IGNORED

1989-90 Team List

Thommo

2 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

It was 5-0 mate. Super Bob got a hat trick

What a night that was , we ended up sitting in the seats along the side with the Swansea fans and a certain person from Tetbury went for a pee and missed two goals.

When we scored our fifth one of our lot was baying for more when an old Welsh sailor in front said my boy if you score again your are is going out that window!

We still laugh to this day

Probably my favourite City team of all time. Great season (apart from the game at Trumpton obviously) that was.

Gotta say though, the football played in those highlights is awful although the pitch certainly didn't help. Good to see some proper challenges going in too, with no players rolling around after the slightest touch.

My first live FA Cup game, I was 11. Remember walking out the ground after and we had to walk past the Chelsea supporters in the open end, my step dad had to hide me under his coat as a rain of sharpened coins came down on us. My step dad got cut pretty bad, scarey stuff for an 11 year old!

the Chelsea fans that day were obviously not happy!!

15 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

City team 89/90:
Leaning, Sinclair, Llewellyn, Humphries, Newman, Bryant, May, Pender, Smith, Gavin, Shelton, Rennie, Bent, Taylor, Turner, Morgan, Ferguson, Horrix.

Off the top of my head that

I put the team above.  Matt Bryant a few years later than that.  Bent also. Horrix was season after I think.  

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Think he played centre back for a fair few games mate. 

Nope was Newman and Humphries apart from start of the season when Pender played. If I remember rightly Wimbledon came in for a few games in midfield can't remember is shells or Rennie were injured or it was tactical. He got bombed out after the Tranmere debacle after bumming around in a hastily arranged training/friendly not long after.

Only time Rennie went to the back was as cover after a injury during games in that season. Biff and Rennie could interchange to let Newman get forward during games

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Nope was Newman and Humphries apart from start of the season when Pender played. If I remember rightly Wimbledon came in for a few games in midfield can't remember is shells or Rennie were injured or it was tactical. He got bombed out after the Tranmere debacle after bumming around in a hastily arranged training/friendly not long after.

Only time Rennie went to the back was as cover after a injury during games in that season. Biff and Rennie could interchange to let Newman get forward during games

thank you sir

18 minutes ago, TRL said:

Wimbledon only lasted a fortnight

18 minutes ago, TRL said:

Wimbleton started the season in the side because Shelton joined after a couple of games, but as you say, he was fired out pretty quickly by Joe.

My recollection is that he played on the right instead of Gavin (or with Mark played as a striker instead of Robbie Turner) with Shelton and Rennie a virtually permanent fixture in centre mid on those rare occasions that he did get in.

45 minutes ago, TRL said:

Perhaps I remember Rennie playing centre back in another season then but he definitely did 

Bloody brilliant. When did football change so much, this wasn't THAT long ago! Proper challenges, team spirit, no rolling around after a tackle, not even much arguing with the referee! And what an atmosphere. Heady days indeed. Shame I was too young back then and couldn't really understand it all or be properly involved it must've been great to be in your late teens / twenties back then with no responsibilities, I can certainly see why people hark back to those days..........

4 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I too have fond memories of the 1989/90 season :)

Weren't we 75-1 with some bookies for us to finish first and second in any order before that season? A guy at work filled his boots.

I'll never forget the desolate feeling after the last game at home to Walsall, we'd been promoted but everyone around me was gutted.

You well and truly ruined a great season for us....I never walk out of games early but at 3-0 at your place I just couldn't take anymore and trudged off into the night, hating the world and longing for a bottle of Newkie Brown and a Jesus & Mary Chain b-side to cheer me up.....

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Weren't we 75-1 with some bookies for us to finish first and second in any order before that season? A guy at work filled his boots.

I'll never forget the desolate feeling after the last game at home to Walsall, we'd been promoted but everyone around me was gutted.

You well and truly ruined a great season for us....I never walk out of games early but at 3-0 at your place I just couldn't take anymore and trudged off into the night, hating the world and longing for a bottle of Newkie Brown and a Jesus & Mary Chain b-side to cheer me up.....

The worst of it for me was it was my bloody birthday and not only did I have to suffer the match I had to put up with them calling their fanzine The Second Of May for years afterwards. It was only redeemed many years later when they got relegated to the 4th division on the same date and strangely the fanzine disappeared shortly afterwards.

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Sinclair

Llewellyn** Humphries** Newman** Bailey

Gavin** Shelton** Rennie **Smith

Taylor **Turner

Subs: Miller , Mellon

Good team that, followed them everywhere but can't drink like that any more :yawn:

That was my era too. Followed them home and away, hardly missed a match. Back in the days of being young, free and single(ish). Not a care in the world, then life gets gets a hold of you and gives you a good kicking and the occasional high. Wish I knew then what I know now.

RedM feeling old tonight. :sad26:

59 minutes ago, lenred said:

Bloody brilliant. When did football change so much, this wasn't THAT long ago! Proper challenges, team spirit, no rolling around after a tackle, not even much arguing with the referee! And what an atmosphere. Heady days indeed. Shame I was too young back then and couldn't really understand it all or be properly involved it must've been great to be in your late teens / twenties back then with no responsibilities, I can certainly see why people hark back to those days..........

The away lot getting soaked

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

The worst of it for me was it was my bloody birthday and not only did I have to suffer the match I had to put up with them calling their fanzine The Second Of May for years afterwards. It was only redeemed many years later when they got relegated to the 4th division on the same date and strangely the fanzine disappeared shortly afterwards.

Then on the third of May, they dropped into non-league football

14 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Your birthday?! That must have been like my misery x1000!!

But like you said, Wycombe relegated them on the same date to annihilate their fanzine title and they went down to the Conference on nearly the same date - was it May 3rd??

Anyway, they won't admit it but they are gutted to see our new ground and how it dominates the south Bristol skyline.

They left Eastville, playing the last game in front of a pitiful, tiny crowd. Then moved to a non league ground and then back home to steal the rugby ground from Bristol.

But look at them now! I'll never forget the post on their forum (seems like years ago now!) along the lines of:

"The diggers are moving in in September and we will then pass the sh*t on the way up and will forever be the premier club in Bristol with the best ground" - so, how did that work out for them?!

As I always say, better Red than green with envy........

Archived