that the club want the next Eddie Howe, maybe it was something that was spotted in him from his time as a player here, so it was always an appointment that was going to be looked at at some point? (Nope, Eddie hoe=we is a manager not a coach, or a manager and a coach not just a coach)

He has worked within very restricted budgets at both Oldham & Barnsley & that now won't be so restricted but on that side of things, I don't think he'll have to worry about player incomings as his title says, he's the head coach & I think the player signings will be down to Burt & Ashton (although I'm not sure what or why Burt should have anything to do with this after his recent failures in this procedure). (So coach gets to coach players he dont necessarily want or like but the suits do)

I'm also not overly happy about the fact of LJ being given a 3 & half year contract, that seems like a enormous risk to me but if LJ does come on like some expect then it just helps guards our investment in him but if he fails as you & a few others hope he does, it will cost us a fair bit to get rid of him!! (Will we ever learn?)

In general, I think this fits in with the direction the club wishes to go, no longer having a manager put in charge of all things football (coaching, team selection & player identification) but LJ will now coach & select the team & may help identify potential transfer targets but it will now be left to someone else who is responsible for the transfer / wage budgets to do the leg work & complete the player recruiting. (Where has this ever worked in England before?)

It tends to be a newer way that clubs are moving & to an extent it reduces the pressure on any one person to get the results that are required & for that reason, I think it's why the likes of Pearson / Moyes / Warnock were never going to get the job as they would of wanted 100% control over everything football related. (No the reason they were not appointed is we wont pay the money!)

Ashton has shown he's able to sign players & given that he now has 4-5 months to put in place his player recruitment policy before we see what he's made of again, it gives LJ the opportunity to get on with what he's been brought here to do & that is to coach & get us out of the mess we're currently in!! (I will never agree that a man in a suit knows best, corporate bandwaggon jumper!)

But I wouldn't be surprised to see both Alfie Mawson & Sam Winnall join us during the summer & maybe even one or two others from Barnsley because it would help LJ having more players onboard that he already knows. (Should be o when we are back in league 1!)

I guess only time will tell but that's the same with any managerial appointment but the guy deserves to be given at least a chance to show what he can do.

The whole "you won't believe who's applied" has been used as a stick to beat Ashton with quite a lot. In terms of raising hopes amongst the fanbase, it certainly wasn't the wisest thing to say.

But maybe he was right - perhaps we wouldn't believe who applied. Maybe the likes of Pearson DID apply, but wanted a level of control or a salary that we couldn't or wouldn't agree to. Just because Johnson ended up getting the job doesn't necessarily mean there weren't other, more desirable candidates on the list.

Fair enough, I have said on other threads I am underwhelmed with the appointment but I was with Cott's and that turned out OK. I will give him time, SC really proved just because I don't particularly like someone doesn't mean they wont be good for the club.

I have been moaning about communication from the club for a while so , even though it may be a little 'polition' speak , any info is good and maybe a step in the right direction.

I can't see someone coming into that position just to be someones mouth piece , but I don't know for sure.

I really think he was destined for this job , only time will tell if it's the right time. Plus the favoured options may not have been options at all, who knows.

On face value they did the same thing last time as this....... chose a target from a list and went out and got him. Last time it worked , for 18 months or so.

I think I read there will be a new liaison officer soon.

The cheap option thing has been has been addressed higher up the thread, I don't agree but can see where you're coming from. I have been disillusioned with managerial appointments in the past and thought the same as you... Millen & Tinnion both smacked of the cheap option but you could see another reason for them getting the job, same here. When I pointed out some of my misgivings on another thread someone ( I don't remember who) , pointed out some things about LJ that I didn't know and that impressed me . I hope he can take what Wade and Pembo have started,  and improve on it without losing momentum. I just think it's just a little early for doom and gloom, there will be plenty of time for that later. With luck much , much later.

I think most of us were somewhere in the middle with this one. 

Sure you can be unhappy. You do put your points accross as to why you were unhappy, which can be responded to, debate starts, views are expressed etc etc.

I think what some of us were gobsmacked by however was the amount of tantrums seen, that if it was a few years ago my children would have had to go to the naughty step for.

I gotta say……..that I'm happy that the club has appointed a young upcoming coach,….rather than taking the easy option of recruiting a dinosaur like a Warnock or Jol type (No disrespect).  Its a brave decision to go for a young coach with fresh ideas and hopefully new approaches to old problems.  Since when was a football club a democracy anyhow?, its a business, and if it was up to most BC fans Cotterill would never have been appointed, and last seasons incredible highs would never have taken place.  So I'm looking forward to interesting times ahead………when LJ  possibly brings publicity and attention to our club…..let the revolution begin?

How is this not the best choice of appointment, do you know who applied and what they wanted?

How can it be a cheap option when we paid Barnsley a severance and compensation?

Yes it is board room corporate speak but, it doesn't mean he's not good at his job.

The puppet thing is just silly, Lansdown is the owner, of course everybody else is a puppet. You are at your place of work unless you're the boss.

23 minutes ago, frenchred said:

In response to your reply to my original points.........

I'm sure there were cheaper options available to the club without paying whatever LJ's release clause is / was & I'd be interested to see exactly how you know that after paying his release clause & wages & probable signing on sweetener that he was the cheap option?

Regarding him not being in control of signings, I think it's common knowledge that most of the big clubs now have a "suit" that is in charge of player recruitment & while the manager / head coach will undoubtedly be able to suggest a target for the club to go for, the actual deal tends to get over the line via the "suit" concluding the deal, allowing the head coach to go about his daily duties without it affecting them.

Regarding the player recruitment, you'll probably find that the head coach will now tell the "suit" what he wants / type of player he wants, "fix in the box striker", "target man striker", "box to box midfielder" etc, it will then be down to the "suit" to find adequate options within this remit through the scouts available to the club & then for the "suit" to do the due diligence on said player & then to go back to the head coach with his recommendations for the final approval, so LJ won't of had to sift through tonnes of scouting reports & videos etc & LJ will only have to view realistic options open to him.

There just wouldn't be enough hours in the day anymore for a club to run efficiently by allowing one man to do all of this on his own.

And by the club going down this route it should mean there will be no more Uncle Pete advising who's best for us to sign as the suit will take care of all the scouting appointments & reports that come in.

It's all to do with football moving forward & responsibilities being delegated out because now if one person fails in their responsibilities the whole club doesn't fall apart if someone moves on or gets relieved of their duties.

When SL is thinking of committing a few million quid of his money on a new manager he should really leave the choice to some of our fans.

They seem to know who has applied, presumably the terms they would demand for taking the job ( so you can determine the cheapest or dearest option) and most importantly which choice will guarantee success. 

According to many posters it would appear the club know none of this information. The club certainly doesn't know which choice will guarantee  success, but therein lies the rub.

I'm happy because we have an owner who is a fan and also minted,we have a beautiful stadium,magnificent training ground not worried about the team or management decisions our owner wouldn't of a appointed him if he didn't think he would look after the football club he owns let's face it he didn't get to be that rich without upsetting the majority and getting it right.we are going in the right direction and we will get there eventually but there will be more twists and turns

Archived