IGNORED

Blue Lines: Unfortunate Title, Brilliant Record.....

Jack Dawe

Lets play some Brilliant Corners a lovely indie band that didn't quite make it fronted by Davey Woodward from Avonmouth and a big City fan in the 90's. We could have some ' Brian Rix' or 'Teenage' now that would be scenes!!

Anyone heard of them.....I thought they was cool. Jingly jangly indie pop.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I suggested only last week that this should feature in the 'sticker collection' and hopefully will soon...

'Forza Bristol City' (& Napoli) is of course immortalised in the inset of Blue Lines and should maybe feature on more flags too.

@Tomarse think I'm right in saying that's the first track 3D has rapped on since Blue Lines too.

It was done previously in sticker form. 

Sticker sales to finance flags need a stand to put them up in.

Some cracking vids on this thread! Loving it.  Given we're meant to be embracing all things local with down market street.. its only fair we embrace our local music scene fully as well..

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Always reassuring to see that some musicians dance as badly as me.

Flatmates' bassist is/was gas, he went to my school (and was actually in my class) but showed no interest in football at all whilst he was there (insert joke here)...

Down to football here we go
Tried to find last years foe
They live behind a different scarf
So we fight them for a laugh

More young blood, every night, okay, life down the drain
More young blood, every night, okay, isn't it a shame
More young blood, every night, okay, spilt in the streets
More young blood, every night

Here they come over the park
Shouts and war cries in the dark
Flash of steel, end of fun
Growing up has just begun

Vice Squad

The thing about MA is, it's not going to scare the kiddies or offend the sensitive like Chaos Uk or some of the others. Blue Lines crops up in almost any "Best album of all time" article in national newspapers or music mags (although it was "Protection" in the last one I read). Away fans will recognise the better known tunes, they will know it is locally made, they will know they are in Bristol.

Not everyone will like MA, but not everyone likes the Wurzels. I cannot see why both are not part of the fhrniture down AG. Some of MA's stuff is perfect for building the mood, for matchday, to my ears anyway. It only needs to be one piece, about four minutes, not a whole album!

It's critically acclaimed and known around the world, ffs! God love the Wurzels, but no one's going to scoff and take the piss out of us if we play MA, make our younger ones :facepalm: as they walk out.

I just don't get the people that run things at AG

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Set me off remembering Ashton Court in the 1980s (only years I went):  recall The Flatmates.  One or both of Brilliant Corners and Blue Aeroplanes.  No idea who else.  Happy days, I guess.

Nice to see Gravenhurst and **** Buttons in that wiki... No Ekoplekz or Beak though (Although Beak is a side project of Geoff Barrow I think)

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Roni Size and Portishead (well Geoff Barrow anyway) are both Gas. 

Can't believe how many times i have to post this: none of Portishead know anything about football at all. I once went to see us play at Notts Co with one-time Portishead dj Andy Smith and he has not a clue about football (and is happy that way). Nor do any of them, he said. I play 5-a-side with Geoff Barrow (and have 11-a-side for ten years). He's a Spurs fan. That's why he has a Spurs sports bag. He goes up the Mem sometimes because it's near where he lives but chats freely about the City and is not partisan one way or t'other. Please can we stop this myth.

Roni Size is welcome to the Mem, if that's his (Brown Paper) bag - rubbish music.

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

...really, quite an outstanding piece of work. Even 25 years on. And it's by one (or two) of our own. It is one of our own. So why the hell do we never hear anything from it played at AG?

The Wurzels are ours, and we play them. Fine, no problem. Why not MA (unfortunate abbreviation)? Too laid back? Too dreamy? Too whispery? Too what, exactly?

Man Utd play Stone Roses and Joy Division songs, Man City Oasis ones (I think?), Leicester play Showaddywaddy. But we don't play Massive Attack. What have we got for brains on our PA - cotton wool?

As everything becomes more and more homogonized across every ground, here is a perfect way - along with the Wurzels - to be distinct, to say: this is Bristol. This is us.

United fans have a banner with "One Love" on it, the title of a Stone Roses song (next up: a "Fools Gold" one) and there's a song on Blue Lines with the same title. Be nice to see @WTMS or whoever knocking up a City banner with this on (although I know you don't want us copying other fans).

Be even better to hear it. Better than that user-friendly, probably franchised sub-Coldplay generic muzak that is played around kick off. What do you think?

Blue Lines tunes for this season:

Safe From Harm.

Be Thankful For What You've Got.

Five Man Midfield.

And what other local music/tunes could be played at AG?

Surely it would be cooler for Leicester to play Kasabian?!

9 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Can't believe how many times i have to post this: none of Portishead know anything about football at all. I once went to see us play at Notts Co with one-time Portishead dj Andy Smith and he has not a clue about football (and is happy that way). Nor do any of them, he said. I play 5-a-side with Geoff Barrow (and have 11-a-side for ten years). He's a Spurs fan. That's why he has a Spurs sports bag. He goes up the Mem sometimes because it's near where he lives but chats freely about the City and is not partisan one way or t'other. Please can we stop this myth.

Roni Size is welcome to the Mem, if that's his (Brown Paper) bag - rubbish music.

I only say he does because he routinely retweets rovers scores, goals etc. He certainly comes across as a fan on Twitter! 

Happy to bow down to your superior knowledge tho!

58 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Geoff used to go to City games back in the 80s, but later switched to Rovers. He justifies this betrayal by claiming that he didn't like our 'hooligan element'. I have passionately argued the absurdity and irony of this with Geoff, as have, no doubt, his pals Scott Hendy (Malachai) and Delj.

1 hour ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I thought he was living in Australia? 

3 hours ago, shelts said:

Lets play some Brilliant Corners a lovely indie band that didn't quite make it fronted by Davey Woodward from Avonmouth and a big City fan in the 90's. We could have some ' Brian Rix' or 'Teenage' now that would be scenes!!

Anyone heard of them.....I thought they was cool. Jingly jangly indie pop.

I remember 'Brian Rix' getting some regular radio play.

Archived