IGNORED

Kodger - lightweight or what?

Robbored

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Of course he knows we need that old fella ;-) He's just evaluating who would compliment him best.

and will this evaluation be complete by the end of April :shifty:

So can't criticise Little but can criticise Kodjia OK.

This how I saw his performance today he and Tomlin certainly for an hour kept Ipswich's defence on their toes, they certainly knew that there was a threat from them both, because even 2-0 Ipswich were not overly ambitious in the game, but neither being to much of a real goal threat, but what the close marking both received for that hour did create was chances for midfielders, Smith was unlucky twice and Pack should have hit the target at least when under no real pressure, there were reasonable opportunities for Bryan as well. When a team closely mark 2 players it gives others extra space and that's the way I saw it.

Sometimes strikers don't have to offer a goal threat to have done a decent job, LJ more shooting practice for the midfielders please.

And finally the substitutions were spot on because Agard and Wilbraham offered a different challenge to the Ipswich defence and it took them a while to re adapt.

Looked like he didn't want to be out there today to me.

Walked around no movement, feigned a couple of injuries one where he ran into the back of their player and held his ribs for a good 5 mins which meant on the 2 corners that followed he took no notice at all.

He was also wearing trousers under his shorts I think he just didn't want a scarp in the cold wet weather! Might be being harsh but was not at the races at all today.

I'm not sure he will ever get the time and space here that he enjoyed in Ligue 2.

He needs to be a bit more composed and maybe not so desperate to score, easier said than done of course. Also I do think a few fans got carried away when he arrived and thought he would pick up where he left off in France.

He will probably improve, though personally, I'd swap him for Pitman any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm not sure he will ever get the time and space here that he enjoyed in Ligue 2.

He needs to be a bit more composed and maybe not so desperate to score, easier said than done of course. Also I do think a few fans got carried away when he arrived and thought he would pick up where he left off in France.

He will probably improve, though personally, I'd swap him for Pitman any day of the week.

Just out of interest when was the last time we actually played to his strengths?.

51 minutes ago, Robbored said:

When Codger did a Player interview - with a translator - one of the questions he was asked was the difference between the Champioship and the French League he was playing in. The first thing he said was the physicality. That was a few weeks ago.

Looks to me as if he's still not acclimatised to Champioship yet and he really does need to beef up. If he had Agards physic then he'd hold his own far more effectively.

The problem is if you bulk up a player like that too quickly then they lose their pace for a bit so you have to be really careful otherwise you have to drop them then they lack sharpness and pace and it ends in a never ending downward spiral of the player being worse an worse.

I wold say to him head back to france for a couple of weeks do some upper body and core weights but dont go crazy and keep sprinting - stay away from the club for a bit and get plenty of rest, come back refreshed just like a mini summer break. I think we would see a different Kodjia (The one who started this season).

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Just out of interest when was the last time we actually played to his strengths?.

Championship teams are well organised and don't generally push up that much, so there is not the space to get behind them. So you have to have a high conversion rate when a chance does occur. As so abley demonstrated by Pitman today.

Kodjia excites but doesn't deliver as much as he ought to IMO. Certainly not over the last few months.

Wow, it seems we have people with short memories in here.

He is always making runs and calling for it but of course you are going to conclude he isn't doing much when the ball is not fed to him where he wants it!

and ofcourse he will be always offside if a passes are always a second late

He has had better games but he is working hard for the team

Kodjia quite clearly is a forward who wants to either play off the shoulder or have the ball at his feet running at defenders.  He is not a back to the goal forward, he is not strong aerially and he is not the sort to lead the line alone.  That we've used him like that all season and he's still our top scorer ought to tell anybody with a clue how good he would be if we used him properly.  

5 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Championship teams are well organised and don't generally push up that much, so there is not the space to get behind them. So you have to have a high conversion rate when a chance does occur. As so abley demonstrated by Pitman today.

Kodjia excites but doesn't deliver as much as he ought to IMO. Certainly not over the last few months.

Until Tomlin arrived we have had nobody and I mean nobody who had the skill to slide a ball in behind a defence and until Bryan came back today Tomlin has been playing wide left, give it a chance I think once Tomlin is fitter and they get an understanding I think you might see better performances, as I said in my earlier post both Kodjia and Tomlin were both well marked throughout today, but that in turn allowed midfielders to gain good shooting opportunities again the shooting part needs work.

2 minutes ago, hortonred said:

Not worth the money we paid and has missed chance after chance.Great result today but please for pity's sake bring in some strikers this week Lee.

Yes of course there will be loads of strikers who are scoring at the moment available during an emergency loan window coming into the business end of a season.

12 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

He's absolutely shot for confidence.  I think Ashton Boy is right, little time on the bench won't harm.

or is it the leggings that he had on today hampering his movement :P

Scrumpy the mascot without the head.......

57 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Really don't think he will be with us next season. I think he will end up moving back to France.

Don't think he is settling in English football or settling in to the squad. 

Funny I was sat next to Kodjias family yesterday, they were saying how happy he is here.

If we play the three behind the front man, I'd like to see Kodjia tried on the right of the three. Scope to run onto the ball and still score from there. For example:

Kodjia           Tomlin           Freeman

Wilb.

I think Wilb. does have a role to play, not least occupying defenders to create opps for others. Agard was also good when he came off the bench; he can play right or centre like Kodjia. Freeman can play anywhere along those three. Bryan can play left as he did today. We have already seen Tomlin play left and middle (I prefer him in the middle). Shows we have options there including through subs during games. 

I was pleased yesterday that unlike v Birmingham we didn't hit many (any?) aimless long balls up to Kodjia that he never looks like winning. We did hit the channels occasionally which makes mores sense. Perhaps this is Johnson's influence.

He's out of form; no question.

But that doesn't make him a bad player, and I think (as others have outlined) he is being asked to play a role that isn't best suited to his skill set, and certainly doesn't use his biggest asset in the shape of his pace.

He is not as sharp as he was earlier in the season, that is clear, but part of me wonders if the sort of performance Agard put in yesterday might end up really helping Kodjia, as the industry and sharpness Keiron displayed could we'll see him starting a few in that solo role (his hold up play was superb), meaning Kodjia can be benched, then get a chance to have a go at flagging defences, either alone or with Wilbraham alongside him.

I for one would love to see him thrown on against MK Dons defence after around 60 mins next week, as even in the highlights from last night, I think they look ponderous and gave a confidence-lacking Derby side too much space, so giving a fresh Kodjia half an hour against them after they've been dealing with Tomlin, Freeman and co could be the trick in restoring his confidence.

Didn't see a crap performance at all.  I thought he did alright.  Worked hard, posed a threat, laid the ball off nicely numerous times.   I agree that we don't play to his strengths - how often have you seem him run onto a slide rule pass this season?  Just maybe Wilbs and Agard did so well because of the movement Kodjia and Tomlin made in tiring out their centre backs.  

Anyway, why are City fans looking for players to knock after a win?  As far as I'm concerned you ask questions after a defeat and enjoy a win.

Archived