IGNORED

1989-90 Team List

Thommo

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

That was my era too. Followed them home and away, hardly missed a match. Back in the days of being young, free and single(ish). Not a care in the world, then life gets gets a hold of you and gives you a good kicking and the occasional high. Wish I knew then what I know now.

RedM feeling old tonight. :sad26:

I'm with you! Followed that team everywhere! Loved every minute! Beat Walsall away 0-2 on my birthday and Bob Taylor threw me his sweat bands! 

Love your phrase "life gets a hold of you and gives you a good kicking" - spot on!!

Life was carefree back then - still, I'm determined that I will grow old, but not up......

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Tony Gubba had a good game there. How much did we flog Robbie Turner for in the end?

Wow watched the Chelsea highlights,then the Liverpool   in 74 6th round after we had knocked leeds out.

What a different game is was back then.

Every player in our side loved a tackle tainton  and gillies looked supurb and you can here the East End singing the songs that we still have now. Apart from hello,hello, City Agroo City Agro!!!!

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

I put the team above.  Matt Bryant a few years later than that.  Bent also. Horrix was season after I think.  

I'm pretty sure that we signed Dean Horrix during the promotion season. It was terrible that he died at such a young age and so soon after joining us.

I'm less sure about this but I've got a feeling Junior Bent joined us that season as well. I don't think he played much, but I vaguely remember him playing in that last game against Walsall (maybe as a sub).

11 minutes ago, Offside said:

I'm pretty sure that we signed Dean Horrix during the promotion season. It was terrible that he died at such a young age and so soon after joining us.

I'm less sure about this but I've got a feeling Junior Bent joined us that season as well. I don't think he played much, but I vaguely remember him playing in that last game against Walsall (maybe as a sub).

On the way back from away game at Shrewsbury (another Super Bob Hattrick?).

12 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

On the way back from away game at Shrewsbury (another Super Bob Hattrick?).

You are right he died in a car crash after Shrewsbury but no Hat trick as think Smith may have hit a late winner??

Anyone go to the Den for the Dean Horrix tribute game think a coach from City did if memory serves.

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fixtures/1989_1990/bristol_city/index.shtml

This should answer some questions!

Broke my heart as a child to see that lot pip us at the death and if Bob Taylor hadn't gone out injured for our last few games, we would have done it I'm sure.

We were a great side that played exciting attacking football and they were a horrible bunch of long ball cloggers that got results through pure grit and effort.

Still, 3 years later they were relegated back again - never to return!

10 hours ago, lenred said:

Bloody brilliant. When did football change so much, this wasn't THAT long ago! Proper challenges, team spirit, no rolling around after a tackle, not even much arguing with the referee! And what an atmosphere. Heady days indeed. Shame I was too young back then and couldn't really understand it all or be properly involved it must've been great to be in your late teens / twenties back then with no responsibilities, I can certainly see why people hark back to those days..........

One of the best city teams EVER!

13 hours ago, RedDave said:

It's not true but whatever 

As you imply, it's hardly worth getting into an argument about it, but my recollection also is that Rennie could play very effectively in both positions and did in fact fill in at the back when injuries made it necessary.

He was a cracking player, actually, and much under-rated by a small minority. He was derided by some because he had no pace at all (hence the"taxi for Rennie" jibes) but he was an elegant footballer and a superb passer of the ball. Excellent in the air, too. 

When that fine team broke up - far too soon, which was a tragedy - he went to play, successfully and for some time, for Coventry in the old First Division (I think in defence, but I couldn't swear to that), demonstrating that then as now there will always be a tiny but gobby section of the fan base who are not very bright, don't understand the game and above all can't recognise a good player when they see one. Some things don't change....

12 hours ago, RedDave said:

Perhaps I remember Rennie playing centre back in another season then but he definitely did 

You're quite right.  He played a few games at centre back the following season, but it was never a success.  Of course, he came to us predominantly as a centre back from Leeds.

Thinking back to the signings prior to the 1989/90 season, people might remember there were two Daves (Smith and Rennie) and two Pauls (Wimbleton and France).  Paul WImbleton looked a great signing from Cardiff, having tormented us in a match the previous season, but never lived up to expectations.  Paul France was a young full back who never made a first team appearance (I think he came from Huddersfield).  I wonder what happened to him?

I was living out near Frome at the time and saw City play two pre-season friendlies at Trowbridge Town and Westbury United.  I remember John Atyeo being at the Westbury game (it being near his home).  Even in the pre-season there was a feeling that something special was going on...

9 minutes ago, redfred said:

I too recall him playing in both positions and I'm sure Rennie was playing centre half when he got sent off vs Tranmere in our narrow 6-0 Friday night defeat 

No, I'm pretty sure Rennie didn't once play at centre back in 1989/90, but he did play in that position a few times the following season.  Wasn't it after the Tranmere game when Jordan gave up on John Pender and switched to playing Glenn Humphries with Rob Newman?

I'm pretty sure Rennie played centre half on a fair few occasions too....

As for that team, brings a tear to the eye. And I'll say it again, I know Humphries was loved by everyone for the way he played, Taylor & Turner just tore the place up, Biff was a local legend, Gavin & Smith were just fantastic down the wings, but Gary Shelton held that all together. Was always covered head to foot in mud by about 20 mins, he was just everywhere. Not the most glamorous of players, but I just loved that bloke

16 hours ago, archie andrews said:

lets say he never started games as a cb only covering in 1 or 2

Can't be 100% sure without checking every team sheet, and I don't really care but ... 

I thought Rennie only started playing in defence when he moved to  Cov.  For my 5p's worth thought he was underrated when he was here, very good player.........

wherever he played :whistle:

39 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm pretty sure Rennie played centre half on a fair few occasions too....

As for that team, brings a tear to the eye. And I'll say it again, I know Humphries was loved by everyone for the way he played, Taylor & Turner just tore the place up, Biff was a local legend, Gavin & Smith were just fantastic down the wings, but Gary Shelton held that all together. Was always covered head to foot in mud by about 20 mins, he was just everywhere. Not the most glamorous of players, but I just loved that bloke

Gary Shelton:worship2:

Archived