IGNORED

Sing song on the train back from Charlton

BigAl&Toby

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Its football when its in a stadium where its expected, not in a public place like on a train or in a supermarket etc. where it is out of context and becomes intimidating for women/kids. Its just chavvy, anti-social shite.

Surprised how many don't get that.

I agree. Going to a stadium kids enter an adult environment. I am able to warn my daughter in advance that she will hear things she should certainly not repeat (even occasionally from her Dad!). People innocently using public transport shouldn't have to put up with that sort of behavior from a load of boorish idiots.

As an aside, the choice of 'funny' songs from these boys mark them out as absolute cretins so maybe their disregard for others should come as little surprise.

Blige Blige and forgive me but Blige again... Whatever happened to the sticks and stones attitude ? My children spent their formative years stood on the East End at my side listening to, and getting involved with all the songs without no detrimental effect on their adult lives, if anything it put them in good stead for all the crap that's thrown at you through life.

as an aside I was once on the tube coming away from Chelsea with a train full of city all in high spirits, other people seemed to be enjoying all the songs and banter until a rousing rendition of " knee's up mother brown" erupted...500 plus jumping up and down was a tad worrying, thought it would jump off the tracks !!!

42 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

For a start, it obviously makes a difference if you're singing it a stadium or on a train.  If you're singing it in a stadium then it's not particularly original and you might want to come up with something new by now but it's far from the worst thing I've heard at a football match.  If you're singing it on a train, I think my first question would be "why the Hell do you feel the need to sing that on a train where people may or may not be Leeds fans?" and my second question would be "is that really something you feel good about singing to a bunch of kids?".  I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but I do think a lot of people will think you're a knob and, furthermore, an unoriginal knob who can't come up with new, interesting for funny songs and has to rip off other people's jokes that have long reached their sell-by date.

56 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Where do you draw the line though? For example,  'Jimmy Saville he's one of your own' to Leeds fans is acceptable, or not?

See LB's response above.

It's about appropriate location, graphic content of the song and whether it has any relevance whatsoever. 

Songs about sex with schoolkids and obscene ditties about the murder of a real person have no place on public transport and I don't want them associated with Bristol City.

The rather dull Saville chant v Leeds is at least accurate, not graphic and in a stadium you can expect it and shrug it off and understand it, even if it's not what you'd sing.

I'm not being PC about things. Tonight I know I'll hear a selection of off-colour jokes from Bob the Joke at the pub. If they are funny, I'll laugh. 

But it's about context and appropriate location. 

3 minutes ago, Kingswood mask said:

Blige Blige and forgive me but Blige again... Whatever happened to the sticks and stones attitude ? My children spent their formative years stood on the East End at my side listening to, and getting involved with all the songs without no detrimental effect on their adult lives, if anything it put them in good stead for all the crap that's thrown at you through life.

as an aside I was once on the tube coming away from Chelsea with a train full of city all in high spirits, other people seemed to be enjoying all the songs and banter until a rousing rendition of " knee's up mother brown" erupted...500 plus jumping up and down was a tad worrying, thought it would jump off the tracks !!!

Thing is though that you, as a parent, you have a right to decide how you want your children to be raised.  If someone wants their kids exposed to the atmosphere of a football match, and the language and culture around that, then that's absolutely brilliant and I'd want the same for my kids.  But that should be your choice as a parent to expose your child to that situation and not something anyone should force on you.  Especially as it depends on age too.  I was eight at my first football match and found someone of the naughty words being used quite funny but also knew they were bad words I shouldn't repeat to my teachers or my mother. 

But I also respect other people's wishes for their kids.  For example my brother's little ones are three years and four months respectively.  My brother and his wife don't feel they're ready to listen to swearing yet and so they don't swear around them and ask me and the rest of their family and friends to try not to.  It's not always easy - my brother and his wife aren't exactly wallflowers and they have to catch themselves at times, as do I, but it's the choice they've made and they have a right to make it.  Either my brother or me might take them to a football match in a future, and we'll have a chat and tell them what to expect, but my brother and his wife will wait until they feel their kids are ready for that and it's perfectly reasonable not to expect a load of drunken, noisy idiots singing songs that make my brother, his wife or his kids uncomfortable in the meantime.  Unless I specifically know what someone is comfortable with for their children, I try not to swear in front of them and, as I obviously won't know anyone on a train or a bus and won't know what they feel comfortable with for their children or indeed themselves, it seems a good rule to follow then too.

Nobody is saying people should avoid swearing or singing explicit songs at football matches - even if most of the time they tend to be nowhere near as funny as the people singing them seem to think - but a train is not a football match.  What you're doing then is not saying "I've decided I'm happy to raise my children to hear swearing so I'll take them to a football match" but saying "I've got a right to decide what's best for other people's children and I'll swear in front of them in public away from a football match whether they're comfortable with it or not" and that's really not particularly impressive behaviour. 

12 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

If people can't understand that singing this type of song on public transport is just plain wrong, It draws into question their upbringing and morals. How can it be argued in any way to be acceptable. Some people are beyond saving.

f f s, really.

1 minute ago, leadman said:

f f s, really.

Let's be honest.  Even if someone's not personally bothered by people singing explicit songs on public transport, it's still a little weird that people are passionately defending their right to swear aggressively at kids.  It doesn't really seem that high on the list of things worth fighting for. 

6 hours ago, lenred said:

If you are referring to Lyle and Scott as I'm guessing you are then  are you aware that it is a golf brand originally? Traditionally a game for the older gentlemen? So by the sounds of your report they were the right demographic!

Don't really see what relevance what make of clothing they were wearing has though tbh. Doesn't affect what came out of their mouth does it?

Nope. It doesn't. Just makes them look more pathetic. It was of course Lyle and Scott. And he looked so smart with his bomber jacket done up to his neck.

Far better than one of his mates who was wearing very odd - and to be honest - dreadful knitwear.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The only song that would have offended him is the one about jihadi John mate.

Let me add some more context about the conts who sang about Jihadi John.

That little ditty, along with Mr Lyle and Scott asking if "anyone could hear anything ticking" only started when two Muslim women wearing hijabs got on. 

If singing a song about Jill Dando or your neighbour's daughter wasn't offensive enough then I'd say this was.

Prawn sandwich brigade? Rugby songs? Not really.

Making Bristol Proud? Not at all.

6 hours ago, 42nite said:

The OP asked the question,

Was it you?

Doesn't look as if anyone's stepped forward yet.

Be interesting to hear the views of someody actually involved.

That is, if any of them can remember.

Only a tiny tiny percentage of our fanbase visit this forum so not sure why you are surprised that no one has come forward yet. What makes you think the persons concerned are regular visitors here. They probably haven't got a clue this thread exists.

When people say things on here like 'it seems a large majority of our fans think that.....' what they are actually saying is 'the majority of a tiny section of our fanbase think that...'

5 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Let me add some more context about the conts who sang about Jihadi John.

That little ditty, along with Mr Lyle and Scott asking if "anyone could hear anything ticking" only started when two Muslim women wearing hijabs got on. 

If singing a song about Jill Dando or your neighbour's daughter wasn't offensive enough then I'd say this was.

Prawn sandwich brigade? Rugby songs? Not really.

Making Bristol Proud? Not at all.

Embarrassing to say the least. Quite aside from the lack of imagination, respect or manners, it makes them sound like a bunch of bumpkins who've never set foot in a big city before. I really don't think that kind of twattery is representative of most bristol city fans and I find it odd anyone would defend that sort of behaviour.

4 hours ago, erndogz said:

I was part of a group kicked off a train for singing Black and White Minstrels songs a few years ago. Not one mention of willies hanging out either.

I was once thrown out of 'Le Chateau' on Park Street (now The Ram) on a Friday night for 'laughing too loudly' - I kid you not! No swearing, nothing inappropriate, just laughing! 

I still can't believe it...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was once thrown out of 'Le Chateau' on Park Street (now The Ram) on a Friday night for 'laughing too loudly' - I kid you not! No swearing, nothing inappropriate, just laughing! 

I still can't believe it...

Ah the Chateau. And was it 51 Park Street opposite?

Best tiramisu I've ever had......

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Only a tiny tiny percentage of our fanbase visit this forum so not sure why you are surprised that no one has come forward yet. What makes you think the persons concerned are regular visitors here. They probably haven't got a clue this thread exists.

When people say things on here like 'it seems a large majority of our fans think that.....' what they are actually saying is 'the majority of a tiny section of our fanbase think that...'

I'm not surprised at all.  I really didn't expect any one of them to admit they were involved.

But a few on here seem to be defending their disgusting behaviour, wouldn't you agree?

I was one of the people singing, and i wont apologise for it, if we offended you can i just ask why didnt you say anything? 

I hate the way football is going, its boring to be honest, and that is down to people like you.. Who moan and complain about everything.

Please feel free in future away games to talk to me if you have a problem. 

Must be better that writing it anonymously on here.

16 hours ago, robbs4 said:

I was one of the people singing, and i wont apologise for it, if we offended you can i just ask why didnt you say anything? 

I hate the way football is going, its boring to be honest, and that is down to people like you.. Who moan and complain about everything.

Out of interest, do you think that - for example - a  young woman with her kids would feel comfortable talking to you if her kids felt a bit intimidated or she felt uncomfortable with the language you were using?  Groups of people singing sweary songs on public transport can be quite frightening, especially if you don't know then and don't know how aggressive they'll be and perhaps there were people on the train who weren't very comfortable or who felt a bit intimidated but were too frightened to speak to you.

16 hours ago, robbs4 said:

Just out  of interest what has Jill Dando and Jihad John got to do with football?

17 hours ago, robbs4 said:

Robbs4.

Would you have sang the songs in front of your own kids? Or mother?

That's all. I'll be interested to hear your reply.

17 hours ago, robbs4 said:

Yeah! All you boring people who just turn up to watch the football!

Don't you realise that Football was invented for men to get hammered and sing vile songs that have no relevance to what is happening on the pitch!?

Whatever next!? You'll be telling us to stop fighting next!

;)

Society has lost its moral compass as far as I'm afraid. Anti social behaviour is deplorable. Football has changed along with society and mirrors it.  At times I'm embarrassed to be associated with Bristol City due to some of its Neanderthal supporters. Will only get worse I suppose. God bless the real decent fans. 

5 minutes ago, shelts said:

Society has lost its moral compass as far as I'm afraid. Anti social behaviour is deplorable. Football has changed along with society and mirrors it.  At times I'm embarrassed to be associated with Bristol City due to some of its Neanderthal supporters. Will only get worse I suppose. God bless the real decent fans. 

Thing is though shelts, even people standing at games seems to offend you. Where's the boundary in your opinion?

Archived