IGNORED

Lee Johnson's First Few Games...

Lympsham Red

Lets face it, Lee Johnson actually has a lot to live up to. Under John Pemberton's fantastic interim reign, we won against Middlesbrough and Charlton, and were unbeaten at home in the league. Now, if we look at the next few fixtures, he could certainly go a long way to proving himself by doing well.

First up, Ipswich. Back in September we managed an impressive 2-2 draw away from home. Now, playing them in our own back garden, I'd like to think Lee Johnson could either pull the squad together to pull off a Middlesbrough-esque win or have them put in a solid performance and get a draw. In our current position, I'd be happy with either.

After that, MK Dons away. Given they are the team right below us at the moment, this is a must-win game for LJ. Anything less will be disappointing, unless other circumstances come into play.

Brighton at home is a tough one. Ideally, I'd like to see Johnson solidify us by getting a nice draw in this match, especially since it's a midweek fixture. A loss wouldn't be the end of the world, especially if our last two results are good ones.

And finally, Nottingham Forest away. Once again, not the easiest of matches, especially since we're playing away from home, so a draw would be good. However, if we're coming off the back of a good run, a win is possible considering we beat them at our place.

So those are LJ's first four matches. Not easy, it has to be said. MK Dons is the only match we would really expect to win, and so to get some good results out of the other three would really prove to us all that he's the right man, and I'm certain he'll be thinking the same. I'd link to think that we can get 5 points out of those 4 games, which I'm sure you'd agree is pretty good given our current position, especially since the teams below us aren't going to be having a party Jamie Vardy style any time soon.

What do you guys think?

Not the easiest start. Ipswich a bit wobbly at the moment but still up there, Forest on an unbeaten run, Brighton now seem to have recovered their form. Even MK seem to be able to dig out a few home wins in tight games.

Would like to get back to a point a game, so target has to be six. That will depend I suspect largely on how we do at MK. Also worth adding we did get five points froom these four first time around.

Mind you, no reason to be scared of anyone right now at home. Any sort of win v Ipswich would take us to ten off five, just the sort if run we need. Should not fall in to the trap of believing we are suddenly world beaters, but a new manager bounce on Saturday would do just nicely.

The biggest influence a new coach has in the first few games, is the players up their game to impress him.

He will obviously work with JP and WE and speak to them about pros and cons.

I can see it being a gradual process of his own ideas depending on how we are playing and how results go.

I'm not going to judge him on this season...his sole priority is to keep us up.

What he does this season and over the summer into next, will most likely be different.

If we were to lose next game, it would be madness to blame LJ...you can't have that much influence in a week...neither if we were to win.

7 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

We were a bit fortunate to draw there (MK) last season. Very tight game and the ref missed Ayling's diving handball in the penalty area! Not losing is the main thing. Obviously a win would be even better.

Pretty sure Dave Martin (Alvin's boy) got MOTM?  It was an even game that I thought we shaded.  Wade marked some kid in their midfield out of the game.  Was a bright young thing apparently? Haven't seen him do anything for them since!

Ipswich who are in 7th, so regardless of being home will be tough, MK away but still around us so potential for a win, Brighton, play offs, recent poor form has been turned into 3 wins, potential to be a 5 game winning streak by when we play them and Forest unbeaten in 10, although quite a few draws.

If we can keep up a point a game average through this providing we don't lose to MK then I think we'd have done okay, 5 points would be nice and anything more is good work.

He'd be as well to leave things alone for a bit and see how they go.

He talked in his interview about how well set-up the club was already but he also talked about how it took time at his previous clubs for his methods to take effect. I don't know if he's starting from somewhere closer to where he wants to end up than previously but I don't think he can afford a run of bad results right now. 9 defeats in a row followed by 7 victories probably would keep us up but would he survive 9 defeats in a row? Far better to try and get the victories in first and make the changes later.

Really hope we can beat Ipswich but a draw is a very likely result IMO given McCarthy sets his sides up to be very organised and we are looking very organised too at the moment.

That said they've lost probably their biggest attacking threat in Fraser to injury at the weekend and Skuse was taken off early and may also miss the game through injury. They're about to sign Lloyd Dyer as a replacement for Fraser by the looks of it.

I wasn't that impressed by Ipswich in the game at Portman Road and I think they are beatable. A win would be huge and give me great confidence that we can stay up. Home form is vital now - need to make AG a fortress. 8 home games left and we need to win at least half of them.

It's a big ask I guess but do able I think! I'm hoping for two wins... This Saturday and away at MK!

Forest and Brighton will be too much for us. 0 points there! 

6 points from the next four would be a solid start! We have been looking a lot more solid as a unit, conceding two goals from 4 games!

It's just the other end that's the problem. 

Pretty tough start for him but let's be honest no games are easy at this level, it's probably one of the hardest leagues to call results in. 

Confidence should be high after the last 4 games, we look organised and hard to beat. I'd be surprised to see too much change from the off in terms of how we set up - though I would like to see Tomlin played in his favoured central position. 

No he doesn't (Have a lot to live up to)

Why are you piling pressure on the guy before he even starts?

Do you perform better if people criticise you?

I suggest you never change jobs as your new colleagues will be suggesting (just like you) that you will be crap in your job !  Think about it

Archived