IGNORED

Sing song on the train back from Charlton

BigAl&Toby

Was it you?

Who took the train back from Charlton and got off at London Bridge? Last carriage?

One of you was wearing an interesting item of knitwear with jeans and brown shoes. One of your singing companions looked very sweet in his Tate & Lyle bomber jacket. He looked very cool for an older gent what with it down up to the neck. Shame though about his Dastardly and Muttley chuckle.

Also a shame about the choice of songs. Twice Daily, Gold or a hearty Drink up thee cider would have been far more appropriate than singing about Jill Dando, Jihadi John, men wearing orange with "their willies hanging out" or any of the other pathetic nonsense you managed.

There was a huge sigh of relief when you got off to have some more London Pride. Even from the young children who were stood next to you.

Hope you got home safely and enjoyed your day out. Even if it nearly spoiled mine.

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

So bad it took three days to put on here

46 minutes ago, UncleAlbert said:

I don't know why I bother with this forum any more.

22 minutes ago, UK0wnag3 said:

He had to wait for the smoke bomb to clear...

So were you 3 part of the choir? You think it's acceptable to sing "songs" like that? 

I take it you know the "lyrics"? And on a train with kids in it?

Deary me. Clearly we're living in a world of different standards. Mine aren't that high or unusual but I draw a line at the sort of tasteless stuff that I heard on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

So were you 3 part of the choir? You think it's acceptable to sing "songs" like that? 

Deary me. Clearly we're living in a world of different standards. Mine aren't that high or unusual but I draw a line at the sort of tasteless stuff that I heard on Saturday.

Mate with respect, everybody is different, older or young. We have different ways of enjoying City games! Obviously the lads next to you liked a drink and a sing song. They were probably out of it by this point, not defending that though!

But you need to understand you will get this at City games, especially playing away...

20 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Must be one of the aristocratic few from the south stand, probably dismayed by the lack of prawn sandwiches on the tube. Never went to Charlton but who cares what a nameless few sang on the train. Maybe you should go watch rugby if you're looking for a higher class demographic. Also I wouldn't go patronising anyone for having "low standards", we all support city on this forum and I think if anyone had any standards they wouldn't follow a team that was struggling at the bottom of the championship. 

Really thought you were on about my lot for a minute ... Luckily we were actually being polite with our songs and weren't in the last carriage... Yes I do agree songs like that don't really have a place in public And should stay on the away end But songs like that do make what our sport is...

much preffered our singing about everything that happened ' do you want a mint'

' he's got a mint' so forth 

• Admin
1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Assume you've never heard any rugby fans' songs?

PS, no I wasn't on that train I was kindly diverted via Waterloo by GWR 

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Assume you've never heard any rugby fans' songs?

PS, no I wasn't on that train I was kindly diverted via Waterloo by GWR 

Not ones that sing about Jill Dando being shot, an unhealthy fascination with your neighbour's young daughter or any other such stuff. And certainly not on a train where there were kids.

I'd use some of the actual words used if it would provide some context - Christ I almost did - but as a Mod I'd expect you would then have a view.

Hey ho.

1 hour ago, UncleAlbert said:

Must be one of the aristocratic few from the south stand, probably dismayed by the lack of prawn sandwiches on the tube. Never went to Charlton but who cares what a nameless few sang on the train. Maybe you should go watch rugby if you're looking for a higher class demographic. Also I wouldn't go patronising anyone for having "low standards", we all support city on this forum and I think if anyone had any standards they wouldn't follow a team that was struggling at the bottom of the championship. 

Completely irrelevant. You seem upset. You think it's acceptable to sing something offensive and out of context? 

Remove the o e x and t and you'll know the sort of thing I mean. Sing it in your workplace. Sing it at the supermarket. Sing it to your kids. Sing it to your mother.

Nothing to do with aristocracy, prawn sandwiches, demographics or standards really is it?

Like I said. Sing it to your kids, or your friends kids. Would that raise a smile?

I'm no prude but anyone who thinks songs about paedophilia or Jill Dando's murder are part of football "banter" is a dick.

My view is the same as last time we discussed this topic. These songs should be discontinued. They make the singers sound like morons and I'd rather not have morons associated with this club.

I know Jill's family and would have "had a word" had I been there.

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Was it you?

Who took the train back from Charlton and got off at London Bridge? Last carriage?

One of you was wearing an interesting item of knitwear with jeans and brown shoes. One of your singing companions looked very sweet in his Tate & Lyle bomber jacket. He looked very cool for an older gent what with it down up to the neck. Shame though about his Dastardly and Muttley chuckle.

Also a shame about the choice of songs. Twice Daily, Gold or a hearty Drink up thee cider would have been far more appropriate than singing about Jill Dando, Jihadi John, men wearing orange with "their willies hanging out" or any of the other pathetic nonsense you managed.

There was a huge sigh of relief when you got off to have some more London Pride. Even from the young children who were stood next to you.

Hope you got home safely and enjoyed your day out. Even if it nearly spoiled mine.

Didn't realise Tate and Lyle have added a clothing range alongside their Sugar production?

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm no prude but anyone who thinks songs about paedophilia or Jill Dando's murder are part of football "banter" is a dick.

My view is the same as last time we discussed this topic. These songs should be discontinued. They make the singers sound like morons and I'd rather not have morons associated with this club.

Agree that a bit of nouse should be used outside the ground on public transport especially but it can go too far. Someone was whinging about 'my old man' being sung at the actual game a few weeks ago which was taking it way too far imho. 

As a side note, I've always found the Jill Dando song just incredibly weird ever since its inception on the east end years ago. Never understood it!  

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bugger me. I thought I was a lone voice.

******** was a phrase that was used. Towards someone who did pass comment as he left the train before the wannabe Jacksons.

These singers were "big boys". You could tell by their faces and "uniform".;)

I'd expect that I have more of a feeling of almost 'anything goes' when it comes to songs at football than most, certainly if they're funny or in any way clever.

The fascination by some with singing about Jimmy Saville for 90 minutes whenever we play in Yorkshire however is so boring and lacking in comedy it is painful. In the main always started by the same kid singing in an annoying accent and then laughing on his own at his own 'jokes'. 

If you are referring to Lyle and Scott as I'm guessing you are then  are you aware that it is a golf brand originally? Traditionally a game for the older gentlemen? So by the sounds of your report they were the right demographic!

Don't really see what relevance what make of clothing they were wearing has though tbh. Doesn't affect what came out of their mouth does it?

4 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Bugger me. I thought I was a lone voice.

******** was a phrase that was used. Towards someone who did pass comment as he left the train before the wannabe Jacksons.

These singers were "big boys". You could tell by their faces and "uniform".;)

Christ alive. Do typing duck head is replaced with ***s but singing songs that use far worse is acceptable it seems.

And in some odd way deemed less of an issue by a Mod. How odd.

1 hour ago, PeterStyvarsRightFoot said:

much preffered our singing about everything that happened ' do you want a mint'

' he's got a mint' so forth 

Yeah it was all fun and games until someone starts choking on that mint. Be careful people :P;):D

14 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Christ alive. Do typing duck head is replaced with ***s but singing songs that use far worse is acceptable it seems.

And in some odd way deemed less of an issue by a Mod. How odd.

Did you argue with yourself on the reply above?!

FWIW - I agree about the choice of songs, time and a place. I'm no prude, and I'm sure I've been involved in such things when I was younger

As with others, the Jill Dando stuff I just don't get

Fair play to the OP for starting this thread and sticking his head over the parapet.  I suspect far more people agree with him than feel comfortable saying so for fear of being labelled prudes but, as @Red-Robbo says, there's a massive difference between drunken football banter and some of stuff mentioned here.  Quite apart from anything else, I was still in school when Jill Dando was shot.  I'm in my early 30s now.  I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is still signing something that topically outdated. If you are going to sing recycled songs about Jill Dando, paedophilia or Jihadi John, you have to accept the consequence of that is that the vast majority of people will think you're an unimaginative, boring, unfunny and a whole host of things that won't make it through the swear filters of this forum, 

Secondly there's also a difference between what you do at football ground or in a pub or on public transport.  I swear like anything around friends, especially after a few beers, and I've very limited sympathy with people who complain about swearing at football matches but the fact you're going to a football match does not excuse you from behaving like a decent human being and respecting the people around you who are not going to a football match.  Swearing loudly or singing explicit on public transport when people are around with their kids is quite simply knobbish behaviour and that's the end of it.  It's not about being one of the prawn sandwich brigade or not appreciating that other people like to enjoy football differently to you.  It's simply that people who cannot control themselves in public places and not sing loud sweary songs in front of kids on public transport seriously need to look at themselves in the mirror.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Where do you draw the line though? For example,  'Jimmy Saville he's one of your own' to Leeds fans is acceptable, or not?

Just now, cynic said:

Whats that got to do with a bunch of pissed up blokes on a train singing inappropriate songs containing offensive language to the general public and kids ?

Well, if you were to sing it in a stadium or on a train it would still be in front of the public and kids. 

Just now, Collis1 said:

Where do you draw the line though? For example,  'Jimmy Saville he's one of your own' to Leeds fans is acceptable, or not?

For a start, it obviously makes a difference if you're singing it a stadium or on a train.  If you're singing it in a stadium then it's not particularly original and you might want to come up with something new by now but it's far from the worst thing I've heard at a football match.  If you're singing it on a train, I think my first question would be "why the Hell do you feel the need to sing that on a train where people may or may not be Leeds fans?" and my second question would be "is that really something you feel good about singing to a bunch of kids?".  I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but I do think a lot of people will think you're a knob and, furthermore, an unoriginal knob who can't come up with new, interesting for funny songs and has to rip off other people's jokes that have long reached their sell-by date.

Archived