IGNORED

Who was our last manager to view Bristol City as their 'ideal' job?

LondonBristolian

One thing I was struck by in Korey Smith's interview was that he talks about how LJ had always said he wanted to manage here at some point in the future.  I think this is a fairly undisputed point - LJ has said so himself, as has SL and a few other people.  

Whatever anyone thinks of the guy's experience and qualifications, it is great to have a manager who really wants to be here rather than it being just another club on their CV.  (I don't mean that as a dig at SC or anyone else by the way - I mean it in the same way that most players and managers are at the club that will employ them and might give their all whilst they're here but it's not the club closest to their hearts.) Maybe if LJ can put into words the reasons he wants to be here and it's not just another club to him, it might sell the club to potential signings?

But that got me thinking - how many of the managers we've had in the past have actually been City fans (either by birth or due to growing an affinity for the club during their career)?  Tinnion's obviously one (albeit not one that worked well) and I think GJ, whilst not a fan, did say it was a club he really wanted to manage.  I imagine Alan Dicks developed a real soft spot for the club in the time he was here too but anyone else?

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Interesting with Joe Jordan.  He was an ex-player and certainly had a soft spot but he did up sticks for Hearts so I'd presume it wasn't *that* much of a dream job... 

I well remember his interview at the time.  He said something about going to Hearts being an easy decision, but at the same time leaving City was really tough for him.

1 minute ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I honestly think Steve Cotterill saw City as his dream job. Friends with a board member, West Country team, lots of potential and a billionaire owner.

:sad26:

Certainly in the early days it really felt like that.  And one of the things that struck me when he took charge was how great it was to have a boss with a West Country accent!  It's a real shame things turned so sour...

46 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And, of course, the legend that is Terry Cooper.

I'll go with this. Although he was originally from upt north, he developed a real affection for the City. He had played for Leeds in their glory days, but he seemed to get as much enjoyment from getting City promoted and playing at Wembley in the Freight Rover (or whatever it was called then) Cup.  He was also great at the annual shareholders' meetings (remember them?) when he could charm any awkward questioner with his answers. 

49 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I honestly think Steve Cotterill saw City as his dream job. Friends with a board member, West Country team, lots of potential and a billionaire owner.

:sad26:

Agreed

cotterill was was delighted to come here he honestly though he could get us to the Premier League.

Shame about lack of support from above him 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I imagine Alan Dicks developed a real soft spot for the club in the time he was here too but anyone else?

The introduction to the 1979 "Complete history of Bristol City FC" was written by AD. He states; "Driving to the interview for the Manager's job, I was in two minds whether to take the job if it was offered".

Going back to the early days; Sam Hollis wanted the job as did Harry Thickett.

5 hours ago, Bowie said:

Agreed

cotterill was was delighted to come here he honestly though he could get us to the Premier League.

Shame about lack of support from above him 

As mentioned above, SOD did too.

Let's hope LJ doesn't end up getting let down by the board. I'm not optimistic!

Great to have LJ here though. He'll give his all for the club.

I think it was the ideal job for Cotterill and Gary Johnson at their respective times. Cotterill needed to go somewhere he could have success (he is a winner after all) and us being the biggest local to him the fit was perfect. Knowing the chairman was a handy in as well.  As for Johnson, well he was also in the south west with Yeovil for a long time and viewed us as a natural step up.

It seems a huge if at the moment but if the club can finally get things right on and off the pitch, I truly believe there is no real ceiling for our club and I think we're very lucky that managers see us that way as well.

You could argue it's because most of them struggled and were sacked but how many times have we lost a manager to a higher club?

1 hour ago, roe said:

I think it was the ideal job for Cotterill and Gary Johnson at their respective times. Cotterill needed to go somewhere he could have success (he is a winner after all) and us being the biggest local to him the fit was perfect. Knowing the chairman was a handy in as well.  As for Johnson, well he was also in the south west with Yeovil for a long time and viewed us as a natural step up.

It seems a huge if at the moment but if the club can finally get things right on and off the pitch, I truly believe there is no real ceiling for our club and I think we're very lucky that managers see us that way as well.

You could argue it's because most of them struggled and were sacked but how many times have we lost a manager to a higher club?

I can't remember us losing a manager to a higher club since Joe Jordan (and he only left for Hearts). Since him I think the rest have all been sacked (apart from Tony Pulis who left for Portsmouth, and Steve Coppell who just left).

Archived