IGNORED

Yorkshire

Kid in the Riot

Thinking of spending a few days either side of the Hull game up in Yorkshire and was wondering if anyone had any tips/recommendations for things to do?

I know we have a few Yorkshire locals/enthusiasts on here. 

I definitely want to visit York as never been but aside from that open to suggestions. In particular brewery tours and places to go for a walk would be nice. 

Yep, definitely recommend York. If they've re-opened it since the flooding, do the Jorvik Centre. An eye-opener. 

If you're a walk around ruins sort of guy, drive north-east a bit from York to Rievaulx Abbey.  Spectacular and some great walks. Then you can take the Pickering to Kirkbymoorside road which takes you into Rydale via the most amazing views I can recall seeing from my car. Kirkbymoorside is a nice little market town with some decent boozers.

On t'way back south you need to go to Malham for the amazing rock formations - much used in Doctor Who and geography field trips. From Malham you can walk to Hebden Bridge  (it's a bit of a trek, but worth it). Hebden has the reputation as the lesbian capital of the north but don't let that put you off. It's a funky little place with decent pubs and eateries and some fascinating industrial heritage.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thinking of spending a few days either side of the Hull game up in Yorkshire and was wondering if anyone had any tips/recommendations for things to do?

I definitely want to visit York as never been but aside from that open to suggestions. In particular brewery tours and places to go for a walk would be nice. 

York is really nice in and around the shambles, if you can up farther Whitby is another great place and of course Harrogate.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Er, I wouldn't go that far.

But the National Film and TV museum (or whatever they call it these days) is worth a visit. Then nip up to the Alhambra for a veggie curry at Hansa's. 

Go up a bit into the hills behind it and places like Haworth are lovely.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If you're after a brewery tour you could take in the Theakston brewery at Masham. Tripadvisor reviews here.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g670891-d2441073-Reviews-Theakston_Brewery-Masham_North_Yorkshire_England.html

With regard to walking, yes to Malham as Robbo suggests but the walk south to Hebden Bridge is one hell of a trek. I'd be more inclined to head north along the Pennine Way to Pen-y -Ghent,. This is where the Pennine Way really starts to open out into wonderful walking country.

29 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Strange place, they are renowned for being tight, but then let pubs get away with serving 2/3 a pint of beer and 1/3 head.......  

Hehe. A friend of mine's Yorkshire dad used to say the beer down south was as flat "as a model's tits" (no, I don't follow the logic either) and whenever he came to Kent to visit her would insist on an empty glass along with his pint. He'd then pour the bitter between the two until he had two half-pints that were 40% foam.

I'd second the recommendation to walk up Malham Cove, but extend the walk to take in Malham Tarn, Janet's Foss, and Gordale Scar at the same time.

The area around Muker and Keld in Swaledale is stunning walking country, beautiful and quiet, rocky, waterfalls, rare wild flower meadows etc.

A favourite of mine is walking the circumference of Semer Water in Wensleydale, starting at Marsett Bridge and taking in Stalling Busk - the valley is like Shangri La.

Some fine old pubs around which need support out of season, so don't forget to use them.;)

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks for the recommendations y'all.

Surprised Yorkshire-philes @chipdawg and @YorkshireSection didn't pipe up tho :blink:

Sorry, I've been avoiding the non football boards because we had a baby a couple of months ago and I don't have the time or energy to get into an argument on the internet anymore! 

Without reading what others have said, York is a great for an afternoon wander. Google pub crawls in York, there's one to suit every taste and some of the old pubs themselves are worth visiting for the atmosphere as much as the beer. Jorvik centre is still closed for the foreseeable future, so the Minster (which is very impressive) is your best bet for indoors culture

The best 'mainstream' brewery tour I've done is Black Sheep, but Northern Monk in Leeds or Magic Rock in Huddersfield are better and both near to railway stations. Leeds is worth a visit for the pub scene, as is Sheffield. Bradford is worth a visit for the Film & Photography museum and the curry- wander up into the neighbourhood behind the university and find a 'pop up' curry house, i.e. illegal!, in the back of a shop if they still do them

Walks wise, there are too many to count. Malham Cove is very impressive, but my favourite is Pen Y Ghent/Whernside/Ingleborough around the Ribblehead viaduct. The full 3 peaks is 20-odd miles, but you can do any number of little loops. Gunner side is also great, as are areas around Bolton and Riveaulx Abbeys

If you want to go REALLY Yorkshire though, get yourself to the National Coal Mining Museum and get thar'sen daarn t'pit lad! (It's genuinely really cool!)

Archived