IGNORED

Parking at AG

Nomad

Mods - I've placed this in 'Stadium Matters' but thought it needed to be shown to the masses. Fell free to move (or whatever) when needed....

As a very local resident to AG with a driveway, parking is not an issue for me - I do however give away a 2nd space on my drive to a fellow red without charge. So, I was intrigued enough by the recent bcfc statement regarding parking and the pcso's coming to "enforce" them to make a few enquiries. FYI - To get the information I logged it as a complaint asking why the council/it's employees were "coning" off roads at the expense of council tax payers and then removing the cones before the end of each match (it's not always before the end but sometimes is). Here goes with the response - it's a little enlightening.

I am one of the Shift Managers for Bristol City Council's Parking Services. I have been forwarded your email in respect of the parking issues at Ashton Gate during match days.

It is with regret that I am unable to assist with this particular problem. Bristol City Council does not place the cones, these are placed on behalf of the football club by a third party. The cones are placed as advisory and not enforced by either Bristol City Council or the Police. Bristol City Council civil Enforcement Officer (CEO's) do not have the legislative powers to issue to vehicles parked on cones, which was previously unrestricted highway. This can only be enforced by the Police, however as I understand, the Police do not enforce the cones as they have been placed as advisory.

Our CEO's attend each game and enforce to any illegally parked vehicle they observe, however they can only enforce to vehicles parked on either double or single yellow lines or pedestrian dropped kerbs, not dropped kerbs for private driveways, neither can our CEO's issue to vehicles parked on pavements, this is an obstruction offence which only Police and PCSO's can deal with.

So to sum up..... The cones that stop you parking on quite a few streets are advisory only, placed at the behest and cost to our beloved BCFC. Maybe this is a longstanding goodwill gesture by the club for local residents? I've lived in these parts for nearly 50 years and do recall the 'no parking on this side of the street' from as far back as I recall. Maybe it started when we made the top flight?

My advice - ignore the cones (just don't park on the pavement / dropped kerbs or the police/pcso's will enforce).

Nomad - working for the fans of the mighty BCFC.

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm disgusted if it's the club sanctioning the prevention of lawful parking.  I hope it isn't. 

They'll probably claim (if true), that they are trying to be good neighbours.

They could be even better neighbours by arranging for busses to pick up from a wide range or areas so that people could get busses directly to the area.

Don't have to be free busses, just ones that go places.

18 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

ETM (Eddie McCormack), recycling and waste company based in Ashton Vale (used to be on South Liberty Lane). Also do all the roadworks (read traffic calming measures) and sticky out bus stops for the council.

The same. Gone massive in the last few years picking up contracts galore. He must be utterly minted by now off the back of the council work. 

Archived