IGNORED

Apologies for yet another Lee Johnson thread But

NickJ

I am an attention seeker.

And so after careful consideration, here's my take on this.

What I thought of LJ as a player is irrelevant; since the ripe old age of 31, he has no longer played.

What I thought of losing statistically the most successful manager we ever had no longer matters; he is gone.

What I think of our board's competence is inconsequential; I have no say.

Fact is, LJ is our manager.

Do I think this is a wise choice? No. It will end badly, is my prediction. Badly for us, that is. On the other hand I think LJ's bank balance will be enhanced to the same degree as SL's is diminished, as is the normal course of managerial events at BCFC.

Do I think LJ will keep us in the Championship? No.

Do I think we will stay up? Yes.

The 2 are different questions.

But weighing everything up, if certain people (Mr Lansdown, Mr Ashton, Mr spudski,) are to be believed, the remainder of the season will be a walk in the park.

In SC, it is said, we had a manager who was stubborn, wouldn't use his substitutes, wouldn't change formation, kept players on too long, wouldn't play the youngsters. Very rarely was the criticism that we didn't have the players.

LJ on the other hand, so they say, is a sought after coach (by Premier teams no less), a forward thinker, intelligent, articulate, buys into the committee philosophy, not a bully.

And Mr Ashton, well he has brought us in not just a head coach but all the players which SC couldn't, no?

What can possibly go wrong?

LJ blotted his copybook very badly for me one New Years Day at Leyton Orient a few years back, an act which I am surprised has not been mentioned.

I think his appointment is utter madness, although I suspect, notwithstanding Mr Ashton's bold claims, there were few credible alternatives.

But....

I met LJ briefly once, I found no reason to dislike him, as a human being. What is more, I did not want to dislike him.

Welcome back to Bristol City LJ, you are head honcho now, if you do all the things that I think you will not, you will have earned your praise and I will happily eat humble pie.

Johnson says, bounce around the ground.

Nearly a good thread. Slightly inflammatory. All about opinions I suppose. The past is the past, look back but don't stare. Lots on this forum want to see him fail so they can say I told you so, should've kept Cotts. 

We will stay up I'm sure about that and a massive part will be the work of Pembo and Wade and topped off by Little Lee. 

COYR

29 minutes ago, NickJ said:

What I thought of LJ as a player is irrelevant; since the ripe old age of 31, he has no longer played.

What I thought of losing statistically the most successful manager we ever had no longer matters; he is gone.

Do I think this is a wise choice? No. It will end badly, is my prediction. Badly for us, that is. On the other hand I think LJ's bank balance will be enhanced to the same degree as SL's is diminished, as is the normal course of managerial events at BCFC.

But weighing everything up, if certain people (Mr Lansdown, Mr Ashton, Mr spudski,) are to be believed, the remainder of the season will be a walk in the park.

In SC, it is said, we had a manager who was stubborn, wouldn't use his substitutes, wouldn't change formation, kept players on too long, wouldn't play the youngsters. Very rarely was the criticism that we didn't have the players.

LJ on the other hand, so they say, is a sought after coach (by Premier teams no less), a forward thinker, intelligent, articulate, buys into the committee philosophy, not a bully.

And Mr Ashton, well he has brought us in not just a head coach but all the players which SC couldn't, no?

LJ blotted his copybook very badly for me one New Years Day at Leyton Orient a few years back, an act which I am surprised has not been mentioned.

I think his appointment is utter madness, although I suspect, notwithstanding Mr Ashton's bold claims, there were few credible alternatives.

But....

I met LJ briefly once, I found no reason to dislike him, as a human being. What is more, I did not want to dislike him.

Welcome back to Bristol City LJ, you are head honcho now, if you do all the things that I think you will not, you will have earned your praise and I will happily eat humble pie.

So the bottom line is you like him but can't forgive him for what he did that Boxing Day....did what?

SC had lost the plot, I and many don't know why he didn't use the bench, and refused to put out a formation that defended the goal. That for me is one of life's mysteries, in a way he got himself sacked, either way it was very very odd, and if we are to believe there were issues between him and SL, then you might think that he did have a certain agenda all of his own.

So it is any wonder the Board were seeking unity? LJ will work with the coaches I hope, and not be too proud to take advice from Pembo.So why you think his appointment is utter madness is a an odd statement, when seeing the madness that was SC in the end. I liked Cotts, he was a bit mad, and spoke like us, and a bit mad like us too, but he is a flawed character, very stubborn, and not probably a team player.

I hope like you Lee can turn things around, but we all have reservations. What I find the strangest of all is that why appoint Lee now, a coach with little experience when I guess we needed a vibrant character that has been there done that, a bit like dare I say Neil Warnock? That would have made more sense.  In Lee we have a junior head coach, behind Pembo, but one for the future, the most pleasing outcome for me is that Pembo has had a contract extension, that to me is Gold. 

Fingers crossed it all comes good.

7 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

So the bottom line is you like him but can't forgive him for what he did that Boxing Day....did what?

On one of the numerous other threads, someone suggested he once gave the finger to some travelling supporters, I am guessing that NickJ is referring to this. As I remember the abuse that he used to receive from the fans throughout his career in his time here , the fact this only occurred once is in my opinion a testament to him, rather something to castigate him for.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

On one of the numerous other threads, someone suggested he once gave the finger to some travelling supporters, I am guessing that NickJ is referring to this. As I remember the abuse that he used to receive from the fans throughout his career in his time here , the fact this only occurred once is in my opinion a testament to him, rather something to castigate him for.

Absolutely. It was a mistake on LJs part, but very pious of individuals to keep bringing that up as if it was personally aimed at them; it wasn't, it was aimed at bellends who deserved it who you just so happened to be stood amongst.

Ill advised, of course, forgiveable and forgettable, it absolutely should be and it is embarrassing of those that just can't do that. 

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I went to Orient away on New Year's Day a few years back, LJ was getting abuse from a few people or maybe even one person. Course Johnson pops up with a goal and aims a response to the fan giving him stick. I take it that's the incident he's talking about?

Two points Nick:

1) LJ blotted his copybook 'very badly' at Orient away in your opinion. SC was caught on camera f-ing and blinding at a supporter in his last game in charge and your view on this was, and I quote, 'SC deserves praise for his restraint'. How do you square these two comments?

2) I agree with you and suspect there were few credible alternatives and when you take out the fantasy appointments (Moyes, Pearson, Monk etc) then LJ actually stands up to be as good a choice as any, and particularly in a situation where continuity is helpful - with his previous involvement in the club, he brings that. Difficult to say his appointment his 'utter madness' when you consider this. Appointing Holloway would've been 'utter madness', LJ - nah not even close.

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

But....

Can we all just calm the fukc down please!!!!???? 

I was delighted with Coppell's appointment and it all turned to dust.

I was luke warm over McInnes and things did not go well.

I was happy at O'Driscoll's appointment and it was a disaster.

I hated SC's appointment and it was one of are most successful seasons for years.

So I come to accept that I am just here for the ride, and try not to get to worked up over who's appointed, because I realise I know nothing....

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Two points Nick:

1) LJ blotted his copybook 'very badly' at Orient away in your opinion. SC was caught on camera f-ing and blinding at a supporter in his last game in charge and your view on this was, and I quote, 'SC deserves praise for his restraint'. How do you square these two comments?

2) I agree with you and suspect there were few credible alternatives and when you take out the fantasy appointments (Moyes, Pearson, Monk etc) then LJ actually stands up to be as good a choice as any, and particularly in a situation where continuity is helpful - with his previous involvement in the club, he brings that. Difficult to say his appointment his 'utter madness' when you consider this. Appointing Holloway would've been 'utter madness', LJ - nah not even close.

Can't disagree with any of that

If we all just decided to get behind LJ and back the lads we're gonna come out of this a lot better at the end of it. Lets save the 'told you so's' until LJ is sacked or goes on to a Prem club. All the chat now is just cock waving, it's happened, get used to it

14 hours ago, NickJ said:

So are you saying we are going to sack LJ before the end of the season and Pembo & Wade will keep us up! Let's sack him at 2:30 on Saturday just before kick off.

14 hours ago, shelts said:

Lots on this forum want to see him fail so they can say I told you so, should've kept Cotts. 

This line is often said on OTIB, but I reckon it's completely untrue. I just can't see that any City fan would want to see a manager fail just to so they can puff their chest on a forum.

I'm calling BS.

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Can't disagree with any of that

If we all just decided to get behind LJ and back the lads we're gonna come out of this a lot better at the end of it. Lets save the 'told you so's' until LJ is sacked or goes on to a Prem club. All the chat now is just cock waving, it's happened, get used to it

Cock waving is probably the best description I've seen for all the stuff fired about on OTIB during the past five days or so.

Everyone has opinions, of course, but at this stage we're all just guessing whether the appointment will be any good or not. As a group of supporters we should probably know that as well as anyone by now.

At least, after the initial commotion, the consensus seems to be one of support for Lee, whether unhappy or not. I think that's the main thing.

7 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

14 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

This line is often said on OTIB, but I reckon it's completely untrue. I just can't see that any City fan would want to see a manager fail just to so they can puff their chest on a forum.

I'm calling BS.

I'm not so sure Sir C-T.

Some posters seem to have a real and ongoing agenda as far as the club is concerned - SL, board and now Ashton - and do appear to have an appetite to pull apart and criticise just about everything the club does and every decision it makes. Against that background, while I am not suggesting they want the manager to fail, they would probably be more than happy to say " I told you so" if only to show that they were right and the club was wrong. This forum should be about opinions, and opinions that will differ, but some seem to want to always prove that they are right and everyone else is wrong ( usually described as the happy clappers)

As so many have already said, there is no guarantee with any manager appointment, even had it been the apparent favourites - Moyes, Person, Monk - and none of us knows the various factors the club had to take into account when making the appointment. Not least whether any of the so called favourites were prepared to come here, or if they did demanded terms that were simply outside what the club was prepared or could afford to offer. Lee may well have been the best candidate available and prepared to take the job.

37 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Cock waving is probably the best description I've seen for all the stuff fired about on OTIB during the past five days or so.

Everyone has opinions, of course, but at this stage we're all just guessing whether the appointment will be any good or not. As a group of supporters we should probably know that as well as anyone by now.

At least, after the initial commotion, the consensus seems to be one of support for Lee, whether unhappy or not. I think that's the main thing.

I've learned from being ultra critical of the appointment and process leading up to it of SC. I was also happy with DMac and SOD. Proves what I know, I'll keep my mouth shut this time around.....although I have to say, LJ's appt has really grown on me. He knows the club, he cares about the club. A little bit of the Eddie Howe about all this for me, would be chuffed to bits if LJ can pull off what EH has

6 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I've learned from being ultra critical of the appointment and process leading up to it of SC. I was also happy with DMac and SOD. Proves what I know, I'll keep my mouth shut this time around.....although I have to say, LJ's appt has really grown on me. He knows the club, he cares about the club. A little bit of the Eddie Howe about all this for me, would be chuffed to bits if LJ can pull off what EH has

"Would be chuffed to bits if LJ  can pull off what EH has " 

:shocking:

53 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

343573121_e52219a2b6_z.jpg

Cock waving is preferable to cock fighting in my book. But enough about my book 

13 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

A little bit of the Eddie Howe about all this for me, would be chuffed to bits if LJ can pull off what EH has

EH had no few £millions in getting out of the Championship, and a fair few more this season. Not sure LJ will get quite as much

20 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Cock waving is preferable to cock fighting in my book. But enough about my book 

EH had no few £millions in getting out of the Championship, and a fair few more this season. Not sure LJ will get quite as much

He also took them off the bottom of Div 4, after a 17 point deduction, and no money to spend, and got promotion the following year, despite a transfer embargo.......but lets not let that get in the way of the EH / AFCB hate on here

Archived