IGNORED

Blue Lines: Unfortunate Title, Brilliant Record.....

Jack Dawe

...really, quite an outstanding piece of work. Even 25 years on. And it's by one (or two) of our own. It is one of our own. So why the hell do we never hear anything from it played at AG?

The Wurzels are ours, and we play them. Fine, no problem. Why not MA (unfortunate abbreviation)? Too laid back? Too dreamy? Too whispery? Too what, exactly?

Man Utd play Stone Roses and Joy Division songs, Man City Oasis ones (I think?), Leicester play Showaddywaddy. But we don't play Massive Attack. What have we got for brains on our PA - cotton wool?

As everything becomes more and more homogonized across every ground, here is a perfect way - along with the Wurzels - to be distinct, to say: this is Bristol. This is us.

United fans have a banner with "One Love" on it, the title of a Stone Roses song (next up: a "Fools Gold" one) and there's a song on Blue Lines with the same title. Be nice to see @WTMS or whoever knocking up a City banner with this on (although I know you don't want us copying other fans).

Be even better to hear it. Better than that user-friendly, probably franchised sub-Coldplay generic muzak that is played around kick off. What do you think?

Blue Lines tunes for this season:

Safe From Harm.

Be Thankful For What You've Got.

Five Man Midfield.

And what other local music/tunes could be played at AG?

38 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

...really, quite an outstanding piece of work. Even 25 years on. And it's by one (or two) of our own. It is one of our own. So why the hell do we never hear anything from it played at AG?

The Wurzels are ours, and we play them. Fine, no problem. Why not MA (unfortunate abbreviation)? Too laid back? Too dreamy? Too whispery? Too what, exactly?

Man Utd play Stone Roses and Joy Division songs, Man City Oasis ones (I think?), Leicester play Showaddywaddy. But we don't play Massive Attack. What have we got for brains on our PA - cotton wool?

As everything becomes more and more homogonized across every ground, here is a perfect way - along with the Wurzels - to be distinct, to say: this is Bristol. This is us.

United fans have a banner with "One Love" on it, the title of a Stone Roses song (next up: a "Fools Gold" one) and there's a song on Blue Lines with the same title. Be nice to see @WTMS or whoever knocking up a City banner with this on (although I know you don't want us copying other fans).

Be even better to hear it. Better than that user-friendly, probably franchised sub-Coldplay generic muzak that is played around kick off. What do you think?

Safe From Harm.

Five Man Midfield.

Bizarrely only hours ago a topic similar to this was discussed ... Perhaps something may occur.

It has been approached before but the sense a making Ashton Gate unique has to be shared v creating a  ground that is neutral to appease ??

The Eastends drum was nicknamed Mabel, the old surfer George, the Robin Ernie, and its mural carried the phrase When the Moon Shines [WTMS] ... And on.

A banner/mural featuring the Blue Lines / Inflammable Material logo would be simple, but as discussed today what can be done with it, where is this all going ... Fans do not know what next season holds e.g position of away fans, unreserved seating, Dolman A-B.

Unfinished Sympathy is 25 years old tomorrow (released 11th Feb 1991)

I always tell @Tim S he should play more MA and he occasionally gives into me. I wholeheartedly agree we should embrace MA as much as we do the Wurzels.

9 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

Great idea, not just Massive Attack but our City is full of all genre's of music.

There must be other artists/ bands that are City.

Personally love punk and metal but not sure which Bristol bands are red. 

Roni Size and Portishead (well Geoff Barrow anyway) are both Gas. 

9 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

Great idea, not just Massive Attack but our City is full of all genre's of music.

There must be other artists/ bands that are City.

Personally love punk and metal but not sure which Bristol bands are red. 

Chaos UK, Disorder and the Vice Squad all had members who were City fans. One is now more respectable looking and a Dolman season ticket holder.

Chaos UK's "cider I up landlord" has been used on City fans youtube clips of the 3 Lions flag days.

49 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Safe From Harm.

Five Man Midfield.

I've never understood why we don't get far more MA played at Ashton Gate, after all, they are our own.

4 minutes ago, WTMS said:

Chaos UK, Disorder and the Vice Squad all had members who were City fans. One is now more respectable looking and a Dolman season ticket holder.

Chaos UK's "cider I up landlord" has been used on City fans youtube clips of the 3 Lions flag days.

Didn't chaos uk morph into A. D. Rice and the Wazzuks, the Adge Cutler punk tribute band?

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Didn't chaos uk morph into A. D. Rice and the Wazzuks, the Adge Cutler punk tribute band?

Yes ... Played at Ashton Court - Drink up thy cider was greeted with the customary football inspired chorus.

If you are interested in similar look into the Surfin Turnips.

1 minute ago, WTMS said:

Yes ... Played at Ashton Court - Drink up thy cider was greeted with the customary football inspired chorus.

If you are interested in similar look into the Surfin Turnips.

I saw the Wazzuks at the old Florikan in BS3 the night before Wembley in 2000. Utterly sh*tfaced   

Have listened to the Turnips  - Back on the Lash is a great album  

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Great list of bristol bands on Wiki -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_Bristol

Remember KPassa smashing Ashton Court Festival several times in the early 90s.

Set me off remembering Ashton Court in the 1980s (only years I went):  recall The Flatmates.  One or both of Brilliant Corners and Blue Aeroplanes.  No idea who else.  Happy days, I guess.

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

iSet me off remembering Ashton Court in the 1980s (only years I went):  recall The Flatmates.  One or both of Brilliant Corners and Blue Aeroplanes.  No idea who else.  Happy days, I guess

If you liked the Brilliant Corners, you may be interested in Davey Woodwards New band, Karen. Spent many a Saturday afternoon on the East End with Dave as he was, and still is, very good friends with my uncles who introduced me to City. One of said uncles was lead singer and founder of Rhythm Party, who often played at Ashton Court in the 80s, with Si John, now of Reprazent, on bass.

32 minutes ago, WTMS said:

A banner/mural featuring the Blue Lines / Inflammable Material logo would be simple, but as discussed today what can be done with it, where is this all going ... Fans do not know what next season holds e.g position of away fans, unreserved seating, Dolman A-B.

I suggested only last week that this should feature in the 'sticker collection' and hopefully will soon...

'Forza Bristol City' (& Napoli) is of course immortalised in the inset of Blue Lines and should maybe feature on more flags too.

@Tomarse think I'm right in saying that's the first track 3D has rapped on since Blue Lines too.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I suggested only last week that this should feature in the 'sticker collection' and hopefully will soon...

'Forza Bristol City' (& Napoli) is of course immortalised in the inset of Blue Lines and should maybe feature on more flags too.

@Tomarse think I'm right in saying that's the first track 3D has rapped on since Blue Lines too.

Yep, good interview with 3D in the Guardian about it - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/29/massive-attack-someone-ready-to-bash-head-in-tour

Maybe they are going to finish the tour off in style with a celebration of Bristol Music at the new AG...  :fingerscrossed:

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Post Beki Vice Squad, corny backing vocals at the end by assorted City boys. Dave ( guitar) was a big City fan, sadly no longer with us.

A friend of mine here used to play in a punk band in the 1970s, and having been kicked out (or left) home, he lived in a squat for a period of time with, among others, Beki Bondage.

Archived