IGNORED

Mark Little

EmersonsRed

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Amen to that. 

The goal also illustrated just what we missed when we gave away Brett Pitman.  A one-season wonder according to some, but imagine what he'd have made of some of Kodj's chances!

What surprised me was that he didn't start; what is it about Pitman which stops managers putting him in their starting 11?

132 goals in 416 appearances, but only 239 of them starts.  Always felt he could drift in and out of matches, but he truly was a natural finisher, and one of a very small number we've had at the club in relatively recent years.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

What surprised me was that he didn't start; what is it about Pitman which stops managers putting him in their starting 11.

132 goals in 416 appearances, but only 239 of them starts.  Always felt he could drift in and out of matches, but he truly was a natural finisher, and one a very small number we've had in relatively recent years.

He doesn't "look athletic enough" and probably isn't the best in training.  But I just knew he'd bag one when he came on

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Amen to that. 

The goal also illustrated just what we missed when we gave away Brett Pitman.  A one-season wonder according to some, but imagine what he'd have made of some of Kodj's chances!

You maybe right but one thing is for sure he would never be a suitable strike partner for Kodjia and whatever people think about Kodjia we need to be trying to find the right partner to bring the best out of him, I happen to think now we are a bit more secure at the back it needs to be somebody big, strong, brave and younger and fitter than Wilbraham and then all we need is for Pack and Freeman to find their shooting boots, Korey looks as though he knows where the target is and was unlucky yesterday not to score.

I liked what LJ said post match along the lines of 'you lose something from Korey when you don't push him forward', he looked really happy enjoying his game, another poster compared him to Gerry Gow and on yesterday's performance I wouldn't argue with that.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don't get the 'very poor' bit of your post, everything else is fine.  He got done for the goal, because he got caught square on to a lovely pass from Murphy (who was given too much space by whoever it was marking him).  He is normally quick and strong enough to put his weight on Pitman and ease him away from goal.  However Pitman prepared for the contact and then struck a shot under Litts's legs past a helpless O'Donnell.  He didn't do a lot else wrong all game.  He worked really well with Freemsn, who I thought worked hard enough defensively to stop anything down IT's left wing.  Going forward, he was his usual self, not elegant, but effective.  I'd have given him 6/10 yesterday, you might argue 5.5, but I'm not doing halves! :P

MOTM without his goals for me.  Probably his best, if not one of his best performances all season...totally dominant.  With his goals, 11/10!

Me too.  He actually brings a bit of strength to the line up too.

Thought he was the worst of the back five. 

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You maybe right but one thing is for sure he would never be a suitable strike partner for Kodjia and whatever people think about Kodjia we need to be trying to find the right partner to bring the best out of him, I happen to think now we are a bit more secure at the back it needs to be somebody big, strong, brave and younger and fitter than Wilbraham and then all we need is for Pack and Freeman to find their shooting boots, Korey looks as though he knows where the target is and was unlucky yesterday not to score.

I liked what LJ said post match along the lines of 'you lose something from Korey when you don't push him forward', he looked really happy enjoying his game, another poster compared him to Gerry Gow and on yesterday's performance I wouldn't argue with that.

Seriously. Gerry Gow! Ok I can accept a comparison on some levels in style, but in ability? The bloke (GG) bossed the midfield of almost every game he played in the country's top division and has an FA CUP finalists medal (gutted it was not a winners medal) into the bargain. Korey has a long road before any kind of level comparison can be made. 

As for Pitman. Well that is an argument that history won't win on its own but would you honestly not have Pitman and Codge as first choice forwards together over what we have for the rest of this season. 

8 minutes ago, shelts said:

Thought he was the worst of the back five. 

He might well of been, but was that because the others were excellent yesterday?

I just don't get the "very poor" comment (not made by you), it's massively over critical (and wrong) in my opinion.  But that's all it is, opinions.  We all see different things in the match, even though we are watching the same game.

He's not our best player, granted, but he does give us a bit of brute force and ignorance when he's firing.  His closing down in the first half stopped IT getting any decent out ball down their left, and helped us keep the pressure on them.. That kind of stuff goes unnoticed.

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He might well of been, but was that because the others were excellent yesterday?

I just don't get the "very poor" comment (not made by you), it's massively over critical (and wrong) in my opinion.  But that's all it is, opinions.  We all see different things in the match, even though we are watching the same game.

He's not our best player, granted, but he does give us a bit of brute force and ignorance when he's firing.  His closing down in the first half stopped IT getting any decent out ball down their left, and helped us keep the pressure on them.. That kind of stuff goes unnoticed.

The rest of the back five are better players than Little. I would be massively surprised if he was first choice at the start of next season providing we stay up. I'm sorry if this is unpopular amongst you guys. Won't fault his commitment to the cause. 

COYR

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

The rest of the back five are better players than Little. I would be massively surprised if he was first choice at the start of next season providing we stay up. I'm sorry if this is unpopular amongst you guys. Won't fault his commitment to the cause. 

COYR

That is fine...my ratings in another thread show he was the worst of the back 5, but he was still a 6/10.

23 hours ago, coxyboy said:

Little is without doubt the weak link. Utter garbage for me. Does not mark, track back, keep his shape etc. I would say a joke of a player and will be hopefully be disposed of end of season. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

What a horrible post.  

That's not how you talk to coxy boy, mate. This is how you talk to coxyboy:

23 hours ago, coxyboy said:

Little is without doubt the weak link. Utter garbage for me. Does not mark, track back, keep his shape etc. I would say a joke of a player and will be hopefully be disposed of end of season. 

Yeh, what's ur point knob?

The thing people need to realise with Mark Little is that he isn't technically gifted, he can't waltz past players like Ayling does and his isn't the most comfortable on the ball. But he is an athlete which is why he is in the team. He has pace and energy in abundance and apart from the goal is normally not the worst defender. I think LJ will improve him as a player as he has some clear flaws but at the moment is our best option at RB

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Seriously. Gerry Gow! Ok I can accept a comparison on some levels in style, but in ability? The bloke (GG) bossed the midfield of almost every game he played in the country's top division and has an FA CUP finalists medal (gutted it was not a winners medal) into the bargain. Korey has a long road before any kind of level comparison can be made. 

As for Pitman. Well that is an argument that history won't win on its own but would you honestly not have Pitman and Codge as first choice forwards together over what we have for the rest of this season. 

The comment was based on Saturday's performance and for the record a period Gerry Gow would certainly have to modify his game for the modern version of the game, something i'm sure he would be capable of but something would be missing from that game.

As for the last sentence no way in the world do I believe that pairing would be a suitable pairing for us or anybody, they would not IMO compliment each other in any way, shape or form, IMO Kodjia needs the right partner, you cannot pair random players together in a team and that pairing would certainly be random, it's my opinion and one that will almost certainly never be tested.

Have to agree with the OP that Little is bar far our weakest link, if you look at a lot of our goals conceded this season & there are some important ones, its mainly from their left flank where he's unable to stop crosses, either outpaced & unable to tackle or making individual mistakes, if you cant keep up with Pitman who is one of the slowest attackers in this league then you don't stand a chance..  Get Ayling Back asap

It shows how far we've come in last 5-6 games when Litts is our main problem in the defence.  Ayling will fill the spot again when fit but I don't think ML has been that bad in a defence that's conceeded 2 goals in the last 5 league games.

11 minutes ago, Angry Robin said:

Have to agree with the OP that Little is bar far our weakest link, if you look at a lot of our goals conceded this season & there are some important ones, its mainly from their left flank where he's unable to stop crosses, either outpaced & unable to tackle or making individual mistakes, if you cant keep up with Pitman who is one of the slowest attackers in this league then you don't stand a chance..  Get Ayling Back asap

Sorry but cannot agree. Ayling is very very good as an attacker. But as a defender, which is his main function, his positional play is wanting, he is often outpaced by opponents and is not that good in the air.

This is not a post to slag Ayling and conversely to make Little look better but to make the point that all of our squad are good League One players who are making very determined efforts to adapt to the Championship.

Some may make it and some will fall by the wayside but not for lack of effort and committment to the shirt.

13 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The weird problem with Pitman was that I never really thought he worked on his own or in a strike partnership.  Absolutely superb finisher but surprsingly hard to slot into a team. 

1 hour ago, Angry Robin said:

Little has been involved in 21 games this season. And of those 21 only 6 were defeats. Overall, we've lost 16 of our 34 games. He's been involved either as sub or starting in all 7 of our wins. He's almost a lucky charm with those stats

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry but cannot agree. Ayling is very very good as an attacker. But as a defender, which is his main function, his positional play is wanting, he is often outpaced by opponents and is not that good in the air.

This is not a post to slag Ayling and conversely to make Little look better but to make the point that all of our squad are good League One players who are making very determined efforts to adapt to the Championship.

Some may make it and some will fall by the wayside but not for lack of effort and committment to the shirt.

I wouldn't mind betting that statistically Ayling has close to the most last ditch tackles of anybody in our defence.

The comment was based on Saturday's performance and for the record a period Gerry Gow would certainly have to modify his game for the modern version of the game, something i'm sure he would be capable of but something would be missing from that game.

As for the last sentence no way in the world do I believe that pairing would be a suitable pairing for us or anybody, they would not IMO compliment each other in any way, shape or form, IMO Kodjia needs the right partner, you cannot pair random players together in a team and that pairing would certainly be random, it's my opinion and one that will almost certainly never be tested.

Yes without doubt GG would have to modify his game as would just about every ball winner of the period. Gerry would be able to as he had ability, others that spring to mind may not. However as you say about Pitman and since he is one of Ipswich leading scorers this season, often from the bench, it will definitely not be tested! Nevertheless we really have not got a partner for Kodjia, which was my point and Pitman would be at least as good as anyone we have ( until now). We have largely misused JK up until now due to SC having no faith in Wes or Kieran to partner the bloke in his style of play and Wilbo not having the puff for the 90. We will see how LL and Pembo change our approach and to what extent that effects our current forwards

42 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I wouldn't mind betting that statistically Ayling has close to the most last ditch tackles of anybody in our defence.

I'm always a bit skeptical about that sort of stat.  Not directing this at Ayling particularly but I always suspect defenders who make lots of last-ditch tackles are the defenders who get themselves into the most situations where a last-ditch tackle needs to be made...

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I think you are correct...and the fact he has to make 'last ditch tackles' many times speaks volumes.

These last ditch tackles often get a round of applause in the UK...in Europe they would be shaking their heads.

Last ditch tackles are often the result of a player not understanding his role, being out of position or not on the same wave length as his team mates.

Aylings problems arise like you say as he loses concentration on his defensive duties.

Granted...good as an offensive defender...but needs to wise up on his defensive positioning.

That could well be very true. But conversely how many have we conceded because he had gone walkabout? Not bashing him or anyone else. If none of our players ever made mistakes, they would not be here but playing for Real, Barca or similar.

If one watches the video of Ipswich goal. It happened so quickly from a clearance by O'Donnell who put his clearance straight to the Ipswich left back (look at O'Donnells annoyance at himself on the video). Their LB plays it first time to Murphy who in turn passes first touch to Pitman whose finish was the mark of a good striker. He rolled it in at the far post.

That class of finishing is something that perhap JK should look at and practice rather than trying to break the back of the net most times. Again not a criticism of JK but all of our players have much to learn. But they are all tons better now than back in August.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

That could well be very true. But conversely how many have we conceded because he had gone walkabout? Not bashing him or anyone else. If none of our players ever made mistakes, they would not be here but playing for Real, Barca or similar.

If one watches the video of Ipswich goal. It happened so quickly from a clearance by O'Donnell who put his clearance straight to the Ipswich left back (look at O'Donnells annoyance at himself on the video). Their LB plays it first time to Murphy who in turn passes first touch to Pitman whose finish was the mark of a good striker. He rolled it in at the far post.

That class of finishing is something that perhap JK should look at and practice rather than trying to break the back of the net most times. Again not a criticism of JK but all of our players have much to learn. But they are all tons better now than back in August.

Again I wouldn't mind betting when you look at a majority of goals that we have conceded this season it is more likely to show either a midfield failure to pick up midfield runners, poor decision making by midfielders with a poor pass, poor tackling by midfielders, backing off by our midfielders or rash tackles in and around our box because of any of the points mentioned.

Archived